• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basic ways to get rid of bad habits.

Boxob

Smash Champion
Fix my habit of getting banned.

By not reporting me for ridiculous things such as one line posts.

You faggots.

Also, Bair is so disjointed. Like a lot.

:093:

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Looks better!

l.)___________)
l
l
l
l
l

Stryk Raishou

Smash Rookie
Do you have any tips on learning how to do advanced techniques like the spinshot and the ASC shield cancel and how to get accustomed to using them in your general playing? I'm having trouble getting the timing down on the spinshot and I never cancel the ASC... I never use the side-b spin dash either, and apparently it's better to use in certain situations...

Also, do you have any tips on how to accustom yourself to using tilts (mainly f-tilt and u-tilt) instead of smashes? I can't get myself to stop using the f-smash as a punish when the tilts are said to be better. I always end up u-smashing instead of tilting if I ever try to u-tilt..

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Hold shield at any time during the ASC. It should shield cancel automatically
As for spinshot, you just have to practice the timing.

Tilts? Do you use the C-stick? If so, stop.
Learn to use the regular control stick.

Watch vids of competent Sonics on youtube. You should pickup some strats from just doing that.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Hold shield at any time during the ASC. It should shield cancel automatically
Not really, you have to be holding it when you land lol.

Do you have any tips on learning how to do advanced techniques like the spinshot and the ASC shield cancel and how to get accustomed to using them in your general playing? I'm having trouble getting the timing down on the spinshot and I never cancel the ASC... I never use the side-b spin dash either, and apparently it's better to use in certain situations...

Also, do you have any tips on how to accustom yourself to using tilts (mainly f-tilt and u-tilt) instead of smashes? I can't get myself to stop using the f-smash as a punish when the tilts are said to be better. I always end up u-smashing instead of tilting if I ever try to u-tilt..
Spinshot (general usage) is almost all timing. If you're using a GC controller, try practicing it by holding side-B for a while, then quickly sliding from B to A.

A common problem is that you might try to be doing it too early, but remember there's start up lag, so holding it might fix that. If you just double jump slowly, then hit A earlier. If you jump straight up, then you're hitting A too quickly.

Keep in mind you can also use jump, up, or some other attack button (c-stick, etc)

ASC shield cancel - just release an ASC and hold shield. That's all there is to it. It'll stop and turn into a shield as soon as you land.

Side-B is more of a utility move than anything. If you're in a 'rhythm' while you're fighting a human opponent, they'll get used to "oh, I'll just tap shield when he comes by then punish him later" or "I'll just time it so I can grab him" or "I'll spotdodge his move", then just run at him and tap a side-B, and it'll throw him off.

Side-B can also be used to make you look vulnerable when you're really not. An example is to stand outside of his forward roll range and charge for like, .5-1 second and see if your opponent does something like roll forwards (shield cancel it and grab him) or try to attack you (shield cancel and attack), or some other weird movement.

Try walking. It'll help you a ton with tilts. You might be playing really rushed and so you tap the control stick and don't tilt enough.

Stryk Raishou

Smash Rookie
Let me clarify, I know how to do the spinshot and the ASC cancel, but I just can't get into putting them into my regular play. I know HOW to do them, I just never do them.

I guess I do play rushed... I play mostly against lv 9 coms and multiple people in free for all matches, so if I don't get out of the way fast or hit them fast, they all team up on me >_<... Stinks to be the best brawler in my school's game club lol... a Sonic user at that. Walking doesn't help with up-tilts, though.

I think what you said will help with the spinshot, it sounds like what I'm doing wrong most of the time.

By the way, the only thing I use the c-stick for is to do hyphen smashes.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
...Huh?

I'm in the waiting room right now, and I'm cancelling my ASCs by actually just holding the shield button...?

Although I'm using a Wiimote, but I doubt a different controller setup does anything.

Tenki

Smash Hero
...Huh?

I'm in the waiting room right now, and I'm cancelling my ASCs by actually just holding the shield button...?
yes.

as long as the shield button is being pressed at that certain window of time as you're landing, it will shieldcancel.

I'm lazy so I just hold shield the whole time lol.

Let me clarify, I know how to do the spinshot and the ASC cancel, but I just can't get into putting them into my regular play. I know HOW to do them, I just never do them.

I guess I do play rushed... I play mostly against lv 9 coms and multiple people in free for all matches, so if I don't get out of the way fast or hit them fast, they all team up on me >_<... Stinks to be the best brawler in my school's game club lol... a Sonic user at that. Walking doesn't help with up-tilts, though.

I think what you said will help with the spinshot, it sounds like what I'm doing wrong most of the time.

By the way, the only thing I use the c-stick for is to do hyphen smashes.
Awe, that's too bad :[

vs bad players/comps, you can get away with directly attacking people with forward-held ASC, or doing an ASC> grab on their shield. The fun stuff is against better players who predict you and stuff. Then you can start using ASC 'mid-close range' mixups.

Try doing a Spinshot fly overhead > B-air. It's a really basic use that you can do

You don't even need to tilt past halfway to get a U/D-tilt to happen, so try tilting 'softly'.

Otherwise, you can try using tap jump off custom controls :laugh:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Use it for aerials as well. Allows you to DI while using an aerial.
Yeah, the day I switched to C-stick aerials was incredible.

Listen to this man!

Get rid of tap jump too if you haven't already. It's not worth it IMO

Stryk Raishou

Smash Rookie
I think there's one or two people in club that actually play pretty decent... I know one who plays fox and rob, though I doubt he's gotten into the pro mechanics/techniques.

Anyway, I think you answered all of my questions about the techniques... I'll be sure to come back if I have anything else to ask =P... maybe I could even get matches recorded? I don't have a video card, so my only hope is for someone to record over wifi, but wifi is laggy..

Tenki

Smash Hero
I still have tap jump on lol.

Down-b spinshot is easier with it.
like the ASC spinshot? Cause that one's just like.. C-stick left/right while charging ASC.

if you mean the insta SDJ, it works with tap jump off too.

some of the specials read [up] the same way that it reads [attack] and [jump]

I think there's one or two people in club that actually play pretty decent... I know one who plays fox and rob, though I doubt he's gotten into the pro mechanics/techniques.

Anyway, I think you answered all of my questions about the techniques... I'll be sure to come back if I have anything else to ask =P... maybe I could even get matches recorded? I don't have a video card, so my only hope is for someone to record over wifi, but wifi is laggy..
@ the wifi note, it depends where you live and if you have something better than a DSL connection ;d

You might not get someone to record with, but tips based on what's wrong with your style/what you can improve on right now instead of people forever scrutinizing your mistakes "one round forever ago" is alot more valuable.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
like the ASC spinshot? Cause that one's just like.. C-stick left/right while charging ASC.
Meh, I'm accustomed to using tap jump. Bad habit from the old days. But I barely even use it. I usually just side-b spinshot. It's just another way of opting out of the ASC.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
I would add the latest stuff, but it's... well... advanced, lol. Not basic anymore. I don't want to make this an in depth guide, too much stuff to write.

infomon

Smash Scientist
as long as the shield button is being pressed at that certain window of time as you're landing, it will shieldcancel.
Not quite; your control stick has to be anywhere between neutral and forward. If it's at all backwards, then you can't shield-cancel ASC, it will do a turnaround on landing instead :urg:

Stryk Raishou

Smash Rookie
Ok... I did a little research and it appears that learning to c-stick your aerials is pretty valuable... but using the c-stick for something like that seems a little clunky control-wise to me... switching between the A button and the c stick every time you want to aerial...I guess I just have to practice?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yeah, I find it tedious as well, but it's the only way I can short-hop Uairs while moving sideways... ie. juggle ppl from under a platform.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Yeah, usually you just got it condition it into your muscle memory to be able to switch to something new.

Stryk Raishou

Smash Rookie
Cool, I got credited on one of the tips o_O

Hm... only problem with that for me would be that the only real player (that isn't over wifi) that I have for practicing purposes is my brother. He mains Pit, secondarys Wolf and plays Link for kicks, and says "I'd prefer to learn stuff on my own", so he doesn't look up advanced techs and stuff. Then he says "I don't have time to practice (meaning he can't find these techniques on his own either.)..."

So, in short, the only human I have to practice with quits after 3 or 5 matches cuz I own him too much >_<

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Ok... I did a little research and it appears that learning to c-stick your aerials is pretty valuable... but using the c-stick for something like that seems a little clunky control-wise to me... switching between the A button and the c stick every time you want to aerial...I guess I just have to practice?
if you havent done this yet, ill give you another tip, you have to do some experimenting with what you need to do with your airials, and the pros and cons for both methods, example. the only way i can auto cancel short hop forward airs with fox, and short hop stomps with ganon is if I roll my thumb from the jump buttong to the A button. and with sonic i cant do short hop forward airs if I am facing right fast enough to use the c stick cus it takes to long for my thumb to wrap around the stick and then pull it the other way.
but i cant short hop down airs with fox with the A button without full jumping it, so I have to use my c stick,

get it?
just have to figure out when each method is best for what situations
Cool, I got credited on one of the tips o_O

Hm... only problem with that for me would be that the only real player (that isn't over wifi) that I have for practicing purposes is my brother. He mains Pit, secondarys Wolf and plays Link for kicks, and says "I'd prefer to learn stuff on my own", so he doesn't look up advanced techs and stuff. Then he says "I don't have time to practice (meaning he can't find these techniques on his own either.)..."

So, in short, the only human I have to practice with quits after 3 or 5 matches cuz I own him too much >_<
look the moves up for him and show him moves with his own character if you want him to get better

Stryk Raishou

Smash Rookie
Meh, he refuses to learn from me either. Sure... I taught him simple stuff like the shield grab and the (somewhat useless in real battles) arrow loop. But, not only do I not look up stuff for Pit, but he won't learn it even if I tried to teach him.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Get him to play a game with you, where you switch on and off between victims. The victim gets their player configuration changed by the other player, but you have to leave the attack, jump, and shield buttons.
Anyways, take away his B-button, leave him with A moves, jump, and shield buttons. Leave everything else the same or switch them up at your disposal, but keep his a moves, jump, and shield at the same place.
Then switch.
It's fun for you, and it helps him learn. :O

Stryk Raishou

Smash Rookie
Won't work... I faced him with him using ALL of his buttons and I was doing multiple things from this thread. Yes, I was facing him with all of his buttons and I beat him with nothing but the control stick, the A button, and the X/Y buttons, and maybe the C-stick for aerials only, and on stages with platforms. He got a free hit on me whenever I accidentally used the shield or B buttons.

So... yeah.

On another note, he did keep saying the Wiichuck he was using (I don't think he's very adept to the wiichuck either, and the only other working GC controller we had was his Madcatz one that apparently doesn't work very well) was on the fritz and it didn't let him jump sometimes or turn around. I tested it afterwards and the jump button did fail on me once, so I guess he isn't lying.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
No, I'm saying make him use that. Don't give him the B-button while he can mix up your controls. It'll make you play worse, it'll teach him to stop relying on specials and learn his spacing. It'll also be fun.

Stryk Raishou

Smash Rookie
Lol.. I'd have a chance of losing if I used the wiichuck (horrible with it) and had nothing but the A and control stick. Meh, anyway, it is worth a shot, I guess.

EDIT: Relinquishing his use of the B button is a great idea, he uses the angel ring way to freakin much... and he complains that Link's spinny spinny is nerfed because that's all he used in melee.

EDIT2: I used to main Young Link in melee, just as a note >_<

Tenki

Smash Hero
New note that I thought was fairly obvious:

DON'T OVERUSE HOMING ATTACK IF YOUR OPPONENT KNOWS HOW TO FIGHT SONIC

>_>

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
But it works too well on people that don't know how.:sonic:

Seriously, sometimes I feel bad when SDR>SDJ>HA actually works.

NFS (sonic)

Smash Cadet
This is great, I never thought I had a problem with rolling until I read this and really 'watched' my game-play. This is really helpful.

Top Bottom