• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banning Bayonetta in Tournaments

Should Bayonetta be banned?

• Yes, she is game breaking

Votes: 157 19.6%
  • No, players need to adapt to her mechanics

Votes: 398 49.6%
  • Not sure yet, meta progress or patches could resolve the issue.

Votes: 248 30.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scribe

Sing, sing for ourselves alone.
Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
I don't really get why Customs was actually banned, so making that comparison to me doesn't mean much.
Why was Customs banned? Never really looked it up.
Certain customs encouraged particularly degenerate strategies. Such as Tripping Tree Villager.
logistics, and some characters are very confusing to learn how to fight against in customs, such as trip sapling villager and wind kong, since they punished careless aggression, kinda like bayonetta now that I think about it...
It did punish careless aggression, but in a much different way. Tripping Tree discouraged careless aggression in a way that makes the game much more of a slog to play by preventing you from approaching in the first place, while Bayo discourages careless agression by beating the **** out of you if you approach with your guard down.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
How though? Just avoiding the sapling isn't enough?
Since tripping sapling is basically a banana that you could never pick up, it sectioned off areas of the stage giving villager ridiculous stage control (which was then used to lame out the opponent super hard)

Also anyone who doubts it's the minority complaining about bayonetta simply needs to check the results off the poll that htis thread is based on.

Last edited:

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
This thread was in the Bayonetta subforum for most of its history. Honestly, if we're going to want that poll to have any meaning, then it ought to be reset or something.

EDIT: Not to mention that, even that fact considered, only 55% of the people are sure that she is fine, and 45% of people are willing to consider that she deserves a ban.

That's really, really significant.

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
This thread was in the Bayonetta subforum for most of its history. Honestly, if we're going to want that poll to have any meaning, then it ought to be reset or something.

EDIT: Not to mention that, even that fact considered, only 55% of the people are sure that she is fine, and 45% of people are willing to consider that she deserves a ban.

That's really, really significant.
45% of 550. It is really not that significant.

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
45% of 550. It is really not that significant.
I'm sure that if it was 10%:90% you'd claim it was significant [and I would still agree with you], so how many people have to vote before you start to realize that being so evenly divided is significant?

550 is a lot of people in relation to getting a decent sample size of the community. Real-life polls don't operate off of getting a massive amount of people to vote, but by getting a fair [more-or-less, on average, neutral] voting sample.

Perhaps you could argue that the sample wasn't "fair", but the damn thing was in the Bayonetta sub-forum for a long time, so I'd agree that the poll wasn't fair, because it was biased in the pro-Bayonetta direction.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
I'm sure that if it was 10%:90% you'd claim it was significant [and I would still agree with you], so how many people have to vote before you start to realize that being so evenly divided is significant?
Sorry, but I don't think so. I always think small polls is overrated.
I can't exactly pinpoint how many people voting would be enough, the poll is biased because only Smashboard users (and visitors?) can vote.

550 is a lot of people in relation to getting a decent sample size of the community. Real-life polls don't operate off of getting a massive amount of people to vote, but by getting a fair [more-or-less, on average, neutral] voting sample.
Normally, but this poll isn't a voted by randoms, it was voted by volunteers.
This is why the fan ballot poll is inaccurate and biased.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
No, I agree, the poll serves a purpose. And I also agree that it should be reset and everyone should cast their votes again.

Even if it doesnt prove anything, its always good to get a general feel of where people stand.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
No, I agree, the poll serves a purpose. And I also agree that it should be reset and everyone should cast their votes again.

Even if it doesnt prove anything, its always good to get a general feel of where people stand.
As long as people don't take the poll too seriously or use its results as an argument, I don't really mind it.

Xephilon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2294-3812-5736
I never got to play much customs but some were pretty dumb.
Wind Kong can punish anyone that's not on the ground so it just forbid anyone to jump near DK
Pikachu Skull Bash killed extremely early (I think it killed MVD once at 30% or less and it was a combo)
Villager sapling...I have no experience on this one.

Anywho, I would've liked to see more customs but besides that, I think the reason they banned customs is cause they were too hard to make an organized tournament with them seeing how every Wii U has got to have the customs, one of each possible custom for each character...Sounds tedious.

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
The last locals I've attended and the tournaments I've watched on stream are looking more grim than ever.
In all my years since 64 I've never seen something like this lol, losing against s4 sheik,m fox and brawl MK was way different to lose against bayonetta, you don't feel outplayed at all.
What makes me sad is that we are forced to give someone a major before doing anything about bayonetta, someone that clealy doesn't deserve it.
Maybe even more than one major. People will realize this soon enough.
anyways we get nothing complaining, well just learn how to camp and play lame

Browny

Smash Hater
I suppose I don't know the definition of a soft ban then.

People are still using Bayonetta. Or have Pink Fresh, Salem, Ninjalink, etc, been exiled from their communities when I wasn't looking?
All top players agree she is #1
All top players refuse to use her because of how overpowered she is and the negative stigma of using the character

The classic soft ban, it only has 2 criteria.

Remember, when diddy was broken good on release many top players refused to touch him because of the stigma, but some went to him for the easy money. With bayonetta, she is BETTER than pre-patch diddy, and no top players are touching her.

That's a soft ban.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
All top players refuse to use her because of how overpowered she is and the negative stigma of using the character

Remember, when diddy was broken good on release many top players refused to touch him because of the stigma, but some went to him for the easy money. With bayonetta, she is BETTER than pre-patch diddy, and no top players are touching her.

That's a soft ban.
It's also the least effective way to prove how "broken" she is. If people just swallowed their pride and made upcoming tournies all bayo dittos like pre-patch diddy, I guarantee you we'd see the dev team address it and nerf bayo in all the right places.

Browny

Smash Hater
Exactly, its denial.

The top players know that she is far and away the best character that needs a nerf but they are doing everything physically possible to hide that truth.

Top Player #1: "Bayonetta is beatable at high level, I'm just not going to main her so I can prove that"
Top Player #2 - #50: "I'm not going to main Bayonetta because I can prove that I can win without her"
Everyone else: "How can Top Player #1 prove Bayonetta is beatable at high level, when no other top player is using her?"

Thus the soft ban continues. No one can trust what the top players say when they refuse to prove how she is beatable at the highest level.

My theory/argument could be utterly dismantled if just one top player switched to Bayonetta (who competes in USA) however for as long as they refuse to, she technically remains soft banned.

Last edited:

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
It's never used as a way to prove that she's broken; it's a way to counterargue against the fact that she has "no results", because people argue for her lack of results as being proof of non-brokenness. [which isn't true because the best players aren't playing her, and are about to out-skill her mains as of now]

Obviously a group of people could soft ban a non-broken character, but it would make it that the character's subsequent lack of results wouldn't prove anything.

By the way, do we even have any reason to believe that the dev team cares at all about what's happening in America, other than big news? I honestly suspect that the most that America influences the dev team is whatever Japanese Smash culture picks up from us and starts repeating. So... tier lists, dank memes, strategies... and so on.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Even if they dont care about the US (which they do), Japan is apparently unhappy with bayo as well.

Scribe

Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022

That's a soft ban.
Actually, no, there's one other criterion that you're missing.
High-level players actively shaming those who break the agreement and do use the character.

Does it occur at lower levels of play? Definitely, and that's because you have a lot of jack wagons with their heads up their asses. But in high level play? I don't think a single notable high-level Smash player, even those who have talked about how OP she is, has actively given people **** for maining Bayo (Not counting Ally, because he's a notorious troll, and even he sticks to lighthearted jabs instead of outright malice). Probably because they've learned to heed the words of the great philosopher Ice-T; "don't hate the playa, hate the game."

Last edited:

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I get why it seems like it would make sense that they care about America, since we're a large part of their fanbase, but...

Is there any actual reason to believe that they pay attention to anything other than Japan and For Glory? I've been wondering ever since they gave weight nerfs that directly aligned with the Japanese tier list.

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord

That's a soft ban.
There are only two players I can think of that do that; ZeRo who actually has been shaming people for using the character, and Ally.

Other top players have done worst with her then their actual mains, and why switch to a character you think is going to get nerfed (one reason M2K never bothered with Smash 4 Sheik, for instance), with Grewad as an example and ZeRo throwing a tantrum about that?

You're confusing disinterest in playing the character with some sort of agenda driven statement.

There are so many things wrong with this statement.

