• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Anyone ever watched a video called History of Smash Bros. Rumors and Leaks? I'll post the link if anyone wants to see it. It even has a section on an old leak from Brawl that was here on the Smash Boards!

I gotta say, with this surge of info coming in, I'm glad I bought the Fighter's Pass.

I was worried once talks of Steve and Erdrick were circulating for so long that I made a bad purchase, or at least one where it wasn't going to get a lot of use.

But Banjo would be a great character to join the roster. And here's hoping we get Rareware Spirits and not just Banjo Spirits (just give me a Spirit Battle where I can fight Juno, Vela, and Lupus).
Where did you guys find those custom stock icons of Banjo and Shantae?!

D

Deleted member

Man I feel like I’m the only one around here that doesn’t have any sort of connection or want for either Joker and Erdrick :v

But more power to all of you I guess,
It's alright.

You are free to enjoy anything you want without being forced.

I do also feel meh about certain picks (Bandana Dee or a Dark Souls rep for example), but I respect many people who support them since they tend to be kind and cool with me.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
It's alright.

You are free to enjoy anything you want without being forced.

I do also feel meh about certain picks (Bandana Dee or a Dark Souls rep for example), but I respect many people who support them since they tend to be kind and cool with me.
I’ve just grown so bitter due to smash 4 dlc and Joker. There hasn’t been a dlc announcement I have been excited for except Banjo. And I just guess I’ve gotten super jealous that others are getting stuff they can get excited about.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I’ve just grown so bitter due to smash 4 dlc and Joker. There hasn’t been a dlc announcement I have been excited for except Banjo. And I just guess I’ve gotten super jealous that others are getting stuff they can get excited about.
What other characters in particular would result in M A X I M U M H Y P E for you, exactly?

D

Deleted member

Time will probably put things into place.

Just remember that nobody is deconfirmed until Sakurai or Nintendo claims so.
I'm sure that we will get a second pass if this one is a success, which will bring even more chances for other characters.

As a Crash supporter, I can say that hope should never be lost as long as it exists.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Whatever, just don't be shocked if nothing happens at the end of the tournament.

Anyway, there's only a really small handful of characters I wouldn't care about if they got in, so I'm fairly open to things. Luckily, Kiddy Kong's chances are like a snowball in hell.

Time will probably put things into place.

Just remember that nobody is deconfirmed until Sakurai or Nintendo claims so.
I'm sure that we will get a second pass if this one is a success, which will bring even more chances for other characters.

As a Crash supporter, I can say that hope should never be lost as long as it exists.
Also, the WOL slots datamine has yet to be disproven, so it might be likely.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
That's true, and I'd really love Crono, but I'm absolutely fine with Erdrick.
He'd actually be my 2nd pick after Crono, I think. I'd prefer Geno, though, because his fans deserve a victory.
Crono makes it so hard to figure out the Smash fanbase sometimes. There is much whining about sword users, anime characters, Goku, dead series, one shot characters being added to Smash. Its constantly argued against and people have very vocally voiced how they demand that those types should not be playable, either at all or anymore.

Then Crono is brought up, and the same fanbase is neutral or positive to his addition. How can you (general 'you') complain about Goku, FE and anime swordsman and then suggest adding literal sword Goku?

I know the smash fanbase is very large, but in general discussion, when FE is brought up, the anti-sword anime group is soon there. So, where did they go when Crono is brought up?

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I'm with you, MissingGlitch. I was uber disappointed with the Sm4sh DLC when it was coming out. Ryu and Cloud were surprising inclusions and I was pretty excited for people who were fans of those series, but getting characters like Bayonetta and especially Corrin was super disappointing especially when they were the final inclusions and Corrin was clearly just a promotional character for Fates adding yet another FE rep. And I too have no connection to Persona whatsoever, it was never a big Nintendo thing in my eyes so when Joker got revealed after Piranha Plant of all characters I was like "REALLY?! WHY!?" But I swear Banjo & Kazooie will more than make up for years of disappointment if they get in. If they don't, well, I suppose my expectations and disappointment. can't get any lower than they already are.

And speaking of stuff people are getting excited for, I'm surprised Spongebob's Battle for Bikini Bottom was getting so hyped up yesterday! I assumed it was just another silly tie-in game like any other franchise getting a game on a console! If people got so hyped up for that, I can only imagine how the Internet will react if Banjo & Kazooie make it into Smash and hopefully get a port/remaster of their games on the Xbox and Switch.

ze9

Smash Ace
Man I feel like I’m the only one around here that doesn’t have any sort of connection or want for either Joker and Erdrick :v

But more power to all of you I guess,
I'm with you, actually. It's just that apart from Banjo, the last few important 1st party characters, and some pipe dream character (Bomberman, Crono, Doom guy, Leon S. Kennedy, maybe Frisk or Sans) I don't really care who gets in.
I mainly approve of Erdrick because DQ is, objectively speaking, a really big piece of gaming history and it'd be cool to have it in Smash + I like Toriyama's art style.
But I don't really care about him the way I do about Banjo or Dixie or Skull Kid.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Crono makes it so hard to figure out the Smash fanbase sometimes. There is much whining about sword users, anime characters, Goku, dead series, one shot characters being added to Smash. Its constantly argued against and people have very vocally voiced how they demand that those types should not be playable, either at all or anymore.

Then Crono is brought up, and the same fanbase is neutral or positive to his addition. How can you (general 'you') complain about Goku, FE and anime swordsman and then suggest adding literal sword Goku?

I know the smash fanbase is very large, but in general discussion, when FE is brought up, the anti-sword anime group is soon there. So, where did they go when Crono is brought up?
Anti-Sword is something that just became a general argument. Really, it started out with people being upset that FE has a lot of weapon varieties, but the characters chosen all use swords (which pretty much every Lord/Main character uses one, so that's on the developers). Then people just complained the variety of weapon users was lacking. I mean, we have two fighters with a hammer, a couple with modern weapons like guns and grenades, the Belmonts use a whip, and a couple of fighters use a bow. Other than that, it's purely swords, not much in variety. Some of us just want to see someone wield a different weapon (or, at the very least, have a moveset that isn't dictated entirely by it like Robin or is clever in it's use like Shulk's Monado Arts).

As for Crono v Erdrick, I think it's because Chrono Trigger is just more beloved here than Dragon Quest, honestly.

Last edited:

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
I second this, I mean Cloud and Ryu were "okay" but its nothing that made me freak out or get a kick out of, half of the DLC was returning Vets and the other half consisted of Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta and an FE character that should of been Free, to be frank about it, it sucked.

I bought all of the DLC for Wii U and looking back on it I have regretted it ever since, I only did it for the Extra Stages and characters to play with friends on but man it just did not sit well with me at all over time, but on another note, if Banjo does get revealed I'll be more than happy to buy the Fighters pass, More characters plus the one character I've wanted since Smash 64, Win/Win in my book.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Whatever, just don't be shocked if nothing happens at the end of the tournament.

Anyway, there's only a really small handful of characters I wouldn't care about if they got in, so I'm fairly open to things. Luckily, Kiddy Kong's chances are like a snowball in hell.

Also, the WOL slots datamine has yet to be disproven, so it might be likely.
WOL Slots? As in World of Light? What slots?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
What other characters in particular would result in M A X I M U M H Y P E for you, exactly?
Well if I had to make a list.
1. Phoenix Wright
2. Doom Guy
3. TF2 character (Heavy, Scout, Soldier)
4. Overwatch character (Tracer, D.va, Mei, Reaper)
5. Geno
6. Hat Kid
7. Vault Boy
8. Tails/Knuckles
9. Skull Kid
10. Conker
11. Crash
12. Spyro
13. Bomberman
14. Master Chief
15. Dig Dug
Just to name a few anyway.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Well if I had to make a list.
1. Phoenix Wright
2. Doom Guy
3. TF2 character (Heavy, Scout, Soldier)
4. Overwatch character (Tracer, D.va, Mei, Reaper)
5. Geno
6. Hat Kid
7. Vault Boy
8. Tails/Knuckles
9. Skull Kid
10. Conker
Just to name a few anyway.
Strong second on Phoenix, Doom Dude, Geno, Spyro, Crash, and Skull Kid. Wouldn't mind Hat Kid, Dig Dug, or another Sonic character either, for that matter. I feel like somehow, Phoenix might have a small but very real shot, depending on what gets announced at TGS this year...

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Anti-Sword is something that just became a general argument. Really, it started out with people being upset that FE has a lot of weapon varieties, but the characters chosen all use swords (which pretty much every Lord/Main character uses one, so that's on the developers). Then people just complained the variety of weapon users was lacking. I mean, we have two fighters with a hammer, a couple with modern weapons like guns and grenades, the Belmonts use a whip, and a couple of fighters use a bow. Other than that, it's purely swords, not much in variety. Some of us just want to see someone wield a different weapon (or, at the very least, have a moveset that isn't dictated entirely by it or is clever in it's use, like Shulk's Monado Arts).

As for Crono v Erdrick, I think it's because Chrono Trigger is just more beloved here than Dragon Quest, honestly.
Oh that's nothing compared to someone I met on the Nintendo Everything comments. He is someone who thinks that Dragon Ball having tons of games automatically makes Goku a video game character and able to add to the roster. Me and many others told him Goku originated in manga and thus cannot join, but he got salty and blocked me.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Now that I think about it, Doom Guy is essentially a parallel of Erdrick in these two ways.
- Doom popularised First Person Shooters, Dragon Quest popularised JRPGs
- Doom is unknown in the east, Dragon Quest is unknown in the west.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Now that I think about it, Doom Guy is essentially a parallel of Erdrick in these two ways.
- Doom popularised First Person Shooters, Dragon Quest popularised JRPGs
- Doom is unknown in the east, Dragon Quest is unknown in the west.
Perfectly balanced. As all things should be.

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, Doomguy also seems likely.

Although he seems like a Game Awards or Quake Con-kind of thing reveal for me, tbh.

But yeah, I would love him too.

SKX31

Smash Master
I have a laundry list, both Nintendo and Third Party. But to keep things short-ish:

Nintendo:

1. Project H.A.M.M.E.R.'s protagonist (the game had promise, Nintendo! Why did you cancel it outright?)
2. Krystal
3. Jody Summers (F-Zero)
4. Style Savvy rep
5. Hades

Third party:

1. Master Chief
2. Scorpion
3. Kefka
4. Lara Croft
5. Heihachi
(6. Edit, forgot this one: KOS-MOS)

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace

Yeah, I guess I'd be part of that group, lol. I really don't want anymore Fire Emblem, but I'd LOVE Crono.
For me personally, it's because I think that Chrono Trigger is a masterpiece, and it's a game I connected with a lot.
Plus, it's not only about Crono, but his universe in general. I imagine CT's stage and I can't help but get hyped. Time-travelling between the future, the middle ages, the prehistory and the day of Lavos? Or even just the kingdom of Zael? They would be great! And there's all that fantastic music, like, Corridors of time is in my top 10 videogame songs of all time, and the rest of the soundtrack is no slouch, either.
And personally, I think Crono's moveset would revolve around the sword and he himself only in part. He HAS to have a mechanic in which he can summon his companions (who all have great designs) like Frog, Robo and Marle, and gain access to different techs/special moves depending on who is with him.
I just feel his inclusion has a lot of potential for a lot of cool tings.
While Fire Emblem is a bit too boring and expected now, and I heavily dislike promotional picks anyways.
Other sword users don't appeal to me instantly, because objectivey there's a lot of them already in, and if I don't know their potential already (like I do for Crono) I'm instincively not very open to the idea.
I think it's a mix of these things or something like that for the majority of Crono's fans.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Music List:
B-K - Main Theme Spiral Mountain Treasure Trove Final Battle Gruntys Lair
B-T Mr Patches Cloud Cuckooland
NnB Main Theme Remix Showdown Town Banjo Land Test o Track

Also: Banjo NEEDS a jiggy/slide whistle transition into his victory screen after every W

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
So I guess it's safe to say we will be near 700 pages by the time we actually get the reveal haha

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
E3 is a venue in which companies show off their announcements, it's not that different than the game awards. ANd it could also be that a quick clip is shown, ala Joker, during the microsoft conference and the rest of B&K would be shown during the Nintendo conference. And B&K is a microsoft character, so it make sense to tease(even a slight tease) B&K for Smash than Nintendo shows off the rest. Though anything could happen, we will see.
E3 as a venue does show off lots of material from different companies. But the big difference between it and The Game Awards is that it is a multi-day event with multiple different press conferences that have traditionally been extremely focused on the content of the specific companies in question. The only major Nintendo related announcement that has come outside of Nintendo's own extensive coverage has been Mario + Rabbids, which was an extremely specific passion project by a team at Ubisoft that also had Mario share the equal spotlight with one of the more recognizable Ubisoft IPs in the Rabbids and they had already begged Nintendo to let it happen.

Smash is quite possibly the most definitive Nintendo related announcement you could have outside of Mario and Zelda. It's their property and we should expect them to handle all the announcements regarding Smash. The Game Awards allowed for specific companies to have announcements in essentially a pan-gaming show. Microsoft focuses on Microsoft games. I could be wrong, but I very seriously doubt that the Microsoft stage is the place to announce a character in Smash even if it came from them. That's just really not the stage for an announcement that only in name has anything to do with Microsoft's advertising of their own brand and console. E3 primarily exists for share holders anyway, so I think it's entirely fair to say that we shouldn't expect anything from Microsoft's conference related to Smash. It's a much bigger deal and get for Nintendo than Microsoft to have Banjo Kazooie in Smash after all.

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
The more I think about it the more I believe Brave references Banjo more than anything. I’m entering sanity as the wait goes on so I can’t help but search and analyze.
Who knows, maybe Brave really is just Erdrick and they simply didn’t think to add a real code name (See: Ryu and Roy straight up being in the games files for Smash 4 before release).

But every symbolism and tradition website I go on alludes to bears symbolizing courage, confidence, resilience, etc. In other words— bravery. Whether it be in Native Indian culture or eastern symbolism of the bear, it always goes to bravery. Joker, a jack of all trades. Banjo, a brave bear. Erdrick, a brave...hero (also his class name)? PP being Pakkun is also quite obvious for him, but Pakkun itself in Japanese alludes to the sound of eating or chomping. While the names are meant to be code names and understandable to some extent, it just seems strange for Brave to literally be for Erdrick.

...I’m too interested in whether Banjo or Erdrick will be brave if either of them make it in.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Dragon Quest is much like Final Fantasy where it has assets owned by many different companies so if Erdrick is announced, we'll probably get two music tracks just like with Midgar.

Edit: Found the Twitter thread from where I heard it from. Billlybo10k covered this a while ago.
https://twitter.com/TheStarbDude/status/1114293851290730498 Warning: Minor swearing

Edit 2: If any of you are unsure of what I'm talking about, it's this quote.
"Negotiations are always brought up to denounce characters, but Erdrick, and DQ as a whole, has it rough. Bird Studios, Armor Project, Square Enix, Akira Toriyama, and Koichi Sugiyama. That's FIVE whole parties needed to be in the discussions."
It makes me wonder if Sora would have to be negotiated more than Erdrick.

Lemme see.

There is Square Enix, Tetsuya Nomura, Yoko Shimumura, and Disney of Japan. Wait, that is literally it. Holy crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I think for a lot of those who are upset at Banjo being in Smash, calling him obscure forget the main idea behind Super Smash is to be a NINTENDO all-star fighting game first and foremost. Smash has its guests like Snake, Cloud, and Joker, but it is ultimately about Nintendo.

This is not aimed against any particular character, just a main point for Banjo
And he's literally not obscure. He's a certifiable icon of his era.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
I've been in the same boat really. None of the DLC's so far really grabbed me. They are fine inclusions, though to me it's just kinda blaah. King K.Rool was the only newcomer to me that made me hype, and in fact is what convinced me to buy the game itself. I still am kind of shocked that this just might be the time I get something I've been wishing for. Im just staring up at my ceiling with the thought, "Holy crow this is actually happening."

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I still believe that we're getting a double reveal at E3. The deadline for all the DLC Fighter's Pass is Feb 2020. I suspect one will be released around September/October and another one around January/February.

The insiders and leakers seem to be convinced that it's Banjo and Erdrick right now and I'm inclined to agree.

Besides Banjo-Kazooie, other really hype choices for me would be:

Shantae
Geno
Another Zelda rep (don't really care who at this point as long as it's not another Link)
Ashley
Madeline (Celeste)
Chrono Trigger rep (not necessarily Chrono)
Kamek
Lara Croft
Aloy

To name a few. I'd prefer characters I'd have more of a connection with.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Give Banjo and Sora and I’ll literally give zero **** whoever’s next, Crash would be a bonus after them.

That reminds me, is it me or do Sora and Banjo surprisingly have a lot in common?

-Both brown haired/furred
-Both wear necklaces
-Are seen as unlikely to due being owned by a bigger company (Disney & Microsoft)
-Their created companies rhyme. (Square & Rare)
-Both come from action-based games. (JRPG and Platforming respectively)
-Both games have a solving theme with ordinary items. (keys/puzzle pieces)

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I still believe that we're getting a double reveal at E3. The deadline for all the DLC Fighter's Pass is Feb 2020. I suspect one will be released around September/October and another one around January/February.

The insiders and leakers seem to be convinced that it's Banjo and Erdrick right now and I'm inclined to agree.

Besides Banjo-Kazooie, other really hype choices for me would be:

Shantae
Geno
Another Zelda rep (don't really care who at this point as long as it's not another Link)
Ashley
Madeline (Celeste)
Chrono Trigger rep (not necessarily Chrono)
Kamek
Lara Croft
Aloy

To name a few. I'd prefer characters I'd have more of a connection with.
>Kamek

good post op

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
It makes me wonder if Sora would have to be negotiated more than Erdrick.

Lemme see.

There is Square Enix, Tetsuya Nomura, Yoko Shimumura, and Disney of Japan. Wait, that is literally it. Holy crap.
Disney’s by far the scariest to negotiate with on that list. At the same time Nintendo literally made and published the first Disney game in existence (Game & Watch Mickey Mouse). Epic Mickey was also a Wii exclusiv, so I’d imagine they’d be lenient for Sora alone at least with their somewhat barebones history of true collaboration.

It’s actually sad that Sora would probably get more music too, since he has a lot of orginal KH music (which would seemingly be easier to negotiate than Final Fantasy with the Walt Disney Record label publishing most of the music iirc). Does anybody really know how strict Disney would really be with a proposal like that? If Erdrick really was an alleged leak bait conspiracy and Sora got in with Banjo, that would be something else.

Bubblestand

Smash Cadet
I gotta say personally, I will purchase all of the dlc no matter what, this game wouldn’t feel complete to me without it all. Well, maybe not the mii costumes - I can just download all of the cool ones online. I already have tails and scorpion so I’m good lol

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
For me, I find them to be... alright. They're not the most complex characters in all of gaming, but they were never meant to be. That being said, I've only played Nuts & Bolts, so I may not have a true opinion, but I ultimately don't mind them. Although I should mention that I'm fully aware of their significance and why everybody loves them.
If you've only played Nuts & Bolts, you haven't played Banjo. I'm as big a Banjo fan as can be and I couldn't tolerate more than thirty minutes of Nuts & Bolts. If at all possible, play the N64 games. If you're a fan of Mario 64 or Mario Odyssey at all, Banjo-Kazooie is like a good version of that.

Also (and I don't mean to pick on you here), can we agree to stop using "Not the most complex characters" as a criticism? For one thing, Banjo and Kazooie are a bit more three-dimensional than most platformer mascots, and for another, simplicity has its strengths. It's a choice; it's not merely a lack of complexity.

They're also very, very funny. Real ha-ha funny. Like when they argue over whether to tell Bottles's family about his death, and it's like...

Goggles: "Are the amaze-o-gaze specs working? If not, I'm sure daddy can fix them for you."
Kazooie: "Yeah, but can anyone fix daddy?"
Banjo: "Er, Kazooie means your mom is just fixing up his dinner."

Stuff like that makes me happy. Mario's never made me guffaw like that.

On the note of not wanting human sword fighters, can I just say I really want another quadruped character? Surely they've gotten somewhat used to the basic idea of developing them, given how well Ivysaur turned out.

Amaterasu? Spyro? C'mon, Sakurai, you can make it happen.
Poochy or Rambi.

Top Bottom