• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

Nike.

Smash Hero
No details yet, but appearently Aaron Brooks just got traded to the Suns for Goran Dragic.

Btw, Trade Deadline ended 5 minutes ago so any trades that happened today will show up in the next hour.

Nike.

Smash Hero
OJ Mayo might be traded to Indiana Pacers for Josh McRoberts and a 1st Rd pick - (oh geez)

ChrisVernonShow twitter.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Why would Aaron Brooks be traded for Dragic? Brooks is straight up ballin.

Looks like Perkins trade is true...damn I'm kinda sad to see him go given how much he's given the Celtics. Interesting choice to trade him and Nate for Kristic and Green. I guess they are not worried about being big up front. Oh well, good for the Lakers.

Nike.

Smash Hero
HOLYYYYYYY ****

"Nazr Mohammed to OKC" - Yahoo

Nazr and Perkins, for pretty much nothing. Front court just went up a tier.

Nike.

Smash Hero
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Portland will send Joel Przybilla and a 2nd round draft pick to Charlotte for Gerald Wallace, source says.

This was supposed to happen last night, but the Cats pulled back all of a sudden. Now it's been reconfirmed.

Celtics traded their starting center for a backup wing. Makes no sense. Celtic fans are already jumping off the bridge.

EDIT: and now half of the NBA forums are running slow from too much traffic. FUUUUUU

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I feel like that was a terrible trade for the Celtics. I actually feel bad for Perkins... But hey OKC just got that much better. They'll put him to good use there.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Perkins' contract ended after the season. He was expected to ask for $10 mil a year and Celtics knew they weren't gonna go through with that. So they traded to fill the backup SF that they needed.

It's a terrible trade. This might be their last year to compete for a championship and he was way too important to the defense. Keeping him for the playoffs and then watching him walk away was worth the risk.

Oklahoma City just got super good. Their one major hole was their frontcourt and they just got 2 real nices to pieces to fill it.

WCSF's are going to be **** this year.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=44810.0

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Maybe this is some sort of super strategical scheme to help OKC beat the Lakers in the playoffs. :laugh:

EDIT: "Lakers, Heat, and Orlando must be having a ****ing ball right now seeing this"

Uhhhh HELL YEAH!!!

Nike.

Smash Hero

WojYahooNBA: Boston has traded Semih Erdan and Luke Harangody to Cleveland for a second-round pick, source tells Y!

Lmao. Celtics are giving away big men like candy. The O'Neals are the only ones playing center now.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Looks like Boston is just trying to get younger at this point, which is actually pretty smart considering the team is on its last legs.

But at the cost of one of their key players? IDK about that... They must have a lot of faith in Jermaine and Shaq.

EDIT: But yeah I am legit afraid of OKC now.

Nike.

Smash Hero
ESPNinsider_ espn insider

troy Murphy expected to reach a buyout and quickly make a verbal -agreement to join the Miami heat. According to my sources

Not good for the rest of the NBA

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
At this point IDK what to think of the Celtics. What are they trying to pull off here?? They just got so much smaller, and the Heat easily match up with Jeff Green.

BTW, this makes OKC a BIG threat to LA in the Western Conference.

PG Russell Westbrook-Nate Robinson-Erick Maynor
SG Thabo Sefolosha-James Harden-Daequan Cook
SF Kevin Durant-DJ White
PF Serge Ibaka-Nick Collison
CE Kendrick Perkins-Cole Aldrich-BJ Mullens

That team just became the Lakers worst nightmare. A team that is big, young, can run, score and play defense. Expect to see many Heat vs Thunder Finals over the next 5-6 years. ;)

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Don't overhype Marquis Daniels, Nike. lol

Dude's been a non-factor for a while, and he's got a history of concussions.

They traded him for cash so that they can have a bigger salary to deal with, whatever they have in mind for the future that is.

And honestly, the Thunder just got a legitimate chance to win the title this year. And the next. And a couple afterwards.
Good thing I like them, they'll be around for a long time.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, I'm really concerned now with Perkins and Nazr coming over. LA's sole advantage over OKC was the twin towers and how "tougher" they were. Perkins is no push over, and Nazr is pretty good too.

Though their weakness is still 3 point shooting.

I don't understand their salary dump. I mean...Daniels makes sense, but Boston got so much softer. Perkins is not only a good man to man defender, but a great team defender. Who's backing up Rondo now? You honestly think Kristic is gonna beast out with the Celtics? Green is a decent acquisition, but he can't shoot the 3, that's for sure.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I'll miss Perkins. :(

Celtics are clearly just getting younger and clearing salary space, though Jeff Green wasn't a bad pickup and Krstic is decent. I still don't like it though, as we have gotten a lot softer in one of our last years to make a championship run.

Also, fun note: the first 2 out of 3 times we beat the Heat, we didn't have Perkins.

Players have labels, because they are known for certain characteristics. Kobe yells at refs and ball hogs, Gasol is softy, KG is known for trash talking little guys. Take those homer glasses off bro, every fan outside of Boston will defend me on this.
Just because that's his "label" doesn't mean it's right. And yes, he trash talks little guys, but he also trash talks big guys too. Try to find any fan outside of LA that will argue with that. Again, you have no evidence, while I am prepared to send you numerous videos of KG trash talking big guys. You just don't want to see the evidence because you know you're wrong.

Bynum actually gets the Shaq treatment. He's so big and strong, people hack at him all day. Guy only averages 6 FTs at best per game. The refs had a target on him during December. He was ejected against the Knicks after he cleanly blocked Stoudamire, followed by him going to ref and saying "Oh my god. Are you serious?". That was the first T. The second T came less then 10 seconds after the first one, where Bynum said something else, which was not a derogatory term. Since then, Bynum received plenty of T's, fouls, and no calls for his own benefit until he finally shut up and played ball.
Oh please, there was nothing wrong about that ejection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dp0FtgjLTY (starts at 2:15)

First, he CLEARLY got a piece of Stoudamire's arm. I don't see any way you could deny that. Secondly, the reason he got the technical was not because he said "are you serious" but because he got right up in the ref's face. I haven't seen any evidence of Bynum getting bad calls on a regular basis.

Funny how that link is from a celtics oriented website. Bias much?
It's a QUOTE! A quote from the TEAM PHYSICIAN who treated the damn knee. You can't put bias into a QUOTE. Are you even serious?

These sources are both drawing from secondary resources whereas mine have quotes from the team physician who treated the knee. I don't know how you could argue that the team physician who treated the knee was wrong but random news reporters with second-hand information are right.

I did look hard. I googled "Paul Pierce knee injury 2008" and only once I saw a tear of MCL, while the rest have proclaimed a sprain. So I don't know what's the exact diagnosis, but money tells me the tear was later said after critics got onto him for dramatizing a sprain. It's a classic way to defend your player. Happens often.
If you actually LOOKED at the sources, the quote was from the team physician who treated the knee. The physician also said that Pierce was one of the toughest players he had treated in 11 years as an NBA physician.

And don't even GET ME STARTED on the several injuries I've suffered playing highschool ball and intramural ball in college. I've suffered a severe Grade 1 knee sprain that had me on crutches for two weeks when I played highschool football, but I finished the damn game even though every time I jumped up for the ball, my leg completely gave out under me. I've played through severe fractures. Last year, I played through a basketball tournament, and IM basketball with a broken thumb that took 3 MONTHS to heal. Everytime someone hit at it, every rebound, every pass I caught, it hurt like hell. I've sprained both ankles several times throughout my life, and only once I needed crutches. I've been playing basketball this season with a swollen left pinkie knuckle that I got from breaking and dislocating in NOVEMBER from playing football.

So don't you even dare talk **** to me about not knowing what it feels like to play through injuries. Sure these basketball players are taller and faster, but they should also have a higher tolerance to pain. Guys like Wade and Pierce are just *****es in my eyes when they overdramatize their injuries. They don't need 5 minutes to get off the floor to "collect themselves". Man up and get your *** to the free throw line. This ain't a movie. You don't need to tell the whole damn world what's wrong with you, especially if it's a bruise of all things.
MCL tears are much worse than most broken bones and sprains. I've played through a sprained thumb and sprained finger in basketball (two separate occasions), a strained calf in football, and run 3.1 miles in a cross country race with a strained achilles, but I probably would not play through a torn MCL, especially when playing a contact sport against huge, strong professional athletes. I'm not interested in bragging like a tool, so I'm not going to pretend that that's such an easy thing to do.

LMAO! Re-read that article kid. He said he was 60% DURING the pre-season. He never said anything about being 60% in the Finals. If you don't believe me, read the comments on your link. All of them talking about how "the season has just started and he's complaining".
Let's be smart here. He said he was 60% in the pre-season. He also said that was better than he was during the finals. Ah, but this is where something called "logic" comes in. You can actually combine ideas from these two statements to make an additional conclusion! Neat! If he was 60% during the preseason, and worse than that during the previous year's finals, why, we can conclude that he believes he was less that 60% during the finals. Ah, good old logic. Try it sometime!

I also like the derogatory use of the word "kid". Nice one. You really burned me there. Ouch.

And you completely mistook what I said.
Guess you should have been more clear.

If you're on the floor, you're 100%. Kobe gave an assessment of where his knee is after the surgery. His comments on how bad it hurt came what? A few months after the Finals? After they won? Never once he said anything during the whole playoffs about his knee.
But then he *****ed during the preseason next year... don't see what the difference is.

On an unrelated note, LA comes back while down 10 to Portland in Portland, and wins in OT. Kobe hits back to back buckets to force OT, and then him and Gasol seal it. Gasol showing his "black swan".
Lol yeah "swan" is a good way to describe him.

Unsung hero? RON ARTEST! 24 POINTS! 5/6 from 3! Now he's gonna go disappear for the rest of the season lmao. He still can't dribble the ball though.
Artest is a thug if I've ever seen one.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm really not gonna go into this anymore. Arguing is just gonna go back and forth. I'm gonna make a few points that I know you are clearly wrong at, and let it go. Also, that last line on Artest was uncalled for. I don't know why you would call Artest a thug given he's pretty much changed up who he is as a person, unless you still think he's a thug.

Jeff Green is a nice piece to have since he's a career 15ppg guy, but this brings up three points.

1. They aren't afraid of any of the other big men in the East. Aside from Dwight, they really shouldn't be. However, Celtics were already an average rebounding team, don't know where this puts them.

2. Who's backing up Rondo now? Delonte West? Von Wafer is a nice offensive spark as well, but no PG.

3. Celtics have practically no bigs now. Perkins was hurt going into this trade, but Shaq and Jermaine are still out. Erden has been traded, which leaves only Kristic on the front lines. I guess they aren't worried about assuming LA coming out of the West. Makes sense. Worry about what's in front of you first.

Though if there is any silver lining, they haven't had Shaq or Perkins for much of the season, and are still first in the East. I still don't like how they are deciding to rebuild now. Their bench was still formidable in terms of offensive production without Green. Delonte when he gets back is a 10 ppg guy, Von Wafer is a spark, Shaq, and Nate. Pretty good bench if you ask me.

Lakers play OKC this Sunday, but I don't think Perkins will play. A nice possible preview comes in April when they meet one last time before playoffs.
---------------------------------

Also, fun note: the first 2 out of 3 times we beat the Heat, we didn't have Perkins.
Deceiving a bit. First game shouldn't really count, because the Heat were still raw in terms of chemistry. They came together sometime after their 9-8 start.

MCL tears are much worse than most broken bones and sprains. I've played through a sprained thumb and sprained finger in basketball (two separate occasions), a strained calf in football, and run 3.1 miles in a cross country race with a strained achilles, but I probably would not play through a torn MCL, especially when playing a contact sport against huge, strong professional athletes. I'm not interested in bragging like a tool, so I'm not going to pretend that that's such an easy thing to do.
Sprain = Tear. The terms can honestly be used interchangeably. A grade 3 sprain is pretty much what people call a full blown tear. So a NFL guy blowing his ACL is a grade 3 ACL sprain. So not necessarily Pierce's "tear" would have been that bad. It was probably of the grade 1 variety.

