• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Assuming Noah will be back, it's gonna be interesting to see how things work with the Bulls. The primary starting line up has only played 9 games together.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Haha, how did this vid become so viral lately? People keep trying to show it like a week after it launched. XD

Do it though guys, watch it!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think they showed it sometime during the all-star break, but yeah...I was really waiting for Kanye to pull off his meme...

"I'm gonna let you win, but LeBron James is the best basketball player of all time..."

-Kobe throws basketball explosive into his face-

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I wake up, turn on ESPN, and find out that Deron Williams is going to the Nets for Devin Harris and Derrick Favors: http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6150419
What the **** where the **** did that come from???

Holy **** BOTH D Will and Carmelo are in the East now... IDK how I feel about this from a Heat fan perspective that's yet ANOTHER team that could potentially become really, really good in the upcoming years.

My goodness this has been a crazy *** basketball season. o.0

EDIT: And now people are saying CP3 to NY is nearly done... I'm about to **** myself.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Wow, the West is being destroyed...this is so sad. Denver and arguably Utah are both nonfactors now when it comes to playoffs, and do damage to overall Western supremacy.

I don't get why CP3 would be leaving, given he's stated he's happy, and management refuses to move him.

One thing I do wonder about Deron is that isn't this his last or second to last year on his contract? What if he opts out to go say play...for the Knicks?

The West used to be so cool...if Paul ends up in the east...Hornets will be a nonfactor.

Lakers, Spurs, Mavs, and OKC. Everyone else just sucks -smh-

tko112

Smash Lord
this has been a WTF season so far

Jerry Sloan retires
'Melo, D-Will, and Arenas get traded
we watched the most one-sided game since the intro of the shot clock

you know what, I'm just gonna start expecting the unexpected for the rest of the season

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I wake up, turn on ESPN, and find out that Deron Williams is going to the Nets for Devin Harris and Derrick Favors: http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6150419
What the **** where the **** did that come from???

Holy **** BOTH D Will and Carmelo are in the East now... IDK how I feel about this from a Heat fan perspective that's yet ANOTHER team that could potentially become really, really good in the upcoming years.

My goodness this has been a crazy *** basketball season. o.0

EDIT: And now people are saying CP3 to NY is nearly done... I'm about to **** myself.
Wow, the West is being destroyed...this is so sad. Denver and arguably Utah are both nonfactors now when it comes to playoffs, and do damage to overall Western supremacy.

I don't get why CP3 would be leaving, given he's stated he's happy, and management refuses to move him.

One thing I do wonder about Deron is that isn't this his last or second to last year on his contract? What if he opts out to go say play...for the Knicks?

The West used to be so cool...if Paul ends up in the east...Hornets will be a nonfactor.

Lakers, Spurs, Mavs, and OKC. Everyone else just sucks -smh-
Yeah, I was blown away by that news this morning. It caught me so off guard. And if this new rumor about CP3 going to New York mid-season is true, wow.

Last I heard, Howard and Williams were being targeted by the Nets for the 2012 season. Not this one.

East is now stacked, but this bodes well for the West in my opinion. At least, for mine and Bored's teams. Less competition means we've got time to prepare as the East tears itself apart.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, but I always took pride in knowing we didn't have some scrubby below .500 teams getting in the playoffs. Now I can't even light a candle to that. I think Utah will still be +.500 if Favors turns out right. Harris is still a solid PG.

But yeah, East can beat the hell out of each other as much as they want. I guess at the end of the day, it's just a matter of who's holding the trophy in the end. Though I'd prefer a Western team does it.

Edit: I'm actually interested to see how D-Will will function without Sloan's offensive system. That's the only knock I've had on him. He's had a solid cast since day 1, and he's been in the same offensive system as well. CP3 went through coaching changes along with Rose. Rondo I'm still not sure on given the system he's in. I feel like he would be pretty bad without those 3 HoF players around him. The talent on NJ is far lower than what it is in Utah, but if they get some good players...we'll see.

Though I do want CP3 or Howard to come to LA one day. Kobe is not gonna be young forever =/.

Edit: Heat are shopping Mike Miller lol.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Yeah, but I always took pride in knowing we didn't have some scrubby below .500 teams getting in the playoffs. Now I can't even light a candle to that. I think Utah will still be +.500 if Favors turns out right. Harris is still a solid PG.

But yeah, East can beat the hell out of each other as much as they want. I guess at the end of the day, it's just a matter of who's holding the trophy in the end. Though I'd prefer a Western team does it.

Edit: I'm actually interested to see how D-Will will function without Sloan's offensive system. That's the only knock I've had on him. He's had a solid cast since day 1, and he's been in the same offensive system as well. CP3 went through coaching changes along with Rose. Rondo I'm still not sure on given the system he's in. I feel like he would be pretty bad without those 3 HoF players around him. The talent on NJ is far lower than what it is in Utah, but if they get some good players...we'll see.

Though I do want CP3 or Howard to come to LA one day. Kobe is not gonna be young forever =/.

Edit: Heat are shopping Mike Miller lol.
Yeah, I always took pride in coming out of the West too. This is a shame that so many stars left, but if you're a Phoenix fan, you've got to love this news. Also, with no opposition, the Lakers and the Mavs are going to play in the playoffs, great news for me. lol
Of course, the West is still da best until proven otherwise folks!

As for the offensive system thing, you're probably right, although I doubt he's going to take a huge hit with his natural scoring ability. Honestly, I think the biggest change in this conference is Melo leaving. Since he was drafted, the only Nugget that stayed through everything was Nene. Denver is rebuilding from complete scratch, and George Karl won't be there forever.
Things are gonna' be a bit different now. lol

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I know you're joking, but this whole "Black Mamba" crap is a blatant publicity stunt by both Nike and Kobe, and has no artistic or entertainment value at all. The only mildly amusing thing was seeing Yeezy as "the boss".

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Haha, it totally is all of that, and Yeezy as "The Boss" was great.

However, I really did like the vid. It's a small fun little thing to do for one of the greatest players in the game. While it's not my favorite, I love the movie feel of Kobe's nickname. XD

theeboredone

Smash Legend

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
And it works. Least it's not gonna garner a bunch of hate like say..."What should I do?????"
Oh, that LeBron commercial? Yeah, that was dumb too, but at least he's not making a movie out of it. Then again, LeBron already has his dumb movie: the TV special where he spited all of Cleveland in front of the nation without even telling the management first. Not that I like Cleveland or that loser Dan Gilbert. The only pity I have for the Cavaliers is for my boy Antawn Jamison, who sadly walked into a hellhole of a team.

/rant

Like I said, I hate both Kobe and LeBron. And sorry if I've come off as a bit cynical and nasty. But, when you're talking about your two least favorite players in all of basketball, it's hard not to sound that way.

However, I really did like the vid. It's a small fun little thing to do for one of the greatest players in the game. While it's not my favorite, I love the movie feel of Kobe's nickname. XD
Yeah, I don't blame Kobe for wanting to have fun (and I'm sure it is fun, for him).

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Oh, that LeBron commercial? Yeah, that was dumb too, but at least he's not making a movie out of it. Then again, LeBron already has his dumb movie: the TV special where he spited all of Cleveland in front of the nation without even telling the management first. Not that I like Cleveland or that loser Dan Gilbert. The only pity I have for the Cavaliers is for my boy Antawn Jamison, who sadly walked into a hellhole of a team.

/rant

Like I said, I hate both Kobe and LeBron. And sorry if I've come off as a bit cynical and nasty. But, when you're talking about your two least favorite players in all of basketball, it's hard not to sound that way.

Yeah, I don't blame Kobe for wanting to have fun (and I'm sure it is fun, for him).
So what's your reason for hating Kobe? I can see where you're coming from on LeBron, but I've always found it interesting that Kobe's whole career has been predicated on the whole "Love me or Hate me" concept me.

Unfortunately Mike Miller just doesn't have a spot on this team with his constant injuries and James Jones playing the best basketball of his life.

Too bad I'm gonna miss the Knicks game tonight. Should be interesting to watch though.
I think he's a better man to man defender than JJ, better rebounder, and a better playmaker. I think it helps the team a lot when Wade or LBJ have to go to the bench. Leaving one of them out with Bosh isn't all that great for them in my opinion. If anything, Miller will be very viable next year when he's healthy.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
So what's your reason for hating Kobe? I can see where you're coming from on LeBron, but I've always found it interesting that Kobe's whole career has been predicated on the whole "Love me or Hate me" concept me.
He strikes me as arrogant, whiny, and annoying. I hate his smug little smirks. Everything he does bothers me.

And I'm a Celtics fan. :p (Also a wizards fan, but they just suck so much right now they're kinda insignificant.)

I think he's a better man to man defender than JJ, better rebounder, and a better playmaker. I think it helps the team a lot when Wade or LBJ have to go to the bench. Leaving one of them out with Bosh isn't all that great for them in my opinion. If anything, Miller will be very viable next year when he's healthy.
I dunno... 31 years old, injury problems, and 2 consecutive so-so seasons is a formula for a career that's winding down, IMO. He could still find a second wind, but it would be against the norm for people in his situation.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
woahhhh....d-will.....damnnnn
I heard one of the biggest reasons Sloan left mid season was because of D-Will. The guy just didn't respect the coach. And I'm guessing since D-Will was going to leave when he became free anyways. The Jazz thought that trading him was the best they could do. And getting that height and those picks isn't that bad either.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
He strikes me as arrogant, whiny, and annoying. I hate his smug little smirks. Everything he does bothers me.

And I'm a Celtics fan. :p (Also a wizards fan, but they just suck so much right now they're kinda insignificant.)

I dunno... 31 years old, injury problems, and 2 consecutive so-so seasons is a formula for a career that's winding down, IMO. He could still find a second wind, but it would be against the norm for people in his situation.
As far as Miller goes, he shot 48% from 3 last year while playing in 58 games. 11 points ppg with 6 rebounds to add to that. I don't think that's much of having a "so-so" season given the season before he averaaged 10 ppg.

And yeah, being a Celtics fan is reasonable, and I can see the whiny part. Though his arrogance is what makes him such a badass. He has that assassin mentality, which is just awesome to see. KG has become a punk ever since he won a ring with Boston. He trash talked all the time, but he was never dirty. So many illegal screens and cheap shots...it's really sad.

Pierce is just a ***** and whiny just as much. Dude was calling for fouls in the all-star game LOL. Don't get me started on the wheel chair incident.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Though his arrogance is what makes him such a badass. He has that assassin mentality, which is just awesome to see.
Except to me, his arrogance is what makes him such a ******* with that douchebag mentality, which is just angering to see.

KG has become a punk ever since he won a ring with Boston. He trash talked all the time, but he was never dirty. So many illegal screens and cheap shots...it's really sad.
Don't get me started on Kobe cheap shots. Every minute he's pushing off or elbowing someone in the chest or (on rare occasion) in the face. To be fair KG is a lot more aggressive in terms of getting in fights. But to me that's what makes him such a badass. KG is just more intense than any player in the league. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLtwyOu_95Y&feature=fvsr (lol)

Pierce is just a ***** and whiny just as much. Dude was calling for fouls in the all-star game LOL. Don't get me started on the wheel chair incident.
Pierce is nowhere near as whiny as Kobe. Kobe get's T'd up soooo often because he's constantly *****ing and wheedling about every call that goes against him. Pierce will just make a face at the ref, say one thing, throw up his hands, and then walk off, unlike Kobe who has to follow the ref around *****ing and moaning for sooo long. I swear if he wasn't a star he'd T out far more often.

And you talk about calling for fouls in the all star game? How about Pau ****ing Gasol, the most whiny, annoying player in the league (possibly excepting Lebron). I hate Pau soooo much. He's this softy who dances around complaining about every time somebody so much as lays a finger on him. Then he scowls that mangy face of his, and proceeds to whine and groan like some ****ing little kid. He's ****ing 7 feet tall, and he expects to play through an NBA game without getting touched. He needs to grow the **** up and learn that as a power forward, there's something called BEING PHYSICAL.

Oh, and by the way, Pierce was ****ing ORDERED BY A DOCTOR to go off in that wheelchair. http://www.celticstown.com/2010/06/06/paul-pierces-wheelchair-wasnt-his-own-fault/
And how about this? He tore his ****ing MCL and played through the rest of the finals. Yeah, real whiner.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Except to me, his arrogance is what makes him such a jackass with that douchebag mentality, which is just angering to see.

Don't get me started on Kobe cheap shots. Every minute he's pushing off or elbowing someone in the chest or (on rare occasion) in the face. To be fair KG is a lot more aggressive in terms of getting in fights. But to me that's what makes him such a badass. KG is just more intense than any player in the league. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLtwyOu_95Y&feature=fvsr (lol)
So I guess you disliked MJ too right? Funny, because MJ pushed off, threw elbows, and he especially amped it up when he got older to create space for his fade away jumper. Same thing Kobe does. Dwight Howard throws elbows all the time, Jason Terry pushes off all the time, so I guess you dislike those players as well right?

KG is a punk. 90% of the time he's jawing with someone smaller than him. I have yet to see him smack talk with anyone his own size. Like I said, he became really dirty ever since he got that ring with Boston. I mean wtf is this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h9J20n9_kQ

It's as if he's entitled to being all that. You really don't come off as much of a tough guy when your offense is based off fade away jumpers, and when you decide to get dirty, you're elbowing people in the nuts or calling people cancerous.

Pierce is nowhere near as whiny as Kobe. Kobe get's T'd up soooo often because he's constantly *****ing and wheedling about every call that goes against him. Pierce will just make a face at the ref, say one thing, throw up his hands, and then walk off, unlike Kobe who has to follow the ref around *****ing and moaning for sooo long. I swear if he wasn't a star he'd T out far more often.
Everytime he drives to the hoop, he has that whiny face. Kobe probably just gets T'ed up more, because of his language than anything else. On top of that, Refs tend to have a target on certain players back when they get into it with the refs. Some recent examples have been Dwight and Bynum. Like I said, I agree Kobe complains often, but Pierce is no exception as well.

And you talk about calling for fouls in the all star game? How about Pau ****ing Gasol, the most whiny, annoying player in the league (possibly excepting Lebron). I hate Pau soooo much. He's this softy who dances around complaining about every time somebody so much as lays a finger on him. Then he scowls that mangy face of his, and proceeds to whine and groan like some ****ing little kid. He's ****ing 7 feet tall, and he expects to play through an NBA game without getting touched. He needs to grow the **** up and learn that as a power forward, there's something called BEING PHYSICAL.
I hate Pau. He only plays tough when it matters most. He's probably one of the biggest reasons for the Lakers struggle this year. He gives up way too many points, plays no defense, doesn't even attempt to contest shots, and flat foot rebounds. Nevertheless, calling him soft is stupid considering he gave Big Baby, KG, Sheed, and Perkins all they could handle in the Finals last year. In 2009, he did a hell of a good job guarding Dwight. If he had a bigger competitive spirit, I could appreciate him more. And Pau doesn't complain about calls bro...he might go over to the ref and say something, but he walks away. Pau only has one T this season, and he's not known for whining to the point you get T'ed up.

Oh, and by the way, Pierce was ****ing ORDERED BY A DOCTOR to go off in that wheelchair. http://www.celticstown.com/2010/06/06/paul-pierces-wheelchair-wasnt-his-own-fault/
And how about this? He tore his ****ing MCL and played through the rest of the finals. Yeah, real whiner.
Lol, if you knew anything about tearing MCLs, you would know there are degrees of tears and variations too it. And most sources, including ESPN and Boston confirmed it wasn't a tear, but a sprain. I'm going to trust multiple sources over that one, because other then that, I cannot find anything saying he tore his MCL. If it's a grade 1 sprain, he can play through that no problem.

And dude, he was whining like no other. Do you not remember him lying on the floor acting like a drama queen? Holding his knee, thinking his world was going to end? It was like watching Wade take a fall. There was so much acting going on with him, he should have been nominated for an Oscar.

Players like Wade and Pierce annoy the hell out of me, because when they get hurt, they complain and ***** about it. So when they play bad, they have an excuse...but when they play well, people think they are some badass when they make the statement "Injuries aren't an excuse". If they aren't an excuse, don't mention them. All I could do was roll my eyes when Pierce admitted after his 0/10 performance was the Heat his hand was hurting. MRI showed NOTHING. He played great D on LBJ, but funny how he used injury as an excuse.

My philosophy is this. If you're playing on the court, you're 100%. No excuses. Kobe has played through back spasms, sprained ankles, dislocated fingers, a Grade 2 sprained shoulder that sidelined him for a month, and he never once complained. Hell, even Lamar Odom never complained two years ago when he had to either take surgery on his shoulder or play through the pain. Other players who never complain about their injuries? Steve Nash...I don't know how many bumps and breaks he's taken, but he keeps coming back. Joe Johnson fractured his eye only to return a week later.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Bull****, 10 points from Gryffindor.
I'm gonna' chime in eventually on all this, buuuuuut, I like this too much, so I'll wait until they work it out themselves. XD

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm not mad or anything. I just get annoyed when people talk irrationally. It's why I was so bothered a long time ago when TRG and I got into the argument regarding the Heat.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Something about them not having the pieces to win the title I guess. I dunno. Too lazy to jump back 30-40 pages.

I just get annoyed of homers. Really hard to deal with online. In person, you can just make them look ********.

Top Bottom