• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I need to start mass producing Steve memes so I can be of use of our new Steve overlord if it does happen.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Has anyone brought this up before? No offense to any Steve fans.
Minecraft sBeve just got hit with a fat Nae Nae

Violante

Smash Apprentice
I mean before or after DLC started that is pretty damning lol. Imagine if Craig Duncan/Phil Spencer had ever said something like "Banjo is a washed up icon of old whose popularity could never compete with the likes of Mario and Sonic, no way".

At this point the character I'm thinking is most likely to usurp B-K's spot would be a Battletoad (Goodwill of the NES Era + upcoming game).

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I mean before or after DLC started that is pretty damning lol. Imagine if Craig Duncan/Phil Spencer had ever said something like "Banjo is a washed up icon of old whose popularity could never compete with the likes of Mario and Sonic, no way".

At this point the character I'm thinking is most likely to usurp B-K's spot would be a Battletoad (Goodwill of the NES Era + upcoming game).
They ain't gonna put in a Rare character and not have it be Banjo, regardless of Battletoads getting a new game.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Why does a battletoad sound so weird to me.

Maybe because I feel like a 3D model of it would be uncanny.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

This is Rash as he appears in Killer Instinct.

It looks okay...
Smash would have a slightly softer one. Besides, when they've made a K. Rool model that looks good, surely they'd do just as well with Rash.

Why does a battletoad sound so weird to me.

Maybe because I feel like a 3D model of it would be uncanny.
They had Smash Hits years before Smash Bros. 64 was in the womb.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I would imagine incineroar and the Battletoads being best friends.

They have the exact same body build.

Last edited:

Violante

Smash Apprentice
Pre-Rare's Comeback there was some debate as to whether or not their triumphant return would be marked by a Banjo or Battletoads game. Neither of these turned out to be the case and yet, for Rare Replay's box art they created an elaborate 3D render for Rash, just to match the alongside renders of other characters. This design was used again for Killer Instinct, and then finally a new game was announced in 2D where they didn't need it at all. I suspect Microsoft has been trying to manufacture a Battletoads revival for a while.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Either way, Steve announcement expectations have led to bupkis so far.

VGA, nothing.
Minecon, nothing.
X018, nothing.
GDC, yup, still nothing.

It's just been a game of "moving the goalpost" up to now, with the only apparent proof being leak rumors that may or may not have been misinterpretation.
To be fair, most of those events are not places to expect reveals for characters in Smash. The VGAs is the single exception since Smash 4 started doing newcomer trailers in which a character was announced at a non-Nintendo event. The VGAs are a special event where Nintendo has announced things before and the air date also coincided with the launch of Ultimate.

I feel like that's less "goalpost" moving and more "mistaking your 8K for a 5K" sort of logic.

Not that I'm super convinced Steve is in, but we see this consistently in which people expect announcements at non-Nintendo events and it never happens with the singular exception of VGAs 2018. The issue was that expectation of a reveal, not of Steve specifically and then moving when's he being announced.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Has anyone brought this up before? No offense to any Steve fans.
I'm willing to bet she's being sarcastic, but it's weird how she doesn't add a "lol, kek, winky face" or anything suggesting it's a sarcastic remark.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I mean her tweet matches with the insider tip on producers of Minecraft not seeing Steve as a mascot to represent their franchise

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Aubrey isn't in charge of Minecraft, though, Jens is. Aubrey is one of the community managers/the senior manager according to her info stuffs, which take info from the community, ironically I've seen fans on the subreddit (where Mojang goes for community stuffs) like the idea of Steve in Smash.

I mean her tweet matches with the insider tip on producers of Minecraft not seeing Steve as a mascot to represent their franchise
Y'see this bugs me because Steve is used as a mascot of sorts anyway, and the guy who asked a community manager a question at Minecon also heard a dev say he'd like Steve or a Creeper in Smash.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
They might want the world to represent Minecraft and not one singular entity.

But someone tell their marketing that Since most Minecraft Merch is associated with Steve or Creeper.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
They might want the world to represent Minecraft and not one singular entity.

But someone tell their marketing that Since most Minecraft Merch is associated with Steve or Creeper.
Steve & Alex are the first faces you see on the website, even, aside from a dog's and a pig's.

and yeah, the creeper is prominent in Minecraft merch alongside Steve stuff.

Last edited:

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
Sorry guys, Rash can’t be in Smash anymore cause he’s in another fighting game. That’s how that works by the way.

I'm willing to bet she's being sarcastic, but it's weird how she doesn't add a "lol, kek, winky face" or anything suggesting it's a sarcastic remark.
I mean, sarcastic or not I imagine anyone associated with Minecraft wouldn’t be allowed to saying anything regarding Steve in Smash under an NDA

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
People say that once Smash Wii U DLC rolled around that Kamiya stopped commenting on Bayo in Smash. Is that true?

There seems to be a lot lining up that COULD be seen as deconfirmations of Steve but they're not as concrete as the Cuphead/Chief ones.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be fair, most of those events are not places to expect reveals for characters in Smash. The VGAs is the single exception since Smash 4 started doing newcomer trailers in which a character was announced at a non-Nintendo event. The VGAs are a special event where Nintendo has announced things before and the air date also coincided with the launch of Ultimate.

I feel like that's less "goalpost" moving and more "mistaking your 8K for a 5K" sort of logic.

Not that I'm super convinced Steve is in, but we see this consistently in which people expect announcements at non-Nintendo events and it never happens with the singular exception of VGAs 2018. The issue was that expectation of a reveal, not of Steve specifically and then moving when's he being announced.
Yeah, that's the thing. People keep crying for wolf in regards to Steve, when most events they expect him to have Smash stuff are from Microsoft. If I had a dollar for every time some event is surely assumed when he'll get a reveal, I would be able to get Joker for free.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
When you think about it, I don't even think Steve/Banjo are directly in competition with eachother. Yes, they're both under the Microsoft umbrella, but Minecraft is Mojang and Banjo is Rare. If Banjo gets in he won't represent Microsoft, he'll represent Rare (one of the biggest things pointing in his favour are the RARE spirits). I'm sure he'd come with Rare Mii costumes and such.

And even so, with 4 spots left on the pass, it's just as likely that neither are in, than that one or both are in.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
When you think about it, I don't even think Steve/Banjo are directly in competition with eachother. Yes, they're both under the Microsoft umbrella, but Minecraft is Mojang and Banjo is Rare. If Banjo gets in he won't represent Microsoft, he'll represent Rare (one of the biggest things pointing in his favour are the RARE spirits). I'm sure he'd come with Rare Mii costumes and such.

And even so, with 4 spots left on the pass, it's just as likely that neither are in, than that one or both are in.
That's a technicality. Even if Minecraft is Monang, the general public see Minecraft as a Microsoft product.

Its like how technically, Pokemon belongs to Game Freak and The Pokemon Company, but everyone in the world including us see them as a Nintendo product

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
They won't cancel him over this, not when he's literally done
Why do people think Nintendo cares so much of best buy leaking
Just out of curiosity, who do you guys think are still “missing” from Smash?

By that, I mean who do you feel like Smash would be “incomplete” without their eventual inclusion?

For me, in order:

Banjo
Rayman
Spyro
Crash
Sora
Dixie Kong
Dante
Geno
Isaac

Those aren’t even necessarily my most wanted in order (I want Crash before Spyro, and would prefer Ms. Pac-Man over Geno or Isaac), that’s just who I feel need to get in before the roster feels truly like EVERYBODY is here

(And none of this is to say I’m not happy with the roster as is; we’re already completely spoiled)
Banjo/Kazooie: Used to be Nintendo and is the Face of Rare
Dixie Kong: Probably the most famous Nintendo character not in Smash
Geno: Highly requested, cool moveset, and is very fanservicy.
Isaac: Highly requested and a Nintendo franchise with no reps.
Shantae: Of all the indie characters you can choose, she is a franchise with soon to be five games which began back in 2002, the franchise is close to Nintendo, and has massive moveset potential.
Another unique Zelda character: Skull Kid, The Guardians, Midna, Vaati. Zelda has the most untapped potential for characters of any non 3rd party franchise in Smash. This series has so many great characters and interesting races like the Deku, Goron, Zora, Gerudo, and Rito, yet all we get is 3 Link's, 2 Zelda's, and a semi clone Ganondorf.
Doomguy or Master Chief: FPS is a huge genre and these are some of their biggest characters, one of them being basically the father of the genre and the other is the de facto mascot.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I have no idea but I’m dancing in joy right now
Didn't you want Steve as well a while back?

The tweets might also mean nothing for chances depending on whom was shared information...

maybe I should ask Jeb and hope he answers so I can ease my mind...B-K seems more-likely anyway.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Didn't you want Steve as well a while back?

The tweets might also mean nothing for chances depending on whom was shared information...

maybe I should ask Jeb and hope he answers so I can ease my mind...B-K seems more-likely anyway.
I did but ever since I saw people backlashing polarpanda from that rumor...that’s where I crossed the line

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
The more I think about it, the more I realize that two Microsoft characters are possible, but after Banjo, who? Because Steve is looking less and less likely unless you have clung to the blue sky speculation of the character

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
If Steve is truly deconfirmed, then it would feel like a huge weight being lifted off my shoulders. I'm personally not a fan of minecraft, and im not thrilled about steve joining the roster. Especially not at the possible expense of banjo. I'll respect it's legacy, and I'll be more than ok if we somehow get both.

On the other hand, I would feel bad for the LEGITIMATE steve fans that visit this thread.

D

Deleted member

If Steve is truly deconfirmed, then it would feel like a huge weight being lifted off my shoulders. I'm personally not a fan of minecraft, and im not thrilled about steve joining the roster. Especially not at the possible expense of banjo. I'll respect it's legacy, and I'll be more than ok if we somehow get both.

On the other hand, I would feel bad for the LEGITIMATE steve fans that visit this thread.
Im on the same boat. I understand that Minecraft is a huge pop culture icon and the game's music is chill, but if you ask me, this is the perfect opportunity of showcasing Nintendo and Microsoft's partnership, by giving the the former the access to the properties they didn't have since 2002.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

It would go to show, not even modern characters are a guarantee, regardless of anything that gives them all the reasons to get in. Sometimes people have to learn that, even if only by the hard way.

Also, it's easy to forget that Nintendo might hesitate to include him like any other Western third-party, so he's not exempt from that obstacle.

Sorry guys, Rash can’t be in Smash anymore cause he’s in another fighting game. That’s how that works by the way.
And yet Goku is somehow a-okay to suggest despite him being in two at the moment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom