• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Lol, beating subpar .500 teams isn't exactly an accomplishment. With that being said, they have yet to play a solid defensive team that will give them fits. I like their new style of play, but we'll see how it benefits them against tougher opponents.

I seem to recall that after their lost to Boston in the opener, they won a lot of their games in blowouts...people were talking about how good they were, then they went on that losing streak, and people started talking about how bad they were. Now they are winning again, and people are talking about how good they are. See the trend?

With that being said, I still think they'll beat LA on christmas...LA just can't play in hyped up regular season games lol.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I've been following this team since day 1 they're made a complete 180 turn from where they were at the beginning of the season. They're now beating teams they got beat by (both Jazz and Hornets are above-average teams that they got sweet revenge on). What you saw earlier when they were 9-8 was their low point. We're just now seeing the team at its full potential.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You say Miami was originally at their low point...do you honestly think the Hornets are playing their best right now? They went from something like 12-1 to 14-10. Utah is acceptable though.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Who cares those are only 2 teams. You also aren't considering the fact that every team the Heat faces is rough considering that everyone else plays the Heat as if it were a Finals game. Just look at the fact that many specific players have record-breaking nights against us. Just look at what Milsap did to us during the first Heat/Jazz game.

But I understand... Maybe if the Heat get to a 15 winning streak (which is HIGHLY likely if they keep their defensive intensity up), you'll start becoming a believer.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I will never be a believer for a team I don't root for. Also, I'm no bandwagoner. Never will be. I also don't root for superstars who have a pre-meditated idea of teaming up together. Call me old school, but I'll never team up with another alpha male.

Also, I could care less about the regular season. Heat can run over all these crappy teams, and STILL lose in the playoffs -cough- Cleveland -cough-

Also, no team can play at their best vs the Heat, because there is no solid coach gameplan going in. That's what the playoffs are for.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Bandwaggoner? Yeah despite the fact that I've been following the Heat since 04 when they got Shaq. IDK what team you like but whoever it is, if they have your attitude, the Heat will knock that cocky attitude right out of them... Just wait and see.

U mad brah?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I never called you a bandwagoner. You said that if they win 15 in a row, I may become a believer. If I do that, then I would be a bandwagoner. I was making that statement about myself.

And LOL at me having a cocky attitude? Why not take a look at LBJ before you say anything. Dude has the cockiest attitude, yet he hasn't done anything. Getting his "Chosen One" tattoo coming into the league. King James? King of what? No rings? Getting swept by the Spurs in the Finals? Deciding to be the second banana?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
You're denying the fact that the Heat are easily one of the top teams in the NBA right now. That's what I meant by a believer.

And James deserves to be cocky after everything he brought to Cleavland. He almost single handedly brought that sorry *** team to Championship status. No matter how a good a player is, it has been proven over and over again that they can't do it alone. Jordan had Pippen, Kobe had Shaq, Kobe now has Gasol, Dwayne Wade also had Shaq, the Celtics have Allen, KG, Shaq, and Paul Pierce... All Hall of Famers. Who did Lebron have? Exactly he had nobody but an average cast of basketball players. How is Cleavland doing without him? :laugh: So now James goes to Miami since he wants to actually be on a championship-calibur team, and everyone gives him criticism for it... Yeah that's fair.

He MAY not get a ring this year with the Heat, but I guarantee you he definitely has rings on the way.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
"In the NBA right now"...you can't say the same later down the line. Boston wasn't even one of the top teams last year until the playoffs started. Everyone was giving passage to a Orlando/Cleveland vs Lakers finals...look what happened?

Also, I don't consider Gasol an alpha male or superstar. Dude is legit, but he needs a lot of things going for him to be good. He can't play center (see how he has fared and you see his stats are abysmal), so he needs Bynum. He needs a superstar on the perimeter, because he is not a clutch player. The Celtics? KG and Allen came over when they were PAST their prime. After they gave everything they had to their respective franchises.

And there is no excuse for LeBron. You DO NOT win 60 games in the regular season only to falter in the playoffs. You DO NOT win 60 games without a respectable cast around you. The Spurs won their titles with a great supporting cast. Just like what LeBron had. No disrespect to Parker (who didn't have a jumpshot at that time) and Ginobli (all-star caliber, but not HoF). Hell, look at the 2004 Pistons. No superstar on their team.

And you know what else bugs me about LeBron? He QUIT. Those last two games vs Boston was the most pathetic thing I've evern seen from him ever. He did not QUIT when he was down 3-0 vs the Spurs in the Finals. He did not QUIT when they were losing to Orlando. He QUIT vs Boston. Watch the tape on those games and you see him standing around doing nothing. Abysmal shot selection, no will to drive, no desire to be a playmaker, and 8 turnovers in that last game. Pathetic. I have no respect for players who simply quit on their team, especially when it's the last game he KNEW he was going to play with the Cavs. He pre-meditated all this crap with Wade and Bosh, which annoys me even more. I don't hate the Heat. In fact, I love Haslem, Spoelstra, Riley, Big Z, and even Mike Miller. However, because you guys have a quitter on your team, I can't help but root against them. In fact, I don't even like Wade anymore for doing this as well. Bosh is just there...I never believed he was a true all star.

This is why I have respect for guys like Kobe, Duncan, MJ, and Barkley. Heck, do you honestly think guys like Durant or Pierce would pack their bags and go play alongside Kobe or something? Heck, look at even teams who were elite for a short while like the Kings. Do you think Chris Webber would mosey over to play alongside Shaq? No, he wanted to beat the Lakers. He wanted to win the franchise that he was with.

I'm sorry, but this is a strong principle of mine. Not just as a basketball fan, but as an overall competitor. I would never suck up to some other alpha players and team up with them. It takes away the overall competitive spirit, and it would leave me slightly empty even if I do win it all. The champagne bath is so much better when you know you're the one who carried your team. So even if LeBron does win rings with Miami, he will not be looked at in the same view as the guys I've mentioned.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Just curious are you a Clevland fan?

And unfortunately this is just a new era of basketball teams are "stacked" everywhere. The Knicks are now possibly going to acquire Carmelo Anthony, as good as they already are, but once again nobody wants to throw a red flag at that. James stuck with the Cavs for 7 years I think enough is enough.

It's easy to say "what if" but how absolutely positive are you that a player like Kobe would stay loyal to the Lakers despite constantly losing? Or any player for that matter?

The bottom line for me is that I disagree with the way LeBron left Cleveland, but I don't disagree with his decision at all to leave. If he never left he might have gone down in NBA history as the best player in history to never win a ring. Who wants that title? Nobody does.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You should use the power of scrolling to see my sig a few posts ago.

And since my post went to the next page, the power of going back a page and then scrolling.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I saw that but I thought maybe you were just a Kobe fan (Since you're from Texas). I edited my last post.

Can't wait to play you guys on Christmas. The Lakers better come out with all guns blazing cause the Heat will most definitely be out to make a statement.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Honestly, I don't think LA will win vs the Heat. Bynum is playing his first game tonight, and looks really rusty and Artest is slumping bad. Just like how they got owned by Cleveland, Lakers just have this thing about being lazy even when it matters most in the regular season. Of course, when the Finals come around and they play, LA will win.

Of course when the Heat win, I'm going to have to tolerate a bunch of "LOL LAKERS SUCK" talk.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I wouldn't sell your team short the Heat still have problems defending the paint. It's going to all come down to how well the Heat defend you guys because Wade and Lebron will inevitably get their 25+ and do whatever's necessary on the offensive side.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Trust me, I've been watching the Lakers for a looooooong time. If there is one thing you learn, it's that LA fails to do well in the regular season, and then they magically become good in the playoffs.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I see either Celtics and Lakers or Celtics and Spurs.

I just can't see Miami beating the Celtics in a 7 game series... Not this early anyways. Too much of a weakness on defense at the PG and Center position.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Wow, this thread got interesting while I was away. XD

LeBron did quit in the playoffs, and that's inexcusable, so I see your point there Bored, but I think you're being a little too harsh on the second banana concept. As I see it, and as far as I knew they saw it, James and Wade were teaming up to be an unstoppable backcourt. They'd be equals, and work as such. In these recent games, that idea is starting to work. lol
Also, I think finishing his 7 year contract was as classy as he could get in that balls awful situation Cleveland was developing. His only mistake was leaving the way he did.

However, TRG is right about the Celtics being a Kryptonite of sorts. Rondo might be the best PG in the game right now, and we already know how PG's can dismantle Miami.

Basically, the Heat are rapidly becoming what most thought they'd be: A superstar team that lights up the stat sheet from different angles... but won't win the East with the current cast.

As for the West, of course my Spurs are winning it all. :p
But real talk: We've only beaten a handful of good teams so far, and our win against the Lakers was without Kobe if I remember right. lol

All our 20-3 record means is that our bench and role players are outstandingly consistent. On the plus side, our defense is starting to return to its old form. Blair plays with the same risk/reward principles as Ginobili does, and we're greatly improved on Team D and rotations.

Only huge concern I still have: We still play Zone against good PG's, and we still switch off our bigs on good shooters. :(

Phoenix took that sloppy defense and gave it to us from behind last playoffs. Saving grace: Rondo can't shoot. :D

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Lakers hasn't played the Spurs yet o_o...I dunno what you're talking about.

Also, LeBron had signed a 3 year contract after his initial one expired, so he could have options afterwards. D-Wade and Bosh did the same thing...ho hum.

I just hate the media circus sucking on the Heat's ****. The moment they lose two straight games, or even lose to Boston or Orlando again, headlines are going to say "Pat Riley needs to coach".

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
It's a work in progress. We've (excuse me saying we it's just a habit I know I'm not part of the team) only truly been tested once so far during this streak, and that was against Utah who is definitely a top 10 team right now. The next was SUPPOSED to be the Hornets but they blow right now, and our next test will be against the Knicks this Friday.

Speaking of the Knicks I am PUMPED for the game tonight when they play Boston... I'm really hoping Stoudemire has a great night against the Celtics. I hate the Celtics with a passion.

Lets see the Knicks beat Boston then the Heat can beat the Knicks on Friday. :laugh:

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Utah was definitely a quality win.

And the Knicks aren't overrated, they're like the Warriors: They let you score so they can have the ball back. Amare sure isn't overrated though, he's a monster.

And Bored: I just realized I was thinking of preseason. XD

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I call Heat beating the Cavs by at least 20 tonight and I also call the Celtics beating the Knicks by... 6.

I want the Knicks to win but I'm a realist, and the Celtis are looking too good right now. :urg:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Utah was definitely a quality win.

And the Knicks aren't overrated, they're like the Warriors: They let you score so they can have the ball back. Amare sure isn't overrated though, he's a monster.

And Bored: I just realized I was thinking of preseason. XD
Amare is a stud on the offensive end, but the guy is a horrible rebounder and defender. See all those years in Phoenix and his inability to do anything vs a big.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I knew the Celtics would barely win but they got lucky.

And wow the Cavs came out to play tonight... Rough game for the Heat but a win is a win. 10 game winning streak baby!!!

tko112

Smash Lord
in a way, i kind of expected the Knicks-Celtics to be determined by the last shot, but i didn't think it would be high scoring

but then again, the Knicks have a high-scoring offense

and i also didn't expect Spurs-Bucks to be determined by the last shot

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
I knew the Celtics would barely win but they got lucky.

And wow the Cavs came out to play tonight... Rough game for the Heat but a win is a win. 10 game winning streak baby!!!
wait the cavs actually showed up lmao!

based on their last few games i thought they would funk up the court but they showed up
ive been studying for finals and the fact that they werent looking that hot turned me off from the game (pause). i know it gonna be a rough year for them but it least they put in a effort this time.

from what i saw of the knicks vs celtics it was a good game

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Yeah it was a combination of the Heat playing terribly and the Cavs playing better than ever which led to a semi-close game.

I feel sorry for the Knicks they had that game in the bag... It's too bad the Heat will have to bring them to a 2 game losing streak. :(

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Didn't watch the Heat game, so I can't comment. I'm sad the Blazers and Bucks lost...LA needs to catch up .-.

Heck, I'm sad the Knicks lost...Boston needs to lose.

LA doing really well now. Funny how a player returning rekindles the team's focus. Of course, I expect that focus to go away sooner then later.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
I was really bummed when I saw that my Bucks were so close to getting another upset tonight, if not for Manu's buzzer-beater (and a non-call on his traveling... but it's the NBA, everybody travels)

Also, I still hate the Heat and all but this is one of the sickest pictures I've seen (even if the Bucks are on the wrong side of it):

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Lmao, Manu's been traveling for years now, that's nothing new. :p

I can't believe we let Milwaukee back into the game, but now I can kinda' see how the Mavs blew that lead. lol
Told you guys Milwaukee was good.

Oh, and did anyone else see KG bow after Paul Pierce hit the game-winner? One of the best taunts of a crowd I've seen. XD

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You know, I seriously thought the refs could have called a technical on Pierce or Robinson for excessive taunting or celebration when Pierce hit that game winner and took a lap around the bench.

Edit: Just watched the highlights to the Spurs game. WTF? How do you NOT call that? I just thought he took three steps or something, but wow. I know refs don't want to call anything at the end of the game, but you gotta draw a line somewhere.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
I was really bummed when I saw that my Bucks were so close to getting another upset tonight, if not for Manu's buzzer-beater (and a non-call on his traveling... but it's the NBA, everybody travels)

Also, I still hate the Heat and all but this is one of the sickest pictures I've seen (even if the Bucks are on the wrong side of it):

OMG LMFAO! funniest thing ive seen all day! its pretty good but why the hell is d wade doing that even if it is a fast break

"oh you mad cause im stylin on you" -first thing i thought of

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
^ It was supposed to be a taunt as soon as Wade gave the bounce pass to Lebron he knew Bron was gonna slam it so he did a little spread arms pose as he ran back on defense. This photo was just taken at the perfect moment.

I love the pic it's like Wade is saying "this is almost too easy."

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Damn, was hoping the Spurs would lose tonight. Melo, JR, and Harrington missed a free throw each in the last few minutes.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The way that game was being played out, everything was a foul. With that being said, I'm glad the refs stayed consistent in this game at least and called the charge. It was really obvious, and rules are rules.

However, I'm still annoyed by Ginobli's push off to travel to GW vs the bucks.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
-Just crushed a very good Knicks team at their home court.
-11 game winning streak (have won by at least 10 points in 10/11 of those wins).
-One of our key players, Mike Miller will play his first game after being injured all season this Monday against the Dallas Mavericks.

Any doubters left?

Top Bottom