One of my teammates (football) played through a sprained MCL. I honestly thought at first he shouldn't have, but he said most of his movement was fine unless he got hit there.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I'm really not gonna go into this anymore. Arguing is just gonna go back and forth.
Fair enough. We've had our arguments now, and you're right that they probably will never end. I'm sorry if I sounded too harsh; I get worked up over my sports teams. You've shown yourself to be a solid debater and I respect that.

Though that last line was uncalled for. I don't know why you would call Artest a thug given he's pretty much changed up who he is as a person.
I'm not even talking about the fight of years past, but he still commits a lot of unnecessarily hard fouls. You can see one in that game recap I posted earlier, when he gets a flagrant for clotheslining Amare Stoudamire.

1. They aren't afraid of any of the other big men in the East. Aside from Dwight, they really shouldn't be. However, Celtics were already an average rebounding team, don't know where this puts them.
Definitely could be a problem.

2. Who's backing up Rondo now? Delonte West? Von Wafer is a nice offensive spark as well, but no PG.
Yeah, it'll probably have to be West for now, sadly. We'll probably have to acquire a PG somehow. West wouldn't be terrible at PG, but it's certainly not a good situation.

3. Celtics have practically no bigs now. Perkins was hurt going into this trade, but Shaq and Jermaine are still out. Erden has been traded, which leaves only Kristic on the front lines. I guess they aren't worried about assuming LA coming out of the West. Makes sense. Worry about what's in front of you first.
Still, it's scary how thin they are in big men.

Though if there is any silver lining, they haven't had Shaq or Perkins for much of the season, and are still first in the East. I still don't like how they are deciding to rebuild now. Their bench was still formidable in terms of offensive production without Green. Delonte when he gets back is a 10 ppg guy, Von Wafer is a spark, Shaq, and Nate. Pretty good bench if you ask me.
Agreed on all this.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I've watched practically every Laker game this season, and not many hard fouls come to mind from Artest. If anything, Bynum deserves that title. However...hard fouls are good as long as they are clean. He was brought into be an enforcer anyways.

The guy is a good person. He's done plenty charity wise in regards to mental health issues, and he even sold his championship ring to promote mental awareness. He's definitely not right up there in the head, but that's even more respect to a guy like him coming from a long way to be where he is now.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
LBJ is about to show why he should be MVP instead of D Rose in 30 minutes. :cool:

Should be a good game but I think my Heat are gonna take the W. LBJ is gonna have a big night he almost always rises up to the challenge.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Noah is still rusty from coming back. He has like one game under his belt. Still should be fun to watch. I'll definitely be watching tid bits of it.

Nike.

Smash Hero
For anybody who missed out on the fun earlier:

Trade 1:

Knicks Get:
- Melo
- Billups
- Balkman
- S.Williams
- C.Brewer

Nuggets Get:
- W.Chandler
- Gallinari
- Felton
- Mozgov
- Koufos
- 2014 1st round pick (NYK)
- 2012 and 2013 2nd round picks (from NYK)

Twolves Get:
- E.Curry
- A.Randolph

Trade 2:

Hornets Get:
- C.Landry
- Cash considerations

Kings Get:
- M.Thornton

Trade 3:

Jazz Get:
- Derrick Favors
- Devin Harris
- two first-round draft picks and $3 million

Nets Get:
- Deron Williams

Trade 4:

Hawks Get:
- K.Hinrich
- H.Armstrong

Wizards Get:
- M.Bibby
- M.Evans
- Jordan Crawford
- 1st rounder

Trade 5:

Warriors Get:
- Troy Murphy
- second-round pick

Nets Get:
- Brandan Wright
- Dan Gadzuric

Trade 6:

Clippers Get:
- Mo Williams
- Jamario Moon

Cavaliers Get:
- Baron Davis
- 1st round pick 2011

Trade 7:

Bobcats Get:
- Joel Przybilla
- Dante Cunningham
- Two future first rounders

Blazers Get:
- Gerald Wallace

Trade 8:

Thunder Get:
- Kendrick Perkins
- Nate Robinson

Celtics Get:
- Jeff Green
- Nenad Krstic
- 2012 first-round pick from the Thunder, top-10 protected

Trade 9:

Thunder Get:
- Nazr Mohammed

Bobcats Get:
- DJ White
- Mo Peterson

Trade 10:

Rockets Get:
- Haskeem Thabeet
- 1st Round Draft Choice

Grizzlies Get:
- Shane Battier

Trade 11:

Celtics Get:
- 2nd Round Pick

Cavs Get:
- Semih Erdan
- Luke Harangody

Trade 12:

Suns Get:
- Aaron Brooks

Rockets Get:
- Dragic
- 1st Round Picks

Trade 13:

Celtics Get:
- Cash

Kings Get:
- Marquis Daniels

Trade 14:

Bulls Get:
- 1st round draft pick

Raptors Get:
- James Johnson

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Hm. LBJ always shuts down Deng though. Haven't watched the game yet. Will probably tune in close to end of 2nd.

Nice summary Nike.

Edit: No way Bulls are gonna win if they keep letting LBJ and Wade shoot like that. I don't know if those are lay ups or J's, but they have to do a better job.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
The Heat are running all over the Bulls right now. I think they have like 10 fast break points already?

And Dampier is also looking very good tonight. Both offensively and defensively. Very pleasing to watch.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Plus Bosh is sucking it up right now. (he's shooting 1-10...)

I'm feeling confidence (i mean confident lol) about this game.

EDIT: But WOOOOOOOW Bosh freaking sucks *** tonight. 1-13 shooting Spo needs to bench him ASAP.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well that's the bad thing about Bosh. If his J isn't hitting...he is USELESS. No inside game to get some bunnies around the rim.

LeBron has stopped shooting...and he's virtually stopped trying. That one on two Luol Deng had...LBJ could had easily swatted that, but he did nothing. He is deferring to Wade too much. This is my knock on LBJ. He was dominating, and his lack of killer instinct has led to the Bulls coming back.

Luol Deng is just out hustling LBJ.

Bench fails too lol.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
This is seriously the most disappointing loss I've had to witness. The Heat HAD that game...

IDK who I'm more tick off at: Chris Bosh or the Heat bench. If Haslem were back the Heat wouldn't have lost that game. I know it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I was thinking momentarily about your thoughts on Spo benching Bosh...who's behind him?

It's just a crappy shooting night. Bosh has probably been the most consistent guy, and it happens to the best of them. At the same time, Bulls made like 4/22 3's...which is never gonna happen again most likely.

Some key points...

Heat:

1. They still continue to struggle closing out games vs the elite. They have lost close games now to the Mavs, Boston, and Bulls.

2. Bosh needs something else besides taking jump shots. This is why he isn't a superstar or worthy of all-star mention. If you shut his jump shot down, he is NOTHING.

3. Heat bench fail.

4. WTF on the last two key plays? Why did Wade help out? Bron had Rose. One moronic play after another. LeBron taking an unncesary 3 when he had the drive.

Bulls:

1. I can now see why Kobe has metaphorically decided to eventually pass on the torch to Rose. Rose had that killer instinct, opting to control the ball, and take virtually any shot or make the right pass in practically the whole fourth quarter. Good for him. He's a hero if they win, but a moron if they lose.

2. Luol Deng. The guy has struggled vs LeBron match up wise, but he made his mark simply by out hustling him to rebounds and tip ins. Making LeBron work also = lesser offensive production.

3. On paper, they really don't have anyone to properly guard LBJ and Wade, but team defense was overall solid and good. I can see why they are one of the best defensive teams. Big credit to Tom T.

------------

Derrick Rose seriously makes the sickest lay ups. Haven't seen stuff like that since AI in his prime.

Maaaan, we should hoop it up sometime. Austin vs San Antonio. 2 on 2 or 3 on 3.

Top Bottom