• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Something about them not having the pieces to win the title I guess. I dunno. Too lazy to jump back 30-40 pages.

I just get annoyed of homers. Really hard to deal with online. In person, you can just make them look ********.
That was back when the bench was actually performing lol.

But like I've stated earlier this is the first time I've ever followed/discussed every game of a team's season like a true basketball fan, so yeah I was a bit naive at first but I'm learning a lot as the season goes on.

We all gotta start somewhere right?

EDIT: Really though we now have a Lakers fan, Spurs fan, Heat fan, and Celtics fan... This should interesting come playoff time. lol

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
So I guess you disliked MJ too right? Funny, because MJ pushed off, threw elbows, and he especially amped it up when he got older to create space for his fade away jumper. Same thing Kobe does.
Wasn't ever old enough to watch MJ, so I have no opinion.

Dwight Howard throws elbows all the time, Jason Terry pushes off all the time, so I guess you dislike those players as well right?
Yep, dislike both of them. I REALLY hate Howard. Terry not as much. Mostly because he's not as much of a **** as Kobe.

KG is a punk. 90% of the time he's jawing with someone smaller than him. I have yet to see him smack talk with anyone his own size. Like I said, he became really dirty ever since he got that ring with Boston. I mean wtf is this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h9J20n9_kQ

It's as if he's entitled to being all that. You really don't come off as much of a tough guy when your offense is based off fade away jumpers, and when you decide to get dirty, you're elbowing people in the nuts or calling people cancerous.
Don't act like KG won't go head to head with someone his size or bigger. Don't do that. At your request, I will PM you a gigantic list of him going head to head with big players. He's no angel, of course, but neither is Kobe (probably the second most hated player behind Lebron), for sure.

Everytime he drives to the hoop, he has that whiny face. Kobe probably just gets T'ed up more, because of his language than anything else. On top of that, Refs tend to have a target on certain players back when they get into it with the refs. Some recent examples have been Dwight and Bynum. Like I said, I agree Kobe complains often, but Pierce is no exception as well.
Pierce complains, but he doesn't carry on like Kobe does. Kobe gets Ts because he's just plain nasty. Don't whine about Bynum either, Bynum does enough whining for himself. Bynum gets plenty of calls.

I hate Pau. He only plays tough when it matters most. He's probably one of the biggest reasons for the Lakers struggle this year. He gives up way too many points, plays no defense, doesn't even attempt to contest shots, and flat foot rebounds. Nevertheless, calling him soft is stupid considering he gave Big Baby, KG, Sheed, and Perkins all they could handle in the Finals last year. In 2009, he did a hell of a good job guarding Dwight. If he had a bigger competitive spirit, I could appreciate him more. And Pau doesn't complain about calls bro...he might go over to the ref and say something, but he walks away. Pau only has one T this season, and he's not known for whining to the point you get T'ed up.
He doesn't get Ts, but if you've ever watched a Laker game you know he complains about virtually everything. You'll see him elbow somebody right in front of the ref, get called, and then complain. And did you even watch the all star game? Contested so many calls. But I'm glad you hate him.

And I'm not saying he's bad, he's certainly not, but he's soft in the sense that he complains all the time when, inevitably as a big man, he gets pushed around.

Lol, if you knew anything about tearing MCLs, you would know there are degrees of tears and variations too it. And most sources, including ESPN and Boston confirmed it wasn't a tear, but a sprain. I'm going to trust multiple sources over that one, because other then that, I cannot find anything saying he tore his MCL. If it's a grade 1 sprain, he can play through that no problem.

And dude, he was whining like no other. Do you not remember him lying on the floor acting like a drama queen? Holding his knee, thinking his world was going to end? It was like watching Wade take a fall. There was so much acting going on with him, he should have been nominated for an Oscar.
It took me about half a minute to find another source: http://celticshub.com/2010/06/06/su...rce-faked-his-injury-might-want-to-read-this/

Guess you didn't look too hard, huh?

If it's so easy to play through, why don't you go tear (or even just sprain) your MCL then get pushed around by a bunch of people 6 and a half feet tall? You're just grasping at straws because you brought up the wheelchair thing, got proven wrong, and now have nothing to lean on.

My philosophy is this. If you're playing on the court, you're 100%. No excuses. Kobe has played through back spasms, sprained ankles, dislocated fingers, a Grade 2 sprained shoulder that sidelined him for a month, and he never once complained. Hell, even Lamar Odom never complained two years ago when he had to either take surgery on his shoulder or play through the pain. Other players who never complain about their injuries? Steve Nash...I don't know how many bumps and breaks he's taken, but he keeps coming back. Joe Johnson fractured his eye only to return a week later.
Kobe does play through injuries, of course, but suddenly when Pierce plays through an MCL tear, you pull out the crap: "oh, it was probably just class one, so he can play, and I can't be bothered to take 30 seconds to find another source that confirms this injury". And you certainly can't extend Kobe's tendency to play through injuries to the rest of the Lakers, such as Gasol and Odom, who will sit out with strained muscles. Which is understandable (many Celtics do the same), but don't act like they'll play through anything.

And I guess Kobe doesn't really agree with your "on the floor, 100%" philosophy: http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/10/kobe-bryants-knee-about-60/

He basically talked about how his knee was "60%", saying he was "hurt" during the finals last year but was now better. He insinuates that the reason he wasn't having 30 point games commonly was because he was hurt.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
ITT: Playoff basketball in February.

And you don't hear me complaining Krazy, I love it.
Haha, we gots to liven up this thread a bit! :)

I must defend my Celtics!

(The Wizards are not worth defending, since every bad thing that can be said about them is probably true.)

/goes to sleep

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Don't act like KG won't go head to head with someone his size or bigger. Don't do that. At your request, I will PM you a gigantic list of him going head to head with big players. He's no angel, of course, but neither is Kobe (probably the second most hated player behind Lebron), for sure.
Players have labels, because they are known for certain characteristics. Kobe yells at refs and ball hogs, Gasol is softy, KG is known for trash talking little guys. Take those homer glasses off bro, every fan outside of Boston will defend me on this.

Pierce complains, but he doesn't carry on like Kobe does. Kobe gets Ts because he's just plain nasty. Don't whine about Bynum either, Bynum does enough whining for himself. Bynum gets plenty of calls.
Bynum actually gets the Shaq treatment. He's so big and strong, people hack at him all day. Guy only averages 6 FTs at best per game. The refs had a target on him during December. He was ejected against the Knicks after he cleanly blocked Stoudamire, followed by him going to ref and saying "Oh my god. Are you serious?". That was the first T. The second T came less then 10 seconds after the first one, where Bynum said something else, which was not a derogatory term. Since then, Bynum received plenty of T's, fouls, and no calls for his own benefit until he finally shut up and played ball.

It took me about half a minute to find another source: http://celticshub.com/2010/06/06/su...rce-faked-his-injury-might-want-to-read-this/

Guess you didn't look too hard, huh?

If it's so easy to play through, why don't you go tear (or even just sprain) your MCL then get pushed around by a bunch of people 6 and a half feet tall? You're just grasping at straws because you brought up the wheelchair thing, got proven wrong, and now have nothing to lean on.
Funny how that link is from a celtics oriented website. Bias much?
http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2008/07/so-just-how-bad-was-paul-pierc.html

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/boston-knee-party/story-e6frf9if-1111116563615

I did look hard. I googled "Paul Pierce knee injury 2008" and only once I saw a tear of MCL, while the rest have proclaimed a sprain. So I don't know what's the exact diagnosis, but money tells me the tear was later said after critics got onto him for dramatizing a sprain. It's a classic way to defend your player. Happens often.

And don't even GET ME STARTED on the several injuries I've suffered playing highschool ball and intramural ball in college. I've suffered a severe Grade 1 knee sprain that had me on crutches for two weeks when I played highschool football, but I finished the damn game even though every time I jumped up for the ball, my leg completely gave out under me. I've played through severe fractures. Last year, I played through a basketball tournament, and IM basketball with a broken thumb that took 3 MONTHS to heal. Everytime someone hit at it, every rebound, every pass I caught, it hurt like hell. I've sprained both ankles several times throughout my life, and only once I needed crutches. I've been playing basketball this season with a swollen left pinkie knuckle that I got from breaking and dislocating in NOVEMBER from playing football.

So don't you even dare talk **** to me about not knowing what it feels like to play through injuries. Sure these basketball players are taller and faster, but they should also have a higher tolerance to pain. Guys like Wade and Pierce are just *****es in my eyes when they overdramatize their injuries. They don't need 5 minutes to get off the floor to "collect themselves". Man up and get your *** to the free throw line. This ain't a movie. You don't need to tell the whole damn world what's wrong with you, especially if it's a bruise of all things.

Kobe does play through injuries, of course, but suddenly when Pierce plays through an MCL tear, you pull out the crap: "oh, it was probably just class one, so he can play, and I can't be bothered to take 30 seconds to find another source that confirms this injury". And you certainly can't extend Kobe's tendency to play through injuries to the rest of the Lakers, such as Gasol and Odom, who will sit out with strained muscles. Which is understandable (many Celtics do the same), but don't act like they'll play through anything.

And I guess Kobe doesn't really agree with your "on the floor, 100%" philosophy: http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/10/kobe-bryants-knee-about-60/

He basically talked about how his knee was "60%", saying he was "hurt" during the finals last year but was now better. He insinuates that the reason he wasn't having 30 point games commonly was because he was hurt.
LMAO! Re-read that article kid. He said he was 60% DURING the pre-season. He never said anything about being 60% in the Finals. If you don't believe me, read the comments on your link. All of them talking about how "the season has just started and he's complaining".

And you completely mistook what I said. If you're on the floor, you're 100%. Kobe gave an assessment of where his knee is after the surgery. His comments on how bad it hurt came what? A few months after the Finals? After they won? Never once he said anything during the whole playoffs about his knee.
--------------

On an unrelated note, LA comes back while down 10 to Portland in Portland, and wins in OT. Kobe hits back to back buckets to force OT, and then him and Gasol seal it. Gasol showing his "black swan".

Unsung hero? RON ARTEST! 24 POINTS! 5/6 from 3! Now he's gonna go disappear for the rest of the season lmao. He still can't dribble the ball though.

Lakers are now 4-22 in their last appearances at the Rose Garden. Just can't win there.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
What time is the game? I'll be going to the gym around 7:30 for ball, but I should be back sometime before 10. Is it a really early game?

By the way, I'm on Central time. lol

And Bored, it's not so much his lips, it's the way his mustache kinda' blends with his upper lip. XD

theeboredone

Smash Legend
What time is the game? I'll be going to the gym around 7:30 for ball, but I should be back sometime before 10. Is it a really early game?

By the way, I'm on Central time. lol

And Bored, it's not so much his lips, it's the way his mustache kinda' blends with his upper lip. XD
It's a East coast game, so probably start at like 7:30

And wow, didn't notice he had a stache going on....whole time I thought he just had big lips for some reason in that pic lmao.

Maaan, I bet you're a beast down low. Posting people up and swatting balls out like you protecting da house.

But I'm sure this is how you play the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX8JlAs3cAA

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
It's at 8:00 p.m. EST. I should have said tonight but since it's really late at night that didn't make sense to me considering it's just really early in the morning.

Did that make sense? :\

EDIT: Miami's own forward Juwan Howard thinks Derrick Rose deserves MVP over Miami's own Lebron James. http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=6150594

What the **** Juwan??

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
It's a East coast game, so probably start at like 7:30

And wow, didn't notice he had a stache going on....whole time I thought he just had big lips for some reason in that pic lmao.

Maaan, I bet you're a beast down low. Posting people up and swatting balls out like you protecting da house.

But I'm sure this is how you play the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX8JlAs3cAA
lmao, my favorite part is the windmill... rebound? XD
And I live in the paint. It's my vacation home. :glare:

It's at 8:00 p.m. EST. I should have said tonight but since it's really late at night that didn't make sense to me considering it's just really early in the morning.

Did that make sense? :\
Damn, that's a bit too awkward of a time for me I think. We visit my grandma daily after 6, so if I don't go to the gym I'll catch the game. Doesn't look like it though. :\

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah TRG, I read that earlier today. I mean...he's just being rational lol. D-Rose has done a lot to keep the Bulls a top 3 team in the East. No Noah, and no Boozer for a while...guy has been off the charts.

Edit: Best comments I've heard regarding Spurs vs Cavs Finals some years back...

"it was absolutely the WORST finals ever.

it was like a 40 year old man going up against a 10 year old kid.

Spurs probably were LOLing after every win."

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I agree with that 100% but you just don't do that to your own teammate... especially when the media nearly unanimously hates him as well as the rest of the NBA.

He should have just kept his mouth shut or stood up for LeBron. If I were LeBron I'd be thinking "Ok thanks for the opinions *** hole. Now gtfo my team."

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, it's a tough spot to be in for Howard, but even LeBron himself said his MVP chance got thrown out the window when he went to South Beach. Howard is a good guy, and he's been in the league forever. I'm sure he knows what to say and when. Maybe this is a diabolical plan of his to motivate LBJ some more.

Seriously though, they should just define the MVP award once in for all, and roll with it. We know what the 6th man of the year award means. We know what Most improved means. We know what Rookie of the year and DPOY means. Why hasn't there been an official definition for MVP?

Some say it should go to the best player. Some say it should go to the guy who makes everyone better. Some say it should go to the guy, that if you take him off the team, they are worthless without him.

I think even if you look at all those statements...Rose fits in all those fairly well.

I still think Kobe got robbed of an MVP when Nash won two in a row...that had to be the toughest Western Conference I have ever seen.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
TRG, you should probably tune into the ESPN shows and radio programs a bit more... :p

LeBron is a huge leading candidate for MVP this season, a lot of the media never lost love for him. Everybody feels LeBron ****ed up hard on the way he left though. lol

Actually, the Heat have escaped the majority of the criticism already. Nobody can doubt that they are a monster team, it's just that noone really thinks they can beat the Celtics. :\

And Spurs/Cavs was great. We tore that team apart, which never really helped our status league-wide. It was another action-packed finals with the greatest defensive team in the league. lmao

Edit: Bored, the MVP in my eyes is given to the player that voters feel is the Most Valuable. That's difficult to quantify, but it makes sense when you think about it.

Kobe's extremely valuable, but his value is lost on a great Lakers roster. Derrick Rose is a monster, and my vote as of now.

Durant is a good candidate, but that's all. He's extremely valuable though.

As for LBJ, there's no way anyone can underestimate his value to the Heat. They're dramatically better with him than they were without, and his stats and record prove it.

Manu can't win MVP with his sketchy jump shot though. XD

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Everytime I look at your avatar, I first think lemon...

But yeah, I mean most experts said they were not gonna win the title this year...so meh. Big question will be next year, what pieces they can get with the CBA issue and what not.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
WTH? LOL. That's so random!

I don't get this at all. Baron can be so awesome when motivated. He's been injured this year though...so bleh. Last thing Clippers need is less defense. Their game vs the Hornets was atrocious on the defensive end.

I just can't stop laughing at this. It was only a few days ago Baron popped his head out of a car to throw Blake an alley opp lmao.

Why would Cleveland use their 14.5 mil trade exception on him though? Do they only have it for one year?

Nike.

Smash Hero
Apparently Cleavland is also sending their 1st Round Draft Pick for 2011.

I know this year's class sucks, but DANG that's not easy to give up.

Baron must be pissed. He's a west coast person and now he's stuck in the threshold of hell x)

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
No ****. lmao

Good trade for the Clippers if this is a first round pick this season. Someone got an official report with all details? First pick in the draft, Clippers might be working on something here. Could you imagine Sullinger or Fredette on the same squad as Blake? Oh, and what I'd like to see, but haven't heard any rumors so far about: CP3 joining the Clippers instead of an overblown Knicks squad. CP3 and Blake would be a dream for me to watch.

Edit: http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6153550
They got Jamario Moon too. How many posters do you think the Blakers will average per game next year?

And my avatar is my boy Luxray from Pokemon using his x-ray eye. XD
Beastly mother****er that he is.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Yeah, I just read the new trade deal. Reports from last night were wrong it would seem. lol

I don't... think I like this deal anymore. I mean, I love Mo and Jamario as pick ups, but Baron was just starting to show interest in his team. And the Clippers will be a lottery team, so they're losing a high pick...
Unless this was about cap space to grab a big name PG down the road, which I'm thinking it was, this was an awful idea for the Clippers.

And honestly, outside of that new draft pick, I think this makes the Cavs even less impressive.

I'm wondering now how much of this deal is because Dan Gilbert heard everyone talking about the Jazz not screwing up the same way the Cavs did. Once again, the Cavs got criticized, and with everyone else making GOOD deals, I'm thinking he pulled the trigger to show he wanted to deal too.

I just don't quite understand all the details behind this yet.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
LOL wow. I think Baron trade was a salary dump. He was making 14.5 mil for two more years or something around that. What doesn't make sense to me is why the Cavs would want him, unless they just want to get that draft pick more than anything else.

Clippers have a chance to pick up a PG in the near future, but will say...CP3 be interested in the Clippers when the Knicks are rising? How about potentially ending up in Orlando or even the other LA?

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
He'll have his choice where he wants to go, and he may just stay in NO. However, Chris Paul loves throwing up alleys, and Blake is every PG's dream right now.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Clippers save over $12 milion over 2 years. They also don't have to spend more on their pic because this years draft class is only 7-8 ppl deep.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Personally, I don't like it. I mean...honestly it would be super lame if CP3 and Dwight conspired to come to a X team, even if it was the Lakers. I really wish there was some balance right now in the NBA. People keep saying the Celtics started it, but they fail to realize that Garnett and Ray were both past their primes and had done so much for their franchises. Way more than LBJ, Melo, Deron, Amare ever did. These guys are still in their primes, and are conspiring behind everyone's back to join forces. It's stupid and ********. The NBA is a business, and the players are employees. Yes free agency means you have the decision to go where you want, so that just means something has to be done about it.

The NFL has a franchise tag system, where you can keep the player for one more year and give them a salary based on the average salary of the top 10 players from their position. I'm surprised the NBA has not implemented that to keep their players. Basketball is a bit more sensitive since one guy can make a huge difference compared to the NFL where you have 11 players on each side. But still...something needs to be done.

What happen to the good ol days? When you had players who hated each other, and wanted to destroy one another? Bring back Barkley, MJ, Ewing, Bird, Magic, and everyone else plz.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Via Adrian Wojnarowski: "Boston has agreed to send Kendrick Perkins to OKC for package that includes Jeff Green, sources tell Y!"

Holy ****

Nike.

Smash Hero
"Battier traded to Memphis for Thabet and a 1st round pick"

Idk if it's confirmed yet. Damn, really hoping Spurs would consider him.

Top Bottom