• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Banjo does a backflip if you short hop backwards. I love the expressions in their movesets.

And that 'whee' on his jump is so pure.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
I've been getting kills with down throw to up tilt at high percents. Works with big characters, but it's inconsistent with smaller ones.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
View attachment 237129 Yeah I won The Ultimate Partnership Turny as banjo ! :D

Also I can't decide on witch one of these should be my new PS4 Backgroud ? borrowed Persona 5 & beat it about a mouth ago fun game.

solo banjo or banjo young link & luigi ? (i did one with roy but his outline never showed up good & pushed young link in a hard to see spot)

View attachment 237130
View attachment 237132

in persona 5 bloood come squirting out of them in this game its stars LOL
I'm waiting in bated breath for a Switch mod that turns the sparkles back into a heavy blood stream,

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Does anyone have Banjo & Kazooie's render straight from the Smash website?

I tried to grab it, but for some reason - despite it being a png file - paint.NET can't recognize it, nor the photo viewer that Windows 10 has with it; the image icon itself won't even show up on the desktop/in a folder, it just uses the default icon as if it's still loading it. I guess they changed up stuff on the website, because I can't use the other fighters' render images either, despite being perfectly able to even when Hero was just added to the site. The ones I already nabbed still work, though.

I just wanted to see if this was only a problem on my end or not.

Here's the link to their default look:
https://www.smashbros.com/assets_v2/img/fighter/banjo_and_kazooie/main.png

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
IGN just made my mood worse. They reviewed Banjo in Smash and said their moveset feels underwhelming! And no combo potential!
Frankly, IGN doesn't know what they're talking about a lot of the time. Besides, all that matters is how you feel about them.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Can't spell Ignorant without IGN

there just doing a negitive spin on a poular character to get rage bait clicks like they did with pokemon "too much water" witch the righter admittied to adding the warter ling & game score to get clicks

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Yeah, but IGN's comments are a reflection of how a lot of pro players reacted, until they actually got their hands on it. I still think it's the wrong way to look at Banjo & Kazooie--they're a throwback to Smash 64, with some modern Smash flourishes. I'd hate it if their kit was extremely complicated--for those characters, simpler is better.

Also, I just love how not only did they have Banjo & Kazooie come out the day of the Direct, they gave them their *own* presentation, and it was afterwards, not crammed in the middle of the Direct. That's what I was worried about, and yet this way was perfect--it didn't annoy people who didn't want to watch the nitty gritty of their moves, but some watching the Direct continued to watch some of it afterwards (like Giant Bomb), and got some enjoyment out of the bear and birds presentation. That's amazing, to see people happy about Banjo & Kazooie in 2019.

IGN just made my mood worse. They reviewed Banjo in Smash and said their moveset feels underwhelming! And no combo potential!
It's just a websites/editors opinion, try not to let it get you down too much.

Are the end of the day....BANJO & KAZOOIE ARE IN SMASH!!! WOO HOO, GUH-HUH, BREEE!

....that's the main thought to come back to! :)

But...curiosity got the better of me, so had a peek. Ah...IGN the same place who panned Pokemon Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby for minor issues.

To be honest they've lost a bit of clout and haven't been as relevant as they'd like lately. What with lots more variety and choice to recieve video game news/content/reviews elsewhere.

The criticisms are a good example of typing a lot of words without saying much at all and parroting the same old tired narratives. Kind of like some seemingly "ITK" or "Respected" posters in the speculation threads here at times. A character's seemingly lack of competitive viability should not be a tool to measure whether they are underwhelming or not, there are so many more variables at play there. And that's a massive rabbit hole to go down. Again, don't give it too much thought or effort, it's just one persons opinion.

Anyway, BK just "fit" like they've been ripped straight from the games, as it should be. They're supposed to be a straightforward character to use, it reflects the tone of Banjo-Kazooie as a platformer itself. Which is easy to pick up and play, but the challenge is how you use those simple abilities to react to situations and challenges. And that goes the same for how to use Bear and Bird in Smash. The Wonderwing and rationing those feathers in both Smash and BK/BT is a good example.

BK isn't supposed to be overly technical like other characters and that is completely fine. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

BZocky

Smash Ace
DLC page on the Smash website describes Banjo & Kazooie joining Smash as 'the missing piece of the puzzle being found', and I wholeheartedly agree. They have a moveset that fits right in with the 64/melee veterans. Like If I was told he's been sitting on this moveset for that long I'd believe it. The remixes are godtier and among if not the best from Ultimate. I've found myself listening to Gobi's Valley the most over the last few hours so I'd say that's my favorite among the bunch. Animations are as cartoony as I'd hoped and they fit in perfectly next to their Rare comrades. Wish I could pick Spiral Mountain every match for online. They're finally home...

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

Are the end of the day....BANJO & KAZOOIE ARE IN SMASH!!! WOO HOO, GUH-HUH, BREEE!

But...curiosity got the better of me, so had a peek. Ah...IGN the same place who panned DKC: Tropcial Freeze and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby for minor issues.

To be honest they've lost a bit of clout and haven't been as relevant as they'd like lately. What with lots more variety and choice to recieve video game news/content/reviews elsewhere.

The review is a good example of typing a lot of words without saying much at all and parroting the same old tired narratives. Kind of like some seemingly "ITK" or "Respected" posters in the speculation threads here at times. Again, don't give it too much thought or effort, it's just one persons opinion.

Anyway, BK just "fit" like they've been ripped straight from the games, as it should be. They're supposed to be a straightforward character to use, it reflects the tone of Banjo-Kazooie as a platformer itself. Which is easy to pick up and play, but the challenge is how you use those simple abilities to react to situations and challenges. And that goes the same for how to use Bear and Bird in Smash. The Wonderwing and rationing those feathers in both Smash and BK/BT is a good example.

BK isn't supposed to be overly technical like other characters and that is completely fine. Different strokes for different folks.
Last I checked IGN praised DKC: Tropical Freeze and gave it a 9/10 on both Wii U/Switch, It's Gamespot that gave that BS review on the Wii U version by giving it a 6/10.

Last edited:

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
I've been going through all Spirit mode, and forgot about this part. Surreal, this could only happen in Smash, since the DK Map screen and Banjo are owned by different companies. But seeing Banjo walk through what was the predecessor to his games was pretty cool
GNdg3WQ.jpg

Also, didn't take long for them to take over as #1
v7qZnFQ.jpg

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434

But...curiosity got the better of me, so had a peek. Ah...IGN the same place who panned Pokemon Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby for minor issues.

The criticisms are a good example of typing a lot of words without saying much at all and parroting the same old tired narratives. Kind of like some seemingly "ITK" or "Respected" posters in the speculation threads here at times. A character's seemingly lack of competitive viability should not be a tool to measure whether they are underwhelming or not, there are so many more variables at play there. And that's a massive rabbit hole to go down. Again, don't give it too much thought or effort, it's just one persons opinion.

Yeah. To us, they're moves are godlike.

StormC

Smash Hero
DLC page on the Smash website describes Banjo & Kazooie joining Smash as 'the missing piece of the puzzle being found', and I wholeheartedly agree. They have a moveset that fits right in with the 64/melee veterans. Like If I was told he's been sitting on this moveset for that long I'd believe it. The remixes are godtier and among if not the best from Ultimate. I've found myself listening to Gobi's Valley the most over the last few hours so I'd say that's my favorite among the bunch. Animations are as cartoony as I'd hoped and they fit in perfectly next to their Rare comrades. Wish I could pick Spiral Mountain every match for online. They're finally home...
Do you have a link to this page?

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
You all might wanna thank me. I just destroyed a teabagging spammer using our beloved duo. I used Banjo right back, in his white color. They used their regular colors. I forgot to save a replay though.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Do you have a link to this page?
Wow, this was a great catch by BZocky BZocky ! Here's what it says on the DLC page:

The missing piece of the puzzle is found as Banjo & Kazooie join Super Smash Bros.™ Ultimate as a playable fighter! With Banjo’s bare hands to bruise rivals up close and Kazooie’s egg-cellent shooting skills, your rivals will be singing the blues in no time. For their Final Smash, these perfect partners call upon a flock of Jinjos and the Mighty Jinjonator to deal the final blow to any “feeble jerk” that may stand in their way! This pack also includes the Spiral Mountain stage, that umm--spirals, and includes a selection of music from the Banjo-Kazooie series.
This warms my heart so much--this is how I've always felt about Banjo & Kazooie. It's just more proof that they are listening, and it's amazing to see.

StormC

Smash Hero
Wow, this was a great catch by BZocky BZocky ! Here's what it says on the DLC page:

This warms my heart so much--this is how I've always felt about Banjo & Kazooie. It's just more proof that they are listening, and it's amazing to see.
Wow, I didn't know this page existed. Very cool.

...this DLC page is going to be very, very long when this is all said and done.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wow, I didn't know this page existed. Very cool.

...this DLC page is going to be very, very long when this is all said and done.
Man, I'll say. Also, :ultkirby: will have a starting party that's only somewhat smaller than the total of party members in Chrono Cross.

But hey, the speculation will mostly be fun in the meantime (putting aside pre-emptive paranoia and pointless character bashing), and that's what matters.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
My opinon on banjo's movset are this

Holding B move needs to be buffed & easyer to put away as its absolutly useless right now
should of been able to switch nutral B eggs between Blue/Fire & Ice eggs (hold be should only be blue eggs [or gold eggs just for looks] )
Down B should of been able to switch between Granade/Mine & Clockwork eggs
Side B should of ether been 10 gold fethers per stock or 5 that can replenish 1 gold feather per KOing an opponent (KOing with side B won't replenish)
up B should of been flying (like villager) but with a red feather machanic like gold feathers & when you run out it turns to shock pad

Alts that should of been there are Dragon Kazooie, Tux Banjo-Kazooie, Fun Glasses Banjo-Kazooie & Green Banjo/Blue Kazooie multiplayer colors

(also no Banjo-Kazooie or rare mii costumes sucks)

other then that Banjo Kazooie's moveset are close to as perfect as they could of been

ALSO ! I have been runing into a glitch with banjo online ! when I pick colors that are not the default colors the game sometimes makes me play as the default color banjo in game or he will be his alt color during gameplay but on the victory screen he will be default color banjo ? very strange & banjo is the only characters to do this. seams to happen more during turnyment mode

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
ALSO ! I have been runing into a glitch with banjo online ! when I pick colors that are not the default colors the game sometimes makes me play as the default color banjo in game or he will be his alt color during gameplay but on the victory screen he will be default color banjo ? very strange & banjo is the only characters to do this. seams to happen more during turnyment mode

Tourney mode has done this to me many times with all kinds of characters, so it's not just a Banjo thing. Not sure what causes it or if it'll ever be fixed, just somehow the way the game loads it sometimes forgets to check your color

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I just got back from Whistler, Canada and I played as the bear and bird.

That was so much fun! I kept losing at first, but now I am getting the hang of Banjo & Kazooie! They are really fun to play!

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
All the remixes make me really want to download some BK custom stages. Particularly the way a bunch of tracks borrow leitmotifs from other stages. I think most people know about Spiral Mountain having Treasure Trove Cove, Freezeezy Peak, Grunty's Lair, Mayahem Temple and Rusty Bucket Bay as well as Gobi's Valley having Grunty's Lair in it and (Klungo's theme having Cauldron Keep but that was always part of Klungi's theme anyways). But I'm pretty sure Treasure Trove Cove also has a bit of Rusty Bucket Bay in it.
https://youtu.be/XxFGzrCqZ7I?t=49
Am I just hearing things? It might also just be that one well-known sailor-y song the name of which escapes me. EDIT: IT'S CALLED THE SAILOR'S HORNPIPE, and comparing it it's definitely not that. So RBB is in the TTC mix

I was wondering if any of the other remixes had leitmotifs like that I had missed.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
This is gonna sound weird, but: I'm really, really glad Banjo came out after K. Rool.

I was so hyperfocused on getting K. Rool into Smash ever since the ballot that I assumed Banjo was a ridiculous pipe dream not worth humoring, and voting for Banjo was a wasted vote when it could be going to K. Rool instead. Before K. Rool got confirmed, I barely gave a second thought to Banjo being in Smash, despite being a huge fan. I was so obsessed with getting K. Rool in that almost any character getting in before him would be difficult to enjoy to the fullest (except for Ridley) because I wanted him that bad and waited so long for him.

Once K. Rool got in, Banjo actually seemed, for the first time, possible. K. Rool showed that Sakurai was serious about adding fan requests. Once Ridley and K. Rool were confirmed back to back, pretty much overnight Banjo went from a "he'll never happen, who cares" to "most wanted character, add NOW." And then the 10 month wait ensued, and every day seemed torturous. I realized how much I actually did want this, and with K. Rool in, I didn't have to feel like other characters were distractions from the prize. And just like the K. Rool trailer, I openly shed tears once Banjo was revealed.

Now we're here and I'm listening to Banjo Smash remixes while typing this. The implementation of the Banjo franchise in Smash is simply incredible. Banjo in Smash is an S+ tier character for me, the highest of hypes, matched only by K. Rool and Cloud. While nothing can come close to the ten year journey of campaigning for K. Rool to both get in Smash and return to video games in general, the inclusion of Banjo is possibly my biggest Never Ever, and I can't thank Sakurai and his team enough for everything they've done for us old school Rare fans.

Banjo is also probably the last time I will ever truly lose my god damn mind over a Smash character. The last of the S tiers for sure. This is the peak.

Thank you to all the true believers who voted and campaigned since the ballot days. You're the reason this happened.

It's been a little over 48 hours and I'm still processing a lot of emotions over this, but Banjo is a welcome co-main to the king.

Welcome home, guys.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
So uh I've found out that if Jr is out of his clown car with his up special and you hit him with Banjo's neutral special, he will go directly into free all without regaining his car

ze9

Smash Ace
Been playing with bear & bird for the past two days. I have to say, they couldn't have done a better job.
Their moveset just flows. It looks simple, but it actually has a lot of nuances. It's more in line with newer characters like Ridley, K. Rool or the Inklings than with Smash 64 and Melee's movesets. in my opinion. The crazy thing is that it really feels like playing B-K. I wasn't a fan of Wonderwing being OP and having limited uses, but... that's actually as accurate to how you used in the original games as you could get. It sure was OP, but golden feathers were rare so you had to use it wisely, which is pretty much the same here. Very clever.
Overall, their handling, their noises and their moves are perfect. And Spiral Mountain is... woah, the best looking stage in the game in my opinion. It's so lively! And getting 7 remixes is completely unprecedented for Smash's DLC. Great package. Yeah they don't have a flashy gimmick, but who cares. They didn't need it, and their moveset is still pretty complex as is. There's a reason nobody seemed to do well in their first moments with them, and I don't think it's because they're a bad character.
It's been a long time, but they're finally home, and better than ever :')

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Just discovered this. Nintendo knows. And I love it.
Guh Huh News.jpg
(especially with Sakurai gu-huhing--also, despite being a big fan, I also learned that the official spelling is "gu-huh", from the split up pads)

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
So uh I've found out that if Jr is out of his clown car with his up special and you hit him with Banjo's neutral special, he will go directly into free all without regaining his car
As someone whose most played character in Smash 4 is Bowser Jr., and 3rd most in Ultimate... yeah it sucks. Virtually every character has a move that easily knocks Bowser Jr. out of recovery. The Shock Spring Pad with Banjo and Kazooie also works similarly to the egg, 1 pathetic boop and its bye bye Bowser Jr. It's easy to hit the shock spring pad as well, just go directly above Bowser Jr. d hold until they Up-B. A sad existence that character has

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Since the sound quality for the crowd cheers is soooo bad, what I hear is "Goooo Banjo, Kazooie Kazooie Kazooie!" but I might be wrong.
It's "Ba-Ba-Banjo, Ka-Ka-Kazooie!" I freaking love it. It's so good hearing and seeing them in the game.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
Is there a Banjo Discord yet like there is for the other characters? Sharing frame data, reliable kill setups, etc?

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
Banjo plays like my dreams always lead me to believe lol. I absolutely love he's got Mario's back throw and fair, DK's forward roll, his grenade reminds me Diddy's banana, K.Rool down throw and it keeps on! He truly feels like he's been here all along

Top Bottom