• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

CableCho57

Smash Lord
brownsheep: by IV, do you mean Isla Vista? (I doubt you do)

Bored it's because we're all hella far from each other. I'm like 2 hours north from where brownsheep/shad are and achoo is like another 1.5 hours south from where they are. A melee tourney (like a large one) gives us reason to be in the same area. I def would not drive 2 hours to play ball when I can walk 10 minutes from my home lol

now playing melee with some of the worlds best in socal? I'd drive two hours for that haha

edit: adam I would also really be down for some kind of shootout MM. Like Sidney and Billy did in the beginning of White Men Can't Jump

D

Deleted member

of course i mean Isla Vista how many other IV's are there in goleta? i had a place on sabado for a year. good times.

edit: adam I would also really be down for some kind of shootout MM. Like Sidney and Billy did in the beginning of White Men Can't Jump
lmao loser has to dress like wesley snipes at the next big tourney

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
lemme go back and find my post about "greatness"...here it is, first with a short response to adam about the wins produce metric. before there was a post i think people were debating about the greatness of this new generation of players, namely lebron vs kobe and jordan. new edits/annotations are in brackets.

while i can see the comparison the fact is is that lebron is a complete outlier
he can guard every position (although kevin garnett is saying a little bit different this series lol)
he may do a good job a carrying his team but as of right now the rest of his team cant support the development of your thesis.
lebron makes his teammates better on presence alone but as a whole their execution down the stretch is horrible they get it done playing hero ball and i believe you said you wanted ball to go back to unselfish way.
the superstar rivalry i think its really good and i cant argue it but i think its weak outside of that.
players need to see a team i think development would be better if you could see someone like the celtics with a coach that gets production/hustle out of all his players even dooley lmfao.
its not really magic vs bird part 2.
its a guy that has the propensity to take over as the primary outlet for scoring/offense and is elusive/efficient on both ends of the floor (durant). vs a guy that has alot of athleticism/skill but plays so many roles he cant define himself in the closing minutes, with his team unable to get him acquainted (lebron).

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
god i want to see Lebron vs Durant SO BAD

MAGIC vs BIRD pt 2 NAO

yknow at first vipergold was really annoying, but im really starting to love the unadulterated enthusiasm.

youre still crazy for calling aaron rodgers a douche though. he's like the least douchey superstar ever. brett favre is a douche. and im a die hard packer fan.

@bored the stats i was talking about was more about harden's 35% not bynum and pau's stats that was my bad
you're blinded by the doucheyness, Who the hell takes a WWE title and rubs it in the face of the opponent after "winning" a fluke championship like he did, what a complete DOUCHEBAG.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
shad werent you the same person who so strongly believed Magic would beat the Lakers in 2009? That laker hate man. Unless you were really serious because Orlando had no chance that season lol
i was just laker hating back then

Forget that falco vs. fox MM, lets play ball 1v1 MM =P

But really, brownsheep, achoomatchu, and adam, if we're ever at the same socal tourney we should play ball or something (assuming you guys play). How sick would that be
im down

ha
cable you are you in IV? im only like 25-30 mins away from adam. oh dude adam we should hang out for the finals. achoo where you at?
as long as we don't go to a bar

edit: adam I would also really be down for some kind of shootout MM.
im actually terrible at shooting and pretty good at everything else. too bad shooting is the most important thing in the game by a mile. one of the reasons i think rondo is mad overrated btw

im a spurs fan and i thought the thunder got a lot of calls...

but i don't think that necessarily means it is rigged/the calls were terrible.

spurs didn't play well anyway so who cares.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
i'm not angry in the slightest. in fact i've been preparing to stop watching the NBA for the last year. i stopped writing about it, i stopped ordering league pass, i stopped playing in fantasy leagues. in the summer i'll let my insider expire. hollinger is one of the primary reasons i still follow the league.

the continued prevalence of flopping is just strong incentive. just wait til they introduce ads on the uniform. i'll definitely be gone by the time that happens.

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
i'm not angry in the slightest. in fact i've been preparing to stop watching the NBA for the last year. i stopped writing about it, i stopped ordering league pass, i stopped playing in fantasy leagues. the continued prevalence of flopping is just strong incentive. just wait til they introduce ads on the uniform. i'll definitely be gone by the time that happens.
and that's a reason to hate it? hey guys in NFL and MLB do that **** ALL the time. Runners try to knock the Catcher out while taking the ball of their glove, Defensive linesmen try to get a holding call when theres clearly no holding. its all relative and its nothing to stop watching a sport.

Jane

Smash Hero
ads on the uniform a la international soccer would definitely be gay, because i hate most forms of advertisement for no logical reason other than **** advertisements/advertisers. but even if the NBA started doing that, i would consider that a very minor and insignificant change. the whole nba world would definitely blow up about it though, and it would be hilarious at first, and then really annoying/stupid.

ahchoomattchu

Smash Ace
In reply to the SoCal Smashers here: I'm graduating from UCI next week and I'm going back to San Diego after, but I'm probably going to make trips to Irvine a lot still. Made a lot of good friends here. Definitely down to play ball whenever. I'm like Thabo Sefolosha on the court. Defense and 3's all day.

lol @ shots fired from Bored. It's more like this for me: http://youtu.be/EeT7XO5ERQI

My school is full of Asians.
Myself included lol

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
and that's a reason to hate it? hey guys in NFL and MLB do that **** ALL the time. Runners try to knock the Catcher out while taking the ball of their glove, Defensive linesmen try to get a holding call when theres clearly no holding. its all relative and its nothing to stop watching a sport.
stop projecting, dude; i didn't say anything about hate. my reasons are not your reasons. they do not have to be. people are allowed to have different opinions. you don't need to try to change mine and i'm not trying to change yours. fall back.

and fwiw i don't watch nfl/mlb/any other sport.

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
stop projecting, dude; i didn't say anything about hate. my reasons are not your reasons. they do not have to be. people are allowed to have different opinions. you don't need to try to change mine and i'm not trying to change yours. fall back.

and fwiw i don't watch nfl/mlb/any other sport.
then why are you complaining about it? and you don't watch the NFL? you are seriously not even an American.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
yeah, something's wrong with him

it's weird/kind of makes me smile that some people can't read something without charging their own emotional interpretations into it

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I do hope there are heavy fines for flopping. Been advocating fines, and eventually suspensions on repeat offenders.

Kinda said that a lot of the young stars are flopping these days. LeBron, Wade, Harden, Griffin, CP3 come to mind. At least KD is cool about it.

D

Deleted member

seriously right? viper makes me laugh. keep it up bro.

but...rubs it in the face of his opponent? are you talking about the Discount Double Check? i think that ****s hilarious. best quarterback in the league grew up watching the WWF. i find that awesome. seriously i think this guy gets a pass: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14567073/twosecond-video-clip-doesnt-at-all-capture-rodgers

im not a big fan of flopping, but theres no way to enforce it. besides i see it as making up for all the fake "EH!!"s you hear from the shooters

and that ginobli screen was definitely a screen (not trying to get out of the way silly writer) and he didnt get there soon enough. it was the right call even though harden was definitely selling it.

hey ahchoo you wanna play some melee/shoot around before goin back to SD?

@masmasher@

i disagree that the celtics or the spurs could usher in a change in the game. this league is too star driven now, and players learn by watching their favorite stars. the celtics' play will be seen as the unfortunate result of aging. for it to happen, its going to have to be team play led by young transcendent talents like lebron and durant to act as the faces of that unselfish brand.

its a guy that has the propensity to take over as the primary outlet for scoring/offense and is elusive/efficient on both ends of the floor (durant). vs a guy that has alot of athleticism/skill but plays so many roles he cant define himself in the closing minutes, with his team unable to get him acquainted (lebron)
obviously its not exactly bird and magic, but their skill sets are pretty damn close. but elusive efficient dead-eye shooter sounds a lot like bird (though bird was a better passer and durant a better handler), lebron as the great point forward with the capability to score efficiently, but seems to prefer to distribute first sounds a lot like magic.

lebron not being able to define himself will go away when a title happens. i really think theyre one solid offensive minded coach away.

lebrontalk
i get the feeling the he goes out of his way to brand himself as the unselfish superstar late in the game, like MJ to kerr. i think he watched kobe shoot his team out of games through triple teams and is trying his hardest to NOT do that. his interviews often showed him saying something like "i never wanna force anything."

also, i think rather than rest on the bench, i think he rests on the court by hanging out in the corner, ready for a 3 pointer if they need it. i cant think of another player that plays D as hard as he does from the 2 to the 4 AND plays the point, AND plays over 40 minutes a game. a strong 6'8" frame takes a lot of impact. everyone needs rest, i think his "shrinking time" is him needing a minute to breathe.

now that bosh is back i hope spoel can manage the rotations so that when it comes down to break time, lebron can get some real rest on the bench with bosh and wade on the floor at the same time instead of standing

go heat gogogo

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
seriously right? viper makes me laugh. keep it up bro.

but...rubs it in the face of his opponent? are you talking about the Discount Double Check? i think that ****s hilarious. best quarterback in the league grew up watching the WWF. i find that awesome. seriously i think this guy gets a pass: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14567073/twosecond-video-clip-doesnt-at-all-capture-rodgers

im not a big fan of flopping, but theres no way to enforce it. besides i see it as making up for all the fake "EH!!"s you hear from the shooters

and that ginobli screen was definitely a screen (not trying to get out of the way silly writer) and he didnt get there soon enough. it was the right call even though harden was definitely selling it.

hey ahchoo you wanna play some melee/shoot around before goin back to SD?

@masmasher@

i disagree that the celtics or the spurs could usher in a change in the game. this league is too star driven now, and players learn by watching their favorite stars. the celtics' play will be seen as the unfortunate result of aging. for it to happen, its going to have to be team play led by young transcendent talents like lebron and durant to act as the faces of that unselfish brand.

obviously its not exactly bird and magic, but their skill sets are pretty damn close. but elusive efficient dead-eye shooter sounds a lot like bird (though bird was a better passer and durant a better handler), lebron as the great point forward with the capability to score efficiently, but seems to prefer to distribute first sounds a lot like magic.

lebron not being able to define himself will go away when a title happens. i really think theyre one solid offensive minded coach away.

lebrontalk
i get the feeling the he goes out of his way to brand himself as the unselfish superstar late in the game, like MJ to kerr. i think he watched kobe shoot his team out of games through triple teams and is trying his hardest to NOT do that. his interviews often showed him saying something like "i never wanna force anything."

also, i think rather than rest on the bench, i think he rests on the court by hanging out in the corner, ready for a 3 pointer if they need it. i cant think of another player that plays D as hard as he does from the 2 to the 4 AND plays the point, AND plays over 40 minutes a game. a strong 6'8" frame takes a lot of impact. everyone needs rest, i think his "shrinking time" is him needing a minute to breathe.

now that bosh is back i hope spoel can manage the rotations so that when it comes down to break time, lebron can get some real rest on the bench with bosh and wade on the floor at the same time instead of standing

go heat gogogo
a typical sellout, you are seriously a bandwagoner, How sad. You never root for the team that works for the championship, instead you root for the team that acts like "HEY GIVE us THE TITLE WE ARE ALL GOOD". oh I'm sorry did Tom Brady show a WWE*title during the trophy presentation, (can't call it WWF anymore), when he won his 3 legit titles? Did he rub it inthe face of the losing team? Hell no, Peyton and Eli Manning didn't. yet this douchebag does.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
@ brownsheep

i think the player and talent should look to a team that has toughness ignoring the obvious of the the celtics age they have truly banded together.
players should learn how to develop their games to help build around themselves like that and anyone watching kevin garnett should not be looking at his age .
he is getting it done so efficiently
paul pierce draining the 3 shows heart and pure guts
rondo (who is not old by the way) hustling kicking the ball back out to pietrus and the high end moment to make a 3 pointer.
those are things that player should go by.
i think that if you wanted to see durant and lebron one on one they could play in the summer league.
boston is a more complete team.

i also think the heat changed the format of a team in a way thats not nessacarily good seeing as now almost every team needs a big three in terms of superstars.
i dont see that teaching unselfish ball rather i see that as playing hero ball and having isolation that are a detriment to the development of your teammates outside of your superstars.
but thats probably bad coaching that adds that.

developing players need to trust their games and look toward seeing the team they want to be in and how they can facilitate that towards their legend and help their team as a whole
transcend the team with you talent then make yourself

lebron does not help you lessen the face of this being a star driven league
he enhances it. as for shrinking from the moment standing in the corner and taking yourself out the game is weak no matter how you wanna call it strong person but a weak move and while i can excuse some of it some of it is weak if you just become statue like he needs to learn tempo and reading the game more properly. especially at the end where everyone has fatigue.

durant is of his own and i agree with boardones statement that they were draft together and developed in the right melting pot. they did it the original way.

i want the best teams with good players to face off not having a one on one
that in of itself doesnt support unselfish ball

boston hopefully will close this out and get to the finals
because they want it so much more

heat could prove me wrong but i think boston is more passionate and has a pure resolve to show up.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Video review after games. The NBA discipline commitee can look at it and deem what is a flop and what it isn't. If it is, fine them. If they keep doing it, suspend them. Maybe don't fine them on the more questionable ones, but when you see Harden falling down against Ginobili. Fine his ***.

People always say how if the ref doesn't blow a whistle on a flop, the offense scores. Well the sad thing is, the ref blows the whistle about 80% of the time.

Also, your comments about LeBron resting himself on the 3 point line? That "moron" Stephen A said something very similar to that in today's show. Mainly how KD paces himself so he can turn it on late in the game. However, LBJ is playing D + O + everything for 45 minutes, that he gasses out.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Biggest statement game of the Big 3 era. This game with either make or break this team.

EDIT: Wow Bosh still isn't starting huh? ****

theeboredone

Smash Legend
That was a weird T to call. Honestly didn't think Chalmers did anything for once in his life lol. Too bad he has a bad rep with the refs at this point.

Edit: So far so good for the Heat. Bosh lookin good.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
LeBron is on his way to having a historic shooting night...

But where in the **** is Wade?? If Wade was on as well this would be a blowout.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
^ You were expecting Wade to be on in the first half? Good joke.

He'll be on in the second half, but I'm curious to see what Boston does with LeBron. He hasn't shot a jump shot in a while.

I like LeBron's attitude right now. He just looks...serious/depressed.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, I had Heat winning Game 6...though I said Wade would be great as well lol. I was off on that part.

I blame this loss on two people...

1. Doc Rivers. Dude, LeBron is unstoppable tonight. Make someone else win it for you. Double him.
2. Pierce. I know he hit that clutch shot, but this guy has been TERRIBLE in this series. It's not like all his shots are heavily contested either. He was worse tonight.

Looks like people are gonna get their OKC vs Heat.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
not gonna lie, i totally expected this demolition

wade is gonna eat okc alive

benching joel anthony is a +++ move, 'bout time spoelstra's done it

lbj is unbelievable for being able to play PF on kevin garnett, still one of the top 15 players in the NBA. this guy is just as good as jordan, rangz or no rangz

theeboredone

Smash Legend
LeBron definitely had a historic night, and the team really needed it.

I anticipate Heat to now be rejuvenated (they are the young team). They will come out firing and playing with tenacity in Game 7. I'm curious to see how the old Boston team responds. Pierce is due for a good game. I'm sorry, but if this is supposed to arguably be Boston's second all time best player...well he ain't really worth much for such a historic franchise.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I am freaking ECSTATIC right now! The Heat (specifically LeBron) overcame adversity once again.

This team has a lot more heart than I thought they did. Game 7 can't come soon enough.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Btw TRG and any LeBron lovers...this is what I've always wanted to see from LeBron. I'm not sure if it's the "real" him or not. But that look in his eyes the entire game. THAT'S WHAT I WANT.

Though he needs to work on it. Not as bad as Kobe's gnawing face, but LeBron sort of looked like he was depressed. I think he was trying to go for the Terminator no emotion.

Edit: Was also digging LBJ's post game conference.

Top Bottom