• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Yup! So glad it's finally here. Tonight's game is gonna have a playoff feel to it.

Really looking forward to it.

Excited to see Rose's return as well.

tko112

Smash Lord
so i just finished watching Lakers/Clippers game, and wow, didn't expect it to go down the way it did, I'm both shocked and impressed

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
cavs and nets wooo
shouldve watched the rest of the lakers clippers game lol
thats a shocking outcome

heat looked like mid season form lol and the bulls looked like the same team in the 2011 finals
wheres your offense?
very little moves made during 2 seasons biggest move other then getting rose is getting mike dunleavy jr
rose looked the same as he always does good hopefully getting better along with his teammates (offensively)

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
After the game I noticed a lot Bulls fans just won't accept the fact that the Heat are a bad match up for them.

The reason the Heat are constantly able to get away with pressuring Rose by trapping every time he brings the ball up is because the Bulls don't have any other consistent scoring threats that can put the ball on the floor and make them pay for it. The teams that give Miami the toughest time are teams that can punish the Heat for going small (through either low post scoring or taking our slower defenders such as Ray/Battier off the dribble), and the Bulls can't do that since their big men aren't low post threats and nobody besides Rose can actually put the ball on the floor and create their own offense.

There's a reason the Pacers are such a tough match up for the Heat. Every time the Heat try to go small against them David West abuses the **** out of Battier at the 4 position while Paul George and company are able to take guys like Ray off the dribble. When the Heat can't go small it forces them to play a more traditional lineup, which means the floor spacing isn't nearly as good which leads to less driving lanes available for LeBron and Wade. It plays right into the Pacers hands.

There's just no way the Bulls as currently constructed can beat a healthy Miami Heat team unless if they get a 2nd scoring threat.

EDIT: What... the... ****?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Wow Heat, really? Doesn't Vegas have the 76ers over and under 20 wins or something? On top of that, some dude on their squad almost gets a quadruple double.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
That's Michael Carter Williams you're talking about, son... The next MJ in the making.

I'm not surprised with the result. I said this would be a trap game. Heat are the regular season masters of playing down to their opponents.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
That "What do the Mavs say?" video was weird. I have no idea what it is suppose to mean lol. Is it just them being silly? Ehh...who cares, let them have fun. Strangely, that jingle is going to be in my head for a little while.

I haven't been able to watch any basketball yet. Been too busy with things.

I noticed the Detroit Pistons won, and with them being 1-0, and really soon not being in the race of record dominancy....I'm only going to type this once while it has the highest value of being relevant.

DEEEEEETROIT BASKETBAAAALLL!!!

I had to get that out of my system lol. Now onto other matters.

I just score checked and noticed the Spurs defeated the Grizzlies. I wonder if there was anything different between the two teams styles of play compared to the Western Conference Finals of 2013. It's only one game, but it is interesting to notice any adjustments after the off-season break.

This is going to be a good season. I'm curious to see if Indiana can snag 55-60 wins. They played well against Miami last year in the playoffs and can carry that momentum forward. That would once again make an interesting Eastern Conference Finals.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Why people wanna keep talking about the 2011 east finals when no one wanna bring up how the heat lost to those old *** mavs in the finals?

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
its because of the time line
that ecf loss to the heat was definitive. the recipe for beating the bulls was to triple rose and make someone else beat them.
Chicago failed to do that.
in between that time span you lost rose and got knocked out first round. last year you made second round and got knocked out.

when rose is off the floor bulls struggle.
and the moves made were...minimal to say the least.
need a scorer to help with this offensively challenged team.
especially since this team is full of vets they arent really in the development/honey moon stage.
lot of expiring contracts.
this team should be championship or bust. so its held to the standard of what are you going to do against the top teams.
its lacks enough offense to truly be world beaters.
I expected more moves in the off seasons in between seasons to address this glaring issue.

the heat have a great offense and great defense (as good as the bulls)
the bulls have great defense and questionable offense.
as much heart as they showed last year this doesnt get fixed cause rose is back because you go back to the 2011 team.
will these guys get better offensively i hope or its time for multiple personnel changes

a prediction for me

chicago will have the best regular season record in the east, they will be the first seed
but they are the 4th best team in the ECF

anyways go cavs wooo... somehow won in a nice home opener against a interesting nets team

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Why people wanna keep talking about the 2011 east finals when no one wanna bring up how the heat lost to those old *** mavs in the finals?

Miami Heat have a much, much better team than the 2011 one thanks to the improvement of LBJ alongside a superior supporting cast.

Chicago Bulls really aren't much different than the 2011 team, but with a worse bench IMO.

Did Pierce also take his wheel chair to Brooklyn?
Lol... I really hope the Heat beat em tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm gonna miss the game since I'm going to a smashfest around 8-9.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I liked the Halloween colors the Bulls and Knicks displayed for the game last night. Unless it's a Lakers home game, I don't think I've ever seen both teams not wearing white jerseys on the floor. Congrats to D. Rose on his return to the United Center and game winning score.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Interesting, as of 11/12/2013, just about every team in the Eastern Conference besides the Indiana Pacers are either .500 or worse. This definitely won't last, but seeing so many even records is interesting.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
You're not the only one... Who thought BOSTON and Philly of all teams would be .500 at this point? lol

New York, Brooklyn, Chicago, and to a lesser extent Miami have all gotten off to really slow starts while the Pacers are looking the world beaters I expected to see.

Suspect

Smash Hero
Interesting, as of 11/12/2013, just about every team in the Eastern Conference besides the Indiana Pacers are either .500 or worse. This definitely won't last, but seeing so many even records is interesting.
its the leastern conference, what do you expect?

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
that warriors thunder game was one of best games this season
dwight howard fits in this offense it looks exactly like the situation with the magic with shooters add on one more star

the problem is that he post up game is ****ing garbage
he lacks a go to move in the post his footwork...wait what footwork

bargnani is a spot up shooter that happens to be a tree

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
The Rockets' identity last season offensively was a high-pace team that put up a ton of points, putting a low post presence who can't shoot free throws and can't post up for **** and can't shoot (like you said, it's legitimately difficult for me to watch him once he catches it in the post) really does not jell. If Dwight played like Marc Gasol I could see it working. Also, Howard's defense has been good but that doesn't really help much when their perimeter defense is so god-awful. Rockets have a lot of holes, I wouldn't be surprised if they got knocked out in the first round again.

Landry

Smash Ace
The Pacers really hadn't beaten any good teams on that 9-0 run except for that first win against the Bulls (who clearly are taking a little while to get going). The loss wasn't really too surprising.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
WTF is going on with the NY teams? Both 3-8 only teams worse than them record wise are the Jazz and Bucks.

And to think they were both supposed to be EC top 5 seeded teams...

YIKES

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Not only are the NY teams bad, but the Atlantic Division is terrible. The Raptors are winning it with a losing record of 4-7. The Raptors are also the only team in that division with a winning streak of 1 game. All the other teams have a losing streak of at least 3 to 5 games.

Are the Nets bad because they still need to figure out how to play as a newly formed team? I know KG and Pierce have been together for 5 seasons, but with a new group of players to work with I don't know if it has anything to do with it.

As for the Knicks....I don't know. I was hoping New York would turn the corner after finally making it to the second round of the Eastern Conference Finals. The Knicks haven't had anywhere near the success that they had when their roster consisted of Patrick Ewing, John Starks, and Allan Houston. I'm not a Knicks fan, but New York is a basketball franchise you would expect to be good. Yes there are down years, but the Knicks haven't been much of a dominant team in the NBA since the late 1990's, and by dominant I mean a team that a competent fan could think "The Knicks might have what it takes to contend for an NBA Championship."

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
The 3-draft-picks-for-Andrea-Bargnani trade (a long with many other deals over the past few years, *cough* Amar'e *cough*) made me question the idea of the Knicks being good this year, and with Chandler out now they're basically just ****ed until he gets back. Carmelo had a good game last night but he can't carry this team to a good seeding by himself, he's not Lebron on the Cavs.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
And down goes Chicago's season... If NY and Brooklyn keep sucking ass then the East really will be just a 2 man race b/t Miami Indy... What a shame.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Dang...I feel very bad for D. Rose. It had to be agonizing sitting on the bench all season last year wanting to play. It had to feel even worse watching his team struggle against the Miami Heat this past post-season. Eventually after a very long wait, Rose was back. Likely not 100%, but back and grateful to be helping his team during the fresh start of a new season. It was now a new beginning with the past being an afterthought with each passing day; especially if the Bulls could get hot and be in the fight for a top seed, or even contend strongly in the 2014 NBA Playoffs for the Championship.

.....Now this happens unexpectedly. I hate to fathom the thoughts circling Rose's mind right now. It might no longer be the questions of whether or not he can come back at some point to help his team; but more if will he ever come back to be the same player, or will he even really be able to play again with the intensity and style.

I believe Rose will at some point play again, but I honestly don't know if he could ever be the same player he was before. Mentally he might always be worried about injury, which could effect his game, but Rose might also not be able to do things physically like he did before the 2012 NBA Playoffs. Hopefully I'm jumping the gun on this thought. Hopefully this new injury will surprisingly be relatively minor, even though it is bad. Hopefully Rose will come back from it and be the MVP type of player before any of it and just wow people, similar to Adrian Peterson in the NFL.

Bottom line, the whole thing sucks.

I can't wait for Kobe to play again as well, and I really pray that he doesn't re-injure himself, or that something new doesn't spring up to hurt him. It is bothersome how injuries can ruin and water down the league soo much. I've watched 2 Lakers games on ESPN Friday's this season, and without Kobe on the floor the Lakers just don't have that same interest/vibe, even though they won yesterday against Golden State.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Rose will be back... But IMO his MVP days are long gone. If he was having mental hurdles with one bad knee imagine how he's gonna be now with 2 bad knees.

I feel bad for Chicago fans the most.

Top Bottom