1) Firstly, Bayonetta is not better then pre-patch Diddy. That's absurd. She has less tools and more weaknesses then Pre-Patch Diddy, Luigi, and yes, even Sheik, ever had.

2) Pre-Patched Diddy was absolutely everywhere. Again, you have to stop confusing disinterest with a collaborative agenda.

Dabuz plays Rosalina and Luma, Nairo plays ZSS, Ally with Mario, ESAM with Pikachu, etc; you're essentially saying they chose their mains to partake in a silent protest hidden from us peons, not because they just like those characters better and learned the match up against Diddy.

My theory/argument could be utterly dismantled if just one top player switched to Bayonetta (who competes in USA) however for as long as they refuse to, she technically remains soft banned.
That's an absurd requisite. Someone whose already a Top 10 player, and only in the US, whose already put in the work on another main for over a year, probably uses Smash as their primary source of income, HAS to switch to a character many think will be nerfed in order to convince you she isn't soft banned?

Last edited:

BunbUn129

Smash Ace

That's a soft ban.
You have to consider people aren't going to throw away a year or more of character experience and labbing, especially when Bayonetta is almost definitely getting nerfed in a little while. Diddy was a release character, and players really couldn't measure how good he was relative to the cast at the beginning. Bayonetta started in an environment where all relevant characters had developed metas, so we had an actual metric with which to point out the issues in her design.

Personally, I was fascinated by Bayonetta's play style when she was released, and I even thought of picking her up as a main or secondary. With MK's ladder nerfed, again, I was considering whether to keep maining MK or downgrade him to a secondary and main Bayo. But in both cases, I thought "I've put in so much work with this character, and I'm not going to let it go to waste." I think that's a major factor in the US soft ban that doesn't get mentioned.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
That's an absurd requisite. Someone whose already a Top 10 player, and only in the US, whose already put in the work on another main for over a year, probably uses Smash as their primary source of income, HAS to switch to a character many think will be nerfed in order to convince you she isn't soft banned?
No one cares about mid-low level play as examples of anything, because whatever they complain about being too strong is nullified by 'get better, adapt' which is completely fair advice.

These people always have top players telling them that they just need to SDI to escape her combos. The question is always asked on streams; has anyone ever done it? We are always told to just DI better but there is no single video evidence out there of someone successfully escaping Bayos combos when done correctly. That's kind of a big deal.

No one is going to look at people escaping mid-level bayonetta combos as definitive evidence and go 'Well there you have it, Kirbymaster69 just escaped Yoloswaggers' Bayonetta combo, clearly this is evidence that DI is easy against her'. We want to see someone, ANYONE, escape a bayo combo when performed by a top player.

And no, I dont need 'convincing' that she isnt soft banned. She IS soft banned, this isnt even a question and I don't know why people think that is up for debate. The #1 character in the game is shunned and ignored by top players. She is soft banned, there's nothing else to it. When Sheik was undisputed #1, was she shunned and ignored? Oh no thats right, she was stupidly popular everywhere you looked in finals at big tournaments.

People need to learn the difference between an opinion and a fact. Just because I say she is soft banned, doesnt make it an opinion. She literally fits every single criteria of a soft ban, its a fact. Sure call me stubborn and arrogant for thinking I'm right, but there is no criteria of a soft ban that bayo doesn't currently fit into perfectly (at the highest level, in USA only)

Last edited:

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
These people always have top players telling them that they just need to SDI to escape her combos. The question is always asked on streams; has anyone ever done it? We are always told to just DI better but there is no single video evidence out there of someone successfully escaping Bayos combos when done correctly. That's kind of a big deal.
That's...not true in the slightest?

Pink Fresh vs Hyuga at Pound would certainly disagree with that, as would a lot of the stuff I was seeing at Kawaiicon between the Hawaii Crew vs Ninjalink's Bayonetta with characters like Little Mac, Yoshi, and Wario.

Everyone vs Diddy Kong's Ho-Hah combos before M2K literally told everyone on stream at Apex 2015 how to properly DI against it would be a relatively apt comparison.

But wait, you've already included a way out from that; you could always just claim that Pink Fresh, Ninjalink, Salem, etc, aren't actually Top Players so they don't count.

She is soft banned, there's nothing else to it. When Sheik was undisputed #1, was she shunned and ignored? Oh no thats right, she was stupidly popular everywhere you looked in finals at big tournaments.
...mostly by people who picked Shiek up instead of Diddy when the game came out, if we're just looking at the top players. Only one I can think of that switched to keep going with the best character was ZeRo. As you go down the list there were plenty of other Diddys (which, again, in a previous post you asserted had also been soft banned) switching to Sheik, just not at that level.

And shifting the goal posts, much? Last post you were equating Bayonetta to Diddy with misinformation. I called you out on that, and without missing a step you've just changed all of your arguments to Sheik.

People need to learn the difference between an opinion and a fact. Just because I say she is soft banned, doesnt make it an opinion.
No, but you calling it a theory does.

My theory/argument could be utterly dismantled if [...]
But most importantly, your justifications are meritless and contrary to the data. Bayonetta is used quite a lot in the US, by several top players.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
She literally fits every single criteria of a soft ban, its a fact.
She doesn't, and I can easily claim that's just as much of a fact.

But considering how predisposed you are to this argument and neglect results as well as the simple occam's razor in regards to how the top players you keep placing stake in perceive top tiers (i.e ZeRo, VoiD and False being the most notable US players for Sheik's results when virtually every top pro above the two latter had more consistent results with equally viable top tiers, not because they necessarily believed characters like Rosa/ZSS/Diddy were better but because of preference), there's no point in trying to convince you otherwise.

Last edited:

Darksydaz

Smash Cadet
NNID
LordDarksydaz
just my two cents

1.) my Smash Corner came out with a video talking about how to DI and Smash DI combos. I think this is what people are referring to where people aren't even trying to learn the match-up.

2.) Not everyone picks up a character to win, they pick up a character that meshes with their playstyle more often than not. If not, there would be more Rosalina and Luma Players. People do tend to gravitate to the new "hotness".

3.) Is there something about playing smash and being defensive while at it? Something against being in your shield a little more to frustrate a bayonetta player to commit to her bad options. Bouncing fish is like dABK (ABDK?) so shield it. It's not like Bayo is shiek and can come rushing in with a bunch of safe options and frame data to beat you out (unless you play shulk; no offense
shulk mains)

4.) There seems to be a huge number of misconception from bayonetta that i'm surprised that one of them isn't "She has a witch twist glitch that sends you directly up to the blast zone that you cannot DI from, it even KO'd ZeRo Once..."

It seems like there are misconceptions with playing against Bayonetta that people haven't taken time to figure out and by comparison, no one wants to figure out. And that's pretty bad.
fdaffs

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
No one cares about mid-low level play as examples of anything, because whatever they complain about being too strong is nullified by 'get better, adapt' which is completely fair advice.

No one is going to look at people escaping mid-level bayonetta combos as definitive evidence and go 'Well there you have it, Kirbymaster69 just escaped Yoloswaggers' Bayonetta combo, clearly this is evidence that DI is easy against her'. We want to see someone, ANYONE, escape a bayo combo when performed by a top player.

And no, I dont need 'convincing' that she isnt soft banned. She IS soft banned, this isnt even a question and I don't know why people think that is up for debate. The #1 character in the game is shunned and ignored by top players. She is soft banned, there's nothing else to it. When Sheik was undisputed #1, was she shunned and ignored? Oh no thats right, she was stupidly popular everywhere you looked in finals at big tournaments.

People need to learn the difference between an opinion and a fact. Just because I say she is soft banned, doesnt make it an opinion. She literally fits every single criteria of a soft ban, its a fact. Sure call me stubborn and arrogant for thinking I'm right, but there is no criteria of a soft ban that bayo doesn't currently fit into perfectly (at the highest level, in USA only)
Post from Reddit

"Most of the top players don't fit her play style. A lot of the pros main characters with fast frame data, a strong neutral dominance and an above average punish game: ESAM with pika, ZeRo with Diddy, Mr. R with Shiek, etc. This playstyle doesn't fit Bayonetta. Bayonetta has a slightly above average or average neutral game, but a godly punish game. These high level players would have to learn a completely new playstyle in order to play Bayonetta, a character that is more than likely going to get nerfed in the coming months.

For players that enjoy this playstyle, Bayonetta would be a perfect fit. Characters like Ryu somewhat fit Bayo, with Ryu's godly punish game and above average neutral, and this shows with 9B switching to Bayo and getting better results without having to completely re-adapt his playstyle." by r4wrFox

Saying Bayonetta is soft banned is like saying Ryu is soft banned. She's not soft banned lol. People just don't want to admit that she actually requires you to put in time to play her effectively.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
To people who want Bayo to get banned. First off all, don't lie about her capabilities, it only makes you come across as if you have no clue what you're talking about. Second, the complaints are "Bayonetta's so OP, you don't need to be good in tournaments and you'll win because of her!", right? Here's the solution. PROVE that Bayonetta can effortlessly destroy everything in tournaments. Because whoever's in charge of the balance patches is watching. Case and point, there was a tournament in which a team of Sheik and G&W would use Vanish and Oil Panic to kill ridiculously early. The next patch made it so that this strategy doesn't work, as Oil Panic would be much less stronger if teammates filled it. Hoohah got nerfed after a month iirc, and Cloud in doubles would have a teammate whack an enemy in their direction and use Finishing Touch. Aerial Finishing Touch was Cloud's biggest nerf when the next patch came along. Meaning if Bayonetta could genuinely blow everything back with no effort, she'll get nerfed in the areas that were constantly used. Because let's be real here, not even Brawl MK got banned until after a few years, Bayonetta CERTAINLY can't compare to Brawl MK, so getting banned after 2 months is ridiculous.

Browny

Smash Hater
"Japan, however, does not officially ban Akuma from tournaments! They have what is called a "soft ban." This is a tacit understanding amongst all top players that Akuma is too good to be played, and that he destroys an otherwise beautiful game, so they unofficially agree not to play him. There are always a very small number of people who do play him in tournaments, but never the top players. Usually a few poor players try their hand at the god-character and lose, which is utterly humiliating and crowd-pleasing. This is an interesting alternate take on the "hard ban" we have in America. "

Well gee doesn't that sound familiar...

Buddhahobo Buddhahobo

Not wanting to switch to bayo because of fear of an impending nerf is a perfectly legitimate reason to not use Bayo. Yet hordes of people flocked to Sheik when she was clearly the best in the game despite the threat of nerfs incoming. I realised the Diddy example might not be best because people didnt know he was going to get nerfed. After two, really hard nerfs on diddy, people stayed with sheik knowing that possibility so it is more similar to Bayonetta in that regard.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
"Japan, however, does not officially ban Akuma from tournaments! They have what is called a "soft ban." This is a tacit understanding amongst all top players that Akuma is too good to be played, and that he destroys an otherwise beautiful game, so they unofficially agree not to play him. There are always a very small number of people who do play him in tournaments, but never the top players. Usually a few poor players try their hand at the god-character and lose, which is utterly humiliating and crowd-pleasing. This is an interesting alternate take on the "hard ban" we have in America. "

Well gee doesn't that sound familiar...
Except Akuma got banned in a game which didn't get balance patches, so Akuma couldn't get fixed at all. Also, could you refresh my memory? I don't exactly remember why he got banned, but I recall him being fast as hell, strong as hell, and being the best juggler in the game. Bayonetta doesn't quite fit that due to her speed and lag

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Except Akuma got banned in a game which didn't get balance patches, so Akuma couldn't get fixed at all. Also, could you refresh my memory? I don't exactly remember why he got banned, but I recall him being fast as hell, strong as hell, and being the best juggler in the game. Bayonetta doesn't quite fit that due to her speed and lag
Akuma quite literally invalidated the entire cast.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Luigi wasn't a fraction of the threat that Bayonetta is and Hoo-Ha and Sheik were. There's a reason why you never saw a Luigi win a national. Meanwhile, you could search up "smash 4 tournament" and damn near every Grand Finals would have Sheik, Zero Suit, or Diddy in it. It's honestly kind of absurd to compare Luigi and Bayonetta.

Scribe

Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
Fast as hell, strong as hell, and had moves that flat out broke the rules of the game, such as an air fireball (it was a simpler time), resulting him being basically untouchable if you know what you're doing, thus invalidating the entire cast.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Fast as hell, strong as hell, and had moves that flat out broke the rules of the game, such as an air fireball (it was a simpler time), resulting him being basically untouchable if you know what you're doing, thus invalidating the entire cast.
Akuma quite literally invalidated the entire cast.
Any and all comparisons of Akuma to Bayonetta are now invalid. Bayonetta has multiple weakness. Tough to exploit at times, yes, but Akuma being untouchable removes his low HP. That's disgusting

link2702

Smash Champion
Because let's be real here, not even Brawl MK got banned until after a few years, Bayonetta CERTAINLY can't compare to Brawl MK, so getting banned after 2 months is ridiculous.
the only reason it took so long for metaknight to be banned, was some stubborn bullheaded anti-ban players who were extremely vocal.

they first claimed it was too early to ban him....even after 2 years. Then they started claiming after that, after tournaments started to dwindle, people got tired of seeing him, while project M took off, and melee experienced it's Renaissance, that it was "too late and the damage was already done, so just leave him in, because his banning wouldn't bring back the players his legality pushed away. "

the community went through several rulesets all in an attempt to neuter him a little bit, that had the drawback of hurting other characters as well, while not affecting mk near as much as they hoped.

The whole case with MK was handled extremely poorly, and had the community used some sense and banned him after just one year of him dominating things, brawl might have been very different in it's later years.

I would hope the community would be wiser and not let another character potentially do this same kind of damage, but at least nintendo this time around can patch and nerf characters, so that might be the one thing that saves bayo from a permanent ban.

Scribe

Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
Any and all comparisons of Akuma to Bayonetta are now invalid. Bayonetta has multiple weakness. Tough to exploit at times, yes, but Akuma being untouchable removes his low HP. That's disgusting
Yep.

We already had this conversation 10 pages ago.

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
Luigi wasn't a fraction of the threat that Bayonetta is and Hoo-Ha and Sheik were. There's a reason why you never saw a Luigi win a national. Meanwhile, you could search up "smash 4 tournament" and damn near every Grand Finals would have Sheik, Zero Suit, or Diddy in it. It's honestly kind of absurd to compare Luigi and Bayonetta.
Luigi's grab killing you at 80 was sort of a big deal and over centralized his gameplay. And I'd say Luigi consistently killing you at 75%+ way better than Bayonetta. Nintendo obviously doesn't want that. It's the same reason why Bowser, Diddy, and MK were nerfed despite MK or Bowser ever winning something big. Apparently they don't like super linear, autopilot, brain dead play. Luigi's most optimal punish 100% of the time were grabs for racking up damage and taking the stock. It didn't require you to think because the best punish every time was a grab. A.k.a brain dead. They tend to "nerf" characters like that very quickly and was why Sheik wasn't nerfed hard for like a year. It's easy to nerf something when you know 100% for sure what the problem is. While with Sheik, she wasn't some one trick pony. You couldn't pin point any one thing on Sheik and say "Ah, yes. That's why she's the best character in the game." Say what you want about Bayonetta, but she isn't brain dead or centralized in the least bit. Bayonetta can sometimes cause anxiety or stress because when you punish an opponent with a combo and they don't die you constantly question yourself if there could have been a better combo you could have done to get the kill or a different combo you could have done for better damage. I know, #toptierproblems but it's true.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You couldn't pin point any one thing on Sheik and say "Ah, yes. That's why she's the best character in the game." Say what you want about Bayonetta, but she isn't brain dead or centralized in the least bit.
I want to add an argument on this. Bayobanners will most likely argue about Witch Time, but even then, just grab her or punish Bayonetta with a smash attack or something

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Luigi's grab killing you at 80 was sort of a big deal and over centralized his gameplay. And I'd say Luigi consistently killing you at 75%+ way better than Bayonetta. Nintendo obviously doesn't want that. It's the same reason why Bowser, Diddy, and MK were nerfed despite MK or Bowser ever winning something big. Apparently they don't like super linear, autopilot, brain dead play. Luigi's most optimal punish 100% of the time were grabs for racking up damage and taking the stock. It didn't require you to think because the best punish every time was a grab. A.k.a brain dead. They tend to "nerf" characters like that very quickly and was why Sheik wasn't nerfed hard for like a year. It's easy to nerf something when you know 100% for sure what the problem is. While with Sheik, she wasn't some one trick pony. You couldn't pin point any one thing on Sheik and say "Ah, yes. That's why she's the best character in the game." Say what you want about Bayonetta, but she isn't brain dead or centralized in the least bit. Bayonetta can sometimes cause anxiety or stress because when you punish an opponent with a combo and they don't die you constantly question yourself if there could have been a better combo you could have done to get the kill or a different combo you could have done for better damage. I know, #toptierproblems but it's true.
All the same, Luigi's weaknesses were no laughing matter, and they were what kept him from being in the same class as all the aforementioned characters. What if he can't get grab? Then the opponent lives until 130%. Then you finally catch them, and they're out of kill range. What if you zone him out? What if you gimp his recovery? What if you pressure his shield? Luigi may have been simple at first glance, but he still had one hell of a struggle, a struggle that couldn't be solved by simply mashing forward air, or throwing bananas and Hoo-Ha-ing, or slowing down time.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
All the same, Luigi's weaknesses were no laughing matter, and they were what kept him from being in the same class as all the aforementioned characters. What if he can't get grab? Then the opponent lives until 130%. Then you finally catch them, and they're out of kill range. What if you zone him out? What if you gimp his recovery? What if you pressure his shield? Luigi may have been simple at first glance, but he still had one hell of a struggle, a struggle that couldn't be solved by simply mashing forward air, or throwing bananas and Hoo-Ha-ing, or slowing down time.
This has nothing to do with the thread really, and judging by your history of posts, it's a fact you enjoy messing with people. I advice arguing this in a PM

Green L

Smash Apprentice
Luigi's grab killing you at 80 was sort of a big deal and over centralized his gameplay. And I'd say Luigi consistently killing you at 75%+ way better than Bayonetta. Nintendo obviously doesn't want that. It's the same reason why Bowser, Diddy, and MK were nerfed despite MK or Bowser ever winning something big. Apparently they don't like super linear, autopilot, brain dead play. Luigi's most optimal punish 100% of the time were grabs for racking up damage and taking the stock. It didn't require you to think because the best punish every time was a grab. A.k.a brain dead. They tend to "nerf" characters like that very quickly and was why Sheik wasn't nerfed hard for like a year. It's easy to nerf something when you know 100% for sure what the problem is
Luigi had a clear set of weaknesses to counter his grab game so that's why luigi wasn't winning tourneys left and right. Bayo is winning a ton of tourneys consistently and is carrying players to victory who wouldn't be so successful without bayo

Last edited:

Darksydaz

Smash Cadet
NNID
LordDarksydaz
Questions:

Do you truly think that Akuma which had AMAZING matchups due to his superior moves and broken air fireball compares to bayonetta with her bad frame data and amazing punish game?

1.) My belief that Witch Time (and bayonetta) is seen as needing a nerf is because she challenges the "established meta" by being able to punish "frame traps" that have been developed by characters. Watching the match between Renai and 9B bayonetta, he even threw out witch time in response to villager's flowchart response of Nair out of shield. Is a character that punishes Flowchart play bad?

2.) I can understand why most top players don't wanna switch to Bayo. She doesn't really have many options out of shield except witch twist and which time, since most of her other options are really slow. So why can't people bait these out again?

3.) The other problem here that people fail to look at are the number of things she has safe in shield. There is a properly spaced Bair or a Divekick, but unlike Akuma in ST, the smash cast is equipped to deal with such. Can her Divekick trade with other (good) Aerial Normals?

4.) A lot of pages ago, someone mentioned that they adapted to witch time by relying on multi-hit moves. Can this not be adapted even by the "heavies" she invalidates?

I'm trying to understand the side of the people that, once again, want bayonetta nerfed to the ground or banned. But there seems to be alot of misinformation about her and her capabilities. People are scared of what she could become seem like they are fear mongering, holding onto the sentiments that ALL witch time counters lead to death and ALL divekicks lead to a 0-death. I don't get most of the arguments and maybe i'm too stubborn to understand that you can DI combos and SDI witch twist, or why you can't bait out witch time (like most people do counters), or why you can't block her divekick like people look for bouncing fish. I'm really trying to understand the argument and maybe i'm being unreasonable. :(

but if i am, let me know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom