• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Pre-Ordered the Banjo & Kazooie amiibo. Finally have been able to fulfill a promise--I said if Banjo & Kazooie got into Smash, their amiibo would be the first one I ever get, despite having huge reservations about them before. And I'm so happy with how they turned out. They could have had weird clear plastic to hold them up, but the jiggy is such a great touch and is what I had hoped for.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Between this and the Perfect Dark announcement, it's clear that current Rare has moved on from their older catalog at this point.

I know a company double dipping in the same Pass is unlikely, but what if Joanna Dark is in Fighter's Pass 2 to promote the upcoming Perfect Dark game? That would be sick.
Well, you never know about double dipping I guess. Until recently the idea of having a second unique fighter for a third-party series was seen as unlikely by some folks.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, you never know about double dipping I guess. Until recently the idea of having a second unique fighter for a third-party series was seen as unlikely by some folks.
Hopefully we can get Gruntilda into the next Smash now that Sephiroth opened the doors to everyone.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So with the "No secondary unique non Echo 3rd party rep" fan rule being broken I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai breaks another fan rule like "Only one rep per company in a Pass". I could see him breaking it.
Yeah, especially with people assuming Geno is out of the running even though we haven't even seen Seph's Mii costume loadout yet.

Did I mention that patience is a lost art? These next six days are gonna be a slog. :deathstare:

Edit: Make that five days, since I forgot to take JST into account.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, especially with people assuming Geno is out of the running even though we haven't even seen Seph's Mii costume loadout yet.

Did I mention that patience is a lost art?
It sure is. Geno's Mii costume hasn't return yet and yet a lot of people are giving up thinking in their minds for sure they're going to show it off in Sephiroth's Presentation. Hell, the Mario 35th anniversary celebration doesn't end until March and no one is thinking he might not be revealed in March or something? Hell, he could be the last fighter as a love letter to the boomer crowd. The last Ultimate big legacy request newcomer possibly.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It sure is. Geno's Mii costume hasn't return yet and yet a lot of people are giving up thinking in their minds for sure they're going to show it off in Sephiroth's Presentation. Hell, the Mario 35th anniversary celebration doesn't end until March and no one is thinking he might not be revealed in March or something? Hell, he could be the last fighter as a love letter to the boomer crowd. The last Ultimate big legacy request newcomer possibly.
Incidentally, the next amiibo loadout is at the end of March, so we might see something by then instead of later.

Anywho, back to waiting. :chrono:

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Sephiroth got in likely due to high fan demand, and in terms of villains of third party characters, I feel Eggman is next in line--Gruntilda barely registered on previous polls, though with B&K's appearance probably has more demand now. So while Gruntilda doesn't have to be playable, it was a missed opportunity to not have her as a boss fight, due to being DLC. I feel like if Banjo & Kazooie came back, at the very least, she should be a boss fight. One of the best boss battles in platforming games.

And as for Geno, anyone saying a character is disconfirmed has obviously not been paying attention to fan rules being shattered left and right. That being said, if we were to talk about likelihoods, I feel like Geno and Sora are much more unlikely now. Which I'd hate to say it, because Sora would have been a truly WTF character, and would have brought a whole new game world, unlike Sephiroth. Geno's mii costume not returning makes a lot more sense if they were waiting for Sephiroth's release to reveal it--which is terrible if that's the case, because such a highly requested character should be shown off asap, rather than mid-point of a second pass. Hoping it's not the case, I would love both Geno and Sora to be in the pass, but we also have to prepare ourselves so we're not too disappointed.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Just based on speculation (since no one knows the behind the scenes talk), Sephiroth most likely spells doom for Sora, Geno, Crono, Lara, Black Mage, Neku, Gex, another FF rep definitely like Cecil or Terra, or recent IPs like Bravely Default. The problem is that Square has many massive fan favorites under their name and Square arrived so late to start playing ball for Smash. Several of the above should have already been playable in Smash once Sephiroth hit.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Off topic but; what are your thoughts on Perfect Dark returning?
Played "Goldeneye 007" more growing up than "Perfect Dark", But still cool to see another Rare IP revived seeing how both Killer Instinct and Battletoads got the same treatment, But on smaller budgets.

Not really surprised, Seeing how it has been rumored for a couple of years already, Which makes sense that they would hand it to "The Initiative" (Microsoft's big new homegrown studio) as the franchise has the appeal to catch the attention of Xbox's audience demographic.

While I love most things Rare, I'm a bigger fan of the DKU (DK, Banjo-Kazooie, Conker) side of things, But this game will still be on my radar and will follow it's development, If I do get an Xbox Series X, Chances are I'll probably buy it, Plus I still have my copies of Rare Replay and Killer Instinct when I had an Xbox One.

The best news of all is that it really shows that Microsoft is starting to revive some of their old Rare IP's with Banjo-Kazooie being their biggest and most popular of their "Classic" franchises and if Smash is any indication than we should be getting a revival of that franchise sometime soon this console generation.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Sephiroth got in likely due to high fan demand, and in terms of villains of third party characters, I feel Eggman is next in line--Gruntilda barely registered on previous polls, though with B&K's appearance probably has more demand now. So while Gruntilda doesn't have to be playable, it was a missed opportunity to not have her as a boss fight, due to being DLC. I feel like if Banjo & Kazooie came back, at the very least, she should be a boss fight. One of the best boss battles in platforming games.

And as for Geno, anyone saying a character is disconfirmed has obviously not been paying attention to fan rules being shattered left and right. That being said, if we were to talk about likelihoods, I feel like Geno and Sora are much more unlikely now. Which I'd hate to say it, because Sora would have been a truly WTF character, and would have brought a whole new game world, unlike Sephiroth. Geno's mii costume not returning makes a lot more sense if they were waiting for Sephiroth's release to reveal it--which is terrible if that's the case, because such a highly requested character should be shown off asap, rather than mid-point of a second pass. Hoping it's not the case, I would love both Geno and Sora to be in the pass, but we also have to prepare ourselves so we're not too disappointed.
There was a rumor spreading around during the base game days that "Everyone Is Here!" almost didn't happened and Square-Enix wanted Cloud as DLC again and Sakurai managed to negotiate with them to get Cloud in base game. If this rumor is true, I could see Square-Enix allowing Cloud in base game but would demand for the Dragon Quest protagonists and Sephiroth to be DLC down the line in exchange.

So who's gonna start the Grunty thread? Gotta get the support ball rolling y'know.
I would be willing to start the Gruntilda thread.

"I'll be a bad*! Watch and see! I'll kick * until 2 or 3!"

Last edited:

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
Final Fantasy 6 & Chrono Trigger are probably the only games to compete with my other two favorites of all, Banjo-Kazooie & Donkey Kong Country 2 as my favorite game; so seeing Sephiroth show up was a big awesome surprise for me. Though tbh I can't decide if I like Sephiroth's inclusion better or that freaking gorgeous CGI moment in the trailer where it showed Banjo & Kazooie! Holy crap that made me so happy and Seph's inclusion so much more sweeter.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Final Fantasy 6 & Chrono Trigger are probably the only games to compete with my other two favorites of all, Banjo-Kazooie & Donkey Kong Country 2 as my favorite game; so seeing Sephiroth show up was a big awesome surprise for me. Though tbh I can't decide if I like Sephiroth's inclusion better or that freaking gorgeous CGI moment in the trailer where it showed Banjo & Kazooie! Holy crap that made me so happy and Seph's inclusion so much more sweeter.
I know right? I hope Banjo & Kazooie show up in more reveal trailers.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
So a winged abomination gets cleaved, Banjo and Kazooie look on in shock and see Sephiroth descending from the sky.

......what a weird ass but true sentence.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So who would you guys prefer to see get in next from the Banjo-Kazooie series Gruntilda or Mumbo? I love them both just as much but as a fighter I would prefer to see Gruntilda because of what she could bring with her spells, Broomstick, and Hag 1. Gruntilda would be a fun character to play as.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Grunty can't go roaming around on a broomstick the entire game or even the HAG1 like Bowser jr. does with the clown car, way too big and would be the size of landmaster like for Fox and friends.
I don't think I have the creativity to conjure up a moveset for Mumbo even with the abilities he uses in Tooie as placeholder attacks whether it's a small golden goliath, t-rex, summoning lightning, making platforms appear for him etc. so the possibility of another B-K character getting in is nigh 0.

However, another Rare character I can think up a moveset for is Conker easily from all the tools he pulls out of him during Context Sensitive moments.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Grunty can't go roaming around on a broomstick the entire game or even the HAG1 like Bowser jr. does with the clown car, way too big and would be the size of landmaster like for Fox and friends.
I don't think I have the creativity to conjure up a moveset for Mumbo even with the abilities he uses in Tooie as placeholder attacks whether it's a small golden goliath, t-rex, summoning lightning, making platforms appear for him etc. so the possibility of another B-K character getting in is nigh 0.

However, another Rare character I can think up a moveset for is Conker easily from all the tools he pulls out of him during Context Sensitive moments.
I mean, people said Ridley and K. Rool were too big so I can imagine them nerfing the size of Hag 1.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I wasn't going on bout Gruntilda's size. Moreso if she was to be piloting the hag 1.
Maybe the Hag 1 could be a cinematic final smash? Considering that it's seemingly got everything and the kitchen sink crammed in there, I could see her activating the poisonous gas, ramming the opponent(s) with the drill, firing the lasers, launching the mortar cannons, and finishing it off with the spell that she uses when she hits 1 HP for that extra bit of overkill.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I deleted original post at first but didn't realize how ugly it looked so I added it back and edited.

HAG 1 can maybe get scaled down a bit but I'm not entirely sure how I'd be able to make a moveset around it like Jr's. clown car tbh. I'd leave that up to the people that make entire movesets for characters not in smash.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

My idea for Grunty would be to have her riding her broomstick hovering as her dash. She'd use magic, fling fireballs, whack people with her broomstick, HAG 1 would probably be her Final Smash. She'd make a great character, but it would be an uphill battle convincing the rest of the fandom to support her. Still, I'd support the cause. I think she has a lot more that can be taken from the games than Mumbo Jumbo, even though he was the playable one.

Still, at the very least if Banjo & Kazooie is in the next game, they need a boss battle, and have another excuse to remix Final Battle!

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
She'd make a great character, but it would be an uphill battle convincing the rest of the fandom to support her. Still, I'd support the cause. I think she has a lot more that can be taken from the games than Mumbo Jumbo, even though he was the playable one.
Outside of other big names in Microsoft like Chief and Doom Slayer, in Rare Gruntilda would be competing with Joanna Dark, Conker, Battletoads, Vela & Juno, and of course Mumbo. I feel like it will be awhile before Gruntilda get's a Smash invite. But I agree with you that she would bring a lot more to the table than Mumbo with her spells, Broomstick, and HAG 1.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I'm still sad we didn't get any Mii Fighter costumes from Banjo-Kazooie when they released. I would've loved a Mumbo Jumbo Mii Swordfighter costume and to have them be the Spirit you fight in Mumbo's fight. And I completely agree with you Vector Victor, Mr. Patch should've absolutely been a spirit played by Giant Yoshi. Wasted opportunity.

Top Bottom