• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

StormC

Smash Hero
I have a gut feeling Hero and Banjo might be close to done, but they are intentionally staggering the releases because they developed fighters 1-3 close together and still need time to finish fighters 4-5, so they don't want to have a 4-6 month gap in the release schedule.

So instead of, theoretically, dropping Hero in June and Banjo in August, they're pacing it out so we aren't left waiting too long between fighters.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I've been looking forward to the interviews post-announcement--one in particular was really hard to watch because of the interviewer. Found this one by the guy who does Boundary Break, and it's fantastic! Love hearing Grant Kirkhope's and Steve Mayles' thoughts on the reveal, great questions that I've been wondering about.

I think the most interesting tidbit relating to Smash is originally Grant was directed to not include bits from other songs, as some would be used for remixes, but he was free to quote from them, leading to the section where we hear callbacks to songs from other levels. I love hearing about the background.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I've been looking forward to the interviews post-announcement--one in particular was really hard to watch because of the interviewer. Found this one by the guy who does Boundary Break, and it's fantastic! Love hearing Grant Kirkhope's and Steve Mayles' thoughts on the reveal, great questions that I've been wondering about.

I think the most interesting tidbit relating to Smash is originally Grant was directed to not include bits from other songs, as some would be used for remixes, but he was free to quote from them, leading to the section where we hear callbacks to songs from other levels. I love hearing about the background.
Saw this earlier.

Really loved Steve Mayles' interview too. How must it feel having two characters (Banjo and K. Rool) that you created in Smash...?

JonSmash

Smash Ace
hope they get grant to do more songs in the next smash & banjo kazooie to be in it too! since phil said it was easy to work with nintendo & put them in <3

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Saw this earlier.

Really loved Steve Mayles' interview too. How must it feel having two characters (Banjo and K. Rool) that you created in Smash...?
Indeed, it's interesting to contrast the two, since Grant knew about it, and Steve didn't. I find it interesting that Steve kept up with the rumors/leaks as the rest of us. Must have been amazing, and I agree with him, Dixie's next.

hope they get grant to do more songs in the next smash & banjo kazooie to be in it too! since phil said it was easy to work with nintendo & put them in <3
I'm pretty satisfied with Grant getting to do a remix. Let's not forget what an honor it is for Grant to even be asked to be a part of this--it's typical for Sakurai's team to do the remixes, and this is the first time they've asked someone overseas to do a remix, due to the language and separation barriers. I totally did not expect Grant to be involved at all, which made his involvement much more exciting--it goes to show how much Sakurai and his team respect Grant and his legacy to take that chance. I'm now interested in hearing his full remix, as well as see the remixes done by Sakurai's team, what songs they pick and how they interpret them--they're more than capable of it.

EDIT: And I agree, I hope with this working relationship, if there's a next game, for Banjo & Kazooie to be perennial third party characters, like Sonic.

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Guys, don’t kid yourselves. Steve knew, his brother is still at Rare. He just can’t admit it as it would be obvious his brother was the one who told him.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
In regards to the letter, would it be possible for the person handling it to ask Krazy Bones to accompany it with an appropriate drawing? I think he'd be more than up to the task, and honored to do it.

https://twitter.com/krazybonestv
I’ve seen some of their stuff and I’m a huge fan. I’m handling the printing and mailing portion of it, I’ll ask them if they have anything they’d like to add to it.

Edit: I tweeted / @krazybonestv mentioned them, but I’m gonna be honest, I rarely ever use twitter. If anyone has a way to reach out to them here or on discord or something, can you have them seek me out? XD. I work in IT so you’d think I would know *something* about Twitter. But you would mostly be wrong, haha.

Last edited:

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
I’ve seen some of their stuff and I’m a huge fan. I’m handling the printing and mailing portion of it, I’ll ask them if they have anything they’d like to add to it.

Edit: I tweeted / @krazybonestv mentioned them, but I’m gonna be honest, I rarely ever use twitter. If anyone has a way to reach out to them here or on discord or something, can you have them seek me out? XD. I work in IT so you’d think I would know *something* about Twitter. But you would mostly be wrong, haha.
I followed up with Krazy on Twitter. I'll see what they say. It's the same Project Dreams Discord server right? (https://discord.gg/hQMVKcP) Whats your username on there I should tell them to reach out to.

Noipoi

Howdy!
bankazoomy.png

I really love the thought of Banjo and Kazooie being introduced to newer Nintendo characters after years of being away. It's like coming back home after a while and there's a whole buncha new babies in the family.

("New Eye-Peas" means New IPs)

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
In regards to the letter, would it be possible for the person handling it to ask Krazy Bones to accompany it with an appropriate drawing? I think he'd be more than up to the task, and honored to do it.

https://twitter.com/krazybonestv
Going to that Twitter, seeing the YouTube reactions, the Twitter trends, the game's developers and of course users here, I think we can look back to all the claims that 'nobody cares about Banjo Kazooie' and 'it is a dead forgotten franchise and they will never be playable' and have a good hearty laugh.

There's being wrong, and then there's being WRONG.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Going to that Twitter, seeing the YouTube reactions, the Twitter trends, the game's developers and of course users here, I think we can look back to all the claims that 'nobody cares about Banjo Kazooie' and 'it is a dead forgotten franchise and they will never be playable' and have a good hearty laugh.

There's being wrong, and then there's being WRONG.
Oh yeah, that's for sure.

e8a.gif

Most characters in BK's position that don't have as much attention could use dubious haters like that. Nothing better than misdirected anger to get other outsider people curious and notice potential picks.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, that's for sure.

View attachment 228926

Most characters in BK's position that don't have as much attention could use dubious haters like that. Nothing better than misdirected anger to get other outsider people curious and notice potential picks.
Yep. Geno haters helped push his name further into the public more than fans.

Same with Ridley in Smash 4. The haters were the obsessed ones at that point.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

I'll admit that I was a Ridley detractor because I thought the "Ridley is too big" meme was funny and when he got revealed I was like "Well I'll be damned, Sakurai actually did it!"

JonSmash

Smash Ace
I wasn't against ridley but the ridley too big memes were funny & the same for bigley, i feel the same for waluigi & theat his haters will meme him into smash 6

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

Yeah for a solid 6 months there was at least one or two falseflagging Geno threads made every day on /v/ basically just for people to **** on the character and his fans. That's commitment.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
View attachment 228907

I really love the thought of Banjo and Kazooie being introduced to newer Nintendo characters after years of being away. It's like coming back home after a while and there's a whole buncha new babies in the family.

("New Eye-Peas" means New IPs)
Kiravera has a more touching take on that idea:

https://twitter.com/kiravera8/status/1140101504847810565

Yeah for a solid 6 months there was at least one or two falseflagging Geno threads made every day on /v/ basically just for people to **** on the character and his fans. That's commitment.
I dream of the day when characters like Syrup and Klonoa get noticed enough for them to get silly hate threads for no good reason.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Also while calling him 'Literal Who?'

How can you call him a Who when you also obsess about him each time to put him down? Then he's not a Who.

Strange how haters always manage to out-obsess the obsessed fans.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What do you guys think Banjo & Kazooie's Classic Mode should be.

I'd suggest his opponents being duos like him but there isn't enough apparently. :ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultpokemontrainer::ultrosalina:

Off by two apparently. Though could always suggest a team partner like some other characters Classic Modes. One for the first two, second for the next two, third for the last two and then last one for the boss fight. I think those four I listed above would be perfect for team partners but the only question is which order should it be?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What do you guys think Banjo & Kazooie's Classic Mode should be.

I'd suggest his opponents being duos like him but there isn't enough apparently. :ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultpokemontrainer::ultrosalina:

Off by two apparently. Though could always suggest a team partner like some other characters Classic Modes. One for the first two, second for the next two, third for the last two and then last one for the boss fight. I think those four I listed above would be perfect for team partners but the only question is which order should it be?
N64-related characters, as there's plenty of those. :ultmario::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultyounglink::ultfox::ultganondorf::ultfalcon::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfalco::ultpikachu::ultkingdedede::ultkrool:

D

Deleted member

I dream of the day when characters like Syrup and Klonoa get noticed enough for them to get silly hate threads for no good reason.
As the former owner of the Simon for Smash Thread, don't remember if Simon ever got any amount of hate. I mean i guess when Vergeben started leaking him, i saw 1 or 2 Bomberman and Alucard fans attempting to shot him down by calling him "boring", but to no avail.

Sometimes i wonder what's worse, getting hate from beign on top, or people not noticing you at all.....

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As the former owner of the Simon for Smash Thread, don't remember if Simon ever got any amount of hate. I mean i guess when Vergeben started leaking him, i saw 1 or 2 Bomberman and Alucard fans attempting to shot him down by calling him "boring", but to no avail.

Sometimes i wonder what's worse, getting hate from beign on top, or people not noticing you at all.....
As they say, the only thing worse than being dead is to be forgotten. When you're not noticed, you're almost definitely not going to stand a chance at all until years down the road, if even then.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If Banjo's Classic Mode were to be the N64 related characters but also having a team partner with them. Their partner should be done by the order of oldest to youngest so I would suggest.

Round 1 & 2::ultduckhunt:
Round 3 & 4: :ulticeclimbers:
Round 5::ultpokemontrainer:
Final Round::ultrosalina:

How I'd personally do the rounds.

Round 1::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
Round 2::ultmario::ultyoshi:
Round 3::ultkirby::ultkingdedede:
Round 4::ultfox::ultfalco:
Round 5::ultyounglink::ultganondorf:
Final Round: Master Hand

Agree or disagree?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If Banjo's Classic Mode were to be the N64 related characters but also having a team partner with them. Their partner should be done by the order of oldest to youngest so I would suggest.

Round 1 & 2::ultduckhunt:
Round 3 & 4: :ulticeclimbers:
Round 5::ultpokemontrainer:
Final Round::ultrosalina:

How I'd personally do the rounds.

Round 1::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
Round 2::ultmario::ultyoshi:
Round 3::ultkirby::ultkingdedede:
Round 4::ultfox::ultfalco:
Round 5::ultyounglink::ultganondorf:
Final Round: Master Hand

Agree or disagree?
I have an idea on how to make Banjo Kazooie's classic mode, Grounders and Flyers. Banjo Kazooie are up against two in one encounters with one character with better ground control paired with one character with better air control. The penultimate battle is with Duck Hunt as they are similar to Banjo & Kazooie.

Round 1: :ultmario::ultpit:(Paired them up as a reference to the subspace emissary)
Round 2: :ultlittlemac::ultmetaknight: (They are polar opposites to each other and Meta Knight with a mask is similar to masked wrestlers)
Round 3: :ultroy::ultcharizard: (Roy and Charizard both use fire for their attacks and Charizard is reference to Dragon Kazooie)
Round 4: :ultganondorf::ultridley: (Evil characters of their respective universes. Chose Ganondorf as the grounded character since the swing of his sword is similar to the swing Banjo makes with Kazooie)
Round 5: :ultdoc::ultdarkpit: (A sort of round 2 for Mario and Pit)
Round 6: :ultduckhunt: (Here because Duck Hunt is similar to Banjo Kazooie as they are both grounded and flying animals)
Final Round: Galleom (A reference to Banjo Tooie's final boss where Gruntilda is in that Tank)

Let me know what you all think.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I have an idea on how to make Banjo Kazooie's classic mode, Grounders and Flyers. Banjo Kazooie are up against two in one encounters with one character with better ground control paired with one character with better air control. The penultimate battle is with Duck Hunt as they are similar to Banjo & Kazooie.

Round 1: :ultmario::ultpit:(Paired them up as a reference to the subspace emissary)
Round 2: :ultlittlemac::ultmetaknight: (They are polar opposites to each other and Meta Knight with a mask is similar to masked wrestlers)
Round 3: :ultroy::ultcharizard: (Roy and Charizard both use fire for their attacks and Charizard is reference to Dragon Kazooie)
Round 4: :ultganondorf::ultridley: (Evil characters of their respective universes. Chose Ganondorf as the grounded character since the swing of his sword is similar to the swing Banjo makes with Kazooie)
Round 5: :ultdoc::ultdarkpit: (A sort of round 2 for Mario and Pit)
Round 6: :ultduckhunt: (Here because Duck Hunt is similar to Banjo Kazooie as they are both grounded and flying animals)
Final Round: Galleom (A reference to Banjo Tooie's final boss where Gruntilda is in that Tank)

Let me know what you all think.
That's actually pretty good. I'd be down for that one actually. :)

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I think a celebration of the best selling games on the 64 would be good for B-K's Classic.

Going from the lower numbers to the higher numbers, based on first and second party best selling titles.

According to Wikipedia, the Top 15 Best Selling N64 games were:
15. Yoshi's Story
14. Wave Race 64
13. Star Wars Episode I: Racer
12. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
11. Pokémon Snap
10. Banjo-Kazooie
9. Star Fox 64
8. Diddy Kong Racing
7. Donkey Kong 64
6. Pokémon Stadium
5. Super Smash Bros.
4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3. GoldenEye 007
2. Mario Kart 64
1. Super Mario 64

Round 1: Yoshi Team on Super Happy Tree (Yoshi's Story)
Round 2: Young Link on Hyrule Castle (Majora's Mask)
Round 3. Pikachu & Jigglypuff on Saffron City (Pokémon Snap/Pokémon Stadium)
Round 4: Fox & Falco on Corneria (Star Fox 64)
Round 5: Donkey Kong & Diddy Kong on Kongo Jungle (Donkey Kong 64/Diddy Kong Racing)
Round 6: Mario & Luigi on Peach's Castle (Super Mario 64/Mario Kart 64)
Bonus Game
Final Round: Master Hand on Final Destination (Super Smash Bros.)

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
N64-related characters, as there's plenty of those. :ultmario::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultyounglink::ultfox::ultganondorf::ultfalcon::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfalco::ultpikachu::ultkingdedede::ultkrool:
I like this idea--makes sense with their Easter egg of 64. And I agree with Michael the Spikester Michael the Spikester that Master Hand works in that theme, as well as Gruntilda if they actually make her a boss.

That's what I'm more curious about, given that last shot before the Jinjonator--the shot of Grunty's Lair as Banjo stands on the bridge. The same type of shot we saw with Simon and Dracula. Though, alternatively it could be Master Hand fighting on Spiral Mountain (are there examples of bosses fighting on the hero's home stage?) While I don't expect DLC bosses, it would be so awesome.

StormC

Smash Hero
Has this been posted yet? It's a pretty great breakdown of Japanese reactions to Banjo:

https://legendsoflocalization.com/what-do-japanese-fans-think-of-banjo-kazooie-in-smash-bros/

Overall very positive, with a few funny remarks like...

"What a joke. They should add characters from Splatoon, not these characters nobody knows!"
"When I try to remember Banjo-Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot keeps coming to mind instead."
"Now we just need Geno!! Please, give us Geno!!"

My favorite reaction probably being...

"I’m happy with Square’s long-awaited Dragon Quest representation, but Rare’s Banjo-Kazooie addition makes me many times happier. I can’t believe we can finally see Donkey Kong and Banjo-Kazooie together at last!"

But remember, they're unpopular has-beens as far as Japan is concerned and that's why they're never getting in.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
I think a celebration of the best selling games on the 64 would be good for B-K's Classic.

Going from the lower numbers to the higher numbers, based on first and second party best selling titles.

According to Wikipedia, the Top 15 Best Selling N64 games were:
15. Yoshi's Story
14. Wave Race 64
13. Star Wars Episode I: Racer
12. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
11. Pokémon Snap
10. Banjo-Kazooie
9. Star Fox 64
8. Diddy Kong Racing
7. Donkey Kong 64
6. Pokémon Stadium
5. Super Smash Bros.
4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3. GoldenEye 007
2. Mario Kart 64
1. Super Mario 64

Round 1: Yoshi Team on Super Happy Tree (Yoshi's Story)
Round 2: Young Link on Hyrule Castle (Majora's Mask)
Round 3. Pikachu & Jigglypuff on Saffron City (Pokémon Snap/Pokémon Stadium)
Round 4: Fox & Falco on Corneria (Star Fox 64)
Round 5: Donkey Kong & Diddy Kong on Kongo Jungle (Donkey Kong 64/Diddy Kong Racing)
Round 6: Mario & Luigi on Peach's Castle (Super Mario 64/Mario Kart 64)
Bonus Game
Final Round: Master Hand on Final Destination (Super Smash Bros.)
I was thinking something like this, as well, and I'd bet 10 Jiggies that they call it "N64 Classic." Though, I'd do Young Link, Ganondorf, Sheik, and Zelda on Hyrule Castle for Ocarina of Time and Mario, Peach, and Bowser for Mario 64.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
"When I try to remember Banjo-Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot keeps coming to mind instead."
To be fair, Crash Bandicoot x Banjo-Kazooie is one of those crossovers I never knew I needed.

Personally, I'd love to see Kazooie interacting with Coco. And Mumbo with Aku-Aku. Just imagine an alliance between Cortex and Grunty...

... I want this way more than I should.

StormC

Smash Hero
To be fair, Crash Bandicoot x Banjo-Kazooie is one of those crossovers I never knew I needed.

Personally, I'd love to see Kazooie interacting with Coco. And Mumbo with Aku-Aku. Just imagine an alliance between Cortex and Grunty...

I bet a lot of people in this thread are hoping for Crash after Banjo got in. If we can get two JRPG protagonists...

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
This is beautiful!

I'm really late to this but it triggers me that they didn't put Sword Goku's face on Goku.
Has this been posted yet? It's a pretty great breakdown of Japanese reactions to Banjo:

https://legendsoflocalization.com/what-do-japanese-fans-think-of-banjo-kazooie-in-smash-bros/

"What a joke. They should add characters from Splatoon, not these characters nobody knows!"

"I’m happy with Square’s long-awaited Dragon Quest representation, but Rare’s Banjo-Kazooie addition makes me many times happier. I can’t believe we can finally see Donkey Kong and Banjo-Kazooie together at last!"

But remember, they're unpopular has-beens as far as Japan is concerned and that's why they're never getting in.
Lol at that one guy asking for Brock.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

Yeah, I watched some reactions--I can only go based off of their expressions, of course. What I found interesting is while many Westerners recognized Banjo & Kazooie from the jiggy, most of the Japanese reactions I saw didn't, but recognized them by their silhouette. All of the one's I saw, they seemed to be happy, or even excited. I can't tell who knew of the games, except for one video where they even sang along to the Spiral Mountain music, which was awesome. Hype can transcend language barriers.

That's why I'm hoping for Crash to be in the fighter's pass--I don't expect another Western owned character, but would be a great way to top Banjo & Kazooie, in terms of iconic status. The only ones I can think that could would be Sora or Master Chief, and those are owned by companies already in (less so the former, since that's primarily owned by Disney).

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

>"What a joke. They should add characters from Splatoon, not these characters nobody knows!"
Sorry lad, the Squid Sisters are ATs, please accept your loss and move on until Smash 6. :4pacman:

>"Now we just need Geno!! Please, give us Geno!!"
I bet Ovaltine Ovaltine would love this one. :)

>"I never knew Microsoft owned the rights to Banjo-Kazooie until now"
It just goes to show how little impact Xbox tends to have over there.

>"I can’t believe Banjo and Kazooie are in now. I was in early grade school when the N64 Banjo-Kazooie came out, so I remember them. But I’ll probably wait to get them via amiibo rather than downloading their DLC and Joker’s DLC."
Now that is dedication.

>"Japanese people have no interest in Banjo-Kazooie, and foreigners have no interest in Dragon Quest. So it’s a win-win."
I like the ice-cold burn in this one.

>"Me, when Microsoft bought Rare: “Banjo…! Kazooie…!”

Me, when Banjo-Kazooie was announced for Smash: Banjo! Kazooie! You’re alive!"

Probably the best one. Overall, these reactions are nice to see.

Last edited:

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
:ultbanjokazooie: :ultbanjokazooie: :ultbanjokazooie: :ultbanjokazooie: :ultbanjokazooie:

Banjo & Kazooie have been added to premium post backgrounds, postbits and smileys​

StormC

Smash Hero
That's why I'm hoping for Crash to be in the fighter's pass--I don't expect another Western owned character, but would be a great way to top Banjo & Kazooie, in terms of iconic status. The only ones I can think that could would be Sora or Master Chief, and those are owned by companies already in (less so the former, since that's primarily owned by Disney).
I was gonna say, Crash, Sora, and Master Chief kinda feel like the last three characters that would truly "break the internet" if they got in. And so far all the Fighters Pass characters are popular in Japan so Crash and Sora would continue that. I don't expect another western character either, but it'd be great if they could make it happen. Crash would be my favorite pick of the "possible" characters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom