• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

Jane

Smash Hero
^as well as the clips/lakers. i predict (and hope) this will happen in the second round by clips taking the 1 seed and lakers the 4

theeboredone

Smash Legend
George Hill with back to back clutch shots, with Kobe inbetween that hitting a clutch 3 to tie it.

Man Lakers' free throw shooting sucks.

Jane

Smash Hero
i caught the end of it, just in time to see those three shots. george hill is pretty BA. and kobe is kobe. "the wounded mamba" hahaha

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It just sucks knowing in crunch time, you can't really give the ball to your best player (Dwight) without him getting fouled...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
That was a terrible call in itself. Duhon was there for the charge 10 minutes before West ran through him. Was actually sort of a game changer. And lol at Kobe's reaction.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Sacramento
Orlando
Washington in OT (lol)
Charlotte twice
LA Clippers
Clippers win was legit, the rest they took care of business.
They got unlucky being in Harden's first Rocket game lol. LAC/Miami losses.
Probably killing themselves over losing to the Warriors, could've been an 8 game winning streak.
Tough 2 game stretch of Memphis/Miami next week. I REALLY hope they steal the Memphis game, but losing both (on the road) would be totally acceptable.

Yea, Hawks are actually doing pretty good so far.

Jane

Smash Hero
and wow, this from the same game. pierce getting son'd (if i may use the verb) by joe johnson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Avkda1ysFQU

this was nastier than any dunk i've ever witnessed.
"joe johnson snake charms paul pierce" <--- LMAO

and then these couple plays from the rockets thunder game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On4_uU-9zEY

OH and steve novak got a steal which lead to a ****in fastbreak lay-up. the bench went wild, hahaha. i love steve novak. i cant find a video unfortunately though.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
This is a really rough case because I can understand the arguments from both sides...

The NBA is a business, and as commissioner it's Stern's job to grow said business as efficiently as he can. The players are the product, so when people pay tickets to see said product and don't end up getting what they paid for simply because of a coaching decision then that's really bad for the business. If what Pop did tonight turned into a trend among multiple NBA teams then the NBA as a whole would lose tons of fans and profits as a result.

On the other hand, it's Pop's job to do whatever he needs to do to coach his team to a championship and nothing less, and that does include resting his key players during tough road stretches. Plus it's not like he's the one who made the schedule. It isn't his fault the Spurs were playing their 4th game in 5 days against a well rested Heat team. He's just playing with the cards he has been dealt with.

I honestly have no idea who to side with here.

soap

Smash Hero
Pop was sending a message to the league to schedule better

Anyway, it's the ****ing regular season, who cares? Game was still close

This does remind me somewhat of the Revival of Melee fiasco, except San Antonios bench does not sandbag

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
ill side with pop even though I feel the fans who paid for tickets

1. the game was close anyway
2. the scheldule is unfair especially for them ( they old man )

3. stern is a ****ing double standard hypocrite in this case
cause if it was the spurs against the bobcats...
he wouldnt be as mad

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Of course he wouldn't be mad. The NBA doesn't make its money off of Bobcats games. They make money from marquee match ups like the Clippers/Lakers, Knicks/Celtics, etc. Spurs/Heat was supposed to be one of those marquee match ups.

At least the game ended up being close though.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
NBA conspiracy to have Spurs play Heat on a road schedule like that. Pop says F-U to NBA and now the team has to pay up. Hopefully this won't happen next season.

Also, I was actually bored watching the Lakers game. Too much offense. Little defense.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
And on the flip side Pop didn't NEED to rest his entire starting lineup. He could have easily just played each of them or a some of them but with limited limits. It was a clear "**** you" to Stern, and nobody messes with Stern.

Jane

Smash Hero
david stern right now

haha no but seriously, the fine is totally ridiculous. though the one fault i can attribute to pop was the fact that he didn't really inform anyone. he just sort of did it. but 250k? f.uck outta here.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, he didn't inform anyone so he could give the NBA a big FU. Honestly, if we sort of look at the "cause and effect" sort of deal, I blame the NBA schedulers.

Jane

Smash Hero
yeah, ultimately this is not pop's fault, for reasons which TRG already outlined. spurs were put in a horrible position schedule-wise. AND this is the two teams' only regular season meeting. so not only did pop have every right to want to keep his best boys healthy and rested, but the game would have been a distorted representation of what a series between those two teams would actually look like. and not as many people would have noticed had pop not done this.

any other team put into this situation wouldn't have had both the balls or the unique situation of being an elite team with an old core to do what pop did.

also this

/spursfiasco

oh and anyone catch the interview chuck had with pop during the game? it was hilarious even though it was only 2.5 questions long. and when pop walked away he sayed "i love you." haha man, pop is awesome. listening to the way he talks to his team, anyone that gets to put on a spurs jersey is a truly lucky individual to get to play under his wing. just look at the way tiago splitter is playing.

i also have a lot of respect for erik spoelstra. i like the way he composes himself during interviews. like during the game when craig asked him (going into the 4th) if he thinks his team's performance was due to lack of motivation from not getting to play the spurs starters, he responded with "look, we can rationalize any excuse you want. but the fact is we should be playing much better than this."

Top Bottom