• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

Klaw

Smash Cadet
Heat have now won 2 back to back games in overtime... Anyone Heat fan with a heart condition shouldn't have watched last night's game the Heat should have lost. They were down by 7 with only 2:15 left in the fourth quarter, but thank god for LBJ and Wade. Both stepped it up and made huge plays, especially LBJ.

But the Heat still should have lost their rebounding and interior defense was incredibly bad. They need to upgrade the Center position pronto Joel Anthony was making Anderson look like Shaq in his prime, and he's also stagnant on offense. Then the team had to resort to putting Bosh on him. That also didn't work out well.

At least they're now the number 1 seed in the East... Boston won't be able to keep up. And the team showed a lot of heart coming back to win in OT yet again.
Big Three scored all but 11 points out of 107 in that game. Bron and Wade are playing like the best two players in the NBA right now.

I don't think you can ask for much of an improvement in the supporting cast, with the salary cap being filled up by the Big Three. They already added Dampier, who is better than Joel Anthony.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I still don't like the fact that the Heat are so reliant on the Big 3 to score. Arroyo, Chalmers, and James Jones have been doing a great job up to this point but the big men really need to step it up... Mostly Joel Anthony and Big Z.

The Blazers exposed one of the Heat's major weaknesses last night, and that's interior defense/rebounding. The lack of Haslem really hurts them there. I don't care how many points the Big 3 put up if the big men won't play solid D then those point won't matter.

If Anthony keeps playing pitiful basketball like last night then I'm still not gonna be fully confident in a 7 games series with Boston or even Orlando.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
That's the major issue James Jones has been playing waaaay above expectations. So above expectations that some people are even going as far as questioning if rusty Miller really deserves a spot over JJ.

I still want to see Miller get more minutes so he can get back into his groove before I make that kind of judgment call.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
If I have any knock on JJ is that he's struggled in the playoffs. I don't exactly know how effective he was in Miami, but back in Phoenix, he was a big choker, and big reason why the Lakers almost upset them that one year.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Boston just lost to the Rockets Heat are officially #1 in the East now.

Watching this team go from being 9-8 to 30-9 has been incredible.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Didn't expect an old team like Boston to go at the pace they were going. With that being said, I expect the Spurs to slow down. Wouldn't be surprised if Pop starts resting players after the All-Star break.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Boston just lost to the Rockets Heat are officially #1 in the East now.

Watching this team go from being 9-8 to 30-9 has been incredible.
Can't lie, that's an amazing accomplishment. Feels good, huh? That's what it was like all season for us until we got derailed a couple of games. :D

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Yeah it really has been amazing this is the first season I've watched literally every game a team has played in so it's really something special to watch.

But man the team could have been on a whopping 21 game winning streak if they didn't lose to Dallas by 2. >.>

tko112

Smash Lord
i cant believe im saying this right now, but the Clippers have the best chance of snapping Miami's road winning streak, i know its far-fetched, but the Clips are playing good basketball right now, and they have the size advantage w/ Griffin doing his thing and DeAndre Jordan playing surprisingly well right now, maybe Denver can break it as well, but they have too much "drama" going on with the trade rumors, so because of that, im saying the Clippers have the best chance of breaking the Heat's road winning streak

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
As much as I like the Clippers, they're not playing good basketball. Blake posted his 12th straight 20/10 game, and still they lose games. My Spurs would kill to have a 20/10 guy like Tim Duncan again.

Clippers should be competing for championships, not for a .500 record. Blake doesn't provide enough defense, and the team doesn't as a whole. :(

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
What channel is that on?! I just went to NBA.com and saw the score was 86-35. My God. :O

tko112

Smash Lord
And the final score of the Cavaliers vs. Lakers:

112-57

wow, just wow, i don't what to say, now I've seen everything in the NBA

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Cleveland is absolutely NOTHING without Lebron... and it's hilarious.
Wrong, whenever LeBron was hurt the past few years, Cavs actually had a winning record without him. Right now, they are missing Varejao, Parker, Z, Shaq, and Gibson. I didn't even know half the players they played today.

With that being said, even if they had everyone from before minus LeBron, they'd be a borderline playoff team.

LeBron's tweet...talking about karma? Can't wait to see what happens to him then.

Oh, and good to see Lakers playing excellent D and not stepping off the gas. Watched the whole game minus the fourth...pitiful performance by the Cavs.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I disagree. LeBron being injured and LeBron getting his *** out of LEAVEland are two completely different things.

The team lost a lot more than talent, they lost the will to fight after LeBron embarrassed them. The team fought hard for the first few games and showed some promise when they even beat Boston, but after the Heat stepped all over them they lost their morale. They know they suck now w/o LeBron, and they've come to accept it. No amount of role players would be able to fix this team right now.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I disagree. LeBron being injured and LeBron getting his *** out of LEAVEland are two completely different things.

The team lost a lot more than talent, they lost the will to fight after LeBron embarrassed them. The team fought hard for the first few games and showed some promise when they even beat Boston, but after the Heat stepped all over them they lost their morale. They know they suck now w/o LeBron, and they've come to accept it. No amount of role players would be able to fix this team right now.
They lost morale after Heat stomped on them? Guess you didn't watch the game where Cleveland almost BEAT them AT Miami.

Also, I've been keeping mum on this, but I do think Byron Scott is an overrated coach. From the games I watched when he coached the Hornets, he had no authentic offensive system. It's the same in Cleveland. There's very little movement, except for at the person holding the ball and person giving the pick...he's a former Laker and I love him, but...he's just not a good coach.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I mean of course they're gonna do everything they can to beat Miami that's just natural.

This pic just made my night:

Cleveland's winning the race!!! :laugh:

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Big 3 pics are endlessly amusing to me. XD

Did anyone else watch The Onion's new show on Comedy Central debut tonight?
LeBron/Wade/Bosh revised the NBA's rules. I laughed until I cried throughout the entire story.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'll have to check that out then. Anyone see Skip Bayless' comments on the tweet?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/news/story?id=6014004

What kinda irks me about all of this is two things. One, I agree that LeBron and Dan Gilbert are being childish. I mean, it's been half a year now, and they are still taking shots at one another. I mean really? Didn't stay in the same hotel while both were in town?

Second, Daniel Gibson was supposedly still "friends" with LeBron after that. They talked, exchanged texts, etc...good to see what kinda friend LeBron is by tweeting such a douche statement involving Gibson.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
That tweet was obviously a shot at Dan Glibert. What LeBron did was wrong, but two wrongs don't make a right, and the retaliation in Dan's letter was waaay out of hand.

I'd say the tweet was fair game.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
That tweet was obviously a shot at Dan Glibert. What LeBron did was wrong, but two wrongs don't make a right, and the retaliation in Dan's letter was waaay out of hand.

I'd say the tweet was fair game.
The fact that LeBron is still upset over something that happened in June shows his immaturity as well. Way to keep a grudge.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
He has a right to be upset. He gave one of the sorriest NBA cities the best 7 years of their lives and when he finally decides to leave, he gets **** on. If I were a Cleveland fan sure I'd be upset for a while but basketball is basketball and the bottom line is winning. I'd realize that and then accept his decision. The whole city of Cleveland needs to grow up.

But nevertheless, LeBron has a big ego, so the tweet was obviously his final 1-Up on Dan Gilbert to show who's boss. And don't forget he's the new "villain" of the NBA... So taunting is what villains do... Am I right?

Was it necessary? no
Was it a bit childish? yes
Was it both hilarious satisfying to read as a Heat fan? absolutely

theeboredone

Smash Legend
He has a right to be upset. He gave one of the sorriest NBA cities the best 7 years of their lives and when he finally decides to leave, he gets **** on. If I were a Cleveland fan sure I'd be upset for a while but basketball is basketball and the bottom line is winning. I'd realize that and then accept his decision. The whole city of Cleveland needs to grow up.

But nevertheless, LeBron has a big ego, so the tweet was obviously his final 1-Up on Dan Gilbert to show who's boss. And don't forget he's the new "villain" of the NBA... So taunting is what villains do... Am I right?

Was it necessary? no
Was it a bit childish? yes
Was it both hilarious satisfying to read as a Heat fan? absolutely
2 things...

When you promise a city you're gonna bring a championship to them, you're gonna be asking for a lot of watchful eyes and criticism if you go back on that promise.

He started it with the decision. The fact he didn't even let Cleveland know before hand is a punk move. To go on national TV and do that will as you say, instantly make someone a villain. He's not only hated by people in Cleveland, he's hated by EVERYONE outside of Miami. I mean, he keopt Cleveland out of making potential free agency moves, because by then, everyone was gone and signed. Would they have gotten any of the big ones? No, but when you have a bunch of D-Leaguers and rookies playing on your squad, you'd take some free agent signees over them anyday.
-------------
Dan Gilbert's letter was stupid, but LeBron started it with the decision. Had he been more professional about it, he would not be looked upon as a bad villain, and he wouldn't have as bad of a rep. I guarantee you, if any superstar of their team went on national tv like that, and pulled a **** move, their team would not forgive him. Dirk, Kobe, Ginobli, Melo, Brandon Roy, etc...any of them, if they tried that stunt, their popularity would go down the toilet.

And LeBron a villain? Didn't you listen to Skip Bayless and that woman? Dude only trash talks to crappy teams LOL. Never seen him get up in KG's face.

Both need to stop with this nonsense. **** is getting real old now. Gilbert is a businessman, and the only sense I see from him is that, it keeps the Cavs fans coming, since he's on "their side". LBJ...I'm sorry, but he's just a egotistical douche. It's one thing to be cocky about your game, which he has the right to be, but when you're cocky about everything else in life, you don't deserve much respect.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Well whether you like the guy or not it sure makes for some **** good TV. :laugh:

Pumped for the game tonight against the Clippers. Blake Griffin is always fun to watch. I hope he puts up a few highlight clips.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
NBA...secretly owned by Vince McMahon.

Edit: Mavs lost again. Now hoping Spurs lose so Lakers can tie with Mavs and catch up a game.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Idk wtf is going on right now the Clippers have 44 points... in the first quarter.

EDIT: The Clippers are nearly shooting over 80% right now deep into the 2nd quarter I have NEVER seen a team shoot so amazingly... NEVER

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Watching the last 2 minutes of the Heat game...I didn't like what the Heat are doing. A Wade 3, two 3's from Bosh because he does not want to bang around with Blake, and a Chalmers 3....

Meanwhile, Kobe just ***** the Warriors.

tko112

Smash Lord
from the looks of it, it looks like the Clips have snapped Miami's 13-game road winning streak

if you ask me, i think it was karma for LeBron for putting that tweet yesterday

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
That was just poor execution in those last couple of minutes, but the Clippers really deserved the win tonight.

Not gonna lie though I'm starting to get sick of these random teams having All-Star nights against the Heat. But I can see the Clippers being pretty good in the next 2-3 years as their players develop.

At least the Magic also lost so their streak is also down the toilet.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
from the looks of it, it looks like the Clips have snapped Miami's 13-game road winning streak

if you ask me, i think it was karma for LeBron for putting that tweet yesterday
Nah, his karma will be when he gets bounced in the second round courtesy of Orland or Boston.

@T.R.G., it's the same thing with the Lakers. The one thing that bugs me though is Baron Davis. Now that guy is a total crowd feeder. If he played on a consistent all-star basis, the team would be so much better, and he would be considered a top PG.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
*looks at clippers game*

*knocks on wood then catches his breath*

im gonna air this out so all the ignorant people and fan boys and everyone can get it

1. stop generalizing cleveland fans

to that point the trade situation between lebron and cleveland it the fault of both sides there are intangibles that people dont know about from both ends and when you try to speak on it you sound silly (nicest word i can think of) especially calling every cleveland fan sore and bitter.

2. mostly everyone with half a brain in cleveland sees that the best thing is to move on.

now i personally thought that karma would save lebron when he explained himself (Like he was supposed to on sports center) and didnt think they would lose to the clippers. but hopefully no more "tweets" will surface again.

remember folks "keep it basketball" lol...

Top Bottom