• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Actually, before merger: Wilt the Stilt had a streak of like 150 double-doubles. He's the GOAT in that category. Kevin Love's streak is amazing when you look at consistency, but it's slightly tarnished by the woeful T-Wolves. Still, him on a good team? Championship presence.
IMO Wilt is the GOAT overall. It's not his fault the Celtics were just an overall a better team. Wilt just has absurd stats. I mean, who the **** averages 50 points for a season? Who the **** gets 20 in three different stats? Statistically, nobody is even remotely near Wilt.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm not going to argue anything about "If Wilt played in this era" or something else altogether. The only knock I have on him is that he could not be the lead guy and bring his team a title. His playoff record is horrible, and only when his numbers dipped, and he played more of a team ball, did he ever win anything.

Still though, as amazing as Wilt was in his era, I can't envision him being as good in today's league vs guys like Dwight, Bynum, Perkins, or other bigs. Sports technology has come too far. Guys are stronger, faster, and overall more athletic. There are definitely a large variety of moves compared to back then. It's kind of funny to watch clips of Larry Bird and Magic sometimes. It almost seems like they are just flippin up shots, and they just go in. A very unorthodox style of play if you ask me.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
True, it's unorthodox at times. But old school ball was dominated by people who just knew how to make plays. If the modern game is rough and powerful, the way old players glide is ethereal in a way.

Wilt though, statistically, was the GOAT.

Bill Russell, another candidate for GOAT, just always seemed to beat him. XD

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Lol, it does seem like when I watch some old people play ball, and how they throw up shots...makes me think of the old NBA.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
The ONLY aspect about that Heat that I'm still really happy about is the fact that Wade and LeBron are still playing at a high level and the two still have great chemistry off the court. Only things holding those 2 back are the rest of the players and the coaching staff.

Easier said than done of course.

EDIT: Oh yeah theeboredone I just read an interview and it looks like Wade and LeBron really wanna use the Lakers game as a rebounding point so don't be surprised if they go off that night. Can't say the same for the rest of the Heat though.

Here's my prediction:
Heat-75
Lakers-90

LBJ and Wade combine for 70 points while Bosh gets 4 and Chalmers makes a free throw. :laugh:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I nearly fell out of my seat at Shaq's free throw at 1:40... God I miss watching that guy.

Did he even get net???

EDIT: But yeah I saw his interview. I doubt he'll do anything about it he's been playing way too soft all season to become this low post threat out of nowhere. If he's serious about it he'll gain about 20 pounds of muscle and stop settling (and bricking) for jump shots.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Wilt though, statistically, was the GOAT.

Bill Russell, another candidate for GOAT, just always seemed to beat him. XD
Again, the Celtics simply just had better teams. Bill Russell did a great job on Wilt, but Wilt's supporting cast just wasn't up to par with Russell's. What amazes me most about Russell is his championships as a player-coach. You gotta have a lot of respect from your team to be able to do that.

Smash Master
Lol Miami. Go Timerwolves. Kevin Love is a stud. Guy averages like 1000 rebounds a game.

I went up for a rebound last week, landed on someone's foot, and sprained my ankle. It's the first time that's happened to me. Feels good, like a rite of passage. I can finally call myself a basketball player or something, lol.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
There's a good chance they might just trade Bosh during the off-season for some pieces. Miami just needs a hard working PF who also has a somewhat midrange game. At the same time, they can also get a valuable PG. Aaron Brooks is right now stuck on the Phoenix bench, but not sure if Suns plan to bring him up as Nash's successor.

Now that I think about it...

Chris Bosh for Warrick and Brooks would be pretty good. Brooks is on his last year, so a sign and trade would have to be done. Warrick can be a hard worker PF down low. Salaries should balance out. Phoenix gets a shooting PF to play with Nash, and all is well for both sides.

Though I think the ideal PF for Miami would be Brandon Bass. Midrange game, and tough down low. A bit undersized though. Though I'm sure Orlando has no business doing any deals with Miami LOL.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Did sound like he assumed they were playing today.

That would be scary as ****. Almost as scary as imagining the Lakers with Dwight Howard. Ugh.
By the time they get Dwight in 2012, Kobe will be 34, Pau 32, LO 33...Artest will probably be gone. Overall, just a very old team in general.

Now that I think about it, I do hope LA has a plan to inject the team with some youth going forward. Love Brown, but he's not exactly all-star caliber player.

Also, old, but awesome commercial. Makes me wanna do a photoshopped version of myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw1pmjQtut0

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
A decade later, stronger than ever. Excellent catchphrase.

Spurs clinched a playoff spot tonight. I miss when the Spurs/Pistons games meant something.

Lakers win tomorrow, the Heat continue downward spiral.
Heat win tomorrow, Lakers show another chink in playoff armor.

Much bigger game for the Heat, but I enjoy both outcomes.

I say Lakers win by 8.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I saw a Mac background and closed it.
:troll:

Srsly: lmaoooo

Houston/Memphis/Philly with a 1% or greater chance of a title. Good **** to them. XD

Projected stats are always fun though.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Honestly, my previous laptop was a PC that lasted me a good 5 years. I just went to Mac cause Vista was super fail, and it was hard to find a good laptop running XP.

I also enjoy not having to worry about viruses and spyware. Plus, I have yet to experience any kind of random bugs or slow downs.

Our family PC desktop is probably defective. We've sent it in three times, and it keeps blue screening us.
----
Phili is playing good ball right now. AI is playing like a sub-par LBJ.

Meanwhile in the West, I'm hoping LA matches up with the Hornets. I don't want to see Memphis or Portland. Kthxbai.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Did sound like he assumed they were playing today.
Yep, got mixed up.

My prediction for tonight's game: Lakers 95, Heat 90

There.

By the time they get Dwight in 2012, Kobe will be 34, Pau 32, LO 33...Artest will probably be gone. Overall, just a very old team in general.
No guarantees they'll get him yet. But honestly I can't see Kobe or Gasol being much worse than they are today in 2 years. I think they each have around 3-4 years as elite players. I don't know with Odom. Fisher will be gone but he's replaceable. I think they would have 2 years where they are REALLY good and then Kobe and/or Gasol could start declining.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
LBJ and Wade doin what they always do, Chalmers being VERY productive on both ends (and hitting shots!), Bosh being more aggressive, Mike Miller getting confidence back...

DEFINITELY like what I'm seeing... But then again I don't have enough fingers on my hands to count how many times this team has had good 1st quarters and proceeded to lose the game.

Lets see if this can carry into the 2nd.

EDIT: Sigh... Mike Miller shows up and now Dwayne Wade is sucking. Give me a break. T.T

EDIT 2: Wow Bosh wasn't lying when he said he wants to get in the paint more! Best I've seen him (offensively) in a long while! He still gotta work harder on D though.

EDIT 3: Leading scorers @halftime:
Bosh- 16
Miller- 11
Chalmers- 9

Holy crap both Bron and Wade aren't even in the top 3! I'm liking this good team ball. Heat are getting destroyed on defense though.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Surprised Spo kept Chalmers on the bench so long. I know this is Barnes third game back, but him and Brown ahve to do a much better job boxing out Miller. Inexcusable to give him 3-4 offensive rebounds that half, and not close out on the 3.

Laker bigs need to box out rather then just relying on their height.

Fix those, and I think they will win. They'll live with Chalmers taking 3's.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
lmfao you act like they aint in it (the team i mean)
You don't understand the majority of games it's LBJ and Wade doing all the work while the rest of the team does average/sucks. Now tonight it's the complete opposite, which pretty much never happens.

But everyone's getting involved so they're still in this. And LeBron is creating some great plays.

EDIT: Nvm Wade's showing up now.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well congrats on the Heat for the win. Can't win them all I suppose. I fully put the blame on the bench and Kobe. Don't understand why they went away from Gasol in the second half when he was doing well for the most part.

Oh yeah, never thought I would ever see LBJ flop lol.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
My goodness what a game... If THAT's what the playoffs are gonna look like I don't think I'll be able to handle it. Kobe is insane...

This is EXACTLY the kind of game this team needed. Bosh getting his confidence back, the Heat role players playing big and getting their confidence back, and Dwayne wade finally taking over in the clutch.

Lets carry this momentum into these last games until the playoffs.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Don't get your hopes up that high. I'm sure you're glad Heat broke out of their slump, but the playoffs are a different beast. We'll see how good Spo is at devising game plans. We know Doc and Tom Thib have experience. So does Van Gundy. Spo's gameplans have been pretty lack luster in the playoffs.

Also, it was good to see Bosh carry the team somewhat. Still though, it's only one game. Let's see if he regresses back to a jump shooting guy, or continues this style of game.

Personally, I was just hoping LA would catch up to Boston record wise, but even if LA had won this one, Boston would have to lose 3, while the Lakers go undefeated. Wishful thinking, but for now, LA just needs to concentrate on getting the second seed out West. Go Knicks!

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Yeah I'm high on hopes right now but this was a pretty big step forward from this hole the team has dug itself into. I honestly don't know what to expect from this team in the playoffs. I'm still 100% confident that the Heat can beat any team in the East and at least compete with the Bulls and Celtics when they're playing their best.

But if the recent "blow 20 point leads" Heat shows up they won't make it past the 2nd round... Maybe not even the 1st?

This team is too unpredictable. It'll all be on Spo IMO.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, I've always liked Spo, though I wasn't impressed by his coaching last year vs Boston. It was too much "Give ball to Wade and let him create". Similar to what Mike Brown did in Cleveland with LBJ.

Next game up for LA is Dallas. Big game. Assuming Mavs win tonight, they will have a 1.5 game lead for the second seed.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Still can't get over how good the game was... Just constantly went back and forth. Even though the chances of it are extremely slim I'd love to see a finals showdown b/t these two teams if every game would be like this.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well the onus has been on the bench. Let's see how they perform going ahead. I imagine this game will be a great confidence booster. While not as talented, Miami does have enough bigs to throw at LA (Damp, Z, Howard, Bosh, and Anthony). Though Z may call it quits after this season. Howard is up there in age too as well.

And good lord NY, play some damn defense. I've said it once, and I'll say it again. A team with Dantoni as your coach will never win it all.

EDIT: Do the Heat always have to say something moronic in their press game? Bosh admitting they were really REALLY desperate to get a win, and even had some "man hugs" afterwards. These guys just can't keep their mouths shut.

Top Bottom