• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
As much as this may seem unlikely to some, I have a feeling we're getting a new Mother character just based on the fact that the series is turning 30 this year. Mother is a series that pretty much everyone has at least heard of, and the fact that the trilogy gets multiple VC releases on top of EarthBound being on the SNES Classic proves it isn't a super obscure franchise anymore. I'd say Ninten or Porky or someone else has a fair shot.
I could see Ninten as an echo if DLC echos are a thing.

osby

Smash Obsessed
As much as this may seem unlikely to some, I have a feeling we're getting a new Mother character just based on the fact that the series is turning 30 this year. Mother is a series that pretty much everyone has at least heard of, and the fact that the trilogy gets multiple VC releases on top of EarthBound being on the SNES Classic proves it isn't a super obscure franchise anymore. I'd say Ninten or Porky or someone else has a fair shot.
To be fair, anniversaries don't always mean much when it comes down to character additions. I can't see Sakurai or Nintendo deciding on a character just because of it.

And while Mother isn't the most niche series in Smash, it's also far from being the most well-known.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I could see Ninten as an echo if DLC echos are a thing.
Nah... At least Sakurai confirmed there was gonna be no echoes on this Fighter's Pass

To be fair, anniversaries don't always mean much when it comes down to character additions. I can't see Sakurai or Nintendo deciding on a character just because of it.

And while Mother isn't the most niche series in Smash, it's also far from being the most well-known.
Fair enough. I'm just here grasping at any ideas I can because I'm not sure if Nintendo will even acknowledge the anniversary.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Yeah, I am fully expecting one in-house DLC character. My pick is Porky due to his alarming absence in the game, but that could be due to a boss rush mode being saved for a future DLC.

My other choices for this slot is another Pokémon or Fire Emblem character.

The one thing going against my theory is what stage and music would come with Porky? It would make more sense to go with the latter two as they represent new games which means the ability to use new music and new stage ideas.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, I am fully expecting one in-house DLC character. My pick is Porky due to his alarming absence in the game, but that could be due to a boss rush mode being saved for a future DLC.

My other choices for this slot is another Pokémon or Fire Emblem character.

The one thing going against my theory is what stage and music would come with Porky? It would make more sense to go with the latter two as they represent new games which means the ability to use new music and new stage ideas.
Yeah, I mean it's silly to assume we'll get nothing but third-parties, just because most DLC first-parties were veterans last time. It's almost like :ultcorrin: doesn't count. You don't have to like Corrin, but they still count as first-party DLC in 4.

That being said, I can see a Pokémon as being much likelier, since Three Houses is making things difficult.

Does Nintendo still own Captain N? The cartoon did the videogame crossover before Smash Bros was around, and Nintendo could make good use of Captain N in modern day.
Somewhat. The most we'll get is a reference via one of the Palutena Guidances.

Besides, if we really need a Nintendo gamer character, 9-Volt can fulfill this purpose well enough.

Last edited:
I really don’t think a Mother character would be appealing enough to get very many sales outside of the hardcore Nintendo fans

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
Just out of curiosity, who do you guys think are still “missing” from Smash?

By that, I mean who do you feel like Smash would be “incomplete” without their eventual inclusion?

For me, in order:

Banjo
Rayman
Spyro
Crash
Sora
Dixie Kong
Dante
Geno
Isaac

Those aren’t even necessarily my most wanted in order (I want Crash before Spyro, and would prefer Ms. Pac-Man over Geno or Isaac), that’s just who I feel need to get in before the roster feels truly like EVERYBODY is here

(And none of this is to say I’m not happy with the roster as is; we’re already completely spoiled)

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Very true. They'll make a nod to anniversaries sometimes, especially for characters already in, but I'm doubtful character inclusions are influenced by that sort of thing.

*Looks at Banjo-Kazooie's 20th and cries in Banjo sighs*

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Has anyone thought of the exciting prospect that if this MS/Nintendo continued engagement lasts long that RARE might be an official partner for Nintendo again? I know "they're not the same team anymore blah, blah, blah" but I thought they made some good games during their tenure with Microsoft and, with some insight from Nintendo, we could potentially see this studio back to their legendary status like they once were. Imagine them back at the helm making DK games again with a healthy set of games. No longer will we DK fans have to wait long for a new installment. This is all assuming Retro is indeed done with the series after Tropical Freeze.

And the ex RARE employees at Playtonic would be like, "Just when we flippin left! :demon:"

Honestly, all I'd need for satisfaction would be Rayman, Banjo & Dixie Kong.
I'd gladly take Crash too, but he's not really my top priority atm.
This basically where I stand too. Maybe add Doom Guy for good measure.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman

By that, I mean who do you feel like Smash would be “incomplete” without their eventual inclusion?

For me, in order:

Banjo
Rayman
Spyro
Crash
Sora
Dixie Kong
Dante
Geno
Isaac

Those aren’t even necessarily my most wanted in order (I want Crash before Spyro, and would prefer Ms. Pac-Man over Geno or Isaac), that’s just who I feel need to get in before the roster feels truly like EVERYBODY is here

(And none of this is to say I’m not happy with the roster as is; we’re already completely spoiled)
Once Banjo and Rayman get in, I consider the roster to be complete. I can't think of any other important characters that are missing.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Nah... At least Sakurai confirmed there was gonna be no echoes on this Fighter's Pass
Sure not in the pass, but there's always DLC outside the pass.

Once Banjo and Rayman get in, I consider the roster to be complete. I can't think of any other important characters that are missing.
Dixie Kong is the most important character without any kind of role. She's definitely missing.

Last edited:

KingMinjo91

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, this already been debunked
Was it entirely debunked? Or was it just Playtonics involvement that ended up not being correct?

I mean, I'm hoping for Banjo to be at E3 either way. Smash, new game... gimme all of it.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529

For me, in order:

Banjo
Rayman
Spyro
Crash
Sora
Dixie Kong
Dante
Geno
Isaac

Some characters I just want because they'd be cool, and others I genuinely feel should be in the game. For example, Id love 2B, or Hat Kid, or Lanky Kong, or Revolver Ocelot, but I dont think theyre required inclusions.

For the most part, K. Rool and Ridley were the last 1st party characters that made me wonder why it took them so long to put them in. But below them, there are a few I think have "earned it", such as-
Dixie
Cranky
Spring Man
Waluigi
Captain Toad/Toad
For all being unique and landmark Nintendo characters (Dixie, Toad and Spring Man are even the main characters/mascots in a game, with DKC3, Treasure Tracker and Arms respectivley). Cranky and Waluigi may not be lead characters, but are key characters in the games and series they are from.

As for third parties, these are a lot harder to figure out, but for the ones I believe that have earned it are-
Banjo Kazooie- For the strong history between Nintendo and Rare. This was Rare's most successful (original) series, being the 2nd most successful new series to start on N64, second only to Smash Bros itself.
Dante- For being the game that started the character action game/hack and slash genre. Without him, Bayonetta may not even be here today.
Scorpion- Mortal Kombat is arguably a more important series than Street Fighter, as it played a huge part in the creation of the ESRB and similar rating sysyems for video games. With over 10 games and 2 movies, this series is a juggernaut even if it doesn't exist in Japan.
Doomguy- For being the father of the FPS genre. Yeah, Wolf 3D came first, but Doom turned the dial up to 11 and laid out a lot of the groundwork that fps games today still use.
Master Chief- He's didn't come first, but Halo had a lot of input on how FPS games play, especially on consoles. It's impact made it the face of Xbox, and one of the few characters as big as Mario.
TF2 character(Heavy?)- Yeah, yeah, this is the 3rd fps character, but the fps genre is one of the largest genres in gaming, so it kind of makes sense. Besides, we have several 3rd party platformer characters, so its not unprecedented. TF2 started the class based online shooter that we see even today in Overwatch, Apex legends, etc.
Steve- For being one of the first break-out indie games, and affecting the sandbox genre forever.
RE character(Jill or Leon)- RE is the most iconic of the horror games, so it's quite obvious. This series has many movies, games, and is back and huge again with RE7 and REmake 2. As for a moveset, I think Jill's mvc2 moveset could be used for inspiration.
Crash- Original Play Station mascot, quite obvious.
Rayman- A smaller series, definitely, but with 5 excellent mainline titles, Rayman can even outclass Mario sometimes.
I may be missing some from games that I never played, but other than those, the only honorable mention I can think of is Frogger for being an insanely popular arcade classic, but it doesn't really live on besides a few sequels of varying quality.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
People love to crap on Waluigi because of the fanbase, but I genuinely believe he has enough of a legacy with Nintendo to earn him a spot on the roster.

It's a damn shame Spring Man got Assist Trophied. I can see him and Waluigi being "Season 2" Fighter Pass characters should we get more, and I feel like it's definitely possible: This came out fairly early in the lifespan of the Switch and I think Nintendo will want to support it for a long time.

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, the only characters I want for DLC are Banjo and Rayman and that's about it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Here's my prediction list for the Season Pass:

1. Banjo & Kazooie

2. Erdrick

3. Porky

4. Phoenix Wright

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190404005181/en/Nintendo-Download-OBJECTION!?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

An encouraging sign to the Phoenix Wright fans in here. Never played any of his games personally.
After seeing Joker get in, I believe Phoenix Wright has a amazing shot now.

As much as this may seem unlikely to some, I have a feeling we're getting a new Mother character just based on the fact that the series is turning 30 this year.
Yep, absolutely. :)

I have Porky in my signature so that if he get's announced, I will want everyone one that didn't believe me to come back and PM me to me I was right. Of course, I will eat my words if I'm wrong. :rolleyes:

Since New Pork City is already in the game, I could see Cave of the Past from Earthbound/Mother 2 beng Porky's Season Pass stage. As for his music, Porky Means Business and other Earthbound/Mother 2 songs could come with him.

For me, in order:

Banjo
Rayman
Spyro
Crash
Sora
Dixie Kong
Dante
Geno
Isaac

The biggest roster omissions would definitely have to be:

Dixie Kong
Bandana Dee
Banjo & Kazooie
Toad
Pig Ganon
Waluigi
Crash Bandicoot
Rayman
Spyro
Master Chief
Sora
Krystal

There are a lot of characters that should be in Smash Bros., but if all these characters ever get in along with the current Smash cast, the roster would forever be perfect.

Dixie Kong
Bandana Dee
Toad
Pig Ganon
Waluigi
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Master Chief
Sora
Krystal

The list can go on and on.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
What about Giygas Lair? A FD-like stage with Giygas looming in the background?

tenor.gif

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Has anyone brought this up before? No offense to any Steve fans.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Smash still has a long way to go before it’s complete for me personally, though I think we’re close enough to general complete right now to be completely honest.

The only real characters I see as missing from the current selection are Dixie Kong, Waluigi, and Toad. Those three are the most notable gaps in pre-existing franchises that remain more relevant and big across the past 20 years. They are the absentees I look at with perhaps the most confusion given the current state of the roster as so well representative. They’re the icons left that not only Nintendo still owns, but actively push as well. Bandanna Dee seems to be occupying a fourth playable character status sort of thing as well in Kirby, and while I don’t think that’s a super great reason to add him specifically, I think Kirby probably deserves another rep overall to round out the roster.

Those are just the main four I find missing in the context of current franchises in Smash. But beyond that, I’ll personally throw down a quite larger list:

Banjo Kazooie
Geno
Chibi-Robo
Isaac
Andy
Chorus Kids
Excitebiker
Tetromino from Tetris (such a fun idea to me)
Ryu Hayubusa
Erdrick or Slime - Dragon Quest in general really
Phoenix Wright
Leon Kennedy
Rayman
Crash Bandicoot
Doomguy (Doom Slayer sounds so much more badass though)
Master Chief

Give me that kind of crazy roster and I think you have most bases covered for Nintendo’s franchises all represented, the Nintendo all-stars all pretty well accounted for, and basically all major third parties with direct ties to Nintendo in the game and a couple of crazy picks from other brands like Crash and Chief. Plus a personal Geno pick lol.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion

Just Isaac and Banjo. Anyone else is just icing on the cake. There are other characters I'd like to see and a few other fan picks that probably should be in but those two are all that's needed as far as I'm concerned.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
For me personally, the roster is not complete without characters on the roster from Nintendo’s current first party biggest series: Rhythm Heaven and ARMS. Still hoping for any character for those two series.

And Banjo & Kazooie, Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong and Ashley. The rest are a big extra but those 6 are priorities. Unpopular opinion: it’s sad that third parties have become such a big part of Smash Bros.. Only want Banjo because of the strong Nintendo history.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Ironic since they use Steve as a mascot alongside Alex and the Creeper.

I know the guy who recorded that Minecon question said that one of the devs said they would love to see Steve or a Creeper in Smash.

Though I still don't know if any of this disconfirms Steve since neither Jeb nor Agnes are saying anything...but B-K seems more-likely anyway.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
For me personally, the roster is not complete without characters on the roster from Nintendo’s current first party biggest series: Rhythm Heaven and ARMS. Still hoping for any character for those two series.

And Banjo & Kazooie, Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong and Ashley. The rest are a big extra but those 6 are priorities. Unpopular opinion: it’s sad that third parties have become such a big part of Smash Bros.. Only want Banjo because of the strong Nintendo history.
I agree, Nintendo's complete A-list is what would really make the roster feel complete.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

To add to the issues with a new Mother rep, the series actually has some of the best representation of any series in Smash. For a series that only has three entries (and will always have exactly three entries unless Itoi changes his mind), the series has two playable characters, four unique stages that all have completely distinct environments (especially with Magicant), two assist trophies, three items, and a bunch of music and spirits. That's really good stuff for a series of that size. Bigger series have poorer representation in Ultimate overall. It's also worth mentioning that not a single Mother game ever released in Europe originally, and only Earthbound launched in the US originally. It's definitely a series that has some limitations and I tend to doubt it's much of a priority.

I have nothing against a Mother character in Ultimate, I like Porky in a mech as an idea a lot and people have convinced me that Ninten could be a more unique addition than I initially thought due to discussions. But I'm also not really convinced that we'll get another or Mother even necessarily needs more content given how much love it has already gotten. I think it's a bit of a hard sale to non-fans of the series and even to a lot of fans who share that sentiment. I'm not against the idea and there are cool options, but I also can't really say I prioritize that support as a fan of many characters either.

This gets brought up all the time in regards to Steve. It's true that Steve itself isn't exactly an intentional character designed by Notch and Mojang. But he's also been largely adopted into the conscious as a sort of new icon for Minecraft as a whole and he's an easily recognizable way to include a fighter in Smash if you're interested in that route.

While it's an idea that I take some issue with as someone ambivalent about Steve's potential inclusion, I don't think it's an issue that would really stop him from being included.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Who is Aubrey Norris?
She works on Minecraft, though I don't know which version she's involved with.

Since Jeb and Agnes are the head developers, I think they would be most-likely to know, so I'm not sure about the other devs; maybe some of them, but Microsoft higher-ups would know as well...

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
That has to be faked by a troll. Not saying Steve can't get in but obvious troll is obvious.

*edit*
I stand corrected. I figured this was an edited picture because I didn't expect someone to speak so ill of their own product. I'll be darned if it's not up on twitter though lol.

*edit 2*
Actually, it could very well be sarcasm too lol

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Very true. They'll make a nod to anniversaries sometimes, especially for characters already in, but I'm doubtful character inclusions are influenced by that sort of thing.

*Looks at Banjo-Kazooie's 20th and cries in Banjo sighs*
Given that, :ultlittlemac:is the exception that isn't the rule. He got lucky on that one.

That has to be faked by a troll. Not saying Steve can't get in but obvious troll is obvious.

*edit*
I stand corrected. I figured this was an edited picture because I didn't expect someone to speak so ill of their own product. I'll be darned if it's not up on twitter though lol.

*edit 2*
Either way, Steve announcement expectations have led to bupkis so far.

VGA, nothing.
Minecon, nothing.
X018, nothing.
GDC, yup, still nothing.

It's just been a game of "moving the goalpost" up to now, with the only apparent proof being leak rumors that may or may not have been misinterpretation.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

*edit*

*edit 2*
This same person also shot down a "Steve is in Smash" fake announcement on April Fools Day, I can't find the tweet now though

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If there's a Steve announcement, it would be at E3, where I am expecting Banjo-Kazooie.

Or they'll be announced on some random date, I don't know...
To me, that's the last chance to be proven true. If nothing still happens then, everyone's time will have been wasted for nothing, and every leaker that mentioned Steve will look like a world-class buffoon.

At least the killswitch is getting closer, since it's roughly a little over two months left now.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

Well that's absolutely someone who would know if Steve was in and would be in serious violation of NDA for even blinking at something Smash related.

Ding dong, the witch is dead.

Top Bottom