• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Any one of the jingles would be fire, but I'd personally vouch for the completed honeycomb jingle....

It just feels very "victory themey" to me, & I'd love to hear a big band orchestral rendition.
EDIT: Plus, this'd feel pretty symbolic should the duo make it into Smash. Like they got a metaphorical extra life-point!

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Another victory animation I would love to see is have Banjo-Kazooie playing their instruments to the last notes of their own theme song. (Specifically from 1:20-1:26)
Then the their name drops on the last note of the splash screen.

Banjo-Kazooie Intro/Theme Song:
https://youtu.be/NjYWVia5bAM

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
It is true, Gregg Mayles is still at Rare.

See, the problem there is that, for the old Banjo games, Gregg was the guy who was actually responsible for the most of the game and level design, which is, you know, where Yooka-Laylee ended up faltering the most. He literally handcrafted the worlds in Banjo by himself and wrote the story and dialogue for the characters, and he imagined all the gameplay concepts and ideas. Have some of his concept art to get a good idea of what he contributed to Banjo:

https://twitter.com/ghoulyboy/status/614687270784921600

Yes, Chris Sutherland, Steve Mayles and Grant Kirkhope are important recipes to the Banjo formula, but Gregg was the guy providing the structure for everything to work. It's why YL does a decent job at looking and sounding like a Banjo, but ends up missing the heart, because as it turns out, Gregg was that heart. It's like trying to form the Megazord without the Tyrannosaurus zord, pretty much.
I love looking at that concept art

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
In case anybody’s interested, I made a petition to remaster/remake N64 games for Switch. Including Rare games like Banjo-Kazooie. Here it is: https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-remaster-remake-n64-games-for-switch
Now, I know what you guys are gonna say. “But Microsoft owns Rare now. Sure, Rare made games with Nintendo in the past, but they couldn’t possibly let Nintendo put their games on Nintendo consoles.” But, Nintendo and Microsoft are currently building a relationship/friendship, remember? So maybe it might be possible.

Last edited:

KingMinjo91

Smash Apprentice
Any one of the jingles would be fire, but I'd personally vouch for the completed honeycomb jingle....

It just feels very "victory themey" to me, & I'd love to hear a big band orchestral rendition.
EDIT: Plus, this'd feel pretty symbolic should the duo make it into Smash. Like they got a metaphorical extra life-point!
You know, I was so focused on the jiggy get theme that I completely forgot about about this one for the victory song. It's absolutely perfect.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

jose verde

Smash Rookie
In Project Dream, I found a hidden song, I think it's the early main theme. It does not sound good, but you can modify this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_6pPn4zdtw

I found it in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w72kj20YNA0

The Project Dream trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdCBctyO7pA
You have to ask Rare right now about this song, the majestic Early Main Theme (I think that's what it's called). You have to ask Rare if they have found a ROM of Project Dream songs, as they did for Rare Replay, we fans have been waiting for years on the songs and nurbs designs of the Banjo-Kazooie beta characters: Giant, Babe, Elvking and Big Foot, and Project Dream missing: Timmy, Billy the parrot, Big Belly, Bully, Cocktail, Ella, Swedish, Kazooie's parents (they were going to appear in Dream).

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
You know. I just remembered that Retro studios has had a mystery game in production for what seems like years at this point. :201h::201m::201m::201m::201m:
Microsoft doesn’t own that studio.

Also, a Banjo revival wouldn’t have to be made by someone MS or Nintendo owns.

Killer Instinct & Battletoads were made by third parties. Killer Instinct turned out to be amazing, hopefully Battletoads will be too.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Which Victory Theme would everyone prefer here for Banjo-Kazooie ?

Banjo-Kazooie: Collect Jiggy Theme:
https://youtu.be/DxKaqEycY6M

Or

Banjo-Kazooie: Door Open/Collect all Jiggy's Theme: https://youtu.be/YxkqSaLBje0
Personally, I love the Door Open/Collect all Jiggys theme for their victory theme, it's much more triumphant I think. Although honestly I'm open to the collect Jiggy theme, and the collect another Honeycomb theme for their victory themes, they all feel very appropriate. And I LOVE the idea of the menu theme continuing on loop like Cloud's victory theme! Once again, Banjo & Kazooie have a plethora of material to bring to Smash already available in the games they have.

