• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It doesn't really make sense to exclude ATs as this is a poll for who people want and winning this when the biggest competition is locked away is pointless. It won't show who is the most popular.
Of course it makes sense to remove them. They want to gauge what reasonable DLC could happen. It's in their opinion AT's aren't plausible, so they that's their criteria. Sure, it could be inaccurate. But it's not really unrealistic to think AT's aren't going to be DLC characters.

Remember, just because some think AT's are possible for DLC doesn't mean others will be. We've never seen an AT become a playable character in the same game. Spirits are like Trophies, and we did see Trophies become playable in the same game. It makes sense to go with what seems more likely to happen. Many polls have specific options removed to get unique answers. It's not really any different from, say, Fire Emblem polls excluding certain characters due to being the only ones voted. They want opinions of other options besides the guys who are unlikely to get in.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Of course it makes sense to remove them. They want to gauge what reasonable DLC could happen. It's in their opinion AT's aren't plausible, so they that's their criteria. Sure, it could be inaccurate. But it's not really unrealistic to think AT's aren't going to be DLC characters.

Remember, just because some think AT's are possible for DLC doesn't mean others will be. We've never seen an AT become a playable character in the same game. Spirits are like Trophies, and we did see Trophies become playable in the same game. It makes sense to go with what seems more likely to happen. Many polls have specific options removed to get unique answers. It's not really any different from, say, Fire Emblem polls excluding certain characters due to being the only ones voted. They want opinions of other options besides the guys who are unlikely to get in.
The purpose of the poll isn't to guage who is likely it's to guage who people want and taking out significant characters from that set leads to inaccurate results. It makes it not worth considering.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

The thing is though is that the trophies in Smash 4 that did became DLC characters were veterans not newcomers. Not saying it can't happen, but there is a difference there.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The purpose of the poll isn't too guage who is likely it's to guage who people want and taking out significant characters from that set leads to inaccurate results. It makes it not worth considering.
No, it's "who people want that seems plausible". Administering criteria is fine. We'll never seen what people think of some characters unless it's forced in this way.

"We understand that excluding Assist Trophies characters may be a choice some will be unhappy with. We are doing this because we believe Assists Trophies will not be DLC this time around and are more direct confirmation of a Fighter's status." They pretty much already made it clear it was never a straight poll of who you should want in. It was among realizable choices in this case. That's their hard criteria. You don't have to like it, but it's not going to change when they want realistic possibilities of who could be DLC. If they don't believe AT's are realistic, that's... pretty understandable. Very few think they honestly will get a DLC upgrade, and many would at best say "extremely unlikely" if they think it's remotely possible.

Those secondary choices are very important. If nobody tells us who else they want, we can't ever get any good ideas. Some characters just aren't going to happen. It's okay to have ideas beyond those to look at.

It's also a secondary poll and wanted another opinion, to try and get more than the same answer like last time. Only way to get new answers is to change up the options a tad. Which they did overall. It's hard to get unique results if you have zero differences in your criteria.

The thing is though is that the trophies in Smash 4 that did became DLC characters were veterans not newcomers. Not saying it can't happen, but there is a difference there.
Not really a difference at all. They're literally nothing more than an unused character model and mean nothing. Just like Spirits do. Spirits are equivalent to Trophies. All DLC characters in Ultimate will just be newcomers. It doesn't matter if they have an image in the game or not. It won't realistically have any effect on the choosing process. It's not even a major gameplay role, which requires a lot more reprogramming than simply slightly rewriting the name of a Spirit so the Fighter itself will have a different Fighter Spirit name. Kind of like how renaming a Trophy takes no effort at all. That's how little difference it makes.

AT's aren't hard to fix the issue either, sure, by not having that particular one show up while the character is playable. We know the game can be manipulated in that kind of way already. However, we also know that AT's are roles for characters who weren't possible for playable would become. This alone means they're fairly unlikely to jump to playable within the same game.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
No, it's "who people want that seems plausible". Administering criteria is fine. We'll never seen what people think of some characters unless it's forced in this way.

