• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Chrollo.

fka president wario
The fact that Tansut hasn’t said a release date yet just makes me believe my theory of Erdrick keeps getting pushed back in favor of other characters more and more. I mean, like I said before we know Joker wasn’t originally supposed to be the first DLC fighter and he was pushed ahead of them as Sakurai outright said this. If Banjo also got pushed in front of him I wouldn’t be surprised at all. Really, I can see this being the timeline:

- Erdrick was the first planned DLC as apart of the deal with Square to allow Cloud in the base game
- The Game Awards come around, Nintendo wants a big announcement. Enter Joker. (Pretty sure Sakurai even outright said as such).
- Joker’s pushed far ahead of his release date which is why he had zero gameplay at TGA, Erdrick is pushed back
- Banjo is the second DLC Fighter, always planned to be revealed at E3 as they need a big announcement there too, thus unintentionally pushing Erdrick back some more(Although there still could be two reveals, just unlikely). This makes sense since Sakurai also said that the 2nd and 3rd DLC Fighters were being worked on at once. Erdrick was supposed to be released first, so he already had work done, and Banjo was supposed to be revealed at E3, so he was getting work done for him.

I could very well be wrong but right now I think this may be likely.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
The fact that Tansut hasn’t said a release date yet just makes me believe my theory of Erdrick keeps getting pushed back in favor of other characters more and more. I mean, like I said before we know Joker wasn’t originally supposed to be the first DLC fighter and he was pushed ahead of them as Sakurai outright said this. If Banjo also got pushed in front of him I wouldn’t be surprised at all. Really, I can see this being the timeline:

- Erdrick was the first planned DLC as apart of the deal with Square to allow Cloud in the base game
- The Game Awards come around, Nintendo wants a big announcement. Enter Joker. (Pretty sure Sakurai even outright said as such).
- Joker’s pushed far ahead of his release date which is why he had zero gameplay at TGA, Erdrick is pushed back
- Banjo is the second DLC Fighter, always planned to be revealed at E3 as they need a big announcement there too, thus unintentionally pushing Erdrick back some more(Although there still could be two reveals, just unlikely). This makes sense since Sakurai also said that the 2nd and 3rd DLC Fighters were being worked on at once. Erdrick was supposed to be released first, so he already had work done, and Banjo was supposed to be revealed at E3, so he was getting work done for him.

Or Erdrick could've just been leakbait from SE/Nintendo lol

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Or Erdrick could've just been leakbait from SE/Nintendo lol
Plot Twist: Erdrick was thrown out to hide the actual, even wilder Square-Enix pick that will be revealed on Tuesday.
If Erdrick is leakbait and Sora is out, than that means we are getting either Geno or Crono which are like the best two options from SE.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Or there's never been an additional SE character coming in the first place, and the reason SE got pissed was because of Tansut's source leaking Cloud last game.

But seriously, I dunno you guys, this all feels like moving the goalpost for something that may not happen.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I hope we get 2 characters. It would make sense since we basically didn't get a single character announcement in 1Q, 2019.

Regarding Banjo-Kazooie, if they do a remake, I hope they remove those stupid Game Over screens or at least only use them when you actually die rather than quit to save. I am also trying Banjo-Tooie (recently got Rare Replay for Xbox One) and man is it an improvement over the original. The original wasn't bad but Banjo-Tooie blows it away.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I know I’m just a dreamer, but I believe we’ll get Banjo announced as a DLC fighter along with Kazooie + Tooie both being brought to the Switch.

A Banjo-Threeie announcement on top of all of that would be the icing on the cake.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
As for it being very much implied that we’re only getting one DLC reveal at E3 and the Erdrick factor, from everything we know Erdrick WAS the first DLC Fighter being worked on, even before release but they decided to focus all their assets on Joker instead. So it can very well be the same situation where they wanted to focus on Banjo over Erdrick.
Hypothetically assuming this is true just for speculation purposes, this doesn't bode well for Erdrick's appeal. Say he was to be the first FP reveal and the furthest along. Then Nintendo wanted Smash news at the VGAs and decides it would be more newsworthy to announce a character barely started with zero gameplay from a smaller franchise than a character better completed hailing from an iconic one. So they skip him because he wouldn't be noteworthy enough?

Then he gets pushed to slot # 2 where the next reveal event turns out to be E3. So instead of making that his debut, they delay him again in order to showcase another later character because that character would make a bigger impact?

That does not look well about Erdrick connecting to Smash fans. That would also be terrible marketing for a character and shows a lack of faith in him from Nintendo.

ze9

Smash Ace
In my opinion pairing Erdrick with Banjo (or some other more requested character) would be the best way to get him to be well-received.
With all due respect to Dragon Quest, I don't think he could stand on his own really that well. Especially not at E3.
...but Nintendo has taken weirder decisions, so what do I know.

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
In my opinion pairing Erdrick with Banjo (or some other more requested character) would be the best way to get him to be well-received.
I don't think he could stay on his own really that well. Especially not at E3.
...but Nintendo has taken weirder decisions, so what do I know.
Why do you think that? Isn’t DQ mainly only popular in Japan? Most of the West wouldn’t care about Erdrick. But if I recall correctly Banjo did well in polls in both Japans and the West.

I always figured Banjo would do better than Erdrick at something like E3.

Never mind, I think I read your post wrong lol.... I agree.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
The one image that will spread if shinobi gets it wrong (that is, Banjo is not the character announced at E3). Found on another forum.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
That wouldn't work because Banjo Kazooie is such a requested character with so much hype and expectation surrounding them that Erdrick would be entirely overshadowed in the west. That is not good if they want to market Dragon Quest to the western audience which is what people are assuming Square Enix is trying to do.

I think the best way to do a character like Erdrick is wait for Banjo Kazooie's hype in Smash Bros to pass and get everyone back to expecting the next fighter's pass

That's why Simon and King K. Rool were shown together because they are just requested as each other in both the west and east.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
That's why Simon and King K. Rool were shown together because they are just requested as each other in both the west and east.
That's not accurate. Simon was overshadowed a bit but the reason he could be shown and not forgotten was because he's a game icon. K Rool massively dwarfed his popularity in Smash everywhere.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
That's not accurate. Simon was overshadowed a bit but the reason he could be shown and not forgotten was because he's a game icon. K Rool massively dwarfed his popularity in Smash everywhere.
Also, Simon was leaked beforehand (both by insiders AND Nintendo) and people expected him far more once Snake came back, showing that Konami was willing to play ball with their characters.

K Rool was not leaked, thought completely off the table due to 'relevancy,' and came at the end of the Direct so his reveal was uninterrupted (Simon/Richter had to have attention moved onto the game itself and echoes since they were the start of the Direct).

Simon was anticipated; K Rool was a pipe dream.

ze9

Smash Ace
That wouldn't work because Banjo Kazooie is such a requested character with so much hype and expectation surrounding them that Erdrick would be entirely overshadowed in the west. That is not good if they want to market Dragon Quest to the western audience which is what people are assuming Square Enix is trying to do.

I think the best way to do a character like Erdrick is wait for Banjo Kazooie's hype in Smash Bros to pass and get everyone back to expecting the next fighter's pass

Dunno.
If, say, they release Banjo and Erdrick together, I'll be so pumped and blinded by hype thanks to Banjo that I'll also happily buy Erdrick too, appreciating that Banjo has earned its place in the biggest gaming crossover ever together with a series as influential as Dragon Quest.
If they release Erdrick on his own... it'll be just Erdrick on his own, and I'm not sure if I'll be very hyped.

Basically, Erdrick is the brain. Banjo is the guts.
It's good to satisfy the brain, but what really gets you excited is satisfying the guts. That part can't be missing.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm still not convinced by Tansut or Vergeben's word. Tansut on record, only has one valid leak with Cloud and that was mere hours before his reveal and while Vergeben got a lot right with the base roster, he has yet to get anything right about the DLC.
I want to point out that Tansut leaked Cloud's exact release date as well, not simply he'd be in the game. He didn't watch the direct early, he knew a lot more.

It doesn't mean he knows anything for sure about Edrick. It could still be leakbait. But the Cloud thing is definitely insider information. No way he didn't have information in that context.

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice
While we're waiting on Sabi's leaks, y'all have to keep in mind that her leaks could turn out to be wrong as well (not a dig at Sabi btw, she could just be given faulty information).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While we're waiting on Sabi's leaks, y'all have to keep in mind that her leaks could turn out to be wrong as well (not a dig at Sabi btw, she could just be given faulty information).
Speaking of, has she ever had faulty information?

She's very credible regardless. So is Verge too, of course.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of, has she ever had faulty information?

She's very credible regardless. So is Verge too, of course.
The closest thing i can remember to her beign wrong is her backing Xenother (who stated that Steve would be playable and that there would be a January Direct) as far as im concerned Xenother has not leaked anything super notable, correct me if im wrong.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The closest thing i can remember to her beign wrong is her backing Xenother (who stated that Steve would be playable and that there would be a January Direct) as far as im concerned Xenother has not leaked anything super notable, correct me if im wrong.
She believed in Xenother's word and didn't think he was lying, at least. Her posts about him on GameFAQs showed a lot of support for Steve and all of his info at that time, though. When it comes to stuff straight from her own source, though, Sabi's not once been wrong.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
So if there are no remakes of Kazooie/Tooie then were all those figures, like the First4Figures, Totaku, and Cable Guy, really Banjo’s Smash design all along?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So if there are no remakes of Kazooie/Tooie then were all those figures, like the First4Figures, Totaku, and Cable Guy, really Banjo’s Smash design all along?
Either that or to promote Rare Replay being on Switch.

There's 3 uses for it, really. You also forgot a new BK game altogether.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
I assume that Sabi hasn't revealed the new character yet, and if he hasn't, I implore you all to avoid it. Assuming that we are getting Banjo & Kazooie on Tuesday, it'll be his only first time in Smash and you'll never be able to replicate the same feeling of seeing them come back, in Smash no less, after almost 20 years. We've all waited this long for them and I think we should wait just two more days to see them return properly.

Also, just to make sure that this message is clear, put any actual spoilers from Sabi or wherever under a spoiler, whether Banjo is in or not, for those us of who want to go in blind.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not neccessarily, it could just be merchandising for the heck of it. But then again, Simon Belmont used his Classic Look in Super Bomberman R, the First 4 Figures design, and Grimoire of Souls, which inadvertedly ended up foreshadowing his look in Smash, so who knows?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
At that point I really do think so. What would be even more curious if ALL this stuff ended up being nothing. I'm used to being set up but this time around it would just feel like a giant blue ball.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I want to point out that Tansut leaked Cloud's exact release date as well, not simply he'd be in the game. He didn't watch the direct early, he knew a lot more.
Exact release date?

This is the post you're talking about right? Granted he said December but unless he has another statement saying the day Cloud was released, I'm inclined to disagree at the moment.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Something else we have to think about. Nintendo has stated that all DLC characters will be released before February 2020.

Going by that, Piranha Plant was released in February, counting them there are 6 Planned DLC characters. What does this mean? Well, it means that at the very least, considering the 12 months from PP's release to February 2020 there is going to have to be a character released at least every 2 months. It's been 2 months since Joker's release. Whoever the 2nd DLC character is, it is likely we are going to get them immediately after the Direct; like they did with Ryu, Lucas, and Roy, or the week following. Meaning that we COULD get a second character announcement alongside the approaching character.

What I'm saying is, we'll likely get a character RELEASE within the next week or so. MEANING if they want to uphold a sense hype and pacing we COULD get an announcement for who we will get in August because they very rarely do another Direct so close to E3, often choosing to wait till September which is usually a big Direct month.

I think we are getting two announcements. I really REALLY do.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Exact release date?

This is the post you're talking about right? Granted he said December but unless he has another statement saying the day Cloud was released, I'm inclined to disagree at the moment.
He had another completely different statement.

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice
Sabi's begun leaking Xbox stuff for their conference. No mention of Banjo, but it seems by no means a complete list and is intending to keep things a surprise.

Xbox said to expect at least 14 games at their conference and most she listed are third party stuff.

Last edited:

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Hypothetically assuming this is true just for speculation purposes, this doesn't bode well for Erdrick's appeal. Say he was to be the first FP reveal and the furthest along. Then Nintendo wanted Smash news at the VGAs and decides it would be more newsworthy to announce a character barely started with zero gameplay from a smaller franchise than a character better completed hailing from an iconic one. So they skip him because he wouldn't be noteworthy enough?

Then he gets pushed to slot # 2 where the next reveal event turns out to be E3. So instead of making that his debut, they delay him again in order to showcase another later character because that character would make a bigger impact?

That does not look well about Erdrick connecting to Smash fans. That would also be terrible marketing for a character and shows a lack of faith in him from Nintendo.
I mean, the current theory(Not just mine, just something I’ve seen around in general) is that Erdrick is mainly in as compensation for Cloud being base game since Square gets more profits from DLC. So while I doubt they’re gonna treat him awfully, I can see him not being that much of a high priority.
However if Erdrick was once again delayed for Banjo, I fully expect him to be DLC #3.

And the thing with Erdrick is that while he’s an iconic character in his series, he’s mainly popular in Japan. Nintendo does tend to selective on who they announce and when. Shulk was announced in a Japanese Direct after all. Now I don’t think the same would happen to Erdrick but I can see him being revealed at a regular direct due to his popularity not exactly being worldwide.

D

Deleted member

Here's a question for you all: Do you think shinobi hinting at Banjo means a reveal at E3 is guaranteed, or can it mean that Banjo is one of the Fighter Pass characters, but won't be announced at E3?
I've said it before but if Banjo is a no-show at E3 I don't think that makes him impossible, he could very well be revealed later.
I would prefer him at E3 because then I won't have to worry about it any more, but it wouldn't be the end of the world

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Something else we have to think about. Nintendo has stated that all DLC characters will be released before February 2020.

Going by that, Piranha Plant was released in February, counting them there are 6 Planned DLC characters. What does this mean? Well, it means that at the very least, considering the 12 months from PP's release to February 2020 there is going to have to be a character released at least every 2 months. It's been 2 months since Joker's release. Whoever the 2nd DLC character is, it is likely we are going to get them immediately after the Direct; like they did with Ryu, Lucas, and Roy, or the week following. Meaning that we COULD get a second character announcement alongside the approaching character.

What I'm saying is, we'll likely get a character RELEASE within the next week or so. MEANING if they want to uphold a sense hype and pacing we COULD get an announcement for who we will get in August because they very rarely do another Direct so close to E3, often choosing to wait till September which is usually a big Direct month.

I think we are getting two announcements. I really REALLY do.
I agree. If we’re going to get these 5 DLC characters before Feb. 2020 we need to get the second one pretty soon. I think if Banjo is announced we might end up getting him before the end of the month. I could see Erdrick getting announced to be coming in maybe September.

ze9

Smash Ace
Another thing that may bode well for our duo. This is all conjecture, though, but we're bored so I've decided to share it.

One of the reasons Banjo never felt likey at all was also Sakurai's apparent apathy towards Rare stuff. Especially after how Smash 4 treated DKC, there was all the reason to think that Sakurai just wasn't a fan of Rare's games at all.
But if you think about it...
-Sheik's side B back in Melee was straight up taken from how Simon uses his whip in Castlevania IV
-Ike's final smash has always been inspired, if not kinda ripped-off, from Cloud's Omnislash
-Zero Suit Samus' redesign in Smash 4 owes something to Bayonetta's fighting style
-Smash Ultimate's menu design is apparently inspired by Persona 5's menu design

Of course, later Simon, Cloud, Bayo and Joker all got in, and it turned out that Sakurai was a fan of all those franchises all along.
Now, if we look at Duck Hunt, it's obvious that the inspiration must have been Banjo-Kazooie. The dog and the duck were never even paired in the original game, and the way they move and attack in tandem is very reminiscent of the way bear & bird do it.
So what I'm trying to say is, Sakurai may secretly a Banjo fan, ahah.
Well and of course, if he has some passion for a franchise, it's more likely that it will get included in Smash.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting déjà vu with how similar this feels to the Ridley situation before he was revealed at E3 last year.

If this is true, then this really speaks to Nintendo's lack of confidence in Erdrick and that the character isn't nearly as popular as they think/hope he is.

A character that's really only popular in Japan that the fans only started talking about after a couple leakers hinted at him is not someone you show off at a Western event like E3.

You reveal a character like Banjo-Kazooie, someone that the fans have been requesting since before Melee.

If I was Nintendo, I would want to hype people as much as possible with another Ridley-esque reveal. That's not Erdrick. That's Banjo-Kazooie.

Top Bottom