• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Yeah, that's understandable. I get more worked up about losses than wins too. I've learned to be mellow about Celtics regular season losses though; I really only care about the post-season. But still, seeding could be more important this year than it has been the last few years, so I'm a bit concerned.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Seeding is huge for the Heat if they somehow manage to climb back to #1 that means Boston and Chicago will most likely end up duking it out in the second round as opposed to the Heat having to face both the Bulls AND the Celtics if they wanna make it out of the ECF.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Heat do have a chance given Boston and Chicago's injuries. Then again, I see this as a grand scheme for Rose to get MVP with his two big men out again lol.

Whaaaat dude what LeBron said was legit this team has been all over the place in terms of in-game chemistry (especially when it comes to closing out games). Everyone except for Wade and LBJ are just now starting to find their true identities on this team, and that even includes Bosh.

There's a reason the Heat are one of the worst teams in close games.

Oh c'mon. You have so many veterans on this team, and three all-stars. These guys have pretty much a full season under their belt and they still can't figure it out? LeBron seemed to fit better when he was playing with his "scrubby" teammates back in Cleveland. Now he seems to be having a hard time playing with this talent around him? Overall, I blame both coach and players. Players need to communicate in game, and it seems like they are just figuring that out. Or at least, they are trying to? I find it funny how you don't hear Melo and Amare saying those same words, or Doc Rivers saying those words. I mean look at the roster reshape Boston has had over last year and now...

2010: Pierce, Ray, KG, Rondo, Big Baby, Nate, Perkins, Daniels, Tony Allen, and Sheed were your main players.

2011: Pierce, Ray, KG, Rondo, Big Baby, Delonte (who hasn't even really played yet), Von Wafer, Kristic, Shaq, Jermaine, Green. Two of those guys who just came over.

And I said earlier, Orlando gave up two of their STARTERS, Pietrus, and Gortat 20-30 games into the season. Really, the only thing you hear SVG say is improving their defense as a team. Nothing about "knowing your roles".

LeBron and Wade have been mouthing this since day 1. And I can understand that. But if you still don't have it figured out by the end of the season, then something is wrong with you as players and the coach.

And didn't the 2008 Celtics win it all under their first year together? I swear, if the Heat lose in the playoffs, and I don't care when...I really don't want to hear that "We still are getting used to each other" excuse. They are going to get ripped so badly for it by the media.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I doubt the Heat will be able to do it. They're just not good enough against good teams, despite their recent wins against the Lakers and Spurs, the latter of whom also isn't really trying as hard anymore.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I've been watching that gif for 10 minutes and can't stop laughing. What the hell is he doing?! XD

Nike.

Smash Hero
Bibby never likes when ppl touch him, like an OCD or something. Other players would always pick on him and finds ways to poke him or whatever to piss him off x)

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I was trying to figure out how you'd know that, but I remembered Bibby went to Arizona, right? XD

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I'm with Bibby on that one; that was a bit too touchy on Smith's part. And I don't know about Bibby's OCD or whatever, but if I were put in that situation I would get him off me too. I don't want some sweaty guy rubbing my head and shoulders.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Heat do have a chance given Boston and Chicago's injuries. Then again, I see this as a grand scheme for Rose to get MVP with his two big men out again lol.

Oh c'mon. You have so many veterans on this team, and three all-stars. These guys have pretty much a full season under their belt and they still can't figure it out? LeBron seemed to fit better when he was playing with his "scrubby" teammates back in Cleveland. Now he seems to be having a hard time playing with this talent around him? Overall, I blame both coach and players. Players need to communicate in game, and it seems like they are just figuring that out. Or at least, they are trying to? I find it funny how you don't hear Melo and Amare saying those same words, or Doc Rivers saying those words. I mean look at the roster reshape Boston has had over last year and now...

2010: Pierce, Ray, KG, Rondo, Big Baby, Nate, Perkins, Daniels, Tony Allen, and Sheed were your main players.

2011: Pierce, Ray, KG, Rondo, Big Baby, Delonte (who hasn't even really played yet), Von Wafer, Kristic, Shaq, Jermaine, Green. Two of those guys who just came over.

And I said earlier, Orlando gave up two of their STARTERS, Pietrus, and Gortat 20-30 games into the season. Really, the only thing you hear SVG say is improving their defense as a team. Nothing about "knowing your roles".

LeBron and Wade have been mouthing this since day 1. And I can understand that. But if you still don't have it figured out by the end of the season, then something is wrong with you as players and the coach.

And didn't the 2008 Celtics win it all under their first year together? I swear, if the Heat lose in the playoffs, and I don't care when...I really don't want to hear that "We still are getting used to each other" excuse. They are going to get ripped so badly for it by the media.
IDK who's fault it is but the Heat's offensive system (for the most part) has been quite flawed. I'd personally say the coaching staff. Just look at how Arroyo is actually playing good basketball in a matter of days on the Celitcs. When he was on the Heat, he was barely doing anything other than shooting occasional shots and having a good FG%.

And most above average players seem to really suck on the Heat for whatever reason (Bosh at times, Mike Miller, Beasly). MAYBE because Dwayne Wade and LeBron being on the same team causes some sort of polarization effect? Who knows

I don't know who to point fingers at, but chemistry and consistency are not the Heat's strong points and LeBron was right in saying that they need to improve in that category.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
DOUBLE POST

The bipolar Heat doin their thaaaaang. I understand this team now. When I think they're gonna lose, they kill guys, but when I think they're gonna win, they lose. Tonight was just TERRIBLE offense combined with bad rebounding.

And my goodness Kevin Durant is the scariest player to watch when he starts getting hot. Every ball that leaves his hand makes me hold my breath.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Durant was hot, but this game showed that Durant can't exactly beat players one on one. His D vs LBJ was good for the most part, but if you looked at his shots, a lot of them came off of screens, Ray Allen style. I can't call that kind of player MVP no matter how smooth his stroke is. He's not a good playmaker for others yet, and against good defenders, that's his only way to get open.

D-Rose is gonna win MVP, but you can make cases for Howard and Dirk.

Wade's dunk was indeed sick/ridiculous. He had a lot of swagger with him today.

Funny thing is, Heat are at their best when Bosh and Wade playing well. They just need LBJ to do the other stuff and be their Magic Johnson.

Also, Bosh looked like he's reverted back to his jump shooting form.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Fuhhhhhhh Morehead St just ****ed everyone's brackets

It's okay though because now KU has a favorable path to the Final Four! Yesssss

Jane

Smash Hero
the morehead state upset i can live with... i had faith in louisville but whatever...

what REALLY pissed me off is that i had butler beating old dominion but i changed it last minute >:O now i'm dead last xD

theeboredone

Smash Legend
And I've said it once, and I'll say again...I really don't pay attention to NCAA basketball. All I remember from last year is that Duke won.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Maaaan I knew I should've picked Richmond, the SEC totally sucks this year, just look at UK

And Penn St should've beaten Temple, come on now...

Smash Master
I say Chicago will win the first seed if they keep up their current play.

And Digitman: Basketball and Football have extremely strict salary caps. The reason a cap exists is to have everyone play in a fair environment, which happens. Teams aren't built around money in the NBA, the last time it happened Isiah Thomas lost his job and the Knicks became a laughing stock.

Miami is floundering under their cap space in a way, same as the Lakers. The difference is coaching and the players involved, not the roster value. :\
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

Just read the first few since it's kinda long.
Also in case you missed it: http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm
Note the huge discrepancy between the top 4 and everyone else.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
lmao, my bracket looks kinda' wobbly for now, since I had Utah St and Mizzou in the Sweet 16. Louisville too, but everyone had that. XD

I'm super-upset I chose ODU over Butler though. I had picked Butler in my head, and clicked ODU without noticing it. :(

Oh, and I'm surprised Gonzaga beat St. John's. I guess they really can't play well outside of the Garden.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
My bracket is officially dead for now. I went 1-4 last night with Mizzou sucking (I hate them even more now), St. John's choking (most schizophrenic team ever), and Mich St. baaarely losing to UCLA (stupid MSU).

I should've just chosen my teams based on which I like personally, in which case I would be 100%
right now (except for UK winning) haha

theeboredone

Smash Legend
lmao, my bracket looks kinda' wobbly for now, since I had Utah St and Mizzou in the Sweet 16. Louisville too, but everyone had that. XD

I'm super-upset I chose ODU over Butler though. I had picked Butler in my head, and clicked ODU without noticing it. :(

Oh, and I'm surprised Gonzaga beat St. John's. I guess they really can't play well outside of the Garden.
Ron Artest claims St. John got robbed by the refs lol.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
WTF?!?!?!?

My bracket says I picked Tennessee? I never recall even thinking for a second that Tennessee would win. Why and when the **** did I change that pick? I can't remember it at all. **** **** **** **** ****, that's REALLY annoying.

EDIT: Phew, Arizona over Memphis in a scary one, 77-75.

EDIT2: Btw, my entry is --Nate-- 1. I know which ones are HondaFoo and Jane, but who else is in there?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So some NBA news...Mavs vs Spurs showdown. Gonna be rooting for the Spurs for obvious reasons while Lakers take on the Wolves.

Anyone read that article on the coaching situations following this season? Doc Rivers will be gone. Phil Jackson will be gone. Apparently, Rick Adelman won't be coaching the Rockets anymore, so he might be the hot coach to pick up. Rumors of JVG coming to LA if Shaw doesn't become the successor.

Personally, I think it'd be cool to see Adelman in LA, but that would probably mean abandoning the triangle.

Oh and I think Jerry Sloan still wants to coach?

Jane

Smash Hero
let me just breathe a big sigh a relief right quick...

PHEEEWWWWWW...!!

goddamn i was scared. cats really need to stop playing so sloppy or we wont even see duke. derrick williams pulled through though, like usual. but man, so many of our players were nonexistant that whole game.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I have the Wildcats taking down Texas and then losing to Duke.

Also, on my viewing of the games at the Verizon Center: the seats were a LOT better then I thought; they were 2nd row from the court. I'll post some pictures I took at the game soon. The games I saw were Mizzou-Cincy and UConn-Bucknell.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
yo Boston U is keeping up with kansas, and they in the second half.

man, if they won... lol.

I admit I was a little worried there for a while. To be the first #1 seed to lose in the first round...I think I would seriously drop out of school haha

I also have UofA beating Texas, and I can see it at this point...Williams is such a stud

Top Bottom