• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

banning characters is lame

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
Banning characters isn't the answer either IMO, that's why I stopped doing so in my events back in the day.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Ban Bowser. He too OP and if the bandwagon hoppers find out about it, we'll see Bowser in the XXX Tier :(

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
lmao project m is nothing more than a novelty. if i wanted to play melee, i'd pop it into my wii and play it.

but anyways, yeah banning characters is gay. only the lazy ban characters. it's called adaptation, people.
I like how 4 posts ago, we had a relatively civil discussion about MK, and somehow you manage to come in and drop a far-from civil-comment about P:M without being (too) out of place.

That aside, banning characters in friendlies is something people really shouldn't do. I can understand banning MK in some friendlies if MK was banned in tournaments on a much wider scale, but he isn't, so you should fight against him in friendlies for the free matchup experience.

On lower levels of play, banning is definitely out of the question. Without a standardized ruleset (which doesn't exist at a casual level because most aren't even aware of the concept), the game will no have semblance of balance with low levels players in certain scenarios. However, that's much better than preventing someone from using a character just because you can't win. You can identify you problems, adapt, and eventually move on to a more 'fair' way to play the game.

Unless they're using MK, in which case you should yell less-than-respectful things about said player's mother.

Deathconsciousness

Banned via Administration
I like how 4 posts ago, we had a relatively civil discussion about MK, and somehow you manage to come in and drop a far-from civil-comment about P:M without being (too) out of place.

That aside, banning characters in friendlies is something people really shouldn't do. I can understand banning MK in some friendlies if MK was banned in tournaments on a much wider scale, but he isn't, so you should fight against him in friendlies for the free matchup experience.

On lower levels of play, banning is definitely out of the question. Without a standardized ruleset (which doesn't exist at a casual level because most aren't even aware of the concept), the game will no have semblance of balance with low levels players in certain scenarios. However, that's much better than preventing someone from using a character just because you can't win. You can identify you problems, adapt, and eventually move on to a more 'fair' way to play the game.

Unless they're using MK, in which case you should yell less-than-respectful things about said player's mother.
yeah dude you tell 'em i came on cat it hiss at penis 420/420

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Personally, I also dont think Banning is the answer. MK is really only one of the best b/c people have taken over 3x more time to improve his metagame, because of the amount of people who play him, but he is beatable. If people took more time to improve the metagame with each character, you would see a more 'accurate' tier list. (Note: The tier list changes but MK remains in the same place).

But hey, thats just my theory... feel free to disagree.

Zyskyoto

Banned via Warnings
"Too lazy to figure out how to conquer something? BAN IT!"

-Smashboards in a nutshell.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Does anyone else ever have their friends want to ban the character you play just because you get too much better than them?. Ive mained samus in all 3 games and my friends say they won't play anymore if im samus... its lame cause i tell them its not a cheap character and try to show them how low samus is on the tier lists for brawl and smash 64.
Lel, scrubs, man. Scrubs.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Personally, I also dont think Banning is the answer. MK is really only one of the best b/c people have taken over 3x more time to improve his metagame, because of the amount of people who play him, but he is beatable. If people took more time to improve the metagame with each character, you would see a more 'accurate' tier list. (Note: The tier list changes but MK remains in the same place).

But hey, thats just my theory... feel free to disagree.
Personally, I don't think MK will ever not be the best, but there are characters that have evenish MUs against him such as Pika, spacies, and G&W.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Personally, I don't think MK will ever not be the best, but there are characters that have evenish MUs against him such as Pika, spacies, and G&W.
Yeah I agree, MK will probably always be #1(maybe only being surpassed by ICs), but there are some characters that I feel should be about 1,2,or3 spaces higher/lower on the tier list.

But hey, I'm just some scrub that doesn't know any better.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Yeah I agree, MK will probably always be #1(maybe only being surpassed by ICs), but there are some characters that I feel should be about 1,2,or3 spaces higher/lower on the tier list.

But hey, I'm just some scrub that doesn't know any better.
I agree, I mean, I main Pika and I feel like he should be A tier because I think he wins against Falco and Snake, and I used to main Luigi and I feel like he should be like C- because he wins against everyone in D and C- tier except for Ike and R.O.B., plus he even has some good high tier MUs, he wins against Snake and Olimar, and is pretty even with Wario and D3. As for ICs, because of the nature of their metagame, I don't think they will ever be number one, they are much higher risk than MK because they are much more susceptible to gimps, and if their opponent kills Nana then they become a pretty mediocre character.

Danny of AD 1

Smash Apprentice
i rarely use mk i think like the entire rest of the cast is more balanced but i mean i cant really argue about the tier list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom