• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Damn, Texas/Oakland was a fun game to watch. I'm sad they didn't pull it off though. My bracket is imploding left and right. XD

I was really counting on Oakland to win, that'll hurt me a bit from here on out. Still, if Arizona wins, I'm back on track there. Everyone's Elite 8 is still intact though. :D

As for the Spurs game, it's a good one, but these last 30 seconds have had some bull**** calls on reach-ins. Put them in the penalty with 6 minutes left.

At any rate, this game proves why Dirk and Manu are involved in MVP talks every now and then. They take over games.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Wooow BOTH Chicago AND Boston lost tonight while the Heat pick up the W.

The Heat just got a small chance of competing for that #1 seed again. Their schedule is fairly easy after the Nuggets and that gives them a good opportunity for a big W streak... But anything can happen.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
What a frustrating game to watch. Lakers in a total grind out with the Wolves, Bynum gets ejected for a flagrant 2, and Kobe still insists on jacking up shots when he isn't right.

Maaaaan, you know this gets you pumped up for what will soon be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqyL2zDl_B8

Shame the WCF will not be on TNT. They hype it up so much.

Jane

Smash Hero
this UCLA florida game is close as ****! i really hope ucla wins because im the ONLY ONE in the group that has them winning this game! haha

edit- this is seriously the most entertaining game ive seen this whole tourney. hardly any turnovers, just hard hitting offense. great game, and still 11 minutes left.

edit - :(

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Butler and Pitt ending wooooooow...I wanted Butler to win so bad but it looked like Pitt had it with the free throws, but then miracles happened and my wish was granted

My bracket is dead but I don't care anymore, too many good games

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
What a frustrating game to watch. Lakers in a total grind out with the Wolves, Bynum gets ejected for a flagrant 2, and Kobe still insists on jacking up shots when he isn't right.

Maaaaan, you know this gets you pumped up for what will soon be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqyL2zDl_B8

Shame the WCF will not be on TNT. They hype it up so much.
I don't have TNT or ESPN... I don't even have cable :(

I'm really not sure what's going to happen to the Lakers. They've had their moments somewhat recently (that stretch for a while after the All-Star Game), but have been so mired in inconsistency/poor performances from key starters/general failures against elite teams that it really doesn't look good. I'm calling second round elimination against Dallas.

Although, it is the Lakers. Underestimate them at your expense, I guess.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
They played horrible against the Wolves, but the Mavs are playing worse. On top of that, Marion didn't return from a undisclosed wrist injury in the second half vs the Spurs, so if he's out for a while...well...ouch. On top of that, Chandler hasn't been right since he came back from his ankle injury. Not playing with that energy I'm used to seeing him play with.

Lakers have only lost one game since the break, and they have beaten plenty of .500+ teams. This includes Portland, Dallas, Spurs, Orlando, and ATL. Plus, Kobe is hurting bad right now, and I want him to sit, but I still feel they need the second seed. It's a tough spot, but I think Kobe needs to play more facilitator than scorer. LA will be in the WCF for sure.

With all that being said...last year's Laker's team finished a pathetic 13-7, and still won the title. Boston played .500 ball I believe and made it to the Finals. I mean, it's just a good sign more than anything else, especially since it's coming from the champions.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Butler beating Pitt makes me so happy because it give my pick of BYU in the Championship game all the more possible. XD

My bracket has been demolished early on though, I gotta' hope my Final Four remains intact if I'm gonna' catch up ground.

This tourney has been great so far though. :D

Suspect

Smash Hero
NOT TRUE WE ARE GETTING CLOSER TO A PLAYOFF SPOT

lol

If we beat Utah today that will put us(them) at 9th seed, 1 and a half games behind memphis

I believe in my rockets :)

rockets like never beat Utah tho >_>

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Utah's playing like garbage lately, I'd choose the Rockets in this game.

It was hilarious to see they swept the season series against Boston though. lol

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Spurs vs Rockets first round...that would be interesting. Four SW division teams in the playoffs. Toughest division in the NBA?

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
Spurs vs Rockets first round...that would be interesting. Four SW division teams in the playoffs. Toughest division in the NBA?
Spurs, Mavs, Hornets, Grizzlies? That is pretty frightening. Assuming the Mavs (you were right) and Hornets get their acts together first.

I'm also rooting for the Rockets to make it to the Playoffs. Rockets, Grizzles, and Blazers are all young-ish teams nobody wants to face in the first round. (I'd consider the Thunder a step above that at this point with Perkins.)

Suspect

Smash Hero
Spurs vs Rockets may be interesting but I swear its like a curse or something, the rockets are like 5-100 against them.

And they dont have tmac to score 13 in 35 seconds again haha

theeboredone

Smash Legend
UNC pulled it out. Yay bracket.

Bynum suspended 2 games. Should have been one game, and it just shows a more crooked side of the NBA. Love how KG can get away with ball smacking Channing Frye, but doesn't get fined or suspended, because the next game is vs the Lakers. Stern needs them TV ratings and money.

Edit: This is what any halftime speech should be if your team is down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qTLp2EwAOQ

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Damn, epic game with TX and Arizona...though the refs were awful in the last 5 minutes. A lot of calls that went TX way, but in the end, they also got robbed by the refs when Corbin got mauled on the initial drive.

Jane

Smash Hero
psssshhhhhhhhh. there was like no time left before he even BEGAN to lift his hands.

that game was ******** epic. wowwww.

CATPACK!!!!!!!!!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
psssshhhhhhhhh. there was like no time left before he even BEGAN to lift his hands.

that game was ******** epic. wowwww.

CATPACK!!!!!!!!!
I'm talking about the Point Guard, Jacovin Brown. He got double forearmed by the guy who was guarding him, and sandwiched by another man. I know the time ran out for the offensive rebounder.

Honestly though, I do think the refs ruined it. Brown should not have been at the FT line a few times. Two examples being when he lunged himself on a drive when the big was going straight up, and the other where the center hedged out, and Brown flopped.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Bynum suspended 2 games. Should have been one game, and it just shows a more crooked side of the NBA. Love how KG can get away with ball smacking Channing Frye, but doesn't get fined or suspended, because the next game is vs the Lakers. Stern needs them TV ratings and money.
What KG did was nothing compared to what was basically a vicious body slam by Bynum. Beasley was lucky he didn't break his arm and end his season right there.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
What KG did was nothing compared to what was basically a vicious body slam by Bynum. Beasley was lucky he didn't break his arm and end his season right there.
Players take falls like that all the time. And hitting someone in the groin is no light matter. It's a matter of whether there was malicious intent. I'm sure you should realize that it hurts a lot to be hit in the groin. I do agree Bynum deserves to be suspended, but I don't agree it should have been 2 games. I'm just annoyed at the refs inconsistencies. Wasn't it earlier this season when Dampier pushed Parker in mid air, sending him flying into the cameras? He got no fine from that. Garnett didn't even get a fine either. What about when Andre Miller literally ran from one side of the court to the other and took down Griffin? How does that warrant only one game, when you knew FOR SURE that it was malicious intent?

Centers are in a sensitive position, because they are hacked away at constantly, but when they give a hard foul, it can be warranted as flagrant. What's the difference between a big going up, hip checking a person in mid air, compared to when a guard or forward crashing into a big from behind just to ensure he doesn't dunk it? What about simply slapping at his arms and shoulders without even concerning yourself about stopping the ball? Bigs take a lot of punishment, and it's stupid how smaller players can get away from it.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Took me a few hours to cool off from the AZ vs TX game. Refs were being retarted. Williams let them back in the game by missing 7489075890345 free throws. Made it up at the end. Idk how the hell we won that. Guy just had to pass it in and it's a free throw contest x)

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Man KU has like, the most ridiculous side of the bracket ever. If we beat 12 Richmond then we play...either 10 Florida St or 11 VCU???? Then if we beat them we get to play most likely Butler or BYU in the Final Four...wtf lol. Not that these are easy teams but...what the hell happened to the higher seeds haha

btw Duke and UNC should be gone...they're so lucky to still be playing right now. And of course AZ is beast, I really hope they make the Final Four

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, I've made my posts here before saying the NBA definitely has a crooked side, and I cited the Lakers Kings game as one of the examples along with the 2006 Finals. 2008 Finals when Leon Powe magically outshot the entire Laker Squad in free throws comes to mind as well. I remember Pistons players saying that they could not even touch LeBron when he had that game where he scored 30 straight points or whatever. I just wish the Feds would send an undercover agent, wiretap Stern's room, and just get the damn evidence out.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Then again the NBA is a business so why do I not find that surprising? **** Stern and those refs... I never followed basketball back then and I'm just now really feeling bad for Webber, Divac, and Bibby.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Lakers escaped vs the Blazers without Bynum tonight. I honestly don't know how we won given Gasol played poorly, team got out rebounded, and bench was okay at best.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
btw as bad as my bracket has looked at times, I'm the only one in the group whose Final Four is still completely intact :p sooooo called Florida st. over Notre Dame

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Players take falls like that all the time. And hitting someone in the groin is no light matter. It's a matter of whether there was malicious intent. I'm sure you should realize that it hurts a lot to be hit in the groin. I do agree Bynum deserves to be suspended, but I don't agree it should have been 2 games. I'm just annoyed at the refs inconsistencies. Wasn't it earlier this season when Dampier pushed Parker in mid air, sending him flying into the cameras? He got no fine from that. Garnett didn't even get a fine either. What about when Andre Miller literally ran from one side of the court to the other and took down Griffin? How does that warrant only one game, when you knew FOR SURE that it was malicious intent?

Centers are in a sensitive position, because they are hacked away at constantly, but when they give a hard foul, it can be warranted as flagrant. What's the difference between a big going up, hip checking a person in mid air, compared to when a guard or forward crashing into a big from behind just to ensure he doesn't dunk it? What about simply slapping at his arms and shoulders without even concerning yourself about stopping the ball? Bigs take a lot of punishment, and it's stupid how smaller players can get away from it.
I'm not arguing that the NBA isn't crooked, but a ball slap, which does hurt (for a few minutes), is not nearly as bad as launching yourself as a projectile and crushing your shoulder into someone's chest. If you look at the way Beasley landed on his arm, it could have been broken or at least hurt badly, but luckily it didn't happen to land that way. You also have to factor in how dangerous the move is. A ball slap won't do any lasting damage (unless it's a REALLY strong hit, which it wasn't) but that launch could have either hit Beasley in the head an concussed him or hit him to the floor in a way that causes him to injure his arm or back. Even from a pure pain standpoint, I think the chest hit would hurt more. As a former soccer player, I've had the ball kicked pretty hard into all parts of me, including my groin, head, and chest. But of all of those, the chest hit hurt the most, and caused much more lasting pain. The head and groin injuries were things I got over in about 5 minutes, but when I had the ball kicked into my chest in the beginning of the game, I had this really annoying sore there the whole time. Groin hits are over-dramatized; they don't hurt for as long and aren't as dangerous overall, as unpleasant as they are.

Lakers escaped vs the Blazers without Bynum tonight. I honestly don't know how we won given Gasol played poorly, team got out rebounded, and bench was okay at best.
Kobe + Odom + Defense

theeboredone

Smash Legend
NBA rules define a flagrant 2 as unnecessary and excessive contact. While there is a definition on what hits are more dangerous and what not, you also have to look at the intent. Like I said, Dampier should have been suspended, and KG would have been too if it wasn't for the fact the next game was against the Lakers.

And please, an NBA player around the league will take a fall like that once per night. I've taken falls like that, and come out with a hip and *** so bruised, I couldn't even take a dump. **** sucks, but it has never warranted a severe injury. More often then not, it's a bad foul. You can't control a big guy meeting a smaller guy in mid air, it happens.

Like I said, I think Bynum should have only been suspended one game, and I am clearly annoyed by how the NBA rigs these suspensions depending on TV ratings, and how big men constantly get demolished by the little guys without warranting fines or suspensions. Dwight Howard tried to talk about it, but Stern made sure his mouth stayed shut by administering a T anytime he opened his mouth.

Btw, love when Kobe gets mad like this. See end of video. You rarely see that from other players.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6242232

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah I saw that, thought it was stupid Blake got a T for that as well.

Edit: Chalmers out 2 weeks with a sprained knee.

2nd Edit: Rumors already circulating that due to Dwight's reluctance to sign, Chicago might trade Noah + other stuff down the road for him. Dwight + Rose + Boozer? GG.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
NBA rules define a flagrant 2 as unnecessary and excessive contact. While there is a definition on what hits are more dangerous and what not, you also have to look at the intent. Like I said, Dampier should have been suspended, and KG would have been too if it wasn't for the fact the next game was against the Lakers.
Don't know which Dampier hit you're talking about so I can't comment on that one. And I also think intent was more of an issue in Bynum's foul. KG's was weird, he started to try to contest and then just kind of raised his hand into Frye. It didn't really look premeditated, like he had a plan to do something like that. Bynum on the other hand clearly ran several feet towards Beasley and launched himself, and it seemed planned the whole way. KG should not have been suspended. Sure, give him a flagrant 1, but no suspension necessary. I don't care whether Bynum should have been suspended one or two games, bu the point is he should have been suspended and KG shouldn't have.

And please, an NBA player around the league will take a fall like that once per night. I've taken falls like that, and come out with a hip and *** so bruised, I couldn't even take a dump. **** sucks, but it has never warranted a severe injury. More often then not, it's a bad foul. You can't control a big guy meeting a smaller guy in mid air, it happens.
People do NOT take falls like that every night. That was not the same as, say, a Wade play where he gets hit and knocked on his side to the ground and slides into the camera-men. Beasley got knocked horizontally and fell straight down like a dead weight. I've seen Garnett get injured pretty badly on a couple of falls like that. Plus his arm landed kinda weirdly, though I think that was more by chance than anything else. Usually when a bigger guy meets a smaller guy in the air, it's not an aimed ram into the smaller guy's chest like that.

Like I said, I think Bynum should have only been suspended one game, and I am clearly annoyed by how the NBA rigs these suspensions depending on TV ratings, and how big men constantly get demolished by the little guys without warranting fines or suspensions. Dwight Howard tried to talk about it, but Stern made sure his mouth stayed shut by administering a T anytime he opened his mouth.
I agree that big guys get picked on, but it's strange that in one breath you claim KG and Dampier are getting favorable calls and in the next breath you claim "big men" don't get calls.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
People do NOT take falls like that every night.

I agree that big guys get picked on, but it's strange that in one breath you claim KG and Dampier are getting favorable calls and in the next breath you claim "big men" don't get calls.
I guarantee you once a week, there's a player who takes a really ugly or bad fall, but they are not fined or even suspended. It's even worse when a smaller guy does it to a bigger player.

And your statement doesn't make sense. I've been saying KG and Dampier got favorable calls due to TV Ratings and what Stern wants. KG had to play the Lakers next game, so having him out of the lineup would be terrible from a ratings perspective. The Heat had the Bulls the next game so having Dampier, while not a big part of the team, would be a guy they need considering the Chicago Bigs are no slouches either. Both games were nationally televised with the Bulls and Heat one being on a major network. Can you honestly tell me Bynum would be suspended if this were a playoff game, let alone a regular season game where their next opponent happened to be Boston or Miami?

And you do know KG has ball tapped someone before right? Francisco Elson when he was a rookie with the Nuggets. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. If you look at the one against Frye, looking at one of the angles, KG has a very awkward motion where it looks like his arm is about to go up and contest, and suddenly he decides to flick at Frye's groin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_D-JYFPAZM#t=18s

I like the NBA. Basketball is my favorite sport, but Stern and his minions are so crooked it's just mind boggling how nothing has been done to set this right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tElntc2VBL4

This one bothered me a bit too. I love Howard, and I think he's a good dude, but that's not how you set a screen. Howard pretty much lunged his upper body and forearm into KD. Legal in the old days, but given how soft the NBA is today, why did this not warrant any kind of fine or punishment?

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I guarantee you once a week, there's a player who takes a really ugly or bad fall, but they are not fined or even suspended. It's even worse when a smaller guy does it to a bigger player.
They might take a bad or ugly fall, but it's not due to a malicious attack like it was in this case. That's the difference.

And your statement doesn't make sense. I've been saying KG and Dampier got favorable calls due to TV Ratings and what Stern wants. KG had to play the Lakers next game, so having him out of the lineup would be terrible from a ratings perspective. The Heat had the Bulls the next game so having Dampier, while not a big part of the team, would be a guy they need considering the Chicago Bigs are no slouches either. Both games were nationally televised with the Bulls and Heat one being on a major network. Can you honestly tell me Bynum would be suspended if this were a playoff game, let alone a regular season game where their next opponent happened to be Boston or Miami?

And you do know KG has ball tapped someone before right? Francisco Elson when he was a rookie with the Nuggets. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. If you look at the one against Frye, looking at one of the angles, KG has a very awkward motion where it looks like his arm is about to go up and contest, and suddenly he decides to flick at Frye's groin.
Well I certainly think that the ratings factor into it but I don't think KG's foul merited a suspension regardless of who the next opponent was. Like you said, he had done it once before; did he get suspended then? Also don't try to make it sound like he does it all the time; 2 incidents in a 15 year career isn't exactly a trend.

Now watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUmWoI1UDIA

Honestly, after watching those two videos, can you really say with a straight face that KG's foul was as bad as Bynum's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tElntc2VBL4

This one bothered me a bit too. I love Howard, and I think he's a good dude, but that's not how you set a screen. Howard pretty much lunged his upper body and forearm into KD. Legal in the old days, but given how soft the NBA is today, why did this not warrant any kind of fine or punishment?
That was pretty nasty. Not as dangerous nor as malicious as Bynum's foul, but Howard should have probably gotten a flagrant foul for that.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
They might take a bad or ugly fall, but it's not due to a malicious attack like it was in this case. That's the difference.

Now watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUmWoI1UDIA

Honestly, after watching those two videos, can you really say with a straight face that KG's foul was as bad as Bynum's?
No, there is always a bad fall due to a bad foul being done. It's not some blue moon occurrence.

Like I said, a Flagrant 2 is defined by unnecessary and excessive contact. Bynum's suspension was warranted, but once again, it's stupid how KG doesn't even get a fine for half the stuff he does. It's not even just the ball tapping, but he has a history of being a dirty player, and don't even try to defend that. Players get reputations from repeated offenses. Some players are more protected than others. Kobe gets suspended for waving his arms around after a shot is blocked, but LBJ and Gasol don't? I mean, even Bruce Bowen got away with always sticking his foot under a player (Steve Francis got hurt really badly, because of it). The only time Bowen has ever gotten suspended was when he kicked CP3 when both fell to the ground. I mean, how the hell does he not get suspended, and only fined 7500 for bruce lee kicking Wally Zcerbiak?

Top Bottom