Those secondary choices are very important. If nobody tells us who else they want, we can't ever get any good ideas. Some characters just aren't going to happen. It's okay to have ideas beyond those to look at.
By proxy, this makes it easier for people to notice Banjo-Kazooie, so in a way it makes sense to do this. I just hope that certain anime fans won't go ape on this in the Twitter comments...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

"We understand that excluding Assist Trophies characters may be a choice some will be unhappy with. We are doing this because we believe Assists Trophies will not be DLC this time around and are more direct confirmation of a Fighter's status." They pretty much already made it clear it was never a straight poll of who you should want in. It was among realizable choices in this case. That's their hard criteria. You don't have to like it, but it's not going to change when they want realistic possibilities of who could be DLC. If they don't believe AT's are realistic, that's... pretty understandable. Very few think they honestly will get a DLC upgrade, and many would at best say "extremely unlikely" if they think it's remotely possible.

Not really a difference at all. They're literally nothing more than an unused character model and mean nothing. Just like Spirits do. Spirits are equivalent to Trophies. All DLC characters in Ultimate will just be newcomers. It doesn't matter if they have an image in the game or not. It won't realistically have any effect on the choosing process. It's not even a major gameplay role, which requires a lot more reprogramming than simply slightly rewriting the name of a Spirit so the Fighter itself will have a different Fighter Spirit name. Kind of like how renaming a Trophy takes no effort at all. That's how little difference it makes.

AT's aren't hard to fix the issue either, sure, by not having that particular one show up while the character is playable. We know the game can be manipulated in that kind of way already. However, we also know that AT's are roles for characters who weren't possible for playable would become. This alone means they're fairly unlikely to jump to playable within the same game.
I'm not doubting a character that's already a spirit can be DLC, I'm just saying it has yet to happen. It's likely though, but it's not a concrete fact, but only a fan rule at the moment.

Last edited:

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm not doubting a character that's already a spirit can be DLC, I'm just saying it has yet to happen. It's likely though, but it's not concrete facts but only fan rules.
It's entirely fan rules that somehow a Spirit disconfirms anyone. It's the same for AT's, true, but the difference is we know that AT's were added for characters who couldn't become playable. They're secondary roles, so at least there's some remote reason to believe it.

It's literally the same thing as believing Trophies couldn't be playable. Because they're the same thing. And we know that fan rule was broken pretty fast. Frankly, expecting a spirit as DLC is not even unusual at this point. I'd be honestly surprised if anyone that was a Spirit didn't become playable. Also "yet to happen" is barely an argument. We have yet to have less than 2 Pokemon newcomers, but then Smash 4 had a total of one(with the other two Pokemon who had more unique slots being... veterans). We actually never had less than 12 newcomers in any given game, but we had 11 for base roster in Ultimate. I could go on, but patterns are pretty useless.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Hmmm any idea when the poll's results will be posted? Or how long do they usually wait to collect and post the end results.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Hey guys, there's another Unofficial Fighter Ballot, this time asking people who they'd want as DLC Fighters.

Here's the tweet with details:
https://twitter.com/SSBUNews/status/1102303354582126592

Obviously, I voted for Banjo-Kazooie, but it'll be interesting to see who wins this time.
Voted for my beloved backpacking bear and bird! Doesn't hurt to vote and hopefully show how popular they are!

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Voted for our duo. Hopefully banjo is high up so I won't have to hear "iTs jUsT a voCaL mInOrItY"
I found it funny that one of the requirements is "has to not already be playable". Like damn I was really looking forward to voting for mario

D

Deleted member

Hey guys, there's another Unofficial Fighter Ballot, this time asking people who they'd want as DLC Fighters.

Here's the tweet with details:
https://twitter.com/SSBUNews/status/1102303354582126592

Obviously, I voted for Banjo-Kazooie, but it'll be interesting to see who wins this time.
Sorry Y'all I voted for Geno, Not to say I don't like Banjo cause he and Geno are my number one most wanted but I decided to vote differently. Though if it means anything Banjo is way more likely than Geno.

Voted for our duo. Hopefully banjo is high up so I won't have to hear "iTs jUsT a voCaL mInOrItY"
I found it funny that one of the requirements is "has to not already be playable". Like damn I was really looking forward to voting for mario
The sad thing is, even if Banjo wins AGAIN the haters will still say “these polls don’t mean anything! These polls aren’t actually accurate!” Any excuse to minimize the obvious demand and desire for Banjo

BZocky

Smash Ace
I just signed up here but this is the newcomer thread i'd been observing the most during my lurking period, and even beforehand due to how much I want them in.
You guys have a contagious enthusiasm for these characters and I'm happy to support. My vote is for the bear and bird

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
The sad thing is, even if Banjo wins AGAIN the haters will still say “these polls don’t mean anything! These polls aren’t actually accurate!” Any excuse to minimize the obvious demand and desire for Banjo
Yeah. It'll be fun watching everyone's reaction if banjo gets added. That's one of the reason I love that k rool is here. Pretty much everything the detractors said was wrong.
"K rool is irrelevant. He won't get added to smash"
*gets added to smash*

"He's not that popular. It's just a vocal minority"
*sakurai states that k rool was extremely popular and got "a ton of votes"*

"He'll just be a bottom tier heavy, no one will play him"
*k rool was considered by many to be op. Shorty after ultimate's release, YouTube was filled with k rool montages proving that people do in fact play him*

Hopefully banjo follows suit so I can experience it all again.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
What's funny is you can pretty much say that to any of pole on the internet and while their just a fraction of the install base, If you start racking them up together it's gotta eventually mean something.

I remember the really big Reddit one they had late last summer that I think lasted a month and Banjo-Kazooie came out on top at the end.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What's funny is you can pretty much say that to any of pole on the internet and while their just a fraction of the install base, If you start racking them up together it's gotta eventually mean something.

I remember the really big Reddit one they had late last summer that I think lasted a month and Banjo-Kazooie came out on top at the end.
Ahh yes, I love how Joker ranked at rock bottom at 49, then wound up getting in anyway.

PWX4a4H.jpg

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace

If they do give us a fan favorite, it wouldn't really matter whether they base it off the ballot days or now, cause banjo seems to be popular all the time

Organization XIII

Smash Champion

It's also a secondary poll and wanted another opinion, to try and get more than the same answer like last time. Only way to get new answers is to change up the options a tad. Which they did overall. It's hard to get unique results if you have zero differences in your criteria.
Except it has nothing to do with how I feel. It's that by excluding ATs the design of the experiment is flawed leading to faulty data. By excluding ATs some of the most popular characters wanted for DLC are left out which either encourages voting for less wanted characters inflating performance which is bad or it encourages those fans to not participate which is bad. It would be so much more statistically significant if ATs were allowed and didn't place as that reveals something about the community, or if ATs still placed highly which would reveal something about the community, but by excluding them any indication it could actually have as to what people want for DLC is ruined making this poll pointless.
Also, it's not up to the people conducting the poll to try and make results different that should be left to the community so saying they need to change it to get different results shows it's not worth participating in.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Except it has nothing to do with how I feel. It's that by excluding ATs the design of the experiment is flawed leading to faulty data. By excluding ATs some of the most popular characters wanted for DLC are left out which either encourages voting for less wanted characters inflating performance which is bad or it encourages those fans to not participate which is bad. It would be so much more statistically significant if ATs were allowed and didn't place as that reveals something about the community, or if ATs still placed highly which would reveal something about the community, but by excluding them any indication it could actually have as to what people want for DLC is ruined making this poll pointless.
Also, it's not up to the people conducting the poll to try and make results different that should be left to the community so saying they need to change it to get different results shows it's not worth participating in.
Wasn't that the point of the previous poll from the same Twitter handle (SSBUN)? They even have the results on their page if you scroll further down and Banjo-Kazooie won it too. The last one was for the base game, This one is for the DLC.

Allowing AT's would defeat the purpose of doing the same poll again, By process of elimination of this should narrow the choices further down for those who are still "Eligible".

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The data is going to already exclude those deemed impossible. It's more flawed to allow the type of votes when they'll be tossed aside. The way this is done, the amount of total votes is more likely to all be plausible votes, which actually helps the data be more accurate for "characters who could actually be DLC", which is their basic intended purpose. It's pretty clearly different from the old Smash Ballot.

And when you conduct your own poll, you make the criteria. It's your choice as the poll holder. So yes, it's fully up to them in every way. They made the poll after all. It's their job to make any and all criteria, as well as their idea of how it's done. The held the earlier poll, and the follow-up one has a purpose to narrow down the overall votes to see how useful each data is when compared to each other. It'd be useless to hold the same type of poll for DLC. Fact of the matter is, Smash Bros. information changed between each poll. So they applied that information in a careful manner to try to get an all new set of data to see why people want in specifically as DLC when you already remove certain choices. It's extremely honest and upfront... which is better than the Smash Ballot was(which despite its intended purpose as a suggestion box, was never made that clear outside of Japan, and also didn't even outright tell us video game characters only was a rule from the start alone). Besides that, this poll, not unlike the first one, wants specifically to see who really does get the highest votes. It wants a winner... among realizable characters. The Smash Ballot was just looking for suggestions. So they still serve very different purposes.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
I just signed up here but this is the newcomer thread i'd been observing the most during my lurking period, and even beforehand due to how much I want them in.
You guys have a contagious enthusiasm for these characters and I'm happy to support. My vote is for the bear and bird
One of us! One of us!
*cue jiggy collect music"

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I remember a friend of mine telling me that Rare was planning to remaster the first Banjo-Kazooie on the original Xbox, but didn't do to Live & Reloaded not doing as well in sells as Microsoft wanted it too. Don't say I said that if it's wrong, a friend of mine said it.
Also, the idea of Gruntilda trying to best Banjo & Kazooie throughout the whole game sounds amazing to me.
Sadly, that AI opponent idea was actually a large part of what killed the project. Just way too complex for them to pull off on the hardware that was available.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Wasn't that the point of the previous poll from the same Twitter handle (SSBUN)? They even have the results on their page if you scroll further down and Banjo-Kazooie won it too. The last one was for the base game, This one is for the DLC.

Allowing AT's would defeat the purpose of doing the same poll again, By process of elimination of this should narrow the choices further down for those who are still "Eligible".
By introducing what the people conducting poll see as eligible instead of letting only what we know is eligible be in the poll, they have made a poll flawed from design. If the community doesn't think AT are plausible then the results should show that not who is conducting the poll.

The data is going to already exclude those deemed impossible. It's more flawed to allow the type of votes when they'll be tossed aside. The way this is done, the amount of total votes is more likely to all be plausible votes, which actually helps the data be more accurate for "characters who could actually be DLC", which is their basic intended purpose. It's pretty clearly different from the old Smash Ballot.

And when you conduct your own poll, you make the criteria. It's your choice as the poll holder. So yes, it's fully up to them in every way. They made the poll after all. It's their job to make any and all criteria, as well as their idea of how it's done. The held the earlier poll, and the follow-up one has a purpose to narrow down the overall votes to see how useful each data is when compared to each other. It'd be useless to hold the same type of poll for DLC. Fact of the matter is, Smash Bros. information changed between each poll. So they applied that information in a careful manner to try to get an all new set of data to see why people want in specifically as DLC when you already remove certain choices. It's extremely honest and upfront... which is better than the Smash Ballot was(which despite its intended purpose as a suggestion box, was never made that clear outside of Japan, and also didn't even outright tell us video game characters only was a rule from the start alone). Besides that, this poll, not unlike the first one, wants specifically to see who really does get the highest votes. It wants a winner... among realizable characters. The Smash Ballot was just looking for suggestions. So they still serve very different purposes.
Ok but see all the reasonings you just listed are exactly why this poll is bad and not worth looking at the data it will provide which was my point.

Last edited:

ChinaCat

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4209 0037 4617
What do we have here?! My man Porky at number 46 and Mach Rider at number 19, I didn't know they were that high up the popularity poll.
its weird, i only ever recall hearing about mach rider after the grinch leak. I'm assuming he has some passionate fans that I just wasn't very aware of?

MangoTwist

Smash Apprentice
I dont even really see the purpose of this new SSBUNews poll. The results of their last one were posted just last September. I dont think who people want changes that much in 6 months (outside of the influx of bandwagonning Erdrick fans).

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
Sadly, that AI opponent idea was actually a large part of what killed the project. Just way too complex for them to pull off on the hardware that was available.
Apparently, it wasn't. I posted a while ago about how a Rare employee came out and explained what happened to Banjo-Threeie. Lemme just dig up the post...
Edit: Here ya go
Actually, in the dev interviews locked away within Rare Replay (and scattered about YouTube) the alleged Banjo-Kazoomie was an entirelt different game called Fast and the Furriest. Nuts & Bolts spawned off of an HD remake of the original B-K that slowly turned into N&B when they tried to make the worlds bigger and give the player some sort of extra transportation around the worlds. Then, in a 4chan post (I'll edit the link in here shortly) that was supposedly a Rare dev (with timestamps and official evidence, apparently) ot was said that MS shot down the full remake of B-K and pushed for something different because (as was just said) the era of platformers seemed to have past.

Edit: Link to the an image of the discussion: https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1336805-banjo-kazooie

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I agree. An amazing idea, but way too complex for the Xbox hardware to handle.
Now that we got more advanced modern technology, I honestly wonder if someone else can take a crack at that idea...

Apparently, it wasn't. I posted a while ago about how a Rare employee came out and explained what happened to Banjo-Threeie. Lemme just dig up the post...
Of course Microsoft had to go into the no-fun zone back then. Their consoles are completely out of touch with younger audiences, audiences that even Sony acknowledges.

Last edited:

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Welcome aboard man, and thanks for sharing that with us it means a lot, Us BanjoBros have a deep passion for the characters and an extremely powerful desire to see them in Smash Bros., on a personal level I Mainly want them in so they will be recognized and become known throughout the (entire) community so that it gives them a huge chance to see a Revival of the series-- but then again, most of us want that too lol.

Either way, welcome and enjoy the stay!

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I'm always down for unofficial polls and surveys, to be honest. Maybe just 'cause I like telling people I want Banjo-Kazooie (and my other most-wanteds) in Smash. That Reddit tourney-style poll a few several months back was the most fun I've had during Ultimate's hype cycle.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Reading that actually pissed me off more than what I thought, I knew Microsoft Was a piece of work but seeing the three representatives completely shrug off the Idea of Banjo-Threeie and talk about the other projects and not give a care in the world... god! GOD DAMN IT! ****

I now no longer feel negative Towards Nuts&Bolts anymore, of course it was all Microsoft's fault, why wouldn't it be, the Banjo Team tried their best to make it feel like a BK game with what little they had to work with and I dont blame them at all, they were clearly as passionate as we are for Banjo, but Microsoft just didn't care.

Last edited by a moderator:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Hopefully the company is being ran by different people now that would treat Banjo with respect.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
its weird, i only ever recall hearing about mach rider after the grinch leak. I'm assuming he has some passionate fans that I just wasn't very aware of?
I think he is the most popular retro character most people want after Lip and Takamaru. It's surprising though that a retro character like him got that high on the poll though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom