• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I was gonna say, Crash, Sora, and Master Chief kinda feel like the last three characters that would truly "break the internet" if they got in. And so far all the Fighters Pass characters are popular in Japan so Crash and Sora would continue that. I don't expect another western character either, but it'd be great if they could make it happen. Crash would be my favorite pick of the "possible" characters.
If TV Tropes taught me anything, it's that any Smash character reveal can make the Internet explode. No matter how big-time or small-time they are.

So I don't think we'll run out of those occurences any time soon.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
"I would’ve preferred them to add Yangus, Angelo, or Jessica from Dragon Quest 8 instead of Banjo-Kazooie."

That's the only comment that made me legitimately angry. Come on dude, you got FOUR Dragon Quest protagonists. They fan serviced enough for that fanbase. Let us have our win.

The one about adding more Splatoon characters... who? The Squid Sisters are perfectly suited for an Assist Trophy role, same with Off the Hook, and the only reasonable addition would be Octolings as DLC. What, you want DJ Octavio in his giant mech? Or Crusty Sean? Really my dude, think of the logistics of how they'd play.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
"I would’ve preferred them to add Yangus, Angelo, or Jessica from Dragon Quest 8 instead of Banjo-Kazooie."

That's the only comment that made me legitimately angry. Come on dude, you got FOUR Dragon Quest protagonists. They fan serviced enough for that fanbase. Let us have our win.
On average, the DQ fanbase prefers the secondary characters more. The person in question really should have expected that Sakurai wasn't going to break his "main character first" pattern, even for that series.

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
[Edit] Oops, I thought B&K's stock icon was added to the various mains list under our posts. Or is it just not working on my end?

Instantly changed my main to Banjo & Kazooie. Sorry DK.
For real though, B&K are the only characters I could ever say with 100% confidence that I'm committed to maining before they even release.
With all other characters, it I took more of a cautionary "I love that they're in the game, but if they don't mesh with my play-style, or are near Brawl Ganon levels of bad, I might not play them very much." approach.

Banjo & Kazooie though? Not even a bit of hesitation. They'll be my most played characters, easily.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
:ultbanjokazooie: :ultbanjokazooie: :ultbanjokazooie: :ultbanjokazooie: :ultbanjokazooie:

Banjo & Kazooie have been added to premium post backgrounds, postbits and smileys
Thanks Warchamp! The reveal was shocking and awesome, seeing them on the official website was a dream come true, and now I can further the hype by adding Banjo & Kazooie as my main. :ultbanjokazooie:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I’ve been playing through Banjo-Kazooie again and just finished Freezeezy Peak (mostly because I can’t leave worlds unfinished) from where I left off with my friends yesterday, next time we’ll finish the game together whenever they get the chance to come over again. :grin:

D

Deleted member

Has this been posted yet? It's a pretty great breakdown of Japanese reactions to Banjo:

https://legendsoflocalization.com/what-do-japanese-fans-think-of-banjo-kazooie-in-smash-bros/

Overall very positive, with a few funny remarks like...

"What a joke. They should add characters from Splatoon, not these characters nobody knows!"
"When I try to remember Banjo-Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot keeps coming to mind instead."
"Now we just need Geno!! Please, give us Geno!!"

My favorite reaction probably being...

"I’m happy with Square’s long-awaited Dragon Quest representation, but Rare’s Banjo-Kazooie addition makes me many times happier. I can’t believe we can finally see Donkey Kong and Banjo-Kazooie together at last!"

But remember, they're unpopular has-beens as far as Japan is concerned and that's why they're never getting in.
This one got me though:

The sound effect when Diddy wakes up K. Rool sounded so much like the balloons in Diddy Kong Racing that I cried
Actually now that i think of it, it did sound similar.

BZocky

Smash Ace
The Banjo-Kazooie Totaku got a pre-order restock last night on GameStop's website. I used this as an opportunity to finally snag one (well, two; one for collecting and one to unbox) after months of raking through overpriced eBay listings. They still haven't sold out so make sure they do asap!
Pre-Order Link

D

Deleted member

Wasn't there a piece of Banjo & Kazooie merchandise that had a Rare pin on Banjo's Backpack like his Smash design?

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
The Banjo-Kazooie Totaku got a pre-order restock last night on GameStop's website. I used this as an opportunity to finally snag one (well, two; one for collecting and one to unbox) after months of raking through overpriced eBay listings. They still haven't sold out so make sure they do asap!
Pre-Order Link
Huh, I actually quite wanted that. I only have the Conker one at the moment.

oh, and I also have the Sackboy one

JonSmash

Smash Ace
I kinda want banjo in crash team racing now, after all banjo is a world class racer ! Diddy kong racing, banjo pilot, Nuts & Bolts & Sonic Allstar racing (I also want him in mario kart 8)

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I kinda want banjo in crash team racing now, after all banjo is a world class racer ! Diddy kong racing, banjo pilot, Nuts & Bolts & Sonic Allstar racing (I also want him in mario kart 8)
I have no reason to get another Mario Kart after Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. But if it had Banjo? No question I would play it. Of course, it's taken them this long to branch outside of the Marioverse, I think third party characters are much farther down the line. But who better than a former Nintendo icon?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm kind of surprised that Rare hasn't made their own kart racing game. It seems like that would be up their alley, and after the success of Rare Replay, they could bring so many of their franchises together.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Pre-Order Link
I just snagged one as well and it will look great next to my Banjo-Kazooie Stubbins plushie. :grin:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm kind of surprised that Rare hasn't made their own kart racing game. It seems like that would be up their alley, and after the success of Rare Replay, they could bring so many of their franchises together.
Xbox audience doesn't have much kids, so they won't, or can't bother.

They'll most likely just stick to low-budget Port Royal for the foreseeable future, seeing as the current staff has no ambition beyond that.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Xbox audience doesn't have much kids, so they won't, or can't bother.

They'll most likely just stick to low-budget Port Royal for the foreseeable future, seeing as the current staff has no ambition beyond that.
Exactly. Rare doesn't give a **** about their former IP, and if anything happens, it'll be due to an external source--Nintendo asking for Banjo & Kazooie in Smash, another company taking on one of their franchises. In some ways, they're too ambitious--always looking forward, never looking back, despite the sweet spot being somewhere in between.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
So I can't be the only one annoyed with how Banjo-Kazooie's abbreviation has become "Banjo." Why not just BK? What's worse is that in SO many reactions people have said "He's in! He's in Smash!" It's THEY! They're a dual character! It's like Kazooie doesn't even exist just because she's named second in the title... SHE MAKES UP LIKE 90% OF THEIR ATTACKS YOU KNOW! :c

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
So I can't be the only one annoyed with how Banjo-Kazooie's abbreviation has become "Banjo." Why not just BK? What's worse is that in SO many reactions people have said "He's in! He's in Smash!" It's THEY! They're a dual character! It's like Kazooie doesn't even exist just because she's named second in the title... SHE MAKES UP LIKE 90% OF THEIR ATTACKS YOU KNOW! :c
If Kazooie could talk to those people not mentioning her, she’d definitely give them an ear full because she has no chill. :laugh:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
It's easier to just say Banjo.

It's like with Rosalina & Luma. The Lumas are an important part of her moveset, but it's just easier to say Rosalina.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
It's easier to just say Banjo.

It's like with Rosalina & Luma. The Lumas are an important part of her moveset, but it's just easier to say Rosalina.
BK is even easier. I guess that part is more of a nitpick than saying “He” when referring to them. That’s just plain erasing Kazooie from the equation.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
For those who might be curious, Legends of Localization compiled a large handful of Japanese reactions to the bear & bird.

Nothing too unexpected. Almost all happy folks, a few "Who?"s here and there, and then one rando complaining about how we didn't get another Splatoon character instead of a character no one cares about (wat).

But yeah, no toes seemed to have been stepped on despite Banjo not being a Japanese property.

Also, :ultbanjokazooie:. I need to flex this emote a few times because it just feels so, so right. :ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie:.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Pre-Order Link
Ooofff I definitely dropped $35 on one of these a couple weeks ago. My brother will appreciate this though, thanks!

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
They had one in development some years ago. It was going to include all sorts of Rare characters: Banjo (interestingly without Kazooie; his backpack just had some cartoon meat in it), Sabreman, Rash from Battletoads, Vela from Jet Force Gemini, Joanna Dark, and others. There's concept art of it floating around the internet.

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
I had to clear cached images from my browser history to see it--was able to tell that was the issue by viewing the forum in a browser I never use.
Ah, that fixed it for me. Thanks for the tip.

I feel the same way. I adore both of them, but I've always been partial to Kazooie. So excluding her when referencing the duo is something I've always avoided, to the point where it's become second nature to include them both at all times.
I simply call them B&K when I want to be brief.

Also, :ultbanjokazooie:. I need to flex this emote a few times because it just feels so, so right. :ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie:.
May I join you?
:ultbanjokazooie: :ultbanjokazooie: :ultbanjokazooie:
Ah, you're right, that is cathartic! :ultbanjokazooie:

Gekkouga

Smash Cadet
Well, that's how you id people who aren't really big on the BK series.

At least for me, Kazooie has always been the showstopper. Banjo is a goofy, adorable fella, but so are many many other characters in gaming. Kazooie is a snarky, shady, hilarious ***** and I love her so much for it. Her chemistry and dynamics with Bottles, Mumbo, Klungo and Jamjars are top notch. In the games, I absolutely loved playing as solo Kaz. When you get to use Glide for the very first time in the Icicle Grotto part of Hailfire Peaks, you'll feel free and fulfilled. That's honestly my favorite part about Banjo Tooie.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Kazooie is definitely the highlight of the duo for me. When she goes solo in Tooie, she's so much fun. Her movement is incredible, even before the glide you can jump so far and her back flip is just incredible.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
For me personally, I think it's fine casually calling the duo Banjo--in a default state, Kazooie's in the backpack, so it does make sense. But it's good even when calling them "Banjo" to remember Kazooie does all the work.

And for those who aren't as familiar with the series, it'll be great for them to play Banjo & Kazooie and realize what a bad ass she is, and how much of a pushover Banjo is. They'll learn in due time. :chuckle:

Top Bottom