• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

BlueJaySSB

Poggers my Doggers
He got almost everything right in the base game, but for DLC I feel like he's just as in the unknown as us. Especially considering his track record for the Direct.
As they say, almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Which is why I ask people still take his word almost as law. If he has "bad sources" which he has admitted he has in the Belmont leak, why is he still the topic here? It does nothing but prove his word can't be completely trusted. That's all I'm saying. It only gets you overhyped and at that point you're setting yourself up for failure.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
How so? Is it that both of them are just so out of left field that it's hard to find any viable moveset for rhem?
To give a long history short.

During the Smash 4 days, there was the "Gematsu Leaks" because one guy got a list of 6 characters that were to be newcomers in Smash 4 and got three right (:4villager: :4megaman: and :4wiifit:)

In July 2014, he claimed Shulk was next, but instead we got :4robinm: and :4lucina:, two characters who weren't part of the leak. Adding to this, Chrom was part of the leak but was Robin's Final Smash. Essentially, the leak died and so did Chorus Kids (:4shulk: survived)

In short, they were part of a long standing leak that ended up false.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
How so? Is it that both of them are just so out of left field that it's hard to find any viable moveset for rhem?
I was thinking something along the lines of them both being highly speculated fighters, to the point that everyone considers them to be "most likely." Only for base game and dlc to finish and neither of them are to be found.
That being said, I don't think Steve is completely out of the running. But it won't surprise me if dlc wraps up, only for all this Steve speculation to end up fruitless.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

During the Smash 4 days, there was the "Gematsu Leaks" because one guy got a list of 6 characters that were to be newcomers in Smash 4 and got three right (:4villager::4megaman: and :4wiifit:)

In July 2014, he claimed Shulk was next, but instead we got :4robinm: and :4lucina:, two characters who weren't part of the leak. Adding to this, Chrom was part of the leak but was Robin's Final Smash. Essentially, the leak died and so did Chorus Kids (:4shulk: survived)

Kind of. We have actual data of the playable franchise logos, with Chorus Heaven being among them. So it wasn't fake at all. It was just outdated information. Basically, we can't confirm it was literally Chorus Kids, but consider Chrom got confirmed as outdated directly by Sakurai, and everything else fits with Gematsu, it's extremely likely it was Chorus Kids.

As for Vergeben, he had almost the entire base roster correct. The only thing that was wrong was Steve and a Square-Enix rep. Being we know leakbait exists, it is possible one of those could be it. The other factor is that he got information about negotiations being worked on, but not finished. So some may have fallen through. It even could've happened with Microsoft as is. Or Square-Enix. For the record, I don't think he has any legitimate information on DLC. The one thing I know about the direct is that he had actual information that Link's Awakening as a game may or may not be the game at the direct. He wasn't sure. A bad source convinced him it was not the game. Still hurts his credibility, but I will also note that his source, the main one, which says Erdrick is coming, is the same source that knew about Super Mario Maker 2. This means that there is some slight bit of credibility. Being he has multiple sources, some good, some bad, it's easy for him to get things wrong. He's the messenger, after all, not the original person with information. I do repeat, however, that I don't think he knows any of the DLC at this point. I mean, it's not impossible, considering he has at least one good source, but he's believed too much incorrect information for me to think he knows something. I'd wait and see, but I'm very skeptical. I just don't consider the situation black and white due to many good and bad sources. Doesn't change that Verge took too much of a plunge in the direct and hurt his credibility a lot. He's hanging on a thread at the moment with at this point, one possible real thing. Also, for the record, the source that says Erdrick(and knew about Super Mario Maker 2) is not the same source that said Minecraft. I found that out recently. So while I think Minecraft content is a lock in general if Microsoft gets content(I am not saying he will be playable, but things like Spirits, music for the Microsoft's character's stage, Spirits, and/or Mii costumes are a given). Also, being some might misunderstand, this is an "if" scenario. If Microsoft gets content, Minecraft will be among it in some way. I could be wrong, but it's a bet I'm willing to take. And hey, if I'm wrong, I predicted wrong. It happens.

Also, if anybody seriously sends him death threats, please report them as is(if the information is brought here, which it shouldn't, since we don't need offsite drama). We're better than this, after all. Might as well just report that crap and let those jerks be banned. There is no excuse for that kind of behavior. Verge's a jerk sometimes too, but being harassed is unacceptable in every way.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Kind of. We have actual data of the playable franchise logos, with Chorus Heaven being among them. So it wasn't fake at all. It was just outdated information. Basically, we can't confirm it was literally Chorus Kids, but consider Chrom got confirmed as outdated directly by Sakurai, and everything else fits with Gematsu, it's extremely likely it was Chorus Kids.

As for Vergeben, he had almost the entire base roster correct. The only thing that was wrong was Steve and a Square-Enix rep. Being we know leakbait exists, it is possible one of those could be it. The other factor is that he got information about negotiations being worked on, but not finished. So some may have fallen through. It even could've happened with Microsoft as is. Or Square-Enix. For the record, I don't think he has any legitimate information on DLC. The one thing I know about the direct is that he had actual information that Link's Awakening as a game may or may not be the game at the direct. He wasn't sure. A bad source convinced him it was not the game. Still hurts his credibility, but I will also note that his source, the main one, which says Erdrick is coming, is the same source that knew about Super Mario Maker 2. This means that there is some slight bit of credibility. Being he has multiple sources, some good, some bad, it's easy for him to get things wrong. He's the messenger, after all, not the original person with information. I do repeat, however, that I don't think he knows any of the DLC at this point. I mean, it's not impossible, considering he has at least one good source, but he's believed too much incorrect information for me to think he knows something. I'd wait and see, but I'm very skeptical. I just don't consider the situation black and white due to many good and bad sources. Doesn't change that Verge took too much of a plunge in the direct and hurt his credibility a lot. He's hanging on a thread at the moment with at this point, one possible real thing. Also, for the record, the source that says Erdrick(and knew about Super Mario Maker 2) is not the same source that said Minecraft. I found that out recently. So while I think Minecraft content is a lock in general if Microsoft gets content(I am not saying he will be playable, but things like Spirits, music for the Microsoft's character's stage, Spirits, and/or Mii costumes are a given). Also, being some might misunderstand, this is an "if" scenario. If Microsoft gets content, Minecraft will be among it in some way. I could be wrong, but it's a bet I'm willing to take. And hey, if I'm wrong, I predicted wrong. It happens.

Also, if anybody seriously sends him death threats, please report them as is(if the information is brought here, which it shouldn't, since we don't need offsite drama). We're better than this, after all. Might as well just report that crap and let those jerks be banned. There is no excuse for that kind of behavior. Verge's a jerk sometimes too, but being harassed is unacceptable in every way.
I actually forgot about the Rhythm Heaven logo in the game files when I wrote that up.

As for Verge/Leaks in general, I think the best approach is skepticism. Sure some could be real, but it might be fake. Treat it all with suspicion!

As for Minecraft, I feel it could be our new "Stage Builder" mode. Without a doubt the franchise is known for creativity, so why not bring that into Smash? Throw in a Steve? costume and some spirits and wa-la!

Of course, it could all be a Red Herring too...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I actually forgot about the Rhythm Heaven logo in the game files when I wrote that up.

As for Verge/Leaks in general, I think the best approach is skepticism. Sure some could be real, but it might be fake. Treat it all with suspicion!

As for Minecraft, I feel it could be our new "Stage Builder" mode. Without a doubt the franchise is known for creativity, so why not bring that into Smash? Throw in a Steve? costume and some spirits and wa-la!

Of course, it could all be a Red Herring too...
I doubt it'd only be Stage Builder. We'd get more than that. We'll probably get a general Stage Builder like the previous games instead. With the usual 3rd party content for Minecraft, like everything else. Though I doubt we'll get any AT's for DLC, despite being free. Music could easily vary, as some music is on stages unrelated to it directly. Like how the Dr. Mario music has been on stages besides Mario ones as is. If we get B&K, it getting Minecraft music on its own stage is quite possible. Though I could see that being avoided. Spirits/Mii Costume, though? That seems logical for Minecraft(if Steve isn't playable). Likewise, I think Banjo & Kazooie would easily get some kind of content if we see Steve or Master Chief playable. And same with Halo content. I honestly feel that if we get Microsoft stuff, all 3 franchises will get content. I'm not as confident on B&K and Halo content as I am on Minecraft stuff, but as I said, I can easily be wrong. Predictions are nothing more than applying logic. Doesn't mean that the same logic would be applied when making Smash content. Sakurai isn't us, after all.

Speaking of, there's way too many cut AT's. Like, the heck? Sure, maybe one or two of those could be DLC. I can understand Tingle, at least, since he's a Stage Hazard(a minor one) on Great Bay. But... that's it.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I think Vergeben have sources, he tells what he heard, i don't think he is lying.

But i do think he gets false information sometimes, and thas what cause problems for him.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think Vergeben have sources, he tells what he heard, i don't think he is lying.

But i do think he gets false information sometimes, and thas what cause problems for him.
Exactly. Verge never posts something unless he's sure of it. He can post new information, or explain why the information is wrong.

But he never lies to us. It doesn't mean the information he has is true, but it means he believed it. Everybody believes lies at some point, so he's only human.

It's the best way to look at it. He's honest in that way. He definitely has anger issues(which to be fair, wouldn't be an issue in itself if he didn't get harassed so much over relaying information that was wrong despite not knowing it was. I don't think he actually attacked people without being hard provoked first? I can't confirm that. There's no justification for the types of insults he used, obviously. But there's no justification for him being harassed either).

Anyway, whatever happens happens, but I wouldn't completely consider Verge out, at least till Erdrick is confirmed not real. Then his last good source is gone, Not that he can't get good sources for another game, but like with all leakers, he couldn't get everything right cause bad sources will always exist(never mind leakbait).

Also, it's pretty annoying that people think impersonating him is a good idea. I'm surprised somebody didn't report that fake user for Identity Theft yet. Or they did and he hasn't been banned just yet.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Miyamoto said that Retro can work on 2 games at the same time if they wanted too. If they ever do it, the time is now.
I remember reading an article about multiple projects ,But I think they it said that they can only handle 1 big budget game and a side project at most. If they were a 2 team studio then we would have gotten games from them consistently every few years the past decade.

Back in 2010 - 2011 they developed Donkey Kong Country Returns and assisted with Mario Kart 7 DK assets such as the DKC Returns racing track in the game, But hopefully in the near future they can develop 2 big games simultaneously.

Retro Studios track record:

- Metroid Prime (2002)

- Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (2004)

- Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (2007)

- Metroid Prime Trilogy (2009) (Side game)

- Donkey Kong Country Returns (2010)

- Mario Kart 7 (2011) (Side game)

- Donkey Kong Country:Tropical Freeze (2014)

- Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (2018) (Switch Version) (Side game)

- Metroid Prime 4 (Currently in development)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Exactly. Verge never posts something unless he's sure of it. He can post new information, or explain why the information is wrong.

But he never lies to us. It doesn't mean the information he has is true, but it means he believed it. Everybody believes lies at some point, so he's only human.

It's the best way to look at it. He's honest in that way. He definitely has anger issues(which to be fair, wouldn't be an issue in itself if he didn't get harassed so much over relaying information that was wrong despite not knowing it was. I don't think he actually attacked people without being hard provoked first? I can't confirm that. There's no justification for the types of insults he used, obviously. But there's no justification for him being harassed either).

Anyway, whatever happens happens, but I wouldn't completely consider Verge out, at least till Erdrick is confirmed not real. Then his last good source is gone, Not that he can't get good sources for another game, but like with all leakers, he couldn't get everything right cause bad sources will always exist(never mind leakbait).

Also, it's pretty annoying that people think impersonating him is a good idea. I'm surprised somebody didn't report that fake user for Identity Theft yet. Or they did and he hasn't been banned just yet.
IMO I feel like verge is out due to a lot of wrong leaks including the direct even his rude aditude.

However I will respect your defense for verge

But for me I’m done with him.

Edit: however I’ll give him kudos for getting most of the base game right but dlc....nah

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So what your saying is we’re under his shadow again?
No. I'm saying he may still have real information.

Nobody was ever under his shadow. You're choosing to act like he's super important to speculation. Nobody has to take him into account, regardless of being correct on a lot of stuff.

Thus, if he gets chosen to talk about, that's people bringing him up of their own accord. No more, no less. People can talk about what they want(within the forum rules). I suggest just not talking about him if he bothers you that much. For the record, I fully understand why you don't like leaks. I get it. More than you can imagine. I've dealt with them on this forum before being a Moderator. It was a pain, even after I became one. It can be a problem for anyone. For the record, we couldn't keep a Leak thread up due to being too off-topic, and the original one for Smash 4 was really really bad.

I hope that fully answers your question. :)

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I remember reading an article about multiple projects ,But I think they it said that they can only handle 1 big budget game and a side project at most. If they were a 2 team studio then we would have gotten games from them consistently every few years the past decade.

Back in 2010 - 2011 they developed Donkey Kong Country Returns and assisted with Mario Kart 7 DK assets such as the DKC Returns racing track in the game, But hopefully in the near future they can develop 2 big games simultaneously.

- Metroid Prime (2002)

I'm honestly kind of doubtful that Retro is on any grounds to make 2 games at once unless 1 of those games is relatively small.
I've heard the stories of how hellish the crunch times were for the original Prime 1, how a lot of people who've worked on the Prime games are now gone from Retro, and I think I heard of some ex-Retro employees in recent years complaining about the work environment. It feels to me like Retro, though a talented studio, has been going through a bit of a mess.

I don't see many people mention this, but there've been 4 job postings on Nintendo's site for Retro Studios under the category "Game Development," all 4 since late 2018. At this point, 3 of them are still up. I get the feeling they're for Prime 4, and the thought that Retro is possibly still hiring people to make this game right now worries me a bit about their capacity for doing more than 1 game at once.

...So anyway, how about that Banjo-Kazooie?

D

Deleted member

No. I'm saying he may still have real information.

Nobody was ever under his shadow. You're choosing to act like he's super important to speculation. Nobody has to take him into account, regardless of being correct on a lot of stuff.

Thus, if he gets chosen to talk about, that's people bringing him up of their own accord. No more, no less. People can talk about what they want(within the forum rules). I suggest just not talking about him if he bothers you that much. For the record, I fully understand why you don't like leaks. I get it. More than you can imagine. I've dealt with them on this forum before being a Moderator. It was a pain, even after I became one. It can be a problem for anyone. For the record, we couldn't keep a Leak thread up due to being too off-topic, and the original one for Smash 4 was really really bad.

I hope that fully answers your question. :)
Oh sorry I didn’t mean to post that what I said it was for somthing else. I edited it whoops:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh sorry I didn’t mean to post that what I said it was from somthing else. I edited it whoops:rolleyes:
Ah, that's fair. I see what you mean. But like I said, his source that gave him Super Mario Maker 2 is the same source as Erdrick being in. I'd remain skeptical but keep an eye on that alone. Not saying he has to be brought up all the time, but Verge may not be out.

Also, his rude attitude has no effect on whether he has correct information or not. That just is his personality and just makes him less likeable. Being likable has zero effect on whether a person knows something or not. Not saying people should want to listen to him when he acts rude, though. But to be fair, people harassing him deserve a huge amount of the blame too. He did not deserve that. Can you blame him for retaliating against harassment? I can't. Doesn't "justify" his words, but it makes sense to look at the position he's in and realize he isn't being rude for the sake of it. He's literally being put in a position where lashing out is very difficult to avoid doing. Stress is a huge thing to deal with, and that's caused by excessive harassment. If I'm being entirely honest, I do think a lot of GameFAQs users should be banned for how they acted towards him. I also think he should be banned for making fun of autistic people. They're all at fault. I think he earned himself being banned from places due to his attitude, to say the least. I'm technically neutral on him in that regard. He screwed up. So did others. A lot were in the wrong in that regard. So I'm not exactly defending him, I'm just looking at the full picture and properly explaining the situation. It's part of who I am. I'm kind of a Neutral Judge at times. Obviously not all the time, but that applies here.

------------------

Anyway, that said, I do think B&K will show up in this game(if Microsoft gets content), though I can't honestly say it's a guaranteed playable character. I do hope, if they don't make it as playable, they become a Mii Gunner Costume at least. Mostly cause Kazooie as a full gun sounds freaking awesome to me. Though I understand that some aren't a fan of Mii costumes. I also am not sure if she'd be easy to animate as one. Any thoughts on that?

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
I hope to god that banjo is a legit fighter. Having any other ms character get the fighter treatment , while banjo is a mii costume would be the biggest slap in the face.

Biggest missed opportunity since the superbowl's 2019 halftime show

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't know if anyone here would actually like this, but I just made a suggestion for a Banjo-Kazooie mash-up pack in Minecraft on the official feedback site for the game. I'm hoping it gets popular and they actually listen; they do take fan suggestions sometimes, but I've never heard of them taking a suggestion for mash-up packs (or anything in the store but I haven't searched for those; community people do make skins, maps and texturepacks for the store though); however, to be fair, I've only seen suggestions for an Undertale mash-up pack, FNaF, Legend of Zelda, and maybe some others that are either not popular or are popular but would be harder to get the rights for. (from what I've seen, though, these suggestions typically don't go into much detail, but I tried to explain as to what they could pull from/use)

It's still pending approval, though, so I don't think anyone can see it yet; it might take a day or two. I'm the first person to suggest anything Banjo-Kazooie related, apparently. I really hope it becomes a thing, as it'd be awesome to have.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
It seems contradictory to say that they're getting death threat in one part of a tweet and then in another part this person shares another little leak, don't you think? You would think that death threats would be more concerning then releasing another leak. Plus, it's not okay to send a person death threats just because of being a leaker.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It seems contradictory to say that they're getting death threat in one part of a tweet and then in another part this person shares another little leak, don't you think? You would think that death threats would be more concerning then releasing another leak. Plus, it's not okay to send a person death threats just because of being a leaker.
That's not the real Vergeben. He doesn't use Twitter. It's a troll impersonating him.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
That's not the real Vergeben. He doesn't use Twitter. It's a troll impersonating him.
Yeah I already knew that. That's why I found it suspicious when the screenshot of that tweet was posted.

But anyway, I still feel good about Banjo & Kazooie's chances. Among my top requests, they have the best shot and of course I remain cautiously optimistic.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah I already knew that. That's why I found it suspicious when the screenshot of that tweet was posted.

But anyway, I still feel good about Banjo & Kazooie's chances. Among my top requests, they have the best shot and of course I remain cautiously optimistic.
As I said, I think they will show up in some form if Microsoft gets content. I just have come to realize that Mii Costumes are a legitimate possibility. Though to be fair, I think they're great things and a nice prize to the characters who couldn't fully make it in. But that's their intention anyway. They're consolation prizes that are about respect for the character. They're no slap in the face. Gotta look at the reason they even exist. They're for characters who couldn't just make it in. It's like Assist Trophies too. Sakurai puts them in with love and care, basically. It's pretty much that Sakurai has tons of respect and care of the character to do so. Though in this case, Spirits don't count in the same way since his crew chose them. He didn't oversee everything, but his intent is still very benevolent. :)

D

Deleted member

Ah, that's fair. I see what you mean. But like I said, his source that gave him Super Mario Maker 2 is the same source as Erdrick being in. I'd remain skeptical but keep an eye on that alone. Not saying he has to be brought up all the time, but Verge may not be out.

Also, his rude attitude has no effect on whether he has correct information or not. That just is his personality and just makes him less likeable. Being likable has zero effect on whether a person knows something or not. Not saying people should want to listen to him when he acts rude, though. But to be fair, people harassing him deserve a huge amount of the blame too. He did not deserve that. Can you blame him for retaliating against harassment? I can't. Doesn't "justify" his words, but it makes sense to look at the position he's in and realize he isn't being rude for the sake of it. He's literally being put in a position where lashing out is very difficult to avoid doing. Stress is a huge thing to deal with, and that's caused by excessive harassment. If I'm being entirely honest, I do think a lot of GameFAQs users should be banned for how they acted towards him. I also think he should be banned for making fun of autistic people. They're all at fault. I think he earned himself being banned from places due to his attitude, to say the least. I'm technically neutral on him in that regard. He screwed up. So did others. A lot were in the wrong in that regard. So I'm not exactly defending him, I'm just looking at the full picture and properly explaining the situation. It's part of who I am. I'm kind of a Neutral Judge at times. Obviously not all the time, but that applies here.

------------------

Anyway, that said, I do think B&K will show up in this game(if Microsoft gets content), though I can't honestly say it's a guaranteed playable character. I do hope, if they don't make it as playable, they become a Mii Gunner Costume at least. Mostly cause Kazooie as a full gun sounds freaking awesome to me. Though I understand that some aren't a fan of Mii costumes. I also am not sure if she'd be easy to animate as one. Any thoughts on that?
Understood

As for the mii costume. To me I think a brawler with kazzoie poking out of his back pack.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I would say they wouldn't disrespect a fan favorite character like Banjo by making him a simple mii costume or a spirit but then again if you look at the spirit and mii costume list you can see they love doing that lmao

Bubblestand

Smash Cadet
Long time lurker here. I made an account to say that it would be a slap in the face to get a mii costume.

thank you now I’m going back to my bubblestand.

25 cents please

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I would say they wouldn't disrespect a fan favorite character like Banjo by making him a simple mii costume or a spirit but then again if you look at the spirit and mii costume list you can see they love doing that lmao
Plus, they get in because they respect the character who couldn't become playable. People should look at the intention behind it, not what the result feels like. It ain't as good as playable, of course. Never will be. But it's still a big thing to be playable even as a skin. It's a nice nod, and sometimes the best some characters have gotten. I'm happy with my Ashley and Isaac costumes. I'd be happier with them playable. That said, I'd love a Fulgore Brawler costume, since I doubt he'd get in over the big 3, Banjo & Kazooie, Master Chief, and Steve. They're the top contenders right now.

Understood

As for the mii costume. To me I think a brawler with kazzoie poking out of his back pack.
Ooh. What kind of attacks would Kazooie be able to do? Or would it be basically billed as a Banjo costume instead?

I kind of want to see both characters acknowledged directly, which is why I think a Gunner costume fits the most. Though I guess either way, one won't get as many moves.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Plus, they get in because they respect the character who couldn't become playable. People should look at the intention behind it, not what the result feels like. It ain't as good as playable, of course. Never will be. But it's still a big thing to be playable even as a skin. It's a nice nod, and sometimes the best some characters have gotten. I'm happy with my Ashley and Isaac costumes. I'd be happier with them playable. That said, I'd love a Fulgore Brawler costume, since I doubt he'd get in over the big 3, Banjo & Kazooie, Master Chief, and Steve. They're the top contenders right now.

Ooh. What kind of attacks would Kazooie be able to do? Or would it be basically billed as a Banjo costume instead?

I kind of want to see both characters acknowledged directly, which is why I think a Gunner costume fits the most. Though I guess either way, one won't get as many moves.
Considering the fan demand behind Banjo and Kazooie I highly doubt they could make it work as a Mii costume. Banjo-Kazooie's unique design and abilities do not really fit into the 3 archtypes of the Mii fighters. If we are to get Mii costumes based on Microsoft owned properties I predict a Steve swordfighter (because lets face it the diamond sword is more iconic than Steve), A Master Chief Gunner, and a Fulgore/Rash brawler one or the other.)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Considering the fan demand behind Banjo and Kazooie I highly doubt they could make it work as a Mii costume. Banjo-Kazooie's unique design and abilities do not really fit into the 3 archtypes of the Mii fighters. If we are to get Mii costumes based on Microsoft owned properties I predict a Steve swordfighter (because lets face it the diamond sword is more iconic than Steve), A Master Chief Gunner, and a Fulgore/Rash brawler one or the other.)
The fan demand would get Banjo & Kazooie a costume alone if they couldn't be playable. How do you think Ashley and Isaac got costumes in the first place? Same situation here. That's actually what characters extremely often get if they can't be playable. Mii Costumes. Isabelle is another example. And Takamaru. And King K. Rool. Etc. Some did get updated to playable in Ultimate.

I can't see Sakurai ignoring B&K entirely to only give him a lowly Spirit. There's too much fan demand for that. He'll get a spirit for sure(if Microsoft gets content), but it's pretty much playable or Mii costume otherwise, the two back-to-back things for playable representation. Besides that, unless the Kazooie cannot work as the Gunner's moves, I'm not seeing the issue. And "they are too unique" won't matter anyway. It's not about the abilities fitting, it's about the animations being plausible. I could see that being an issue for a Gunner. Brawler works however.

That said, Steve's right now the most iconic thing about Minecraft(that refers to any kind of character or object). A lot changed when he became both the face and de facto mascot. Creeper might be more recognizable than Alex, though. Regardless of this, it's kind of pointless to downplay his huge gaming icon status. It serves no purpose. We also might get more than 3 costumes, though who knows when Battletoads is coming out at this point. But yeah, I doubt Fulgore would see more than a costume and a spirit at this point. Mostly cause he's a fighting game character from Microsoft's active franchise, and unless KI gets some Nintendo appearances again, having him playable can be seen as competition(besides that, he's nowhere near demanded as much as Steve, Banjo, and Master Chief. They're pretty huge in their own right as is. Sure, Banjo's not as much as of a gaming icon as the other two, but he's definitely up there for one of the lesser known ones. And part of why it'd be neat just appearing in Smash, playable or otherwise. A lot of it is mostly n64 fans, but he's damn awesome regardless). Costumes aren't an exact thing enough for that to matter. Even if they're a decent way to somewhat feel like you're playing as the character(their purpose is pretty benevolent in nature. Their effect on the community, not so much).

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
He got almost everything right in the base game, but for DLC I feel like he's just as in the unknown as us. Especially considering his track record for the Direct.
Actually he got a lot wrong too.
There's no minecraft content, no 2nd Square rep, Isabelle was unique and not an echo.

What he got right was Ken and Incineroar. He never said anything about K. Rool, Inklings, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus or Daisy. Ridley was already leaked by Resetera and Simon was leaked by Stealth.

He said all the Wii U characters were returning alongside Snake and Icies, but that's only a half truth, as that's vastly different information to EVERYONE returning.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Actually he got a lot wrong too.
There's no minecraft content, no 2nd Square rep, Isabelle was unique and not an echo.
He never said she was an Echo either. This is false. What he said was he had no idea if she was unique or an echo. Because his source didn't either.

What he got right was Ken and Incineroar. He never said anything about K. Rool, Inklings, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus or Daisy. Ridley was already leaked by Resetera and Simon was leaked by Stealth.
And what he got right was all Wii U characters returning(which no, was not an easy guess), Ridley, Incinerorar, Isabelle, Ken, Ice Climbers, Simon, Ice Climbers, Wolf. All characters he name dropped too. Please actually say how it really happened instead of bending the truth. And that's right, nobody leaked those characters to him(Richter, Chrom, Inklings, Dark Samus, Ridley, King K. Rool). He didn't piggyback off of anyone either, but had his own sources. Besides that, nobody actually leaked Inklings. At all. Everybody figured out they were coming if a new Smash game was. They were the only beyond obvious lock that everybody could beyond see coming that there was nobody who needed convincing. No solid arguments for or against in any way either. The only thing debated was why they weren't in Smash 4. At best. For that matter, the leaks started way after Smash Ultimate's reveal, where Inklings had their "trailer"(though only kind of, as they lacked a tagline too, since it was more like a Smash Ultimate teaser than an Inklings Trailer itself). Kind of impossible to leak what was already revealed, you know? But hey, things aren't that black and white anyway.

What you failed to mention is that a bad source tried to leak that there were no DK characters. He didn't believe the source either. This is information he was never going to mention since he only leaks information he believes to be true. But another user decided to release that PM to discredit Verge. The information Verge actually got was likely based upon the demo. Besides, you also didn't even mention Pokemon Trainer's return. And even then, what Verge actually said was certain characters would be leaked at e3, not simply "in the game". Ridley, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Snake. And that at some point Simon will be showed off, not necessarily then. Ridley was a very difficult guess on its own, and most were not banking on Snake. IC and Wolf aren't too hard to guess since they were expected. Stealth also was proven to know next to nothing these days, with barely a track record at all(compared to Verge getting almost the entire base roster correct, due to the actual information he had, and how it was presented). Wasn't ResetEra also the one that thought the Grinch leak was real?(I can't remember that one) Never mind it was particular people in ResetEra that knew of Ridley, not the whole place. One person leaked him. They aren't a hive mind. That's not how it works.

He said all the Wii U characters were returning alongside Snake and Icies, but that's only a half truth, as that's vastly different information to EVERYONE returning.
Even Nintendo employees were literally surprised at this. Almost nobody knew. At least know the whole situation and why it was never leaked. That's not how leaks works. Nobody ever gets the full story from the start. Even Smash 4's information was split up to some degree originally. Gematsu didn't have the full details either. The fact we got a full picture leak of 4's final roster was a fluke, nowhere near something that is reasonable to expect. Even the leaker himself(one who is two people who dealt with the leak) made that clear. Any leak about a game comes from multiple sources. The whole "everyone is here" was an extremely well-kept secret to the point that a ton of people at Nintendo were kept in the dark. Verge can't leak the impossible if his source would never know, which is an accurate assessment of the situation. If he had said "only these characters and returning and nobody else", you might have a remote point. But you don't. He didn't literally say a certain characters were not in, which is an actual proper statement. You either know something or you don't. He, like most people, didn't know the entire roster was returning. Simple as that. Life isn't that black and white as you're attempting to make it, and never will be. Leakers get information from more than one source. This means not only can some sources be right, and some be wrong, but it means that some sources won't have the whole story. Verge clearly didn't get the whole story, but bare two things, got the rest right with the information he actually released. Coupled with leakbait, and it's easy to see why the Minecraft and SE content wasn't main game. Could also be last minute changes to plans, or just "talks about consideration of the ideas". His sources even were conflicted on how MC was going to be in. Good reason for that. And the fun part about the SE rep is he had multiple different possibilities. He also found out enough information to declare it "it might be base roster or DLC". Now, he did jump the gun too early on the SE information, absolutely. So see my next paragraph, cause the MC and SE stuff should be held against him. He actually got that wrong entirely. Not stuff he gets wrong if you stretch it enough to make him look bad when he told the truth.

Reality is all he got wrong was Minecraft content and SE content. That was it. Since that's how leaks work too. Not knowing a character is meaningless in itself. Saying a character isn't in is an actual big deal. If he didn't get leaked a character, then he couldn't "get it wrong". If he says a character isn't in, but the character is there, then he would be getting it wrong. But that's not what happened at all. Did he say, for instance, Pichu wasn't returning? That we'd get no new DK characters? That Dark Samus wasn't coming? No. Those would be legit knocks against him. There are two things he said were coming and didn't happen in the base game. That's all he actually got wrong. He got way more right than you realize, especially since you clearly didn't know that the Isabelle thing was mistook as people hearing he only heard and said she was an Echo(which wasn't true either. He nor anyone knew her status and said literally just that).

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I can see it getting the first two characters right. Get everyone to believe it. Just for the last two characters to be wrong.
I like your Geno the Poo-Kazooie avatar lol! It's awesome.

I mean, if you knew who Shulk was before Smash 4, to quote Honest Trailers:
"Congratulations! You are now Japanese!"
Xenoblade Chronicles was released in Europe in 2011 and the US in 2012, and the series had a cult following before Shulk's inclusion in Smash 4 before the series went big. So no, it's not like Melee were westerns didn't know who Marth or Roy was because any of the games in their series was only in Japan during Melee's release. so to answer that, you wouldn't be a weeaboo knowing about Shulk before Smash 4 because his game was actually released here in the west before hand.

I'm starting to think steve is this game's verision of the chorus kids.
Than I guess Banjo & Kazooie is this game's version of Duck Hunt.

During the Smash 4 days, there was the "Gematsu Leaks" because one guy got a list of 6 characters that were to be newcomers in Smash 4 and got three right (:4villager::4megaman: and :4wiifit:)

He also leaked :4littlemac:, :4greninja: (Who just like Verge at first didn't know which Pokemon it was.), :4miibrawl:, :4miigun:, :4miisword:, :4palutena:, and :4pacman:. He also missed :4drmario:, :4darkpit:, :4bowserjr:, and :4duckhunt:.

- Metroid Prime (2002)

I didn't know Retro developed Mario Kart 7. That was the only Mario spin off from what I can recall that doesn't have Waluigi playable in it. Waluigi's Pinball though was a track in that game.

If Banjo is in, he’s playable
Of course Banjo & Kazooie are going to be playable if they get in Smash. They deserve playable status more than to be anything else in Smash.

Violante

Smash Apprentice
The problem with leakers is that the conversation shifts from predicting what content will be in the game to discussing the merits of an anonymous user with zero credentials who is sometimes right, and if they be will be less not-right in the future.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
He never said she was an Echo either. This is false. What he said was he had no idea if she was unique or an echo. Because his source didn't either.

And what he got right was all Wii U characters returning(which no, was not an easy guess), Ridley, Incinerorar, Isabelle, Ken, Ice Climbers, Simon, Ice Climbers, Wolf. All characters he name dropped too. Please actually say how it really happened instead of bending the truth. And that's right, nobody leaked those characters to him(Richter, Chrom, Inklings, Dark Samus, Ridley, King K. Rool). He didn't piggyback off of anyone either, but had his own sources. Besides that, nobody actually leaked Inklings. At all. Everybody figured out they were coming if a new Smash game was. They were the only beyond obvious lock that everybody could beyond see coming that there was nobody who needed convincing. No solid arguments for or against in any way either. The only thing debated was why they weren't in Smash 4. At best. For that matter, the leaks started way after Smash Ultimate's reveal, where Inklings had their "trailer"(though only kind of, as they lacked a tagline too, since it was more like a Smash Ultimate teaser than an Inklings Trailer itself). Kind of impossible to leak what was already revealed, you know? But hey, things aren't that black and white anyway.

What you failed to mention is that a bad source tried to leak that there were no DK characters. He didn't believe the source either. This is information he was never going to mention since he only leaks information he believes to be true. But another user decided to release that PM to discredit Verge. The information Verge actually got was likely based upon the demo. Besides, you also didn't even mention Pokemon Trainer's return. And even then, what Verge actually said was certain characters would be leaked at e3, not simply "in the game". Ridley, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Snake. And that at some point Simon will be showed off, not necessarily then. Ridley was a very difficult guess on its own, and most were not banking on Snake. IC and Wolf aren't too hard to guess since they were expected. Stealth also was proven to know next to nothing these days, with barely a track record at all(compared to Verge getting almost the entire base roster correct, due to the actual information he had, and how it was presented). Wasn't ResetEra also the one that thought the Grinch leak was real?(I can't remember that one) Never mind it was particular people in ResetEra that knew of Ridley, not the whole place. One person leaked him. They aren't a hive mind. That's not how it works.

Even Nintendo employees were literally surprised at this. Almost nobody knew. At least know the whole situation and why it was never leaked. That's not how leaks works. Nobody ever gets the full story from the start. Even Smash 4's information was split up to some degree originally. Gematsu didn't have the full details either. The fact we got a full picture leak of 4's final roster was a fluke, nowhere near something that is reasonable to expect. Even the leaker himself(one who is two people who dealt with the leak) made that clear. Any leak about a game comes from multiple sources. The whole "everyone is here" was an extremely well-kept secret to the point that a ton of people at Nintendo were kept in the dark. Verge can't leak the impossible if his source would never know, which is an accurate assessment of the situation. If he had said "only these characters and returning and nobody else", you might have a remote point. But you don't. He didn't literally say a certain characters were not in, which is an actual proper statement. You either know something or you don't. He, like most people, didn't know the entire roster was returning. Simple as that. Life isn't that black and white as you're attempting to make it, and never will be. Leakers get information from more than one source. This means not only can some sources be right, and some be wrong, but it means that some sources won't have the whole story. Verge clearly didn't get the whole story, but bare two things, got the rest right with the information he actually released. Coupled with leakbait, and it's easy to see why the Minecraft and SE content wasn't main game. Could also be last minute changes to plans, or just "talks about consideration of the ideas". His sources even were conflicted on how MC was going to be in. Good reason for that. And the fun part about the SE rep is he had multiple different possibilities. He also found out enough information to declare it "it might be base roster or DLC". Now, he did jump the gun too early on the SE information, absolutely. So see my next paragraph, cause the MC and SE stuff should be held against him. He actually got that wrong entirely. Not stuff he gets wrong if you stretch it enough to make him look bad when he told the truth.

Reality is all he got wrong was Minecraft content and SE content. That was it. Since that's how leaks work too. Not knowing a character is meaningless in itself. Saying a character isn't in is an actual big deal. If he didn't get leaked a character, then he couldn't "get it wrong". If he says a character isn't in, but the character is there, then he would be getting it wrong. But that's not what happened at all. Did he say, for instance, Pichu wasn't returning? That we'd get no new DK characters? That Dark Samus wasn't coming? No. Those would be legit knocks against him. There are two things he said were coming and didn't happen in the base game. That's all he actually got wrong. He got way more right than you realize, especially since you clearly didn't know that the Isabelle thing was mistook as people hearing he only heard and said she was an Echo(which wasn't true either. He nor anyone knew her status and said literally just that).
Really can't be bothered to read your essay but I'm assuming you're trying to say I'm wrong. I followed his stuff closely, I even had some (I stress some) of his information myself behind the scenes.

There's absolutely no question that Veregeben has some legitimate information, but it's always been fraught with misinformation or inconsistencies. Everyone and their mum was stating that the entire Wii U roster returning was a strong possibility, and THAT is an entirely different concept to every cut fighter ever returning. Yes, he was technically correct, but again like everything else it wasn't the full picture. So it's only something you can kind of half credit him as being right over.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

Xenoblade Chronicles was released in Europe in 2011 and the US in 2012, and the series had a cult following before Shulk's inclusion in Smash 4 before the series went big. So no, it's not like Melee were westerns didn't know who Marth or Roy was because any of the games in their series was only in Japan during Melee's release. so to answer that, you wouldn't be a weeaboo knowing about Shulk before Smash 4 because his game was actually released here in the west before hand.

Than I guess Banjo & Kazooie is this game's version of Duck Hunt.

He also leaked :4littlemac:, :4greninja: (Who just like Verge at first didn't know which Pokemon it was.), :4miibrawl:, :4miigun:, :4miisword:, :4palutena:, and :4pacman:. He also missed :4drmario:, :4darkpit:, :4bowserjr:, and :4duckhunt:.

I didn't know Retro developed Mario Kart 7. That was the only Mario spin off from what I can recall that doesn't have Waluigi playable in it. Waluigi's Pinball though was a track in that game.

Of course Banjo & Kazooie are going to be playable if they get in Smash. They deserve playable status more than to be anything else in Smash.
Mario Kart 7 was mainly developed by Nintendo EAD/Internal teams ,But Retro Studios helped co-develop the game and providing assets for Donkey Kong such as creating the DKC Returns racing track.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Really can't be bothered to read your essay but I'm assuming you're trying to say I'm wrong. I followed his stuff closely, I even had some (I stress some) of his information myself behind the scenes.

There's absolutely no question that Veregeben has some legitimate information, but it's always been fraught with misinformation or inconsistencies. Everyone and their mum was stating that the entire Wii U roster returning was a strong possibility, and THAT is an entirely different concept to every cut fighter ever returning. Yes, he was technically correct, but again like everything else it wasn't the full picture. So it's only something you can kind of half credit him as being right over.
We still have to remember that the DLC team is limited to only a dozen or so people. Any leaks about the DLC are nonexistent aside from the few of many text leaks that guessed Joker correctly. Since this is on Verge then he still has 0 credibility about the DLC now that base game is out. If anything this mass ridicule against him should hopefully get him to shut up.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I made it in the geno thread as a ****post. Was told I need to use it or else.
We still have to remember that the DLC team is limited to only a dozen or so people. Any leaks about the DLC are nonexistent aside from the few of many text leaks that guessed Joker correctly. Since this is on Verge then he still has 0 credibility about the DLC now that base game is out. If anything this mass ridicule against him should hopefully get him to shut up.
That doesn't stop the companies they negotiated with talking about it. Like if you believe tansuit with Cloud then someone on the negotiating team at SE is willing to spill the beans. So it could seem likely for it to happen again with other companies if it happened with SE.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I made it in the geno thread as a ****post. Was told I need to use it or else.

That doesn't stop the companies they negotiated with talking about it. Like if you believe tansuit with Cloud then someone on the negotiating team at SE is willing to spill the beans. So it could seem likely for it to happen again with other companies if it happened with SE.
I bet dollars to donuts that Hashimoto collaborates with leakers, because he just can't keep himself from shutting up about big news.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
If Banjo was revealed to be a Mii Fighter Costume I would literally die inside, all my hype, Happiness and general well being would be the equivalent to throwing a large rock into a pond, I'd sink to the bottom and lay there- wishing things were different.

Come to think of it, its the same as the Microsoft Buyout of Rare.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
If Banjo was revealed to be a Mii Fighter Costume I would literally die inside, all my hype, Happiness and general well being would be the equivalent to throwing a large rock into a pond, I'd sink to the bottom and lay there- wishing things were different.

Come to think of it, its the same as the Microsoft Buyout of Rare.
It would fully make me think the rest if the DLC will be nothing more then to just promote something. Completely ignoring all fan input.

Top Bottom