• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You show no pride and confidence in your team if you want an opposition's player out for the season. The two REAL Heat fans I know want to beat Boston at full strength, because they want Boston to know, "Hey, we beat you at your best. No excuses." I wouldn't wish Ginobli or Dirk being sidelined for the season, and you shouldn't be wishing KG out for the season. You make it personal when you acknowledge wishful thinking about someone getting hurt to make your own, and in this case, the team's gains.

I am constantly annoyed by Miami bandwagoner, and even Laker bandwagoner fans, but like hell I would wish their hands to be cut off so they would stop typing up pointless posts -_-. All I wish for them is to have common sense.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Then with your logic I can say no team has beaten the Heat yet at full force because of Haslem and Miller being gone.

Injuries happen and teams need to be prepared for them. If Celtics fans truly believe that KG is the x-factor for beating the Heat then that's their issue.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You're right, injuries are part of the game, but if it was up to me, and practically every basketball player, they would tell you that they would rather face Miami at full force. However, I can't excuse you for wishful thinking on someone suffering injury for your own gain. That's just pathetic and pitiful. No excuse.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'd say it's more pitiful if the Heat end up beating Boston and the fans want to use the lack of KG as an excuse.

To each his own.

LAW2222

Smash Journeyman
It's nothing personal against KG at all I'm sure he's a nice guy and everything (lol) but just from a Heat fan standpoint this only works in our favor.

And trust me there are plenty of people that want one of the big 3 to get injured. >.>
if you beat boston without KG
are you REALLY beating them?
are the heat the truly superior team in that case?

Klaw

Smash Cadet
Boston is still the best team imo. When they're at full force with Rondo and Garnett, they're so deep.

The Heat are the opposite. Three players carrying the team, scoring like 70-80 percent of their points.

theeboredone

Smash Legend

Klaw

Smash Cadet
Should I regret being born on the same day as Tiger Woods and LeBron?

Edit: Also,

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5970204

Garnett is only gonna miss 2 weeks. That's what I figured considering he walked off on his own power. Given his age, it may be a month though LOL.

2nd Edit: Wow, even LeBron's birthday is for sale.

http://deadspin.com/5717152/even-lebron-jamess-birthday-is-for-sale
nah it means you're gonna make it big off a special talent of yours

BEHR

Smash Hero
im loving my rockets 15-16

not bad for a team that started 0-5

Smash Master
It's like everyone thinks Udonis was an afterthought for Miami. He was an anchor to our defense and could spread the floor with his midrange jumpshot. He led the team in rebounding off the bench before he got injured. Juwan Howard is not a suitable replacement. Eventually I'd like to see the rotation tighten up to:

Z/Damp/Joel
Bosh/Bron
Bron/Miller
Wade/Jones
Arroyo/Chalmers

9 man rotation. It works because Bron usually is in while Bosh sits and vice/versa.

Boston is so deep, even without Rondo and KG, that they shouldn't be dropping games to subpar teams. I think Doc Rivers is being exposed right now. I mean how can you lose to Detroit and Toronto when you have Shaq, Davis, Pierce, Nate Robinson, and Ray Allen.

I think Boston v. Miami will be a good series if everyone is healthy. People underestimate Miami's supporting cast. The big 3 only score so much because they can. Why go away from what works?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Boston is so deep, even without Rondo and KG, that they shouldn't be dropping games to subpar teams. I think Doc Rivers is being exposed right now. I mean how can you lose to Detroit and Toronto when you have Shaq, Davis, Pierce, Nate Robinson, and Ray Allen.
Yea I know right? When you have streaky Nate, 500 lb Shaq who plays like 15 mins a game, and a role player, there's no way you should lose to scrubby teams right? All Ray Allen does is run around, catch and shoot. Pierce is too old to carry the team on his back, and if anything, arguably their best player for THAT team, Rondo is still out. It's hard for the game to be easier when your true point guard is out. They are gonna be struggling for a while. Rondo comes back next game if not the one after then, so they should resume to picking off easy wins.

I was listening to Bill Simmons' podcast, and he brought up an interesting point. D-Wade and LeBron are pretty much a train wreck on a fast break/open court. Heck, if it's 2 on 1, with the 1 being LeBron or Wade, chances are they are still gonna get to the foul line. However, with that being said, it's important to note that if 15-20 of your points are coming from pushing the ball and getting points in transition...well....history says that never works in the playoffs. I know they will get better at it, but Miami needs to be prepared for playing half court, grinding out basketball in the playoffs. Sure in the first round, you'll be able to run on your opponent, but vs Boston, Chicago, and Orlando...you're not gonna get 20 pts a night from transition breaks.

Klaw

Smash Cadet
Kobe dunked on someone in the 76ers game. Haven't seen that happen in a while. nice to see he still got some lift left.

Lakers only won by a few points that game... not very impressive considering their opponent.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
So it turns out KG won't be gone for too long after all, so no more excuses Boston fans. Can't wait to see the two play each other again.

And I love how the Magic are disproving Miami's philosophy that "new teams take time to perform well." They're already on a 5 game winning streak and 3 of those 5 have been against quality teams. 2 of them elite. I'm happy for the Magic I'm hoping they get better Howard deserves a ring. Hell I'm happy for any team that will make it harder for Boston to make it out of the East.

Smash Master
I think you were the only one who thought that Miami doesn't need a halfcourt offense. They have one. There's 3 guys who can create off the dribble and when Z's in the game everyone on the team can shoot jumpshots.

Are you saying Garnett and Rondo take Boston from worse than Detroit to a championship contender? Please. There's no reason Doc has to play Shaq only 15 minutes a game. There's no reason he can't ask Pierce to be more selfish out there.

As a side note, our transition game will get better in the playoffs because older teams will get tired before we do.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think you were the only one who thought that Miami doesn't need a halfcourt offense. They have one. There's 3 guys who can create off the dribble and when Z's in the game everyone on the team can shoot jumpshots.

Are you saying Garnett and Rondo take Boston from worse than Detroit to a championship contender? Please. There's no reason Doc has to play Shaq only 15 minutes a game. There's no reason he can't ask Pierce to be more selfish out there.

As a side note, our transition game will get better in the playoffs because older teams will get tired before we do.
They are much suited to run and gun in the regular season, but if you look at history (Phoenix, Golden State, and everything before that), up tempo teams have never won a championship, or at least none I can think of.

Teams like Boston and Dallas have proved you can rarely drive on them, and they are gonna make you beat you from the perimeter. With that being said, can you expect a team to constantly shoot 50% of their jump shots? As the game wears on, those jumpshots become slightly harder.

Lol, Boston would beat Drtroit in a 7 game series right now, but teams in the regular seasons go through funks and good spells. I don't think you've seen Shaq play. The guy gasses out rather quickly. Pierce is 33 years old. If Kobe can't put a team on his back these days, what makes you think Pierce can? Doc is a good coach, and every team will have their struggles. Without a true PG, and their two defensive anchors (Perkins and KG), no bench playmaker (Delonte), they are really stagnant right now. There is only so much good defense you can play. If you have no good offensive flow, nothing is gonna work. These injuries are bigger then you think. Doc is still a good coach, and it's more impressive to see them have won so many games with Rondo missing 10 games, Shaq and Jermaine have been in and out, Delonte has barely played, and Perkins hasn't played at all.

I'm sure Miami's transition game will be better, but there is no transition game if teams get back. Vouching on teams being too old to keep up is a joke. That was the line I heard last year for Boston. Look at the Spurs. I dunno how old that team is, but they get after it. Dallas has Kidd at 36, and Dirk at 32. JET is at 33 I believe. Fast teams doesn't warrant a championship. Spurs shut down Phoenix when they were in their prime, and Golden State lost to Utah for the same reasons. New Jersey Nets got ***** by the Lakers in the finals, because Kidd could barely get anything going on the open court. Miami will have no problem in the first round, but vs Orlando or Boston, it will be a doozy.

Smash Master
Nobody here has claimed you can win a championship on just transition, but that bed of straw you made must be rather comfy.

Heat team playing like they partied all night last night, smh.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Can't win em all. If anything, Heat will make some epic comeback in the third. They tend ot blow teams out in that period anyways, so a comeback is natural.

But what I'm trying to say is currently, the Heat benefit a lot from transition points, yet they average barely 100 per night. They need to get their half court offense down if they want a shot at taking down Boston or Orlando.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Can't win em all. If anything, Heat will make some epic comeback in the third. They tend ot blow teams out in that period anyways, so a comeback is natural.
You must be a psychic cause that's exactly what happened. lol

But nah there really is something special about 3rd quarters for the Heat. I'm wondering how long that trend will last.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You must be a psychic cause that's exactly what happened. lol

But nah there really is something special about 3rd quarters for the Heat. I'm wondering how long that trend will last.
It's either Eric Spo is a genius when it comes to half time adjustments, or the players get "serious". I'm gonna lean more on the latter. Otherwise, the Heat would have been a better team last year lol.

Edit: Man, the Mavs are really hurting right now. Marion didn't play tonight, and they lost Butler to injury too. When that injury bug strikes, it hits hard =/.

Klaw

Smash Cadet
darn I made a wager a while back on the upcoming Mavericks-Cavs game , before dirk got injured. not much at stake for me, but...I'm not so sure of the mavs right now. they really did get ripped by injuries didn't they?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah it's very unfortunate. If anything, this is giving Dirk a bigger case for MVP. That team doesn't function well without him.

Edit: Reading people's comments on the Heat vs GS game...seems like a lot of GS fans are frustrated about the free throw disparity. 42-17...wowzers. GS defense is horrible though, and I'm sure they were taking plenty of jumpshots. However, some people are saying that Monte Ellis got fouled a few times by Z on the drive, but got no call towards the end. That's unfortunate.

Dirk is most certainly on the list of players who are truly MVP to their team...if I had a top 5 list it would be in no order...

Dirk, CP3, Deron, Rose, and Dwight.

Edit: Here's the post I was talking about in regards to Ellis being fouled...

"All you need to know about the game was illustrated when Z tried to foul Ellis on purpose with no call. And then it happened again about a minute later. It's astounding how a top five scorer doesn't get a whistle when he's absolutely clubbed driving the lane."

Don't know if that's the truth or not, but whatever.

Edit: Caron Butler has a partial tear in his knee. Will be out for a couple of months.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Coach Spoey is named the Eastern Conference coach of the month.

Unless the team goes back to .500 I'm sure nobody will be questioning his true role as head coach.

Congrats, and good work Spoey.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, and it is well deserved. Can't believe Butler is out for the season. So unfortunate. If it wasn't the Lakers, I was hoping Dirk would finally get his.

tko112

Smash Lord
to be honest, i was really hoping that the Spurs would lose their third straight and possibly have a losing streak going on, but a person can dream right?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
That's not happening this year there's no single team that can dominate anyone else on any given night.

Anyways, the Heat have won 19 of the past 20 games and are on the way to beat the NBA record for most games won on the road in a row. :)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm really happy LA stepped up and brought their A game. Good defense on the 3's and Bynum SHUT DOWN Amar'e until he got ejected in the fourth. Then Amare went nuts for a bit, but Gasol got it under control.

Kobe does not get the super star calls anymore. I saw three different plays in where the defender didn't go straight up, and if he did, grabbed Kobe's wrist or arm, and no foul.

Barnes is gonna be out for 2 months...torn meniscus. We can't stay healthy for a good month.

BEHR

Smash Hero
im glad hes not getting those superstar calls total bs lol

rockets need to step up

also how about that melo tradee in the workss

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Heat have now won 2 back to back games in overtime... Anyone Heat fan with a heart condition shouldn't have watched last night's game the Heat should have lost. They were down by 7 with only 2:15 left in the fourth quarter, but thank god for LBJ and Wade. Both stepped it up and made huge plays, especially LBJ.

But the Heat still should have lost their rebounding and interior defense was incredibly bad. They need to upgrade the Center position pronto Joel Anthony was making Anderson look like Shaq in his prime, and he's also stagnant on offense. Then the team had to resort to putting Bosh on him. That also didn't work out well.

At least they're now the number 1 seed in the East... Boston won't be able to keep up. And the team showed a lot of heart coming back to win in OT yet again.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Wasn't planning on seeing Boston keep up...they'll be fine even if they are the 4th seed again. Just gotta be healthy.

Well, I don't think anyone should get super star calls, but those were clear fouls committed on Kobe =/. Knicks just got pounded into the dirt by the bigs though.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
EDIT: *MAJOR FACEPALM*

That might have been the dumbest post I've ever had on Smashboards. I was thinking New York immediately when I read that.

I've had very little sleep so just ignore me. >.>

Top Bottom