• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

osby

Smash Obsessed
Banjo & Kazooie have such a unique aesthetic compared to practically everyone else in the Smash Roster, the fact that they haven't been included in Smash thus far has been a crime in and of itself. Despite not being on a Nintendo console in over ten years, they look and feel more like Nintendo characters than most of the third-party choices (Snake, Cloud, Bayonetta, even Simon). I really truly hope they'll eventually get in as DLC. But I won't get my hopes up again, if they don't get in, it just wasn't meant to be.

That said, I'm grateful to see so many people still want them in and to see that I'm not a minority in that manner. Also to have made friends with you all! Thanks for keeping this old N64 vet's hopes alive <3
I appreciate your enthusiasm but am I the only one who thinks the look and feel of a Nintendo character is subjective? It just sounds like a indirect way of saying cartoony.

Rigumaro

Smash Apprentice
Characters from the same franchise looks more similar than characters from different franchises? Shocking. You should join our physics lab team, you are great at forming control groups.
But that's exactly what I'm complaining about, that the characters from the same franchise look so similar.

Simon and Richter are from the same franchise, and despite of them being echoes, they don't look nearly as similar.

osby

Smash Obsessed
But that's exactly what I'm complaining about, that the characters from the same franchise look so similar.

Simon and Richter are from the same franchise, and despite of them being echoes, they don't look nearly as similar.
I also think Ike and Marth look nothing alike except their hair colors, but each to their own I guess.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I appreciate your enthusiasm but am I the only one who thinks the look and feel of a Nintendo character is subjective? It just sounds like a indirect way of saying cartoony.
Well as an animator/cartoonist, I appreciate the more cartoony characters over the more 'anime'-inspired characters, but to each their own. In a game like Smash with so many conflicting but interesting styles, there are bound to be characters people prefer over others. With a pair of characters like Banjo & Kazooie in the mix, it just adds to the zaniness of the game.

Rigumaro

Smash Apprentice
I also think Ike and Marth look nothing alike except their hair colors, but each to their own I guess.
FE.jpg

Don't they?
I mean, if you're a fan of the series I might understand you not seeing it. But just try to imagine what anyone who has never played the games thinks when they see this. To me it looks like the same character, except maybe 2 years apart in time. Just look at their faces.

Also, apologies for going off-topic.

osby

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 178900

Don't they?
I mean, if you're a fan of the series I might understand you not seeing it. But just try to imagine what anyone who has never played the games thinks when they see this. To me it looks like the same character, except maybe 2 years apart in time. Just look at their faces.

Also, apologies for going off-topic.
Just look at their bodies. They carry themselves very differently (Marth is dainty, Ike is a lot less elegant), their color schemes are pretty different (especially on their capes, which is obvious) and they have different swords. Not to mention Ike literally have two ages, 2 years apart in time.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
If you watch those "my parents try to name every smash character" videos on youtube there is a trend for there parents to say there are to many blue haired swordsman or there are so many swordsmen or they all look the same lol

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I personally think that Ike and Marth look and play different enough, but Girl Marth, Daddy Marth, and Fire Marth all look pretty similar to Marth. This is in no way a knock to Fire Emblem, I liked all of the games I played from it (which is just about all except the 2 newest).

I personally don't have a problem with anime swordsman either, as long as they play differently. I would rather aesthetically different characters to get in to make the game as unique looking as possible, but I've never been upset at the addition of any character so far.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I personally think that Ike and Marth look and play different enough, but Girl Marth, Daddy Marth, and Fire Marth all look pretty similar to Marth. This is in no way a knock to Fire Emblem, I liked all of the games I played from it (which is just about all except the 2 newest).

I personally don't have a problem with anime swordsman either, as long as they play differently. I would rather aesthetically different characters to get in to make the game as unique looking as possible, but I've never been upset at the addition of any character so far.
I guess. I don't think it's weird for clones to look alike.

Rigumaro

Smash Apprentice
Just look at their bodies. They carry themselves very differently (Marth is dainty, Ike is a lot less elegant), their color schemes are pretty different (especially on their capes, which is obvious) and they have different swords. Not to mention Ike literally have two ages, 2 years apart in time.
Yeah, exactly. That's my problem with anime-style. Since the characters themselves are too similar due to following the artstyle so closely, they have to rely on having accentuate or exaggerate their clothing or weapons, because the characters themselves aren't distinct enough.

I'm not a fan of Fire Emblem, but I respect it. I'm not saying them or any other jrpg/anime characters are not worthy of Smash representation or anything. I'm just saying that I personally find them uninspired and uninteresting, visually speaking. And therefore I'd prefer other characters over them. It's just my subjective opinion.

About how they play, I agree with okamifire okamifire , I don't mind ones like Robin or Corrin. As long as they play different enough, I'll enjoy them (I have criticized Ike for the artstyle, but he was actually one of my mains back in Brawl). But having Marth + 3 Pseudo Marths is too much for my taste.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, exactly. That's my problem with anime-style. Since the characters themselves are too similar due to following the artstyle so closely, they have to rely on having accentuate or exaggerate their clothing or weapons, because the characters themselves aren't distinct enough.

I'm not a fan of Fire Emblem, but I respect it. I'm not saying them or any other jrpg/anime characters are not worthy of Smash representation or anything. I'm just saying that I personally find them uninspired and uninteresting, visually speaking. And therefore I'd prefer other characters over them. It's just my subjective opinion.

About how they play, I agree with okamifire okamifire , I don't mind ones like Robin or Corrin. As long as they play different enough, I'll enjoy them (I have criticized Ike for the artstyle, but he was actually one of my mains back in Brawl). But having Marth + 3 Pseudo Marths is too much for my taste.
I vastly prefer Marth and three different characters who kinda look like him to plain three Links and Mario in two outfits but let's agree to disagree.

EDIT: Also all four of them have different faces and Lucina is literally designed to look like Marth, so I don't think your not distinct enough argument is fair.

Last edited:

Rigumaro

Smash Apprentice
I vastly prefer Marth and three different characters who kinda look like him to plain three Links and Mario in two outfits but let's agree to disagree.
Oh no, I think we actually agree there. I also do not like Dr. Mario and Young Link (Toon Link I'm slightly ok with, though). Although the one I dislike the most is Dark Pit.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, & Lucina should've been alts to Mario, Pit, & Marth like the Koopalings & Alph to Bowser Jr. & Olimar. I don't mind Young Link and Toon Link though since they all now look and play different to Breath of the Wild Link. Also, they now represent three different eras of the Legend of Zelda series. And Luigi has grown quite a bit as a character since the days of just being a tall green Mario clone in 64. And of the 'Marth clones' Roy is who I like and don't mind the most since he has flame attacks and was a Melee vet.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I like the gameplay of all of the Fire Emblem characters and of the Top 10 characters I played in Wii U, I'd say Marth, Roy, and Lucina were up there. I wouldn't, however, be upset if one or two of them were cut. Ultimately I have no real problems with any addition. They're all from different games and have their own fan followings. It's probably easier for the dev team to make them than entirely new fighters, so I can see their benefits.

I haven't played Kid Icarus, but Dark Pit also seems like the biggest letdown. Other than the speed of the arrows and trajectory of the forward B, I'm not sure there's anything different about them. Other than the edginess.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well in that case, the Koopalings and Alph should all be promoted to Echoes as well ^^
  1. I heavily doubt you can add 7 echoes of one character
  2. Can you even make a clone of Olimar? I like Alph but I think they left him as an alt because the moveset was too complicated.
Also love how you can't open any debate in Smashboards without it turning into complaining about Fire Emblem and clones.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I think that Sakurai does whatever he wants with whatever character he wants. Dr. Mario isn't an echo despite having most of the same moves as Mario with about the same differences as Marth vs. Lucina. Chrom is a Roy echo despite having some different moves, among others. *shrug*

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think that Sakurai does whatever he wants with whatever character he wants. Dr. Mario isn't an echo despite having most of the same moves as Mario with about the same differences as Marth vs. Lucina. Chrom is a Roy echo despite having some different moves, among others. *shrug*
About same differences? Come on now, we at least know he has a different throw, an aerial and a special.

squirtgar

Smash Apprentice
Also on a side note I think if verg. Is right and we get a new square rep and Microsoft it is possible (albeit unlikely because of gone) that the square rep is Chrono. With Chrono trigger being on steam and all.

As far as banjo is concerned, I think if there is litterally no official talk about him at this point, in my mind his chances of being a surprise announcement go up.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I think unless something deconfirms Banjo, like positive confirmation of all 5, I'm going to hold onto my hopes for Banjo until the very end.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I’m starting to feel pretty good about his chances lately.

Also happy 6,500 posts Banjo-Roos!

dlewis53

Smash Lord
For me personally, I never really cared for the whole "too many anime swordsmen" complaint or even just the general "too many swordsman" complaint; I've always cared more about how a character plays and feels unique compared to others, and with the exception of the Echo Fighters (Lucina and Chrom), and (possibly) Young Link, all the swordsmen play differently from each other. Heck, this belief of mine is why I"m not really a big fan of the Echo Fighters in general and why I'm still not really sure about Isabelle.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
As long as Banjo & Kazooie eventually get in, I'll be very happy with this roster. Every Smash veteran to ever return along with the likes of Ridley, King K. Rool, Simon Belmont, & Inkling? Not too shabby.

Rigumaro

Smash Apprentice
Also on a side note I think if verg. Is right and we get a new square rep and Microsoft it is possible (albeit unlikely because of gone) that the square rep is Chrono. With Chrono trigger being on steam and all.

As far as banjo is concerned, I think if there is litterally no official talk about him at this point, in my mind his chances of being a surprise announcement go up.
Crono was confirmed being a spirit right? I saw the picture but I didn't find out if it was real or a hoax though.

Rigumaro

Smash Apprentice
Guys, Banjo-Kazooie is nominated at next month's Gamer's Choice Awards in the "Most desired franchise resurrection". It feels like it'd be hard to win over some others, but we all should register and vote! Maybe winning this could be the thing that makes Microsoft finally care and bring Banjo & Kazooie back.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Not Smash related, but here's something important to vote on!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Let it be known that we want Banjo back.

Also hey again, collected my thoughts during my break and I'm ready to jump back in. Banjo still has a great shot at DLC, all things considered.

Did my best to look through the pages I missed to add new supporters to the list, sorry if I missed you, just check and let me know!

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Can we vote?

Edit: never mind I saw the link. Let’s go vote!

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Guys, Banjo-Kazooie is nominated at next month's Gamer's Choice Awards in the "Most desired franchise resurrection". It feels like it'd be hard to win over some others, but we all should register and vote! Maybe winning this could be the thing that makes Microsoft finally care and bring Banjo & Kazooie back.
Voted! No freaking contest. Although Chrono Trigger, F-Zero, Jet Set Radio, Earthbound, and Half-Life are all worthy of a resurrection, but dammit Banjo-Kazooie need it the most and are the ones who I want to see make a comeback the most.

squirtgar

Smash Apprentice
I would vote for banjo but I feel like it would be an xbox exclusive. It would be best if it was on switch tho, mainly because I dont have an xbox.

Top Bottom