• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Not saying college ball is bad, just not for me. It definitely beats the NBA in environment, but how many college players can make a turn around fade away shot, or off the cross over 3 pointer consistently? NBA is the creme of the crop in terms of talent, and that's why I prefer it over college. Same with NFL.

Jane

Smash Hero
i agree with your statement. definitely more skill in the nba. i mean damn, thats these guys's full time job is to play basketball.

college is more like "heres these young dudes that have lives outside of basketball but are the best of the best (excluding pro ball of course)."

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
I never could get into college ball personally in the same way. I mean it's fun to watch a game if you're actually there, but I just couldn't get into the hype and follow a team. It's really too bad that the NBA isn't happening this year as I had developed a growing interest in the games the past couple of years.

Hopefully they will figure something out at some point...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
i agree with your statement. definitely more skill in the nba. i mean damn, thats these guys's full time job is to play basketball.

college is more like "heres these young dudes that have lives outside of basketball but are the best of the best (excluding pro ball of course)."
NBA players spend time improving in the off season. You didn't see Dwight Howard show that 10 foot jumper off the glass at any point during the season. It came after a summer's work. What the hell is a college player doing? Probably hitting up some clubs.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I never could get into college ball personally in the same way. I mean it's fun to watch a game if you're actually there, but I just couldn't get into the hype and follow a team. It's really too bad that the NBA isn't happening this year as I had developed a growing interest in the games the past couple of years.

Hopefully they will figure something out at some point...
I feel your pain man my interest in basketball drastically peaked last year as well so imo this lockout couldn't have come at a worse time.

:phone:

GOTM

Smash Champion
boredone, you should come here and help me win this argument that the NBA is more fun to watch than college ball, lol

im gettin teamed up on

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I'm trying so hard to not be optimistic right now.

My hopes have been crushed so many times before.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
Eh college ball is alright and i'll watch if there a watch party for it
but NBA ball is so much better in terms of the transitions and smoothness of fundamentals on the court.
college ball has too many small mistakes and nicks that just bother me and if your not one of the best you rarely see any good highlights

last year was definetely one of the more hype years in basketball and i am really aching for NBA to come back.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
boredone, you should come here and help me win this argument that the NBA is more fun to watch than college ball, lol

im gettin teamed up on
I'll show up if it's worth it lol.

And there was some good news from yesterday's meeting. Not everyday you see Billy Hunter and Stern pointing fingers at each other and doing bro fists.

GOTM

Smash Champion
Just skimmed through an article that said today might be some good news. I'm pumped. I hope we can have ball within the next few weeks.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Something to laugh at...

"I can't wait to see what the Memphis Grizzlies can do with a healthy Rudy Gay, how good the Blazers will be with a healthy roster (never mind, that will never happen),"

Jane

Smash Hero
he deserves recognition for being the greatest troll the nba ever saw. hahaha, its great how the whole time hes just having a blast.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Well, if you like all sports, they're all good in their own ways. Each one having a different director makes for a fresh experience each time.

Some that I particularly loved were the two you saw and:
The U - about the college football dominance
Once Brothers - Great one about Vlade Divac and Petrovic's childhoods, and how they fell apart in life
One Night In Vegas - Artistic flair is used to tell the story of Tupac/Mike Tyson's relationship and the events leading to his death.
The Best That Never Was - Sad, yet interesting story about Marcus Dupree's fall from college renown
Fernando Nation - Fun story about Mexican culture's impact on baseball, happy little movie
Straight Outta L.A. - Directed by Ice Cube about the cross-cultural impact of the Bad Boy Raiders and West Coast Rap's development

Those are my personal favorites though.

The Band Who Wouldn't Die, Without Bias, Guru of Go, and Jordan Rides The Bus were all interesting, but boring on the whole, imo.

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
I wonder who will win the MVP this season? (If we have a season.... sob)

Kobe - given his age and Mike Brown's "inside out" philosophy (from what I've heard), probably unlikely.
KD - very possible, but only if he makes a marked improvement on defense and bulks up somewhat.
LeBron - I wouldn't put it past LeBron, but he would have to dominate the Heat like he did with the Cavs.
Rose - not likely. We all know he got it last season because of the 'storyline,' anyway.
D12 - he has a good shot, but only if the Magic do well.
D.Wade - probably not; best chance was the '08-'09 season, IMO.
Darko Milicic - an absolute lock for MVP.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Don't forget about Melo or Amare. If the Knicks end up as a top seed, credit might be given there as well.

And we all know there's a reason why Blake Griffin was ranked the 10th best player in the league :troll:

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
KD doesn't need outstanding defensive numbers to win MVP, but he would need a noticeable defensive impact to win a championship.

Amare can't win MVP unless he "carries" Melo or outproduces Howard by 10 points/5 boards. lol

theeboredone

Smash Legend
They put up a good fight, but at this point...owners have all the power...even though the players agreed to a lot of their system issues. Owners being total ****s. Hell, there are reports coming out that about 11 owners are HOPING players don't take the 50/50 deal.

Players can try to fight by going through a decertification process, but if that fails...well owners are gonna be pissed off even more and we'll know what that will entail.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
My gut tells me we'll get a deal "fleshed out" a week from now. I expect a deal to be reached and the lockout lifted by mid-December with games starting in January.

Optimistic, but I believe it. If no deal is reached by January, kiss the season goodbye. :(

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
My gut tells me we'll get a deal "fleshed out" a week from now. I expect a deal to be reached and the lockout lifted by mid-December with games starting in January.
I really hope so. I'm tired of the lockout. If nothing is figured out by January, I would not expect there to be anything this year either.

We will just have to wait it out and hope something good happens.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
There are some interesting debates going on about player comparisons and I was curious about all of your opinions

If you guys could choose between building a team around Amare or Bosh, which would you take and why? So far most have said Bosh which surprises me considering the huge amount of flak he got last season for being too soft.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Amare. Both suck on defense and Bosh might be a bit better rebounding...but I'd take offense around the rim vs perimeter shooting anyday. Unless your name is Dirk Nowitzki.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Amare twice over. Bosh is just a good player. He doesn't change games anymore than a bench player can. (Not that he's not better than a bench player, I'm just referencing his impact on court.)

Amare is pretty much a guaranteed 20 points and 8 FT's. On top of that, he's one of the most athletic players on the court at any given time. If Bosh was 4 inches shorter, he'd be an above average talent at best. :\

Although to be fair, I'm NOT a Bosh fan, and think he's overrated as all hell. lol

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well it's official guys. The union has disbanded and it's going to the courts. I feel like the Union should have done this a long time ago, but given they are doing it now...I don't see a season happening.

That makes Kobe one year older, and still some points away from climbing his way up the scoring leader chart.

This might also mean veterans like J-Kidd might consider retirement.

Like the Lakers, Spurs and Celtics will now be a year older.

Miami goes another year without a possible championship. Wade is turning 30 next year, and will be going on 31 if we miss this season. More pressure on LBJ.

Dirk is still partying though.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Since the union has disbanded, what exactly does that entail? And, why can't they just come to a more simple agreement and get things going? I don't fully understand all the steps to this process...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Breaking of the union happened because of this, and only this.

From following the progress of the lockout, the Union gave more and more concessions to the Owners. The BRI was significantly reduced as well, and what the players sought in return was tweaks to the NBA salary cap system. However, the owners wanted more than just the BRI. They wanted their own standards on the salary cap, which pretty much meant that, there was little wiggle room for the players.

So, because the players see the owners showing no good faith in their negotiations, they have disbanded their union, and are planning to have the law handle it. Basically a suit that will hope, the result will be in their favor of the owners being unfair, giving the players more room to operate.

However, going into this lawsuit means that a lot of time is going to be spent in the court room. As you know, cases aren't done within a week or two. It's gonna take a while, and by the time it's resolved, then the season will pretty much be over. The drop dead date for the 1998 lockout was January 6 I believe. So there's a date to circle on your calendar.

Also, if the players lose in court, then the owners (who are obviously "pissed") will be able to drive a harder bargain, meaning the players may end up taking a worse deal than they were offered now.

I should also note that some owners are against the tweaks to the system. Mainly the richer ones like Lakers, Mavericks, New York, Miami. The smaller markets are trying to install a competitive balance so to speak.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I don't see the players losing this case, but it still doesn't make things good.

Long story short: Owners refuse to negotiate. Players refuse to accept such an awful deal(compared to the last one). Billy Hunter got involved too late, and now we see the Union disband months after they should have. Looks like the season's gone. :\

theeboredone

Smash Legend
People are calling for both Stern and Hunter's heads. Both need to resign after this season. Second time Stern has let the NBA go this far into a lockout.

Hunter should have taken it to the courts in the beginning if the opposing sides were that far apart.

Top Bottom