• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
I'm kinda irritated that the Heat didn't show up for that game now. Heat could have been 6-0 and certain Knicks fans wouldn't be proclaiming their team as "the team to beat in the East."

However I do think the Knicks will be a top 4 team in the East this season. This looks like the year where they finally play to their potential, but Amare could possibly mess up team chemistry when he returns so we'll see.
lol @possibly
he will
amare is the ruin
he epitomizes the words overrated and lazy.
all these years and he still is slow as **** to learn ****.
the heat have little to worry about because the knicks will implode as long as they owe that man guaranteed money.
if they assign him to third team off the bench and use him sparingly then they might actually be good this year.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Well your Miami prediction is a pretty safe bet considering they've reached the Finals two years in a row. Your LAC prediction is pretty bold. They're a great team but at the same time I just don't see them being better than OKC, Lakers, and the Spurs. If they hope to reach the Finals this year they'll most likely have to get past at least 2 out of those 3 teams, and that's a hard freaking task for any team.

Jane

Smash Hero
at this point in time, i can definitely see the clips beating the thunder in a series. As far as LAL, thats yet to be determined (variables like phil coming back, nash making a timely recovery + being integrated properly, dwight getting back to at least 90% health) but its certainly a possibility. the spurs however, i cannot see the LAC beating the spurs in a 7 game series.

damn, i love it when the heat get blown out.

ahchoomattchu

Smash Ace
I think think the opposite; the Clippers have a greater chance at taking out the Lakers in a series than besting the Thunder. The Lakers' starting unit is great and all, but that bench (while improved a little) still is their weakpoint. All the top Western Conf. teams have significantly greater depth. If the Clips get Odom in shape and his confidence back by playoffs, I'd say their chances of a WCF appearance would be pretty good.

Oh, and I must say that sbnation's new web layout is terrible. It lags my browser hard and they got rid of those awesome player profiles with the mini scouting reports.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Kobe just threw an alleyoop to MWP...and it worked.

Wut.

Edit: Wow, Heat got trashed. I wonder if they are suffering from season fatigue. Two straight years of being at the Finals. It's not easy going for a third. On top of that, I wonder if they are no longer playing with a chip on their shoulder/motivation.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Tonight wasn't a lack of effort the Heat's game plan was to clog the paint because of the Gasol/Zbo size mismatch (Battier was guarding Zbo for long stretches... yeah). I guess the coaching staff just wasn't expecting one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the league to shoot over 50% from 3... When it rains it pours.

Not surprised in the slightest with the loss though. Heat haven't won in Memphis since 2010. I'm also expecting a loss in Denver soon cause they can't win there either.

But overall these past 2 seasons have taught me to stop taking the regular season so seriously with this team. A lot of times the Heat just lack the motivation/energy to keep up the intensity that they're capable of (the team that we always see in the playoffs). As long as they're a top 2 seed and heading into the playoffs healthy then I'm happy. Although there are times when I wish the Heat would adopt the Jordan's Bulls mentality and just steamroll everyone, cause I get damn tired of people overreacting when they lose. lol

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Ugh, I hate D'Antoni. Not because his offense isn't fun to watch or anything, but the guy doesn't teach defense, and he's never won a title with that system. I understand that the Triangle would have taken a long time to learn, and with Nash being a ball handler, he may have not fit in as well, but...

11 rings vs 0?

Also, while Nash may have not fit into Phil's Triangle, we have to remember that D'Antoni's offense requires a pick and pop athletic center (Stoudamire), and a vast amount of good 3 point shooters. The only two good ones are Kobe and Nash with guys like Blake, Jamison, and Meeks being inconsistent.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
dwight is a great pick and roll player and d'antoni will get more out of nash than jackson could've, this team doesn't need to be a triangle offense, it doesn't have 1 focal point, it has 4

teams have to decide to either stop nash, dwight, kobe, or gasol, letting Nash dish out passes to anyone he wishes is what is better for the team

and also that d'antoni wasn't asking for the world helps as well

i hate the lakers but god damn, will that be one fun offense to watch

edit: Why the **** are knicks tickets so expensive? i wanted to buy tickets for the knicks-lakers game in december (since the gf is a lakers fan) and the cheapest ones are $174 dollars...the **** NY? can't one team be nice to us?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
dwight is a great pick and roll player and d'antoni will get more out of nash than jackson could've, this team doesn't need to be a triangle offense, it doesn't have 1 focal point, it has 4
Difference between Dwight and Amare is that Amare could shoot from the perimeter, while Dwight is a post player. Pick and roll is more limited that way.

Also, the Triangle is designed to exploit match up weaknesses, it just so happens that the point guard doesn't do much ball handling. It's more of a pass first type of offense. But yes, you are right when you say...
teams have to decide to either stop nash, dwight, kobe, or gasol, letting Nash dish out passes to anyone he wishes is what is better for the team
edit: Why the **** are knicks tickets so expensive? i wanted to buy tickets for the knicks-lakers game in december (since the gf is a lakers fan) and the cheapest ones are $174 dollars...the **** NY? can't one team be nice to us?
Maybe cause itls's LA vs NY? Try for NY vs Bobcats lol

mood4food77

Smash Hero
LA vs NY in LA are $25 for low level seats compared to $174 in NY

NY vs Bobcats are $60 in NY, pretty much free in Charlotte

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
have to remember that mike dantonis system doesnt want people posting up.
so that defeats the strength of the lakers interior game and a huge reason why on paper, they would be able to contend with the heat.

dantoni is a enabler and this will serve to inhibit the progress of dwight howard.

i dont wanna hear about how this helps nash having a old friend.
this isnt about helping nash this is about helping the lakers as a whole.
i think the only one that would have had complications learning the triangle is dwight howard.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
LeBron James is godly. 32 points in the 2nd half to single-handedly will the Heat past the Rockets after scoring just 6 in the first half. It was Game 6 of the Celtics series all over again.

It's like LeBron has some sort of "God mode" button that he carries around with him now. Whenever the team needs him the most he just hits the button and off he goes... Just incredible.

Advanced stats: "LeBron James is averaging 44.8 points per 48 on 81% TS in 15 minutes of clutch time this season."

And here's Lin choking vs. the Heat vol. 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6zr8nqrxIZ8

Jane

Smash Hero
how about that utah toronto triple OT thriller. utah always has the most exciting, nail biting games i swear.

and yay, suns beat denver tonight. i had to stop watching at the half but all i can say is that beasley was getting off. as was javale. i ****ing love javale. lol

oh and i guess dragic did cute things too. i know he had a nice single handed 10-0 spark early to bring the suns back.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Eventually I think everyone will finally come to the realization that Lin is just an average/slightly above average NBA point guard that somehow pulled off a magical 2 week run and nothing more. Kinda sad but it is what it is. I knew there was just no way he was as good as advertised during "Linsanity."

BEHR

Smash Hero
Yea that heat vs rockets game was tight.

When Lin ad the shot I was like :o wow

he was surprised he got the open look loool that play was for Parsons I think.

but good game over all Houston has a long way to go.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Question of the month: why the hell is Dwight wearing a headband?

I'm usually not one to comment on how NBA players look or what they wear but... My GOD that looks awful.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
GG Spurs. No Ginobili, no Nash, no Blake. Watching Darius Morris start at PG was a pain.

I feel like the team is getting better and better. Surprised they kept it that close, even though they were at home. It was their game to lose, and they lost it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
NBA TV was doing a segment on Duncan "then and now". I know he can still put it up, but watching some of his older highlights, dude would just tank through doubles or triples like it was nothing despite being such a skinny guy. Now though, he's so much more patient and just takes what the D gives him.

Top Bottom