• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
Lol I'm no Rose fan, not tryna defend him or anything. Just think you're giving Lebron too much credit for the performance. And yeah, Heat aren't exactly coasting to the Finals.

I'm just gonna pretend I didn't read someone say Kobe isn't a top 10 player.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
probably the best logic ive ever read
Ok.

Since my logic is so dumb lets hear your reasoning as to how the Heat have been gifted with "free trips" to the Finals. Then I'd like to hear why this is relevant at all considering they have now proved for the 2nd year in a row that they are the best team in the NBA and could most likely beat any team in a 7 game series. And THEN I'd like to hear your explanation on the fact that the Heat have had better regular season winning records against the "vastly superior" WC teams as opposed to the "easy EC teams for the past 2 seasons.

The floor is all yours. I'm waiting.

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
Ok.

Since my logic is so dumb lets hear your reasoning as to how the Heat have been gifted with "free trips" to the Finals. Then I'd like to hear why this is relevant at all considering they have now proved for the 2nd year in a row that they are the best team in the NBA and could most likely beat any team in a 7 game series. And THEN I'd like to hear your explanation on the fact that the Heat have had better regular season winning records against the "vastly superior" WC teams as opposed to the "easy EC teams for the past 2 seasons.

The floor is all yours. I'm waiting.
Not for nothin, but the regular season record can be explained by the fact that teams play other teams in their division more often than other teams. And Miami's division is...lol. Maybe he's referring to how terribly the majority of Heat games are officiated. Idk.

Jane

Smash Hero
miami is an elite team, plain and simple. easily top 3. easily.

now, are they in the most laughable division? yes. do they belong to the weaker conference? yes. are a lot of heat games shoddily officiated, usually in their favor? a lot of people seem to think so.

but the fact of the matter is, miami is one of the best basketball teams in existence, even if the above things weren't true. but the above things are true, and so their path is made just a teensy bit easier. just means that if someone wants to dethrone them they have to work that much harder.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Not for nothin, but the regular season record can be explained by the fact that teams play other teams in their division more often than other teams. And Miami's division is...lol. Maybe he's referring to how terribly the majority of Heat games are officiated. Idk.
Their division isn't even what I'm talking about. The Heat have had higher winning percentages against western conference teams than eastern conference teams.

Yes the EC as a whole is pretty much a joke but to say the heat have had free trips to the Finals is an extreme exaggeration and disrespectful to those Celtics and Pacers teams that pushed the Heat to their limit.

Suspect

Smash Hero
I seriously doubt the Miami Heat would make it to the finals 3 times in a row playing IN the western conference. Bring more talent to the East = East as a whole doing better = Miami having a harder time in the playoffs. Not having a bye first round like this year and a semi-bye 2nd round. Pacers are nothing but a worse version of the spurs, actually kinda embarrassing that the Heat went to game 7 with them. Pacers coach isn't the brightest either.

as far as record against WC and EC, even though that really has nothing to do with what im talking but since you brought it up it reminded that almost every time I saw a Heat game coming up it was against a wnba or d-league team. Swear they played Orlando like 8 times

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Why wouldn't they? Have they not proved they are the best team in the NBA? The conference you play in really doesn't make much of a difference when you're the undisputed best team in the NBA lol. You can't discredit the Heat for playing who's in front of them. If they played in the WC they would still most likely end up 2 time champions. Only difference might have been an early exit by the Mavs in 2011. And you're still underrating those Celtics and Pacers teams. Both were easily op 5 teams in their respective seasons.

And I've already acknowledged the fact that the WC is stronger overall. I'm just calling you out for attempting to belittle their accomplishments just because of the conference they play in.

This argument is pretty pointless overall since I still believe the two biggest threats to Miami are in the Eastern Conference as of now.

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
Pacers a top 5 team out of the whole NBA? lmfao
Nothing wrong with that statement.

Same thing with Jordan & LeBron

:pow:
That's a bit different, since Lebron is a totally different player than Jordan, and still has much to accomplish in his career. Kobe on the other hand is virtually the same player as Jordan (playstyle and mentality), and is extremely accomplished. Jordan himself said he's be offended if anybody other than Kobe was compared to him.

Suspect

Smash Hero
So you'd take pacers over any of these teams?

Heat
Thunder
Spurs
Nuggets
Clippers
Grizzlies

Id even take the Warriors over the Pacers overall.

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
Wow, you must not like the Pacers or somethin. For me, it's
Heat/Spurs
Spurs/Heat
Thunder
Pacers
Grizzlies

Nuggets are nothing. They're certainly not a playoff team, where their fast-paced breakaways are ripped away from them. And Warriors go as Curry goes, they need at least one more piece. Clips as they stand now, aren't much of a problem. Next year they'll be much improved, and probably a top 5 or even top 3 team.

Suspect

Smash Hero
no, just the pacers arent THAT good. Nuggets are nothing? When they had injuries yeah, but other than that they are a really good team that has an altitude advantage at home.

If warriors go as Curry goes, then the same can be said about Paul George and the pacers. Clippers arent a problem to who? They had a better regular season but were unfortunate enough have to play the grizzlies first round...they had a better record than the pacers and had to play the grizz first while pacers played the hawks lmao (see what I mean about leastern conference?)

and as far as next year, if D.Rose finally comes back and the rest of the bulls as well and stay healthy...and even if the lakers stay healthy you may want to change your opinion.

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
No, the same cannot be said about Paul George and the Pacers. He's got Hibbert, West, and Hill for a supporting cast, not to mention Granger coming back. The Warriors have who to help Curry? Lee? They rely waaay too heavily on Curry.
And you're right about the Bulls for next year, but i was talking about this year. Lakers are a lost cause imo.

Jane

Smash Hero
pacers have george and west. granger when he comes back but hill is a nonissue, lol.

warrs got help from thompson, jack, barnes, occasionally rush, and lee. yes, curry was the main weapon, but it certainly wasnt a one man show.

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
Lmao what? The Warriors run this year is the DEFINITION of a one-man show. Thompson showed up once, and Jack had a good quarter against the Spurs. It was the Curry Show in Golden State.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
This playoff run yes the Pacers played like a top 5 team. And even if they are or not isn't the point: basketball is a game of MATCH UPS. Pacers match up with the Heat better than any other team in the NBA thanks to their size and perimeter defense.

Ask any Heat fan who'd they rather play in a 7 game series: the Pacers or the Thunder. Vast majority will say the Thunder. Does that mean the Pacers are the overall better team? No. Match ups dudes... match ups.

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
As much as I hate to admit it...my Thunder match up terribly against the Heat. You'd think they fix that problem by now.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah that is pretty crazy, but it puts the Nets in "win now" with a rookie coach. Nets gave up 3 future first round picks. They are so screwed if they don't win a chip.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
This Nets team will definitely be interesting. Definitely did not see this coming. As long as Jason Kidd can coach decently this lineup might be able to make waves in the NBA in the next few seasons. I don't know what Brooklyn's bench really consists of. A great 6th man is always essential.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
They still need to fill out their bench. I'm going to assume Terry bounces back and has a solid season. But, they will still need a few bench players to make themselves competitive.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'm really interested in seeing how much of a basketball "genius" J Kidd really is.

I feel like he's either gonna be a huge disappointment or a huge surprise.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Dwight Howard to the Rockets.

Lakers screwed for this season. Rockets become contenders.

West is even more stacked than ever now...

Thunder
Spurs
Clippers
Rockets
Warriors
Grizzlies

Can't wait.

NTA

Smash Lord

Better tear it up in houston xD

Top Bottom