LH LH

Smash Cadet
Anyone think banjo is likely? Nowadays it’s most likely steve talk. And on the topic of banjo music here is a playlist someone put together https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkNn5zq7_qk9po0td46BivCKPFBYzDXqR
Only downside is no nuts and bolts music and there isn’t that much tooie music. They could add some music from banjo pilot or gruntys revenge idk. Even though nuts and bolts was a pretty bad game with and without taking the fact that it was part of the Banjo Kazooie series into consideration you can’t lie that the sound track was pretty nice. And this vt is my choice maybe remixed https://youtu.be/unjqNlr1w6w

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Anyone think banjo is likely? Nowadays it’s most likely steve talk. And on the topic of banjo music here is a playlist someone put together https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkNn5zq7_qk9po0td46BivCKPFBYzDXqR
Only downside is no nuts and bolts music and there isn’t that much tooie music. They could add some music from banjo pilot or gruntys revenge idk. Even though nuts and bolts was a pretty bad game with and without taking the fact that it was part of the Banjo Kazooie series into consideration you can’t lie that the sound track was pretty nice. And this vt is my choice maybe remixed https://youtu.be/unjqNlr1w6w
Most of the points touted by even mild Steve fans are fairly inconsequential with a point or two with relative significance. In the grand scheme I see Banjo more likely from a commercial, design, and aesthetic perspective. Then again there is my personal bias, but I'm fairly certain that my beliefs have merit.

Going back to music I totally see a looping track on the victory screen.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Most of the points touted by even mild Steve fans are fairly inconsequential with a point or two with relative significance. In the grand scheme I see Banjo more likely from a commercial, design, and aesthetic perspective. Then again there is my personal bias, but I'm fairly certain that my beliefs have merit.

Going back to music I totally see a looping track on the victory screen.
Commercially might be debatable, but I will say, for what it's worth, that I've seen a lot of people say they don't think Steve fits into Smash aesthetically, and I've seen very few people say the same thing about Banjo.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
I think it's a 50/50 as far a banjo and Steve. Nintendo could be looking at Steve with dollar signs and go with him. Or sakurai bias could rear it's ugly head (since he likes minecraft)

While Steve is popular in general, I'm confident that banjo is more popular when it comes to smash fans. So we have 2 characters that would sell incredibly well. One is more popular in the gaming scheme. The other is more popular within the community of your game. Depends on who they want to cater to.
Hopefully Nintendo and sakurai look past dollar signs and personal bias and realize this could be a once in a life time opportunity.

God forbid we get steve and only steve this game. Then when the next smash game rolls around, nintendo and ms aren't close anymore, basically cutting down any chance banjo had. Banjo fans won't let nintendo hear the end of. That they let that golden opportunity slip by.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
The Completionist revisited Banjo-Kazooie today!

Just saw it. Pretty much cements my love of these characters. It should also be known that Garard has met Miamoto and a bunch of Nintendo big wigs before. Dudes in deep with Nintendo. That is no way regarding Smash, but it's a nice piece of trivia.

hinode

Smash Cadet
I think it's a 50/50 as far a banjo and Steve. Nintendo could be looking at Steve with dollar signs and go with him. Or sakurai bias could rear it's ugly head (since he likes minecraft)

While Steve is popular in general, I'm confident that banjo is more popular when it comes to smash fans. So we have 2 characters that would sell incredibly well. One is more popular in the gaming scheme. The other is more popular within the community of your game. Depends on who they want to cater to.
Hopefully Nintendo and sakurai look past dollar signs and personal bias and realize this could be a once in a life time opportunity.

God forbid we get steve and only steve this game. Then when the next smash game rolls around, nintendo and ms aren't close anymore, basically cutting down any chance banjo had. Banjo fans won't let nintendo hear the end of. That they let that golden opportunity slip by.
Why would Nintendo or Sakurai assume this is a "once in a lifetime opportunity"? And even if it is, why should they care?

I think a lot of the Banjo fanbase in the Smash scene make the mistake of assuming/hoping/praying that everyone at Nintendo are diehard Banjo fanboys who are just chomping at the bit to save BK from obscurity just as much as the Banjo fanbase are. There's absolutely no evidence to support this assumption, and a lot of reason to think that the business side of Nintendo, at minimum, will treat Banjo in a coldly rational manner. If they make business sense to include, they'll be in; if not, Nintendo will look elsewhere. This goes for Ultimate DLC, the next Smash game, and anything else.

Same goes for the talk about Nintendo or Retro working on a Banjo game from a few pages back. There is negative reason to assume that either would work on multiplatform Banjo game (which is presumably how Microsoft would handle a hypothetical BK revival), and even if MS were to somehow agree to greenlight a Switch-exclusive game, I don't see why Nintendo/Retro would choose to work on Banjo instead of an IP that is 100% Nintendo owned like Donkey Kong. It simply makes no sense when viewed from a business point of view, rather than a rabid Banjo fanboy point of view.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I am pretty sure the last couple pages were just being talked about hypothetically. Like what possibilities there were if it could happen.

Why would Nintendo or Sakurai assume this is a "once in a lifetime opportunity"? And even if it is, why should they care?

I think a lot of the Banjo fanbase in the Smash scene make the mistake of assuming/hoping/praying that everyone at Nintendo are diehard Banjo fanboys who are just chomping at the bit to save BK from obscurity just as much as the Banjo fanbase are. There's absolutely no evidence to support this assumption, and a lot of reason to think that the business side of Nintendo, at minimum, will treat Banjo in a coldly rational manner. If they make business sense to include, they'll be in; if not, Nintendo will look elsewhere. This goes for Ultimate DLC, the next Smash game, and anything else.

Same goes for the talk about Nintendo or Retro working on a Banjo game from a few pages back. There is negative reason to assume that either would work on multiplatform Banjo game (which is presumably how Microsoft would handle a hypothetical BK revival), and even if MS were to somehow agree to greenlight a Switch-exclusive game, I don't see why Nintendo/Retro would choose to work on Banjo instead of an IP that is 100% Nintendo owned like Donkey Kong. It simply makes no sense when viewed from a business point of view, rather than a rabid Banjo fanboy point of view.
I think something important to keep in mind is, what would the Smash community be happier with? A character who “makes more business sense,” or a beloved Nintendo character that they’ve been asking for for years? Just because Steve is the more financially successful character doesn’t somehow mean he’s the better choice. Nintendo would have nothing if it weren’t for the fans, and the majority of Smash fans have been very vocal about wanting Banjo since the Melee days. Finally having the opportunity but passing it up would be a huge middle finger to their fans. It would be a bad business move in a whole different way

Last edited:

hinode

Smash Cadet
As someone with a strong kneejerk bias against Minecraft characters on purely aesthetic grounds, I most certainly am not convinced that Steve "makes more business sense" than Banjo (or anyone, except for the really niche picks that the Smash community sometimes get weirdly obsessed with) right now. That's not what I'm arguing, so please don't put words in my mouth on that front.

I'm just saying that any line of thought that assumes Nintendo's decision makers are a bunch of diehard Banjo fanboys needs a cold shower. There is a less than 1% chance of that being the case, and frankly I don't think Banjo's chances of making it into Smash depend on it right now (whereas the chances of Nintendo actually developing a Banjo game themselves probably do).

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

While you're right in most of all that, your logic then implies that every single character decision made for Smash has been done in favor of business and not a single character has been put due to fan desire. That logic is flawed at this point. Fan desire has been met multiple times because they know that create sales. If there is enough fan demand, it will be a win win situation for both business and fans. And let's not get into relevancy, because we have clearly gotten fan desired characters that are not relevant to this day and that still didn't stop them from being added.

As someone with a strong kneejerk bias against Minecraft characters on purely aesthetic grounds, I most certainly am not convinced that Steve "makes more business sense" than Banjo (or anyone, except for the really niche picks that the Smash community sometimes get weirdly obsessed with) right now. That's not what I'm arguing, so please don't put words in my mouth on that front.

I'm just saying that any line of thought that assumes Nintendo's decision makers are a bunch of diehard Banjo fanboys needs a cold shower. There is a less than 1% chance of that being the case, and frankly I don't think Banjo's chances of making it into Smash depend on it right now (whereas the chances of Nintendo actually developing a Banjo game themselves probably do).
That’s fair to say, however I do believe they’re aware of Nintendo fans’ love for the series, as well as Rare games in general, and are likely open to capitalizing off of that, especially when they’re currently so buddy-buddy with Microsoft. Not to mention all the 90s nostalgia going on right now, they’d be crazy not to capitalize off of the opportunity.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Sakurai admitted that basically every newcomer in Ultimate so far was because of some sort of heavy fan demand. Even Isabelle was considered to be a hard core fan base pick. The only character maybe not considered is Incineroar because a Pokemon newcomer is always required.

We have no clue how the rest of the DLC is gonna go yet. Because even Joker is a real odd ball choice. He hasn't had the largest fan begging compared to other fanbases. And from a business standpoint (and from what we have seen so far) Nintendo is really getting nothing back in return from it. There is still no announced Persona 5 switch port, and I highly doubt very many people bought the fighter pass because Joker was all they needed to convince them.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

I mean it's not like King K. Rool didn't make too much sense either and Nintendo didn't think he was all that important post buyout ,But here we are because of fan demand.

I think everyone here is aware that Retro Studios is a 1st Party Studio for Nintendo and making a Banjo-Kazooie game is a pipe dream, Not sure why random people keep on bringing up "It will never happen".

Keep in mind that we are aware of that, It's just fans having fun daydreaming about the possibility and just saying "How it would be cool", No need to take it seriously.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
The most widely requested characters of the last 15 or so years were K. Rool and Ridley, and they were used as among the biggest selling points for the new game.

Mega Man was long-dead and irrelevant, not even in Capcom's top 3 IPs at the time of his inclusion.

Castlevania hasn't been a strong IP for years.

Fan. Demand. Matters.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Not on topic to the overall discussions but I need to share... my fiance isnt a big gamer she play's some games here and there, she loves Kingdom Hearts and some of the Final Fantasy games.. she never had gaming system's growing up, she's been playing Banjo-Kazooie over the past couple days and I just heard her start it up now.. I couldn't be happier

Well...not always.

See: Geno and Isaac
To be fair, Geno and Isaac aren’t exactly important characters compared to the likes of K Rool, Ridley, Simon Belmont, etc. Geno is a one-off character from a spin-off game, Isaac only had a few fairly popular GBA/DS games. Banjo on the other hand was basically one of Nintendo’s icons during the N64 era. He falls more in line with the likes of K Rool and Ridley than Isaac and Geno

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
To be fair, Geno and Isaac aren’t exactly important characters compared to the likes of K Rool, Ridley, Simon Belmont, etc. Geno is a one-off character from a spin-off game, Isaac only had a few fairly popular GBA/DS games. Banjo on the other hand was basically one of Nintendo’s icons during the N64 era. He falls more in line with the likes of K Rool and Ridley than Isaac and Geno
I still feel bad big time for the Issac and Geno fans. They've been pining for their inclusion as long as we have Banjo & Kazooie. Hopefully they'll get what they want in a future Smash Bros. I just hope we don't have to wait that long to get our bear and bird back. Everything's been falling into place recently for their inclusion and if they don't make it in this time, who knows if they'll make it for a future inclusion if the relationship between Nintendo and Microsoft dwindles.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Well...not always.

Well unlike those 2 , King K. Rool and Ridley are big characters and main antagonist from major franchises in Donkey Kong and Metroid, So you can see why they were a top priority.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
One thing Banjo definitely has over Isaac at this point: Microsoft does acknowledge Banjo-Kazooie more than Nintendo does with Golden Sun. You certainly don't see Nintendo making plush dolls, TOTAKU/First 4 Figures figurines (or amiibos!), and even license plates of Isaac.

You even got Banjo & Kazooie (abeit in their N&B forms) appearing in Game Pass ads:

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Well...not always.

Fan demand got BOTH in. Just not as playable characters.

Isaac was never as big as K. Rool or Ridley. So the limited number of newcomers meant he was very unlikely for this game and would never take priority over them.

Geno's been acknowledged in two Smash games now. A character who's otherwise been dead for over 20 years. Even when it came to adding a Final Fantasy character, Sakurai chose the most popular request.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
One thing Banjo definitely has over Isaac at this point: Microsoft does acknowledge Banjo-Kazooie more than Nintendo does with Golden Sun. You certainly don't see Nintendo making plush dolls, TOTAKU/First 4 Figures figurines, and even license plates of Isaac.

You even got Banjo & Kazooie (abeit in their N&B forms) appearing in Game Pass ads:

Even though both franchises are in hibernation right now, Banjo-Kazooie were always a bigger name and franchise than Isaac/Golden Sun, Rare was a legendary developer and Nintendo's Right hand studio back in their prime, while Camelot Software is mainly known for developing the Mario Tennis and Golf series.

If you were old enough to be around the N64 era, They were marketed and promoted pretty heavily near the same level as other major franchises such as Mario, Donkey Kong and Pokemon, VHS tapes were sent out before the game was released, Advertised on store cardboard displays, They were on the front cover of Nintendo Power a couple of times, Their also Rare's biggest original IP.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
MegaMan also had a comic during 2011(while Smash 4 was in full development). Castlevania is quite alive via the animation and the Pachinko games. Neither franchise were "irrelevant" when they first got content in reality. They were in active use during that time. Just because the current usage of the franchise wasn't liked by some fans doesn't mean they were irrelevant regardless. We don't have any legitimate examples of an inactive 3rd party franchise when it was added among the playable characters(an important distinction. Some of the MIi costumes were from inactive franchises, which while it kind of makes the character playable, it's not the same thing. Ryu, Pac-Man, MegaMan, Bayonetta, etc. were all full playable characters and all from in-use franchises during that time). "Just having games" is not how a franchise works. A huge amount of franchises in Smash alone are more than games now. Manga, Comics, Cartoons, Anime, Movies, all kind of Toys, and so on. That's a huge part of what keeps them active. MegaMan definitely had some moments of inactivity, it just wasn't during Smash 4's development cycle. See down below why toting the whole relevancy as an argument for or against Banjo & Kazooie is meaningless, though.

Every 3rd party when added was an active franchise in some way during their first addition(that is, added during development. Veteran 3rd parties don't count for what I'm referring to). But this doesn't really matter as relevancy is only an official factor for 1st(and 2nd) party franchises at best, as well as can affect 1st/2nd party playable representation(outside of Mii costumes). And that's ignoring Retros, of course. Or surprise characters. Though incidentally, the surprise characters who weren't Retros were also fully active during that time with their franchise. There's little point in bringing it up for B&K, however. There's no example of a 3rd party character being made straight playable(during development time) while their franchise was completely inactive. There's also no reason to believe it was ever a requirement either, despite the pattern implying so. Not when Sakurai's statements don't suggest relevancy to mean much beyond very specific situations(which all are not 3rd party ones). If he did somehow care about a franchise having some activity, B&K could still get in anyway. Things like Rare Replay absolutely count. The franchise is being used, even if it's not new games or any kind of new forms of media/works. Simply re-releases is enough alone. Sure, Pac-Man was active outside of that(not just Ghostly Adventures, but the design people associate with it was used for other games before the cartoon came along, but it was still getting consistent re-releases of the original arcade game, keeping it consistently active for people to see). Though I won't say constant re-releases is necessarily a case for relevancy either, but it seems like it's keeping the franchise going anyway.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
To be fair...Mega Man and Castlevania did technically have new installments by the time they were added to their respective Smash game.

Time when Smash 4 finalized its roster: Early 2012
Lastest Mega Man game up to that point: Mega Man 10 (March 2010)

Time when Ultimate finalized its roster: Early 2016
Latest Castlevania game up to that point: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (Febuary 2014)

Time when Ultimate finalized its DLC selection: late 2018 (presumably)
Latest Banjo-Kazooie game up to that point: Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (November 2008)

...oh dear

But who knows, maybe it's something Sakurai will look past if he wanted to.

Last edited:
Top Bottom