• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai invented a new type of fighting game, so I don’t think the fundamentals of Smash will ever change. But yeah, it will be hard to top this one, unless there is a full blown story mode.
I mean he'll keep the core of what the game is, party fighting with percentages, but don't expect the same game you've had for so long. He wants to reboot it.

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
Yeah the fact Banjo-Kazooie has as much support as right now as he does makes me feel this game is the only chance he has to be in Smash. Yooka-Laylee had the hypest Kickstarter of 2015 right when the ballots were open and Phil made his first tweet that really made people think it was possible at the same time.

I had a conversation on another forum with a user from Japan debating Sega Saturn vs N64 popularity in Japan, and their evidence towards N64 being more popular was the number of N64 games you find being sold in retail stores and websites like Buzzfeed Japan exploiting N64 nostalgia for clicks, usually featuring Nintendo and Rareware games including Banjo. Not that you should support buzzfeed or anything but the fact they try to exploit N64 popularity for clicks is good proof N64 is hot in Japan right now just like it is here. N64 not being popular in Japan is a myth as a lot of my N64 correspondence are from there and I talk to Japanese Let's Players who love obscure N64 games on a regular basis.

If you type バンジョーとカズーイ(Banjo-Kazooie) into google, the 2nd result is バンジョーとカズーイ スマブラ (Banjo Kazooie Smash Brothers). If you go through every result you can see so many lists with Banjo and Kazooie on them as a popular vote. It makes me happy they are so wanted around the world, so I know Sakurai has to be considering. It's just a matter of time before we find out if Banjo fans finally get salvation or if they'll just be disappointed as usual.

https://translate.google.com/transl...ttps://www32.atwiki.jp/mahoroa/pages/395.html

For example, check out Atwiki's very long Banjo analysis. Atwiki is essentially of the same relevance of a site like gamefaqs for us English users.

Also I want one of their taunts to be Kazooie honking her Kazoo as annoyingly as possible so I can spam it all the time like Lemmy's laughing taunt on Bowser Jr.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I feel the same way actually, it feels kind of removed from the duo. Though, it makes sense when compared to Ridley and K Rool's final smashes. I'm not sure what would be a suitable alternative--I think turning into Dragon Kazooie would be the best, but we don't have transformational final smashes. So I think the next best would be Wonderwing, as I could see that happening (you can also have that jingle that plays). Perhaps some of my bias comes from the fact as a kid I only got to Rusty Bucket Bay and didn't complete the game until much later--I saw Grunty's castle in ad shots, so it was a bit mysterious to me--the Jinjonator kind of comes out of nowhere. It would be nice to see Jinjos incorporated into the game somehow. The great thing about Banjo is that there are so many great possibilities, for moves, final smashes--he's the prototypical character that has yet to be in Smash.
Why not split the difference and, get this, have the FS start with Kazooie turning into a dragon, hitting the nearest opponent with her breath, which launches them into a cutscene in which Banjo turns into a t-rex and proceeds to stomp them.

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
Looking a little further into atwiki they had a top 20 popular guest character vote in 2015 for the next Smash game

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www32.atwiki.jp/mahoroa/pages/391.html

Banjo-Kazooie were number 17, but almost all the characters above them are already in the game like Ryu, Snake, Cloud, Sonic and Megaman etc. while others are characters like Knuckles, Shadow, Chocobo, Amaterasu, Dragon Quest Slime, the main character from Adventure Island on NES, an other characters that are more Japanese oriented like Monster Hunter and Ryo from Shenmue. Take that with a grain of salt because I don't know how many voters there were, but with 300,000 viewers it seems to be a popular poll. Maybe I'm reading onto it too much because I want Banjo so bad, but I'd like to think Banjo has a higher chance than a lot of those characters because Banjo has more International appeal and was published by Nintendo.

It's hard for me to believe Dragon Quest Slime and Chocobo were serious responses but it's a different culture I guess. Geno and Simon weren't even on that list

Sorry I had the wrong link up for like 20 minutes and I found out this poll only had a couple hundred votes, so it's not indicative of much.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I don't care about the next Smash. I'll be well into my 30s by that point and a Smash sequel with cut content would be a downgrade anyway.
Yep, Sakurai said it's unlikely that everyone will return in the future so this is essentially the last Smash Bros. game ever. At least the last one before there will be a massive divide in the fanbase.

This is do or die for Banjo, be it on the base game or as DLC.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Banjo-Kazooie NEED to be in this game for their salvation, I think. It's clear Microsoft has little to no intention of revitalizing the series they bought over a decade ago for some reason and I feel like Smash Bros. and Nintendo is where they truly belong. Even with only a few games from the late 90s to the late 00s under their belt (because Banjo wears a belt lol), they've managed to stay in our collective gamer minds even a decade later without any new games. They need this place on the Smash Bros. roster. It could do for them what it did for Mega Man and possibly give us a new platformer or at least a remastered version of their platformers.

The fact that this game has every Smash Bros. character to ever be in the series along with long-awaited newcomers like Ridley & K. Rool makes me yearn for them even more. If they do manage to get into this game, I will forever be grateful to Sakurai and his team as well as Nintendo and Microsoft for working together to make this dream come true and I do believe this will truly be the ULTIMATE Smash Bros. experience.

Last edited:

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
Banjo-Kazooie NEED to be in this game for their salvation, I think. It's clear Microsoft has little to no intention of revitalizing the series they bought over a decade ago for some reason and I feel like Smash Bros. and Nintendo is where they truly belong. Even with only a few games from the late 90s to the late 00s under their belt (because Banjo wears a belt lol), they've managed to stay in our collective gamer minds even a decade later without any new games. They need this place on the Smash Bros. roster. It could do for them what it did for Mega Man and possibly give us a new platformer or at least a remastered version of their platformers.
I know Banjo fans have had it rough and like to think the series won't get revived, but realistically it will. Battletoads is coming out next year, a series on the same level or debatably less popular than Banjo. Plus multiple official pieces of Banjo merch have been and are set to release this year. I know it can just be seen as cynical merchandising but a new game in the style of what Activision is doing would also work as cynical merchandise. For all we know Phil Spencer's Smash tweet could be a super long con to try and get the character revived for just that reason.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Without a doubt it will get revived at some point, It's Rare's biggest and best IP they have at their disposal, If Killer Instinct and Battletoads can be brought back so can Banjo-Kazooie, But an appearence in Smash will give the franchise a kick in the pants and put a spotlight back on it, That it desperately needs.

Last edited:

Hodin

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai invented a new type of fighting game, so I don’t think the fundamentals of Smash will ever change. But yeah, it will be hard to top this one, unless there is a full blown story mode.
What if we never get another new Smash ever again but they Update ultimate for years to come via DLC. They could even drop different physical versions that include major updates. Imagine we get a new character every other month and every year maybe new modes and story elements. If done correctly ultimate could become a living breathing entity that definitely justifies paying an online Nintendo service. They could even slow roll out new skins for old characters to spice things up, even pull an overwatch and allow for different victory screens/taunts.

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure well get a new smash again unless they do a deluxe port of ultimate to the next system after ultimate & just keep adding to it but I doubt it as sakurai like to make every new smash game from the ground up.

on another note I would like a Smash WiiU port on the switch maybe with custom moves already unlocked as I STILL don't have them all (maybe give dlc characters custom moves too) &/or a smash collection with 64, melee & brawl on it this way the switch has EVERY smash game on the switch but I doubt they would ever do it with how ultimate is. but that's just me

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
If BK gets in, they'll surely bring music with them. What songs would you guys like to see appear in Ultimate? For me it'd personally be Mayahem Temple, Grunty Industries Interior, Gruntilda Boss Battle, Glitter Gulch Mine, a Medley of the different Grunty's Lair hub world songs, Treasure Trove Cove and Mumbo's Mountain.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
If BK gets in, they'll surely bring music with them. What songs would you guys like to see appear in Ultimate?
Considering third parties not called Final Fantasy have upwards of 30+ songs, we could easily have every unique track from the first two games and then some. For remixes in particular, I'd mostly just want all the boss tunes since they're already tailor made for battle.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Considering third parties not called Final Fantasy have upwards of 30+ songs, we could easily have every unique track from the first two games and then some. For remixes in particular, I'd mostly just want all the boss tunes since they're already tailor made for battle.
I still think it's criminal that FF7 has only two songs. Best OST of all time in my opinion. However my own theory crafting is telling me it's because Sephiroth is going to be playable and bring additional music with him. He's really slept on overall because we already have Cloud and everyone is so trained on Geno. But being one of the most iconic villains of all time could mean a lot to being in gaming's greatest crossover.

Of course I think BK deserve to get in first though being all-stars of the N64. I'm just keeping my expectations low for music to be realistic. So I'm only picking my favorites. What stage would you guys all like to see if he has one? Maybe Witchyworld? We don't have a theme park stage yet.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
If BK gets in, they'll surely bring music with them. What songs would you guys like to see appear in Ultimate? For me it'd personally be Mayahem Temple, Grunty Industries Interior, Gruntilda Boss Battle, Glitter Gulch Mine, a Medley of the different Grunty's Lair hub world songs, Treasure Trove Cove and Mumbo's Mountain.
Ideally at least all of these:
Banjo's Main Theme
Spiral Mountain
Freezeezy Peak
Treasure Trove Cove
Glitter Gulch Mine
Jinjo Village
Final Battle (B-K)
Witchyworld
Mumbo's Mountain

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
If Banjo and Kazooie make it, Id really like to see a remix of Mr. Patchs theme. Im not a fan of the Boss themes from Banjo Tooie in general, since theyre all just sped up frantic versions of the song that plays in the level, and end up very samey imo, but Mr. Patchs theme sticks out to me for some reason. He also happens to be one if my favorite bosses from Tooie, so maybe that helps explain why I prefer his theme.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Click Clock Wood is my favorite theme from the Banjo-Kazooie series, so I'd really hope that one makes it in, either as part of a medley, a remix, or original. It's just so hoppy boppy, even if it isn't so action oriented, having it playing during a fight would just make me oh-so happy! In fact, I might prefer it for the reveal trailer over the main B-K theme... but I doubt that'd happen.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
If Banjo and Kazooie make it, Id really like to see a remix of Mr. Patchs theme. Im not a fan of the Boss themes from Banjo Tooie in general, since theyre all just sped up frantic versions of the song that plays in the level, and end up very samey imo, but Mr. Patchs theme sticks out to me for some reason. He also happens to be one if my favorite bosses from Tooie, so maybe that helps explain why I prefer his theme.
Click Clock Wood is my favorite theme from the Banjo-Kazooie series, so I'd really hope that one makes it in, either as part of a medley, a remix, or original. It's just so hoppy boppy, even if it isn't so action oriented, having it playing during a fight would just make me oh-so happy! In fact, I might prefer it for the reveal trailer over the main B-K theme... but I doubt that'd happen.
You both have great tastes, those are my favorite Banjo-Kazooie themes too! They're all terrific from the original two games and even Nuts n' Bolts had some terrific music. Any of them would be terrific in Smash, as would everything else Banjo-Kazooie have to offer to the game with their moveset, personalities, characters, trophies, etc.

StormC

Smash Hero
A Click Clock Wood medley is a fantastic idea.

One thought I had, might have mentioned it in this thread before, is a Grunty's Lair stage that transitions between each of the level lobbies. It would be cool if they set it up so when you transitioned to each lobby, the music for her lair changed to the lobby versions of it each time.

Hobnail Boot

Smash Cadet
Pretty much the entire track listing for BK and BT is gold for me, but I would have to have Hailfire Peaks (Lava Side), Gruntilda's Lair, Freezeezy Peak, Jinjo Village, Click Clock Wood and Gobi's Valley. Hearing these on any B-K stage would be a dream come true!

Selfishly, I hope they wouldn't remix the songs as Kirkhope made a damn near perfect soundtrack.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
A Click Clock Wood medley is a fantastic idea.

One thought I had, might have mentioned it in this thread before, is a Grunty's Lair stage that transitions between each of the level lobbies. It would be cool if they set it up so when you transitioned to each lobby, the music for her lair changed to the lobby versions of it each time.
Yep this is what I meant when I said I'd like a Medley of all Grunty's Lair themes cobbled together. It would probably be the most iconic stage option too if we're being honest. Its hard to place one BK world above all others to make a definitive stage, as many of them are popular for one reason or another.

Except Rusty Bucket Bay.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Upon further thought, a cleaner special move set for Banjo would go as follows:

Neutral Special: Egg

A decent projectile, it is fairly fast and can be shot in successive sessions of three eggs before a lag between fires. It has little knockback and damage, but it’s speed is good for spacing and decent for edge-guarding.

Side Special: Beak Barge

This attack thrusts Banjo and Kazooie forward for an attack with good, but not great knockback and damage. Not exactly a great KO move unless at very high damage, but it comes with super armor. The downside is it has pretty bad end lag.

However! If performed in the air it is devastating. In the air side special becomes Beak Bomb where it does more damage abd knockback and covers a lot of distance. It also keeps its super armor. Oh yeah, it can be aimed too. Great for anti-edgeguarding and useful as a KO move, this special makes the duo scary in the air. It’s drawbacks are in its start up lag (which doesn’t have the super armor) and the high risk of missing to one’s doom.

Up Special: Flight

Another great move, simply put, it works very similar to Pit’s Up Special from Brawl. Attacks can occur after its use, but will lead to free fall if used too long.

Down Special: Wonderwing

Banjo and Kazooie become invulnerable during this move except for grabs and a select few attacks (final smashes and Mac’s Star Punch). If an opponent runs into the attack unshielded and without Super Armor, Wonderwing will work as a stationary attack dealing both great damage and knockback. After a brief start up, if used on the ground, the player can move the duo forward with the analog stick, and Banjo and Kazooie basically become a slow moving tank as the hit box of the attack is still in play. The downside is, going with reoccurring theme across the moveset, is in the lag the move has, this one for both start up and in its finish. The move can also be used in the air to block aerial attacks, continuing the theme of the duo being a great aerial character. Just remember the move takes a lot of frames.

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure this has been said before because i normally don't follow moveset discussions. I feel like Down B would be better suited as Kazooie farting out a clockwork Kazooie egg, similar to Bowser Jr's Mecha Koopas for stage control but maybe with a remote detonation feature. Wonderwing just making them an invincible walking and jumping hitbox seems kinda spamable in casual 4 player matches even if it did have lag, plus it just seems kinda lame in general, like its just an extended counter move.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I originally liked the clockwork egg, but the Wonderwing would be very unique to the game, as there is nothing quite like it

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Let's say we have a dream scenario, and get 34 Banjo-Kazooie tracks. I think the following would be the absolute best possible list:

1: Combined version of Spiral Mountain theme, mainly Kazooie's version with elements of Tooie's
2-21: Main song from each world from Kazooie and Tooie, including the hub worlds
23: Grunty's Furnace Fun
24: Jinjo Village
25: The main minigame song from Banjo-Tooie
26-27: Gruntilda and HAG 1 final boss themes
28: Nuts & Bolts medley (a nod to their less beloved game, maybe with a hint of Grunty's Revenge)
27-34: Other boss themes. ex: Nipper, Mr. Patch, Klungo, Chilly Willy/Billi, Weldar, Targitzan

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Dragon Kazooie is not a bad idea for a Final Smash ,but I feel like it would be too similar to Yoshi's Final Smash breathing fire and possibly flying around, and Wonder wing (which I also like) feels like any other power up pulled fron any game that has invincibility like Super Sonic and to a lesser extent Super Mario's Star Man, Ultimates Final Smash's are fast, vicious, straight forward, mostly automated attacks with epic cinematics which certainly fits Jinjonator a lot more, Just imaging Banjo and Kazooie summoning it and it shouting out JINJO with it's godlike voice !!! While performing explosive homing dive bomb strikes at opponents or the arena. If not Jinjonator, 2nd choice would be Daddy T-Rex.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I fully support one of Rare's greatest characters ever made! Banjo for Smash! When I first saw Duck Hunt Dog..Banjo was the first thing that popped into my head..:)

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hey everyone. I’ve been reading through this thread and seeing a lot of multiposting going on. Especially with ChunkySlugger72 ChunkySlugger72 and Cap'n Jack Cap'n Jack .

Please avoid double posting by editing your previous message and copy/pasting the quote you want to reply to into it. Multiposting is against the rules and is an intractable offense. If you think you double posted, please make a report so the staff can take care of it. You will not be warned/infracted for that report. I’ve been pretty lenient as the site as had hiccups since the switch over but I feel that leniency period has passed. Please be careful with hitting that post button and try to wait for someone else to post before making another post.

Thank you

I love Banjo and Kazooie. Buuuuuuureeeeeee....e....e....e

Jorl

Smash Rookie
I don't remember if anyone has answered before, but does duck hunt have the "banjo" skin that he had in sm4sh?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Hey everyone. I’ve been reading through this thread and seeing a lot of multiposting going on. Especially with ChunkySlugger72 ChunkySlugger72 and Cap'n Jack Cap'n Jack .

Please avoid double posting by editing your previous message and copy/pasting the quote you want to reply to into it. Multiposting is against the rules and is an intractable offense. If you think you double posted, please make a report so the staff can take care of it. You will not be warned/infracted for that report. I’ve been pretty lenient as the site as had hiccups since the switch over but I feel that leniency period has passed. Please be careful with hitting that post button and try to wait for someone else to post before making another post.

Thank you

I love Banjo and Kazooie. Buuuuuuureeeeeee....e....e....e
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to,my phone acts a little laggy on this site and keep replying and doing thingd by accident that I try to avoid.

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
I don't remember if anyone has answered before, but does duck hunt have the "banjo" skin that he had in sm4sh?
It hasn't been seen yet.

And what do you guys think of Bregull bash? Do you guys think it's likely that it would be implemented on the duo because it is what I am most looking forward to using.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
It hasn't been seen yet.

And what do you guys think of Bregull bash? Do you guys think it's likely that it would be implemented on the duo because it is what I am most looking forward to using.
I figured that'd be their forward smash haha. And I would love for the beak barge to be their down tilt like Mega Man's, Cloud's, and Simon/Richter's down tilts where it moves them forward while dodging incoming attacks. Their side special should be the Beak Bomb a la Pikachu's Skull Bash, Luigi's Green Missile, and Charizard's Flare Blitz, maybe doing some recoil damage. And their down special should be Reverse Egg Lay, which wouldn't have the range of the regular Egg Lay, but protects them from back assaults!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
It hasn't been seen yet.

The moment I saw that move in Banjo-Tooie, I was like that NEEDS to be the Side Smash, it would be a big missed oppurtunity if they don't use it, makes too much sense

JonSmash

Smash Ace
if banjo got in smash knowing sakurai do you think he would 100% DKR BK BT BKGR BP & BKN&B ? for reserch on them

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Down Smash has gotta be Pack Whack, Banjo swings his backpack in a 360 degree spin hitting opponents left and right.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
if banjo got in smash knowing sakurai do you think he would 100% DKR BK BT BKGR BP & BKN&B ? for reserch on them
He would probably play around with it and then have someone do it for him (probably not 100%), write up a report, and then give that report to Sakurai for him to look over and then have the design team work thier magic.

Sakurai is a hands-on kind of guy and, being Japanese in a Japanese work setting, probably has his hands, ears, and eyes in practically every department but he is just one man and can only work 8-10 hours a day (legally). I doubt he has time to dedicate to fully playing games that characters come from.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
He would probably play around with it and then have someone do it for him (probably not 100%), write up a report, and then give that report to Sakurai for him to look over and then have the design team work thier magic.

Sakurai is a hands-on kind of guy and, being Japanese in a Japanese work setting, probably has his hands, ears, and eyes in practically every department but he is just one man and can only work 8-10 hours a day (legally). I doubt he has time to dedicate to fully playing games that characters come from.
Yeah I think Sakurai has on multiple occasions played the games that Smash characters are from. I remember reading somewhere that the Trophies in Melee were not so much chosen based on "oh, these fit Nintendo's history so throw them in" but were more from Sakurai's personal fond memories of Nintendo games and added based on that.

I'm sure there's a research part to it too for games unfamiliar, but like you said he probably would only mess around for a short time and then have others work out the fine details.

Great taste repping best Mass Effect character, by the way.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
If BK was a character, they'd get the K. Rool treatment and have designs, moves and such based on more than just the original game.

Top Bottom