• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
As a basketball fan, I've never seen so much disdain for one player in a game. That was a different experience, for sure.

However, who really expected Cleveland to win? They're an awful team whose best player is probably Mo Williams or Varejao of all people. They've got heart, and it's leading to a respectable record... But at this point, all that's doing is taking away their chances at a good draft. :\

tko was right though, watching the 4th quarter of that game was one of the most painful things I've seen on TV. 20,000 fans were collectively swallowing their pride. Hopefully, this is the end of Cleveland/LeBron, and they can move on.

However, seeing LeBron's face on a Lyin' King t-shirt and all the Quitness signs was hilarious. XD

I don't fault LeBron for his choice to leave, but he did it all wrong. If anything, I'm glad that the Heat aren't the juggernaut everyone thought they'd be. They're justifying everything LA/SA/Detroit has done over the past decade or 2. Basketball is the ultimate team sport, where you don't win if you don't have 8 guys to back you up.
i would say that the rest of their team is young as a whole. cleveland definetely has some major kinks to work out. all in all though i was telling my friend right when the first half was over that lebrons gonna start getting off the second half.
miami definetely played like a good team and they eased lebron into the game peferctly so he would feel comfortable.
As a cavs fan i was a dissapointed because they self destructed. As good as miami is and can potientially be there were way too many turnovers, half of them werent even forced. just sloppy passing and a very low amount of rebounds after the first shot. the way to beat miami is to compress the passing lanes so they can pick and roll as much. anthony tried for the double team too often and over rotated.
the fans showed up (albeit there energy shouldnt have been focused on lebron), the team didnt.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
i would say that the rest of their team is young as a whole. cleveland definetely has some major kinks to work out. all in all though i was telling my friend right when the first half was over that lebrons gonna start getting off the second half.
miami definetely played like a good team and they eased lebron into the game peferctly so he would feel comfortable.
As a cavs fan i was a dissapointed because they self destructed. As good as miami is and can potientially be there were way too many turnovers, half of them werent even forced. just sloppy passing and a very low amount of rebounds after the first shot. the way to beat miami is to compress the passing lanes so they can pick and roll as much. anthony tried for the double team too often and over rotated.
the fans showed up (albeit there energy shouldnt have been focused on lebron), the team didnt.
Yeah, to be honest, I think that was the worst part of last night's game. The Cavs didn't show up to play. Which is a shame. I heard that most of the Cavs fans weren't even mad at LeBron afterwards, just at their own team.

I just hope LBJ is the next Karl Malone...0 rings...then joins LA for one last run LOL.
Kobe'll be gone by then. :O

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, to be honest, I think that was the worst part of last night's game. The Cavs didn't show up to play. Which is a shame. I heard that most of the Cavs fans weren't even mad at LeBron afterwards, just at their own team.

Kobe'll be gone by then. :O
Kobe at 41 will be better than LBJ at 35. Don't worry, I'm sure LA will get some super star in some random trade (KD??) and all will be well in LA land.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
You know what, I'm waiting for the day we make a play at KD myself. We've never had a Shooting Big Man, and KD fits our philosophy defensively.

I think Durant's a Thunder for life though. :\

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I like Durant. Granted he's not having the year everyone is expecting him to have, but he's a down to earth guy. I still think he has a lot of holes in his game (offense and defense), but always time to improve.

LAW2222

Smash Journeyman
You know what, I'm waiting for the day we make a play at KD myself. We've never had a Shooting Big Man, and KD fits our philosophy defensively.

I think Durant's a Thunder for life though. :\
thunder makes me rage
that man is a sonic

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
^^
they need to ****ing grow up
instead of burning lebrons jersey they should be grateful for what he brought to cleveland while he was a cav
here in seattle out whole team got stolen, at least they have the privilege of having a team
I agree with you. Cleveland may not be the most exciting city, but seriously, they need to shut up by now and learn some respect. You can see why LeBron left after Thursday night's game.

Everybody talks about how unlucky the Cavs are, but really, they should be grateful for the seven years of success they had with LeBron. I'm from Minnesota, and no one even mentions us - not the 0-4 Vikings Superbowl record, nor the Timberwolves NEVER getting 1st or 2nd draft picks (with a 77.5% chance that they would have won the lottery if it was done all over again).

So a few years of the postseason but no championship? That was pretty bad? I waited through EIGHT YEARS of playoffs with the T'Wolves, plus another few crappy ones after that, and you know what? I still understand to clap for KG when he returns to the Target Center each year. LeBron may be a jerk, but Cleveland is raging out of control.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
However, something everyone needs to bear in mind about the Cleveland debacle:

My favorite analogy I've heard so far was "It would be like my wife divorcing me on live television, and me not knowing until everyone else did."

Cleveland has every right to boo and jeer. But that time's over now. It's time to move on. The only ******* still left is Dan Gilbert in my opinion.

Also, sorry Law, I didn't mean nothin' by it. XD

Makaveli X

Smash Cadet
I agree with you. Cleveland may not be the most exciting city, but seriously, they need to shut up by now and learn some respect. You can see why LeBron left after Thursday night's game.

Everybody talks about how unlucky the Cavs are, but really, they should be grateful for the seven years of success they had with LeBron. I'm from Minnesota, and no one even mentions us - not the 0-4 Vikings Superbowl record, nor the Timberwolves NEVER getting 1st or 2nd draft picks (with a 77.5% chance that they would have won the lottery if it was done all over again).

So a few years of the postseason but no championship? That was pretty bad? I waited through EIGHT YEARS of playoffs with the T'Wolves, plus another few crappy ones after that, and you know what? I still understand to clap for KG when he returns to the Target Center each year. LeBron may be a jerk, but Cleveland is raging out of control.

It has to do with the way he left. I don't think it would've become as ridiculous of a situation if he had left without "The Decision". Would they have been pissed? Maybe.

Also, Garnet's situation was a little different. Lebron was born in Ohio, lived there, so its like he left his own state. There is more of an attachment with him.

With that said, I believe Cleveland has a right to be upset, but should appreciate what he's done for them. Some of the chants during that game were too disrespectful considering the years he's given them. Chanting "Akron hates you" is unnecessary.

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's true. "The Decision" was really stupid and selfish, no matter how much money it raised. A homegrown hero like that should have hosted "The Decision" to announce he was returning to the Cavs, not bolting for Miami.

All I hope for is that Cleveland fans at some point calm their anger. Like you said, they do have a right to be mad. I just think it's sad how hated LeBron is now. I want there to be some sort of happy resolution to this all, eventually. Even if it's 20 years down the road when/if they retire his jersey.

Makaveli X

Smash Cadet
Yeah, that's true. "The Decision" was really stupid and selfish, no matter how much money it raised. A homegrown hero like that should have hosted "The Decision" to announce he was returning to the Cavs, not bolting for Miami.

All I hope for is that Cleveland fans at some point calm their anger. Like you said, they do have a right to be mad. I just think it's sad how hated LeBron is now. I want there to be some sort of happy resolution to this all, eventually. Even if it's 20 years down the road when/if they retire his jersey.
Hopefully these chants will die out within the next couple years. It's not looking too good right now. =/

finally, the Lakers snapped out of their funk last night, even if it was against the Kings
I'm glad they broke the losing streak. I was concerned about Gasol. If he didn't play last night, they would've had some serious problems in the post, which would have effected the entire game.

Hope his hamstring is alright.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's only one game, but Lakers need to keep playing team bball. That's how they are going to win. Kings' frontline is pretty crappy, but next game vs...Wizards should be another easy one minding Arenas and Wall don't go off against our guards -_-.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer

We'll get over it eventually. ....I don't know when that eventually is...but we will.
We're a very die hard city when it comes to sports, so we get a little TOO into it sometimes. I have a feeling he'll kind of fade into the background like Art Modell. Sure, we hate Modell, but we don't really have much to say about the man anymore. I think/hope.
Plus, if one of our sports teams actually starts doing good, we'll forget about him....Thats a MAJOR if...but thatd be nice.

tko112

Smash Lord
so im kind of afraid after the Lakers play the Wizards, they are going to embark on a 7-game road trip

i think they'll be fine, but long road trips can take out even the best of teams

theeboredone

Smash Legend
They went .500 last year on their long *** road trip...so I don't know what to expect. I haven't looked at the schedule, but the Clippers should be no problem unless Gasol's hammy gets worse. And freakin Ratliff or Bynum need to come back.

Good news. Bynum went through 5 v 5 practice, and is targeting his return sometime during the road trip. Let's hope there are no drawbacks.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
In December we've got 2 road games total. That's pretty legit.

Also, Hornets got so much of the business. :D

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Great defense, and it helps when your star player is shooting 55% from the floor...opens up the game a lot.

Lakers barely got through Wizards. Not surprised someone on the Wizards caught fire (Nick Young, 6 3 pointers). Wall is amazing, but wtf was up with him laughing when they were down 16? He would go score, and they'd pan up on him laughing. Scrub. Even Dwight doesn't do that.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Bah, it should not have come down to a game winning lay up. Caracter got hurt, and I hope it's nothing bad, because that would mean Gasol is the last man standing.

Kobe with three straight games of 50% or better shooting. This is what I like. Good shot selection.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I like how Blake Griffin is winning games for them. The team is complete garbage, but they play hard and they get guaranteed points from their star. I still can't believe they beat my Spurs though. :(

I love watching the Clippers play ball right now.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
They have a lot of good pieces (Eric Gordon, Bledsoe, and even Baron whenever he feels like playing), Kaman is hurt too. They just lack experience in finishing games and executing well together. If they can keep this core, they'll make the playoffs in a year or two.

Lakers vs Bulls tonight on ESPN...feeling LA is gonna get their butts kicked. Barely won last time, Gasol was stopped by Noah...looks like Kobe is gonna need another 50% shooting night, and Brown is gonna have to go nuts again.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I don't know about a year or two man. I mean, with all the talent and young pieces they've got, they've only won 5 games.

I don't even see them breaking .500 in a couple years. :\

Honestly, I see Blake Griffin having the same kind of career as KG did. Nothing but a playoff spot that he worked his *** off for. They need something real special if they wanna' make a real run at a championship with this current crew.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
If you watch their games, you can see that they aren't good at working together, executing plays well, and playing team defense. I've only watched three games, but one's against LA and Hornets...a player would drive to the hole, and dump it off to the big when his man came over or get a easy lay up. Zero team defense and chemistry.

I don't think the players individually are horrible at defense, just as a team they are. And they have been in several close games and screwed it up. The really should have lost the one against the Hornets (3/5 missed free throws, two turnovers), but the Hornets themselves just missed shots.

They need a true veteran presence. Sorry, but Baron Davis and Caveman aren't good enough. They need a Sam Cassel kinda guy.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I agree on Baron and Kaman not being good enough, but I don't know if they need a veteran presence really as much as they need a true PG.

They also need a defensive big, which is an underrated style of play nowadays. A Big Man that focuses on defense boosts the team's D on the whole. Their offense starts in the paint, their defense needs to as well.

Those problems can't be fixed in the near future either. :\

Oh, and never say a team should've lost. :p
Shoulda Woulda Coulda means nothing. Scoreboard is all that matters.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Bah, knew Lakers would lose tonight. I didn't expect D-Rose to go hot, but we really need Bynum back. Odom did an okay job on Boozer, but Gasol is way better because of his length. Bynum can push around Noah anytime he wants. Artest is pissing me off. This is like his 10th straight game shooting under 50%...guy needs to get his act together like he did in pre-season.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Meanwhile, my Spurs are 19-3. I can honestly say I don't know how to react as a fan. :O

This start is dreamlike, we better keep it up.

What are your guys' favorite fan moments?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Most recent has to be Game 7 lol...coincidentally, last time Artest decided to show up.

Fisher .4 shot...I remember thinking "It's over...it's over...." not.

Mavs finally getting past Spurs in Game 7 of 2006.

Edit: Barring injury, I'm sure the Spurs are gonna grab the first seed with a race between Dallas and Lakers for second. Utah is there, but I think they are gonna lose some down the road. With that being said, even if SA has HC, I still expect LA to beat them once they are healthy and good to go.

2nd Edit: Nice mix I found while browsing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcDQ88XY1DU

tko112

Smash Lord
finally, the Bucks broke the Mavs' 12-game winning streak

i just wanted to say that

and it helped that the Mavs lost a 20 point lead

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, just another night in the NBA. I take two things from this...

1. How will the Mavs respond after losing? Will they become the Hornets (now 14-10) or Spurs (keep on chuggin)? I am thinking more of the latter. Better coach and better players.

2. It brings LA one game closer...

Edit: Bynum might come back tonight. I'm excited.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
The Heat are looking gooooooooooooooooooooooooood and I'm loving it. Remember a few weeks back when the Heat were barely above .500 and had a 9-8 record? They were the joke of the NBA. Ever since that night, the team had a serious discussion over what exactly was going wrong and how they needed to fix it... Well now they're 18-8, and nobody's laughing anymore. Not only are the Heat on a 9 game winning streak, they've won all 9 of those games BY AT LEAST 10. None of them were even close to a loss. Despite the fact that two key players are currently out for the season, the Heat have seem to have finally "clicked" and now look like the team everyone projected they were going to look like when James made "The Decision." Wade, Bosh, and Lebron finally have their chemistry going now, and they are now averaging a whopping 75 points a game together. Combine that with the fact that the Heat are currently playing the best defense in the league right now, and you now have a very scary Heat team that looks like they are ready to take over.

Only teams I fear right now are the Celtics, Lakers, and Spurs. As for the rest, even though it's early I'm confident that the Heat could beat them in a 7 game series.

Top Bottom