• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
They're willing to miss a season because people are trying to take money from them. The owners have all the power in this situation because eventually the players will have to play for whatever money's available.

And don't misconstrue the players missing a season as a slight on fans, they're doing it for their own well-being, not to spite us. It's a ****ty situation for everyone involved, is all I'm saying.

LeBron asking about NFL Free Agency, John Clayton making a good joke about avoiding a "Dream Team" like the Eagles. XD

LeBron as a receiver again sounds hype.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Well like I said earlier I don't know who's right and who's wrong in this whole thing but as of last night the NBA is on the road to missing an entire season so I'm in no way shape or form happy about it.

/salt

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I bet he could honestly. He's too strong for it to matter. Dude is unstoppably strong on the court.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well there's a difference in mentality between basketball and football no offense. Depending on the position he'd play (offense or defense), he'd either have to be able to dish it out, or be able to take it.

And honestly, there's a bit of a difference between a hard foul and Brian Urlacher taking you to the ground.

And just cause he's strong, does not equate to mentality of taking hits lol. Someone can be super strong and be injury prone (Andre Johnson) or even mentally weak once they get hit in the jaw. Case and point Frank Gore pointing out how the Eagles D quit in the fourth after getting hit so much.

Smash Master
I don't think you should call out Lebron and Wade as your example of greedy players. They both took a paycut so Haslem could stay with the team. Fact Lebron and Wade each made $10,000,000 less than Kobe last season.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
^^^^^ Not getting into this argument, that's just a flame war waiting to erupt. lol

And Bored, LeBron played WR in high school, pretty well too. Obviously there's a difference between NFL hits and High School, but he's experienced it before is all I'm saying.

As for the mentality thing, LeBron's the kind of player that gets hammered on his way to the basket and is never really hurt or complains(outside of your typical "I DIDN'T FOUL" routine). He's built like a super-receiver, my only question is if he can make quick cuts. I'm more than confident he could play well enough in the NFL.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, I know he played WR in HS, but I just disregarded it because of the level of play and taking hits. There's still a bunch of scrawny guys in HS vs NFL where everyone is a man. This is like saying I could take a hit in College, because I get pads and I've taken hits while playing playground football with guys two times my weight.

Assuming he did play TE, I don't think he'd make a good blocking one simply because he's too tall and DE or LBs would just run around him lol.

As a receiver, he could definitely be a jump ball threat, but I'd still be curious if he will take a hit. Like I said, difference in mental aspect of taking a hit in the NBA and NFL. Especially when you have a body like that. In the NFL, you'd just look like any other player and in the NBA, people just bounce off of him.

And if there's one thing I saw last year on LeBron vs his other years, I think he has gotten a step slower. Not sure if it's cause he has to share the lane with Wade, he's relying on his J too much, or he put on some extra lbs...I feel like he had more trouble getting to the rim this past year vs any other.

GOTM

Smash Champion
Dude is 6'8, 250 lbs. he can definitely take a hit, but he's not used to taking hits for 3 hours. When you play football for a long amount of time your body begins to react a certain way to getting hit, you know which muscles to contract, and you develop a muscle memory that lets you take the fall a little easier. Same reason QB's (or anyone for that reason), tend to get hurt a little more often when they take a hit from the blind side and they don't see it coming.

That being said, he's played before, and could develop this mindset again, but he hasn't played in a while, and never has played at a college level or above. All in all, if Lebron played in the NFL, he'd get destroyed. He'd have some highlights I'm sure, dude's a freak of an athlete, but he'd be put down pretty quick, and it would in turn affect his NBA career, so I doubt he'd want that.

Would be entertaining as hell to watch though. I can't see him at any other position than a TE. Most comparable player would probably be Tony Gonzalez.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
^^^^^ Not getting into this argument, that's just a flame war waiting to erupt. lol
I mean he technically just complimented my favorite players so why argue against that? Sounds counterproductive.

I've cooled off a bit so looking back I guess stating that the players didn't care about the fans was a little over the top.

But I still think they're all greedy mofos.

And I'm still mad.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
smh none of this "real talk" when The Lakers did it in 04, or the Celtics in 08.
Yeah. I almost forgot about when the Lakers got Karl Malone at the age of 38 and Payton at the age of 36. Those guys were in their prime and totally dominating the game of basketball. Celtics getting KG and Ray past their 30s was a steal as well. Don't know what the league was thinking. I mean, it was pretty obvious this stuff was premeditated along with the dream to play in the big markets.

Anyone notice this is the second lockout under Stern to happen? Commissioner not doing his job? Why hasn't he been fired yet?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I really like the part where Reggie Miller says that the League took a couple steps forward with last season are now taking three steps back. It sounds familiar...

The NBA was heading in an amazing direction after last season and now it seems as if everyone is willing to give all of that up thanks to a bunch of childish, greedy ***, big headed mofos arguing over more money than the average person could only dream of making in 5-15 years! They took 3 steps forward and are now taking 5 steps back!!

NTA

Smash Lord
Lol Trey Tompkins is all the way at 451.
Next Game:
Warriors at Clippers
Fri 10/21 10:30 PM ET

I lol'd at the date. Not gonna happen. That could've been his time to shine. :(

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Apparently, Mr. Jerry West suffered from depression and speaks about it in his book. I might check it out. Reading this definitely bummed me out.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...-famer-jerry-west-reveals-lifelong-depression
Wow THE Jerry West suffered from lifelong depression? Talk about keeping skeletons in the closet I guess situations like these are why we can never truly judge somebody until we actually know what kind of life they're living.

Very insightful...

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
LMAO wtf @ KG. If Chris Bosh did something like this he would never hear the end of the raptor jokes.

Anyways apparently negotiations are being made now as we speak. Shortened season on the way?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well they FINALLY decided to involve a mediator. While mediators don't propose new plans, they pretty much play a "neutral" standpoint on what's fair and unfair. Maybe it will help.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'll sum this up quickly...

Dirk: Hey! Can I toss first pitch for Game 3 of MLB World Series?
Bud Selig: Lolwut. Yeah right.
Fans: WTF? Selig, we gonna kill you.
Selig: d00d! I'm j/k. Dirk, wanna toss the first pitch for Game 3?
Dirk: Lolwut. I'm a nice guy, so I'll say yes.

GOTM

Smash Champion
I feel like we're going to fall into the same boat as the NHL when they had to cancel a full season.

If the NBA is back on by say, Christmas (just as example), you're going to have to deal with all the analysts say that, "Oh this team is only bad because they didn't gel...", or "These guys are great, but they wouldn't be as good if the other teams in their division had more time to...". That would get on my nerves.

On the other end, if they cancel the whole season, in the beginning of next season they're going to be saying things like, "Well after a year off we really can't rank the players and teams as they should be, people got older, others are out or practice, etc.", and that would piss me off as well.

It's like a lose-lose right now, but honestly, I think I'd take all the negativity to just watch some ****ing basketball.

Jane

Smash Hero
Yeah, let's watch everyone shoot 30%, jack up a hundred 3's, while playing some Zone D.
if this was anyone else, i'd start an argument about why college ball > nba.

but i know you would **** me in that argument. so i'll just not say anything more. lmao

edit- but i will say this: not all universities are created equal. there is a much larger range of skill in college.

Top Bottom