• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Hello Bird'n'Bear supporters ! I'm coming from the Geno thread to wish you good luck for DLC.

I don't think it's impossible for the duo to make it in , but it seem pretty hard. I'm not going to bother you with Steve ( I know how annoying it could be to talk about direct competitors to your character again and again ) but something tell me they'll be the last DLC. It's more of a gut feeling than anything else tho.

Good luck !

volbound1700

Smash Master
I got another one from you, what if we got Yooka-Laylee instead of Banjo-Kazooie?

I maybe playing too much Brawlout lol

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I have been playing Yooka-Laylee on the Switch lately and it feels like classic Rare. It has helped get some closure to Rare leaving Nintendo (Timesplitters helped from a Rare FPS point of view) and I hope Playtonic makes more games for the Switch.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I have been meaning to play Yooka-Laylee, But as characters they can never replace Banjo-Kazooie, In my opinion a 3rd Party Newcomer has to have legacy and have made a name for themeselves, Banjo-Kazooie is 20 years old and was one of the icons for the N64 era who could stand toe to toe with Mario and even surpass him platforming wise on the system , Yooka-Laylee is an indie character who has only had 1 game and has only exisited for a little over a year, Brawlout is perfect for an indie showcase for fighters such as Yooka-Laylee, Shovel Knight and Shantae who aren't at the same level of status of other bigger characters for Smash, Legal issues aside I would be kind of pissed if they made it in just because their based off of their "Spiritual Predecessor's" legacy (Banjo-Kazooie)

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I'd be fine with Yooka Laylee joining instead of Banjo. Yooka is Banjo basically now since Microsoft won't use the series and Playtonic doesn't have the rights. I'd prefer the original sure but the new duo is fine by me.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd be fine with Yooka Laylee joining instead of Banjo. Yooka is Banjo basically now since Microsoft won't use the series and Playtonic doesn't have the rights. I'd prefer the original sure but the new duo is fine by me.
The downside is that people probably won't be as keen to support them, unless their game gets a sequel that improves on the design aspects that people have
criticized on. Or the chances for B-K getting in become lower than infinitesimal. :ohwell: Although I wouldn't mind much, it'd be the closest we ever get to having Chameleon Twist in Smash Bros.

Bestest case scenario is if we could somehow get both.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Yooka Laylee is a fun game, with some flaws imo. I thoroughly enjoyed it (and played it to 100%), and while I'd like Yooka & Laylee as DLC, I'd be a little sad that it wasn't Banjo & Kazooie. That said, I'd love them over a lot of the other random names being thrown around, so I wouldn't be upset.

Hello Bird'n'Bear supporters ! I'm coming from the Geno thread to wish you good luck for DLC.

I don't think it's impossible for the duo to make it in , but it seem pretty hard. I'm not going to bother you with Steve ( I know how annoying it could be to talk about direct competitors to your character again and again ) but something tell me they'll be the last DLC. It's more of a gut feeling than anything else tho.

Good luck !
Good luck with Geno too! I don't think a spirit / player tile deconfirms him, and the general stance is that Square is going to get some other character, so who knows! Geno and Banjo are kind of both in the "great characters from old and forgotten franchises that started on Nintendo that their company of ownership no longer cares about" boat. Hopefully they both get a ticket to Smash, even if both of their chances aren't the best.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yooka Laylee is a fun game, with some flaws imo. I thoroughly enjoyed it (and played it to 100%), and while I'd like Yooka & Laylee as DLC, I'd be a little sad that it wasn't Banjo & Kazooie. That said, I'd love them over a lot of the other random names being thrown around, so I wouldn't be upset.
Fun fact: the Switch version is the best of the lot aside the PC version, as Team 17 messed up the PS4 and Xbone versions, which needed patching as a result.

Y-K's biggest competition in terms of Smash demand (apart from the Indie big 4 of SK, Shantae, Marisa and Quote) will be Hat Kid, seeing as their fandoms sadly got nasty towards each other as their games came out...

Rigumaro

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't like Yooka & Laylee in Smash, I think. I backed the project on kickstarter the first day, but then I still haven't played more than 40 minutes of it. It's sitting on my Switch and I can't get myself to play it. It gives me such a weird, wrong feeling. Like I didn't enjoy it, and everything felt uninspired and lacking detail. Some people say "People don't like it because they grew up and no longer like the collectathon and 3d platforming genre". But that's not true. I really enjoyed Mario Odyssey, and I replayed B&K like 2 years ago and had fun with it. Also, it doesn't help that I don't like much the design of the main characters.

Of course I'm glad other people love Y&L, and I wish I did too, but I can't help it.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Good luck with Geno too! I don't think a spirit / player tile deconfirms him, and the general stance is that Square is going to get some other character, so who knows! Geno and Banjo are kind of both in the "great characters from old and forgotten franchises that started on Nintendo that their company of ownership no longer cares about" boat. Hopefully they both get a ticket to Smash, even if both of their chances aren't the best.
Thank you !

I'm pretty confident with Geno's chance , the other square rep has several big issues if they want to get in Smash (Dragon quest lack international appeal , no request , no mainline DQ game on switch except DQ 10 in Japan, and is splited within Square , Armor project and a music compositer. Sora doesn't had a single KH game exclusively on a Nintendo console , no plan of porting KH3 to the switch , Disney , basically he'll sell but he'll promote a franchise wich is mainly on a competitor's console. And heck , I don't know a lot of KH fans with a PS4 , a switch , and Smash...) and he's the easiest character to get + several other stuff.

Anyway , I won't go too much off-topic. Banjo and Kazooie could be a good "break the internet" kind of announcement , unexcpected because of several legal issues , but beloved by so many that he'll basically get a revival if he's in Smash. Also , I still don't understand the people that think he can be a echo of DH... Like , would his down-b still be making him call a pixelated mexican to shoot at his opponent ? Would be hilarious , but I'm not buying it lol

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Thank you !

I'm pretty confident with Geno's chance , the other square rep has several big issues if they want to get in Smash (Dragon quest lack international appeal , no request , no mainline DQ game on switch except DQ 10 in Japan, and is splited within Square , Armor project and a music compositer. Sora doesn't had a single KH game exclusively on a Nintendo console , no plan of porting KH3 to the switch , Disney , basically he'll sell but he'll promote a franchise wich is mainly on a competitor's console. And heck , I don't know a lot of KH fans with a PS4 , a switch , and Smash...) and he's the easiest character to get + several other stuff.

Anyway , I won't go too much off-topic. Banjo and Kazooie could be a good "break the internet" kind of announcement , unexcpected because of several legal issues , but beloved by so many that he'll basically get a revival if he's in Smash. Also , I still don't understand the people that think he can be a echo of DH... Like , would his down-b still be making him call a pixelated mexican to shoot at his opponent ? Would be hilarious , but I'm not buying it lol
It'd clearly be a Jinjo. And neutral B would be a Kazooie egg. Kidding. I don't think Nintendo would make him an Echo if they managed to work a deal, so we don't have to worry about that, but if my options are Duck Hunt Echo or nothing, I choose DH all day.

As for Square, I like Geno and Sora, so I personally wouldn't mind either. For the sake of the General voice and fandom I hope Geno makes it since he's been teased and toyed with for a while.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I really don’t think Banjo’s chances are that slim, honestly if it weren’t for insiders siding with Steve (slightly siding in Verge’s case) I’d say their chances were very good in fact.

It’s not even close to over

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I really don’t think Banjo’s chances are that slim, honestly if it weren’t for insiders siding with Steve (slightly siding in Verge’s case) I’d say their chances were very good in fact.

It’s not even close to over
I guess it's that that I'm worried about. I'm not one to immediately believe leakers, but Verge was correct towards a lot of the leadup to the final direct. I haven't really put much belief into Hitagi yet though.

I also think that Steve alone doesn't immediately mean Banjo can't make it as well. *shrug*. Wishful thinking perhaps, should Steve be announced first.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I guess it's that that I'm worried about. I'm not one to immediately believe leakers, but Verge was correct towards a lot of the leadup to the final direct. I haven't really put much belief into Hitagi yet though.

I also think that Steve alone doesn't immediately mean Banjo can't make it as well. *shrug*. Wishful thinking perhaps, should Steve be announced first.
Verge isn't perfect in regards to sources either, seeing as he thought DK would get no new characters and mistakenly believed Isabelle to be an Echo. Only time will tell how much they've said is actually true.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I got another one from you, what if we got Yooka-Laylee instead of Banjo-Kazooie?

I maybe playing too much Brawlout lol
I'm almost done with the game, I have to admit it pales in comparison to the Banjo games. stages are too big and uselessly decorated instead of being more dense with recognizable landmarks. But the characteres are great. I even like some of them more than their Banjo counterparts, like Laylee seems more charming than Kazooie to me, and Trowzer definitely beats boring old bottles in my book.

I don't know if the duo has reached superstar icon levels or iron clad relationship with nintendo, which I consider the criteria 3rd parties should make before joining the roster. But if by some weird twist of fate they made it in, I would be fine with it.

Ah, so I wasn't crazy. It's weird that I had such trouble finding this info on my own.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Acidental double post when I meant to edit, disregard.
Quick question: if you reply to a comment, and then reply to another comment right afterwards, but not in the same comment as the first, does that count as double-posting? Because I got a message saying that I had double-posted, but I had only replied to two different comments (and even then, I hadn't combined the two responses).

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Verge isn't perfect in regards to sources either, seeing as he thought DK would get no new characters and mistakenly believed Isabelle to be an Echo. Only time will tell how much they've said is actually true.
Verge said one of his sources said no new DK characters and that he personally didn't believe it, which is why he didn't release that information. Also I believe he said another source wasn't sure about Isabelle being an echo, but I don't have that one locked in memory. Either way, that'd be understandable mistake.

Please, please, please, everyone verify information for yourself so that we don't have these misconceptions going around.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Quick question: if you reply to a comment, and then reply to another comment right afterwards, but not in the same comment as the first, does that count as double-posting? Because I got a message saying that I had double-posted, but I had only replied to two different comments (and even then, I hadn't combined the two responses).
Yep, that would be double-posting.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Yes. I have been flagged twice with it. I had a lot of comments towards me that were coming from different angles and would respond to one and see the other and respond right away. Got me flagged.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I've had some too. Seems like they're just warnings and the points go away, I didn't put much thought into it.

I wonder when we'll get the first DLC announcement. Maybe January / February when Piranha Plant gets released?

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
The one thing Yooka Laylee has over Banjo Kazooie is that they are both useful and actually feel like a team with their own unique abilities whereas, with Banjo, Kazooie is doing most of the work.

As much as I love Yooka Laylee, the only way I would accept them is if Playtonic was working with Nintendo with something or they bought them. Otherwise, the duo still has a lot to prove. I really hope Playtonic can knock it out of the park with their next game as I want to see them succeed.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I've had some too. Seems like they're just warnings and the points go away, I didn't put much thought into it.

I wonder when we'll get the first DLC announcement. Maybe January / February when Piranha Plant gets released?
That seems reasonable, otherwise we'll be left in the dark until at least Spring. Also, the blog will definitely run out of characters to cover by then.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
If they wanted to stick with making it a mystery for the DLC characters, seems like they should have at least shown / teased the first one so people have an idea on what to expect. Even if half of them end up advertisement characters (honestly I don't expect more than 1, maybe 2 though), having a good first one to get people hyped makes sense. So I'm hoping they reveal the first one sort of close to release date of the game, personally.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
He's not one included in the 5, so I'm not really counting him. He's not being packaged, associated, or sold alongside the Fighter Pass. There's no indication that he is at all reflective of the type of content that is in the Fighter Pass, and he doesn't have Music or a Stage.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
how credible are they?
Source Gaming is a group that translates original Japanese sources for the English speaking side of the internet.

Nintenjex successfully predicted most of the Smash base roster post E3 and his two choices that have not been confirmed are still likely DLC candidates (Elderek and Elma).

Nintenjex also think Steve and Bandana Waddle Dee or likely DLC

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Source Gaming is a group that translates original Japanese sources for the English speaking side of the internet.

Nintenjex successfully predicted most of the Smash base roster post E3 and his two choices that have not been confirmed are still likely DLC candidates (Elderek and Elma).

Nintenjex also think Steve and Bandana Waddle Dee or likely DLC
I'll take this with a salt mine for now, but if he gets this right, he's one lucky son of a gun and will have won the Internet.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Nintenjex is a very level-headed realistic predictor who along with PushDustIn PushDustIn were big backers of the now correct Box Theory.

Nintenjex thinks Steve will help Nintendo open the door for Banjo who would be the big third party popular choice this cycle.

It makes a lot of sense when you think about it, especially if the roster was decided during ballot era.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Heh if were getting both Banjo and Steve. That's a plus to everyone that wants them both. Couldn't argue with that.

Khandoit

Smash Cadet
Nintenjex is a very level-headed realistic predictor who along with PushDustIn PushDustIn were big backers of the now correct Box Theory.

Nintenjex thinks Steve will help Nintendo open the door for Banjo who would be the big third party popular choice this cycle.

It makes a lot of sense when you think about it, especially if the roster was decided during ballot era.

So he is a predictor NOT a leaker right?

These are just educated guesses on their part?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I would be more than fine with this outcome, if it can help disprove the Katalina nonsense. That said, I'm in the mood to make a few new Grunty codecs:

:ultincineroar:: A muscled wrestler that fights dirty, that's my kind of cat! Because that useless Piddles isn't all that.
:ultken:: How disappointing, you're just a shotoclone. At least Ryu will no longer be alone.
:ultpiranha:: Are you kiddin'? Now they're just letting anyone in! I can't see this plant put on a show, he'd look far better on an open window.

Rigumaro

Smash Apprentice
I don't think "Smash prediction expert" is a valid title. I don't think his word is guarantee of anything. Anyone can get lucky. Also, Elma was confirmed as a Spirit, apparently.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I would be more than fine with this outcome, if it can help disprove the Katalina nonsense. That said, I'm in the mood to make a few new Grunty codecs:

:ultincineroar:: A muscled wrestler that fights dirty, that's my kind of cat! Because that useless Piddles isn't all that.
:ultken:: How disappointing, you're just a shotoclone. At least Ryu will no longer be alone.
:ultpiranha:: Are you kiddin'? Now they're just letting anyone in! I can't see this plant put on a show, he'd look far better on an open window.
A Grunty codec where she trash talks the fighters in rhyme would be absolute gold

Top Bottom