• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

banning characters is lame

Status
Not open for further replies.

darf nate

Smash Cadet
Does anyone else ever have their friends want to ban the character you play just because you get too much better than them?. Ive mained samus in all 3 games and my friends say they won't play anymore if im samus... its lame cause i tell them its not a cheap character and try to show them how low samus is on the tier lists for brawl and smash 64.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Dude, my 3 brothers and all of my friends wont play smash with me because i always beat them, with any character lol.

darf nate

Smash Cadet
yea lol it gets annoying when you get too good for your friends lol. Atleast it was motivation for me to finally attend my first tournament which was super fun.

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
I'm guilty of this. When I was in middle school, my friend was banned from playing Pikachu because we sucked and I didn't know how to air dodge the thunder.

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
We've never touched Meta knight. Ever.
And Jigglypuff is like our God.

MechanicalWood

Smash Rookie
Banning characters is unfair.. I mean we all need to make up our own strategies! If some character is spamming missiles or arrows or what not we should learn how to dodge 'em or something.

link2702

Smash Champion
obviously when casual players ban characters without even knowing just how good(or...bad) some of the characters are, then its stupid.

But in certain situations banning a character in a fighter is necessary. Akuma in SF2 turbo is the most famous example.

I won't get into the MK legal vs MK ban debate here, though i do find it funny that the brawl community still can't come together completely on whether he's truly ban worthy or not...

Now with that said.....you're friends gotta be pretty bad if they're losing that hard to samus to the point where they think she's OP'd....

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
I just realized the OP says he mains Samus, but has Jigglypuff icons under his name.

I CALL SHENANIGANS!

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Get friends that aren't babies.

Or friends that aren't terrible compared to him.

If I was the friend that always lost, I'd lose interest and just not try anymore. Why should I even play if I'm just a punching bag?

Sirsir94

Smash Rookie
The only person I would bother banning is MK. But we do prevent our friend from picking Pikachu when its his turn to pick a stage since he made that frickin custom map... And we ALL gang up on Dedede on Eldin for obvious reasons, so thats kinda a ban :)

Anther

Smash Champion
They just want to have closer matches with you! Nothing to go showing them tier lists and such over =p.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I thought you were dead. :(

We made a cake and everything. Shaped like a pikachu.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Yes, my WHOBO event is MK banned this time around.

I do it every once in a while to show the world what it would be like to actually not have to worry about a character that cannot be countered.

To show the world that you can actually use more stages and more characters once hes gone.

To show the world how many players actually SUCK at smash since they have to rely on mk.

It is a beautiful thing tbh.

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
^this. Brawl has gone to huge lengths to keep MK legal. Banning stages, making rules, all so that Brawl can keep one character who's still broken. There's no reason to not ban MK, it's just that he's so good that most people play him and begin to ***** when people want him rightfully banned

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
To show the world how many players actually SUCK at smash since they have to rely on mk.

Top level MK players would place just as high at MK banned tournaments if they spent their practice and research time on another character.

Xyro77

Top level MK players would place just as high at MK banned tournaments if they spent their practice and research time on another character.

until its proven, that is speculation.

besides, there is a reason why literally hundred and hundreds of players over the past 5 years have dropped their mains and went mk. you have not been around for as long as i have so you probably have not lived through it but it has happened and continues to happen.

Frame Perfect

Smash Journeyman
Yes, my WHOBO event is MK banned this time around.

I do it every once in a while to show the world what it would be like to actually not have to worry about a character that cannot be countered.

To show the world that you can actually use more stages and more characters once hes gone.

It is a beautiful thing tbh.

not to sully the name of The Great Marth, but doesn’t it limit the advancement of the metagame to take away the best character?

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
Does it limit the advancement of the metagame to ban counerpick worthy stages, add superficial ledge rules, have less character variety and therefore endure far too many MK dittos, just to deal with a still blatantly overpowered character?

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
It really comes down to how broken the character is. Meta Knight seems to have actually holding the meta game back because multiple stages have been banned and rules have been made to make him only a little game breaking istead of totally game breaking. If we banned him, we would see a lot more charcters become viable as well as more variety in stages.

Xyro77

not to sully the name of The Great Marth, but doesn’t it limit the advancement of the metagame to take away the best character?
It limits it for mk for sure but i feel it would benefit the rest of the game A LOT.

However, because he is legal, we have to get rid of many decent stages like brin/rc/japes/ps2/delf/halb....ect which limits the rest of the cast (especially mid tiers aka a very large part of this game) and thus slows the growth of the game. We also have to have ledge limits which hurts multiple non mk characters and thus makes them less viable at a tournament level. We have stalling/plainking/scrooging rules because of mk which hurts non mk characters which again hurts multiple characters and slows growth. This game/community puts a focus on mk at every level and THAT hurts the scene more than banning him.

link2702

Smash Champion
annnnnnnd bam now its a MK ban discussion(course that was inevitable)

expect the topic to unfortunately be locked soon.

Xyro77

of course it would lead to this. mk is the only char in any smash game that could even be considered ban worthy. nothing in melee or ssb64 requires us to butcher a game as much as brawl has.

as long as we are civil about the discussion, it shouldn't be locked soon.

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry Xyro, this is the internet, it will quickly degrade into a **** fest and be locked

-LzR-

Smash Hero
If we are willing to keep MK viable by making artificial rules and sacrificing content, I see no reason why we couldn't do the same with crappy characters. Why can't we give stupid artificial buffs to Zelda to make her good?

Xyro77

nah we are talking about a real game. not a mod for wimps who cant handle brawl.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Does anyone else ever have their friends want to ban the character you play just because you get too much better than them?. Ive mained samus in all 3 games and my friends say they won't play anymore if im samus... its lame cause i tell them its not a cheap character and try to show them how low samus is on the tier lists for brawl and smash 64.
I have no idea who you are but i like that your character flair is 3 puffs. puff is pretty good and i beat all my firends with him.

Deathconsciousness

Banned via Administration
lmao project m is nothing more than a novelty. if i wanted to play melee, i'd pop it into my wii and play it.

but anyways, yeah banning characters is gay. only the lazy ban characters. it's called adaptation, people.

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
How about if you wanted to play Melee, but with 34 and counting viable characters instead of 8, a ridiculous number of tourney legal stages, better graphics, custom controls, and more ATs?

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I have a friend that just won't play with me in general, but the ones that do play against me are on my level so no, though one of them does get pretty pissed when I CG him with Pika because he plays Wolf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom