• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
The Heat are professionals on the court but in terms of the media they might as well be little kids. And yes that includes Spo. So easy to **** on this team. :urg:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Seriously though, I don't like how Bosh admitted that they were THAT desperate to get a win. It tells you something about a team mentally.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
What was wrong with them wanting the game really badly?

EDIT: LOLOLOLOL I told you those Arroyo fans were cancers! Have fun w/ them Boston!

From a Celtics fan- "Should have seen the celtics board after last night. I mean, I know we lost to the clippers at home, but a bunch of arroyo fans are talkin about benching Rondo for him."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It shows the team was cracking mentally. I understand the premise you need to have the attitude of winning every game, but when you admit there was desperation, then that means there is something wrong. ESPECIALLY in the regular season. If you look at teams that have been contenders for a while...Spurs, Lakers, Boston, even the Mavs...whenever they had these slumps, they would never say something like that. You'll just hear the same old tune of "We executed" Or "Defensively, we did a good job". You don't hear them say "Yeah, we were really desperate to win this one". That's not championship mentality.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
You also have to factor in just how much heat (lol) these guys are getting from the media. It's insane and almost obsessive tbh. Wade even said in an interview that after the Spo "crying indecent" he was too ashamed to even turn on his TV to watch college basketball.

But I personally believe Bosh has been having one of the hardest times on this team than anyone. He's definitely had the hardest time adjusting to being on this team. It's obvious he's a very emotional player and before his performance tonight his morale was probably very, very low. I don't think he was used to the amount of verbal abuse he was getting from the media and he was probably starting to doubt himself a lot more than he'd like to admit. Plus throughout the season he has constantly been criticized as not being a real superstar and stuff like that so these losses and poor performances most likely just added to his misery.

So when he was talking about his desperation I think he was not only just talking about the team, but secretly about himself w/o directly saying it.

And I'm sure nearly all teams go through rough times (as well as have thoughts) like the Heat were having... It's just that for whatever reason the Heat feel as if they should be the first team to let their feelings out in the open...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm not giving Miami any leeway here. They decided to form this super team, they decided to have a parade before the season started, as if thinking the season was going to be a cake walk or something. When they win, they get all the praise in the world, but when they lose, they do get criticized heavily. You can't have it one way, and you gotta take both. They are going to be getting a lot of **** as long as they are together, so best get used to it.

It's kind of sad how this team is a bit weak mentally. You got so many veterans on this team, along with a champion in Wade. I'm actually most concerned about Bosh, because he just looks like a guy who is going to have problems in the playoffs. This in turn puts pressure on LBJ and Wade to play well every game. If they can't...gg.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I blame the lack of mental toughness 95% on Coach Spoelstra. He may be smart but in terms of motivating a team to play to their best abilities, controlling his players, and not allowing everyone to **** all over this team he's terrible. Spo is a weak *** coach and I'm sick of his 5th grade post game interviews.

"It's a process"
"Believe in the system"
"This loss will make us better"
"There are a couple of guys crying in the locker room right now" <---Nice job *** hole.
"Don't let go of the rope" <----WTF?
AND THE BEST OF ALL
"We don't have any answers right now"

Mentally weak coach = mentally weak players.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559

theeboredone

Smash Legend
That is greatness right there.

But honestly, Kobe did cost them that game. If he had just relied on Gasol more, they would have won. Gasol has to demand the ball in that situation, or tell Kobe afterwards "I need the ball". Kobe should have looked to be playmaker, not shot chucker in this game. Gasol was doing work downlow and was hitting those open jumpers. And there's always Fish for that clutch 3 if you need him.

One thing I never liked about Kobe is that, just when you think he's learned a lesson or two, he regresses. Case and point...when Fisher told him to stop shooting in Game 7, they won because he played team ball. I understand if there are some games where your teammates don't have it, and you gotta chuck up shots, but this game wasn't one of them. Everyone was contributing.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Oh yeah, T Mac's return to the court after a week of DNP's from his coach was fairly impressive. On a good team, what's his talent capable of? T Mac in New York? I'd die.

/Suspect namesearch?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Isn't Suspect banned?

T-Mac is done. Through. Washed up. Should have signed with the Lakers in the off-season if he had any chance of making a come back.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Nah, he got unbanned in like 2 days.

T-Mac's still got flashes of that talent though. I'm not saying he's worth the big bucks, and maybe not even a starter, but could you imagine him on a team with Melo and Amare for a fairly minimal contract? Jesus.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, I was secretly hoping he would have signed with the Lakers during the off-season. He would have been a genuine backup to Kobe. Considering how inconsistent Brown and Blake are, we could definitely use T-Mac.

Speaking of Blake, why is it that every good 3 point shooter we sign, ends up sucking. For his career, he's a 40% 3 point shooter, but he's down to 37% this year. Vujacic had that one career year, but has not done well since. Farmar was up and down. Chris Brown started out around 42% for the first two months, but has regressed to 36%

Our top 2 best 3 point shooters right now are Fisher at 40% and Lamar Odom at 38% LOL. Gasol is 1/2.

Edit: Lakers rarely complain about foul calls in post game interviews, but Kobe was adamant about getting fouled on that corner 3 by Wade when he chucked up an airball. I don't know if he was fouled or not given TNT never showed another angle on it. It was a bad shot to begin with, but if he was fouled that badly, way to swallow your whistles ref.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6204941

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Some line I read on ESPN: "The Lakers' winning ways came to an end in Miami, when L.A.'s big men disappeared and left a frustrated Kobe Bryant to shoulder the load."

**** that.

Kobe went 8-21 for 24 points with only 2 assists and 3 turnovers. Bynum, on the other hand, had an excellent game, going 4-5 with 13 points and 12 rebounds, while Gasol was solid with 8-16 shooting for 20 points and 5 rebounds. Why does the media never admit it when Kobe kills a game for the Lakers?

Smash Master
Kobe is the most overrated, overhyped player in the history of professional sports. If ****ing Russel Westbrook had prime Shaq he'd win more than 3 rings with him. His shot attempts record is miles ahead of his scoring record.

Also, I'm glad miami won. **** the top 4 teams on this list. Rooting for them is like rooting for the yankees. It's a no-brainer they're going to be good. http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Some line I read on ESPN: "The Lakers' winning ways came to an end in Miami, when L.A.'s big men disappeared and left a frustrated Kobe Bryant to shoulder the load."

**** that.

Kobe went 8-21 for 24 points with only 2 assists and 3 turnovers. Bynum, on the other hand, had an excellent game, going 4-5 with 13 points and 12 rebounds, while Gasol was solid with 8-16 shooting for 20 points and 5 rebounds. Why does the media never admit it when Kobe kills a game for the Lakers?
That would be Stephen A. Smith. Yeah, I don't know what he was getting at given Kobe was clearly playing one on 5. The only thing he might have a point on is that Gasol once again, failed to assert himself when his team needed him the most. 3 shots in the second half? He was doing so well in the first half, don't know why they went away from him. Kobe has said countless times in interviews that if you want the ball, ask for it. Gasol looked pretty timid.

Kobe is the most overrated, overhyped player in the history of professional sports. If ****ing Russel Westbrook had prime Shaq he'd win more than 3 rings with him. His shot attempts record is miles ahead of his scoring record.

Also, I'm glad miami won. **** the top 4 teams on this list. Rooting for them is like rooting for the yankees. It's a no-brainer they're going to be good. http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm
Uh, you do realize that unlike in baseball...there is a salary cap, meaning the owners are paying way more then what their payroll is listed. These owners are willing to spend and go over the cap to give chances of their team winning. Maybe you should be upset at all those other frugal owners we have (Memphis, Clippers and Minnesota).

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I love march madness. Who doesn't?

Jane, do you do march madness picks?

That would be Stephen A. Smith. Yeah, I don't know what he was getting at given Kobe was clearly playing one on 5. The only thing he might have a point on is that Gasol once again, failed to assert himself when his team needed him the most. 3 shots in the second half? He was doing so well in the first half, don't know why they went away from him. Kobe has said countless times in interviews that if you want the ball, ask for it. Gasol looked pretty timid.
True, Gasol is way too timid. But that's just the way he is; he's never really going to be able to change from that. If you're his teammate, you have to realize that nobody is perfect and this is Gasol's achilles heel. Similarly, Kobe sometimes has problems with trying to take over a game even when he's having an off night. You have to find ways to cope with it.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
It's very true we may like college basketball but we never discuss it. :\

However I do like watching the final 4 of march madness every year. Never been much of a college b ball guy.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Hahahaahah, wishful thinking Jane. Sorry to say man, but Arizona seems to never get that far. But I might have to root for them soon, since there's a small chance I might go to college there.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The Lakers are definitely at their best when Gasol wants to or tries to be assertive. There have been a lot of games I've watched where he's helped or bailed Kobe out. One recent game was last week in Portland, a place where LA struggles terribly. Kobe got them into OT, but Gasol then scored the first 6-8 points, before Kobe finished it off with an open jumper. Game 7 was another great moment where Gasol played great down the stretch alongside Kobe to get them that win.

Either Fisher or Phil needs to tell Kobe that he's gotta stop shooting if things aren't going well. Actually, Fisher did tell him to stop shooting in Game 7. I know Kobe has told Gasol to be aggressive, but at the same time, he's gotta make him be aggressive by force feeding him the ball.

Jane

Smash Hero
Hahahaahah, wishful thinking Jane. Sorry to say man, but Arizona seems to never get that far. But I might have to root for them soon, since there's a small chance I might go to college there.
yeah i know but i gotta believe in my cats ;D. but hey, we're making it to the elite 8! BET!

thats dope tho, if that small chance actually happens then let me know haha, we'll kick it for sure. i'll be transferring to arizona in two semesters hopefully.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
My friend picks A&M to win it every year. XD

And we'd probably talk more about Cahledge ball if it meant something more often. March Madness is definitely worth talking about and watching though. I almost never follow NBA for the next few weeks. lol

I'll ask one last time though, ya'll gonna' do brackets? I'll make a group for us all, but I'd need to know ahead of time.

Spurs are tied with the Kings, this is kinda' bad. lol

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I'll ask one last time though, ya'll gonna' do brackets? I'll make a group for us all, but I'd need to know ahead of time.
I always do brackets. I usually do 5 on ESPN but I can just submit my main one to this group.

Spurs are tied with the Kings, this is kinda' bad. lol
For some reason the Kings tend to do well against some of the league's best teams.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I was gonna' make an ESPN group anyways. lol

And yeah, the Kings are a strange team. It's mostly because they've got no unity. And Cousins is overrated as ****.

Smash Master
Uh, you do realize that unlike in baseball...there is a salary cap, meaning the owners are paying way more then what their payroll is listed. These owners are willing to spend and go over the cap to give chances of their team winning. Maybe you should be upset at all those other frugal owners we have (Memphis, Clippers and Minnesota).
The cap needs to be an actual cap, not this soft tax full of exceptions. Right now it may as well be baseball.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Any team can have a good roster if the owner is willing to shell out the money. I'm not saying that should be the case. Otherwise, salaries would continue to grow. I do think it's ridiculous how Kobe is going to have a salary of 30 million when the CAP is 58 by itself. Add Gasol's 17 million, and that means you only have 11 million left to spend on other players. There should most certainly be a limit, but at the same time, it's these owners that give the players this money.

Which brings my primary concern for the Lakers' future. Gasol and Kobe are single handedly going to own the Lakers payroll. Unless the new CBA says otherwise or if Kobe takes a paycut. 30 million for a 34 or 35 year old is way too much.

Boston loses again, LA still has that bit of chance to catch up. Chicago might end up with the first seed o_O.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I say Chicago will win the first seed if they keep up their current play.

And Digitman: Basketball and Football have extremely strict salary caps. The reason a cap exists is to have everyone play in a fair environment, which happens. Teams aren't built around money in the NBA, the last time it happened Isiah Thomas lost his job and the Knicks became a laughing stock.

Miami is floundering under their cap space in a way, same as the Lakers. The difference is coaching and the players involved, not the roster value. :\

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
i've never seen this thread before, and it looks like it's mostly pro-ball but it IS march so i'll go ahead and mention college ball. I'll be watching the semi-finals of the ACC tournament today, (unc v. clemson, duke v. va tech). The quarter finals that were on yesterday, and unc(my team) just baaaaaaaarely squeaked by. Idk if I've recalled thit happening.. but we actually won the game without EVER taking a lead the entire game, all 40 minutes. It was tied with a few secs left and we didn't actually lead until after the buzzer went off. Refs had to look at the replay, didn't leave his hands until .1

va tech v. fla state was really close as well in the quarter finals, they had a buzzer beater and begun to celebrate but it turns out they were <.1 seconds too late, so va tech squeaked by with the "upset".

anyone else watching the acc tourney?

Jane

Smash Hero
i wont be watching unfortunately cuz im going to a tourney. but i'm a tar heels fan, i was very happy when they beat duke haha.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I honestly don't know what to expect from Texas. Started the season off so well, but have faltered late...they've become the Miami Heat by giving up leads in the second half. Only person who's been consistent is Triston Thompson. Guard play has been so bad.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Chicago could easily get the 1 seed. Boston doesn't really care about seedings. We're missing Shaq, Glen Davis, Delonte West, Jermaine Oneal, and Von Wafer (a third of our lineup and most of our good bench players) so we're going to be cautious and make sure our players are ready to go in the playoffs. The Celtics will be very hard to stop if they can get the whole team healthy. Ever since we've acquired the big 3, we've never lost a playoff series when our entire starting lineup was healthy the whole series. Of course, our starting lineup is different now with the addition of Krstic, but I still think the Celtics are going to be extremely tough if we get our bench back.

Top Bottom