• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

sm0ke

Smash Cadet
NNID
AwesomeTeen
3DS FC
3351-4136-9511
Really!? I never knew that
Yeah, Japan has strict laws about violence (like how us Americans have strict laws on sexual stuff in media), so anything depicting decapitations, guts spilling out, or stuff like that is a no-no.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Exactly, which is why I find the idea of Erdrick being passed over for the previous Direct ludicrous. If they postponed his reveal and didn't want to overshadow the Direct, why would they not even reveal him in Japan, in which DQ is a Much Bigger Deal there?

My opinion is that everyone is still in the dark and they don't realise it. The complete opposite of the base roster leaks.
I agree, plus any leak that ended being real in teh past didn't take this long at all to be confirmed. Star fox GP, minecraft content, Erdrick or even the whole SE list… it might as well all be fake and everyone is in the dark, or at least people at that time. Which is exciting because that means we are open to total surprises now.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
With Helblade and Minecraft on Switch now.. it's not too unrealistic to me to imagine seeing a MS produced Banjo-Kazooie game of some kind coming to the Switch. It's more realistic looking now than it ever was.

Especially if MS believes there's more profit to be made from a Nintendo Switch version than a MS one. Microsoft looks like it's going in a unique direction of being a 3rd party publisher who also make's consoles... which sounds like nonsense but when you consider most Xbox One titles can be purchased on PC aswell as Xbox live being accessed on PC, Cleary they don't see the need to make their game's completely Xbox exclusive. If they were looking to expand this idea to any console I'd think Nintendo would be seen as the best candidate as theyre the least threatening, Nintendo has stated multiple times that they don't intend to compete with the other big 2. The Switch being a versatile hybrid and not some $600 power box proves this... I think MS may see the potential of Switch being marketed as a secondary console

With Helblade and Minecraft on Switch now.. it's not too unrealistic to me to imagine seeing a MS produced Banjo-Kazooie game of some kind coming to the Switch. It's more realistic looking now than it ever was.

Especially if MS believes there's more profit to be made from a Nintendo Switch version than a MS one. Microsoft looks like it's going in a unique direction of being a 3rd party publisher who also make's consoles... which sounds like nonsense but when you consider most Xbox One titles can be purchased on PC aswell as Xbox live being accessed on PC, Cleary they don't see the need to make their game's completely Xbox exclusive. If they were looking to expand this idea to any console I'd think Nintendo would be seen as the best candidate as theyre the least threatening, Nintendo has stated multiple times that they don't intend to compete with the other big 2. The Switch being a versatile hybrid and not some $600 power box proves this... I think MS may see the potential of Switch being marketed as a secondary console
Not to mention that rumor of Super Lucky’s Tale also coming to Switch. Another Xbox One exclusive

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
At this point, there is no reason not to include western 3rd party characters in Smash. Almost all the big Japanese names are in Smash, and almost anybody left that isn't in yet that's on their level is western:

Banjo & Kazooie
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Rayman
Master Chief
Steve
Lora Croft (Even though she is owned by Square-Enix, she is a western character in origin just like :ultdiddy:, :ultkrool:, and :ultdarksamus:.)
Kratos
Ezio Auditore

Hmm... who else am I missing?

I would love to get Goemon, Banjo & Kazooie, Dixie Kong, and Porky in the Season Pass. But if we just get Banjo, I'm calling it a day because I already got :ultkrool: and :ultridley: so just one more of my wants, notably Goemon or Banjo & Kazooie would satisfied me completely for the roster for this game.
You're missing Conker!

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Bad news, in a recent interview Chris Marlow was asked about a new entry in either Banjo or Conker, and his answer was "Other people are doing platformers, so why should we? Go play A Hat In Time"

Rare seemingly has nothing but contempt for it's own legacy, which makes me doubtful of Banjo in Smash now....

34:05 is where it starts

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Bad news, in a recent interview Chris Marlow was asked about a new entry in either Banjo or Conker, and his answer was "Other people are doing platformers, so why should we? Go play A Hat In Time"

Rare seemingly has nothing but contempt for it's own legacy, which makes me doubtful of Banjo in Smash now....

These days I can't even tell if they do self-deprecation anymore.

Besides, if B-K can be lent to other people via Microsoft, then there's no reason for Rare to even keep their IPs to themselves while they're only doing a pirate simulator for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Violante

Smash Apprentice
Rare has been hands off their own legacy for many years now, it's nothing new. They would have little involvement in Banjo as a fighter either way (it's not like Gregg/Steve Mayles were ever consulted about K Rool), and it's been assumed for a while that a new Banjo game wouldn't be from Rare, because they've expressed how little interest they have to do so. At this point in time that would probably be for the best.

D

Deleted member

Why would they tell them they are working on a Banjo game before it's supposed to be announced (if it is a thing)?

Last edited by a moderator:

It sucks if they have no interest in making a new game, but I really don’t understand this logic of “no new game = no Smash inclusion.” Half the characters in the roster wouldn’t be in Smash if that’s how it worked. Not to mention, if the N64 Classic really is coming with Rare titles, then there you go. Banjo is relevant again

TheBeastHimself

It sucks if they have no interest in making a new game, but I really don’t understand this logic of “no new game = no Smash inclusion.” Half the characters in the roster wouldn’t be in Smash if that’s how it worked. Not to mention, if the N64 Classic really is coming with Rare titles, then there you go. Banjo is relevant again
I agree, I don't think this means that Banjo is out of the running. But man what a darn shame. Maybe this is for the best though, because if Rare now-a-days brought back Banjo-Threeie, I just don't think it would be the same. The company as a whole has changed so much, and all their attention right is on Sea of Thieves.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Rare has been hands off their own legacy for many years now, it's nothing new. They would have little involvement in Banjo as a fighter either way (it's not like Gregg/Steve Mayles were ever consulted about K Rool), and it's been assumed for a while that a new Banjo game wouldn't be from Rare, because they've expressed how little interest they have to do so. At this point in time that would probably be for the best.
Rare would likely be in the dark on K. Rool, as they don't hold any ownership of him now.

In any case, I doubt that Rare was particularly eager to make Kinect Sports games in the past either, but the Microsoft executives have authority over them, so it happened. The same would likely occur even if they didn't care much about Banjo.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
A Hat in Time is more aligned with Mario Sunshine or Mario 64 than it is Banjo. Even the Alpine world in AHiT, which is reminiscent of the free-roaming aspect of Banjo, still takes you back at the beginning of the world. The only thing RARE about it is one of Grant Kirkhope's compositions.

TheBeastHimself

Rare would likely be in the dark on K. Rool, as they don't hold any ownership of him now.

In any case, I doubt that Rare was particularly eager to make Kinect Sports games in the past either, but the Microsoft executives have authority over them, so it happened. The same would likely occur even if they didn't care much about Banjo.
But is it fair to pin 100% of the blame on Microsoft? Because a lot of people quit Rare or got laid off and then more people started joining the company. I just think that the majority of people there weren't around during the N64 era so they all probably have their own vision of where the company should go, which is a complete mess. But this isn't me saying that Microsoft is 100% innocent.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Rare seems to miss the point, we have plenty of platformers but we want BANJO because the characters are special to us!

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Good thing Microsoft has final say and not Rare. If another company wants to do something with Banjo and Microsoft lets them. I don't think there is anything rare can do about it.

TheBeastHimself

Rare seems to miss the point, we have plenty of platformers but we want BANJO because the characters are special to us!
Who knew that the Great Might Poo himself would be the one to crush our hopes and dreams...

But yeah, another company working on Banjo is definitely a possibility. I just hope it happens sooner rather than later. I'm not that big into Banjo, but Mother is my favorite video game franchise of all time so I can understand where you guys are coming from.

I agree, I don't think this means that Banjo is out of the running. But man what a darn shame. Maybe this is for the best though, because if Rare now-a-days brought back Banjo-Threeie, I just don't think it would be the same. The company as a whole has changed so much, and all their attention right is on Sea of Thieves.
The best thing they can do is outsource a new Banjo game to Playtonic. All the old Rare talent is at Playtonic now and they still seem to have a love for Banjo that current Rare doesn’t. And seeing how they outsourced the new Battletoads to another studio, it seems like an actual possibility

Last edited:
Good thing Microsoft has final say and not Rare. If another company wants to do something with Banjo and Microsoft lets them. I don't think there is anything rare can do about it.
True. Not to mention Phil Spencer tweeted late last year about meeting up with Rare to discuss their plans going forward. Which gives the impression that there’s more to look forward to than just Sea of Thieves

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The best thing they can do is outsource a new Banjo game to Playtonic. All the old Rare talent is at Playtonic now and they still seem to have a love for Banjo that current Rare doesn’t. And seeing how they outsourced the new Battletoads to another studio, it seems like an actual possibility
On the flipside, Yooka-Laylee has been lukewarm on people, so they'd need plenty of resources to do a good enough job (and not outsourcing ports to other people).

NotGenerico

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. I've been lurking for a while and decided to join today to show you this.

The latest Game Informer Podcast has one of their editors, Imran Khan, mention that Phil Spencer has had on going meetings with Nintendo as a third party. He says there's probably more Microsoft stuff coming to the Switch besides Hellblade and Minecraft. This bodes well for a Microsoft rep, I think.

https://www.gameinformer.com/video-...show-jump-force-links-awakening-groundhog-day The discussion about this starts around the 58:00 mark.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace

Yikes! Good thing Phil has the final say in things.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Hey guys. I've been lurking for a while and decided to join today to show you this.

The latest Game Informer Podcast has one of their editors, Imran Khan, mention that Phil Spencer has had on going meetings with Nintendo as a third party. He says there's probably more Microsoft stuff coming to the Switch besides Hellblade and Minecraft. This bodes well for a Microsoft rep, I think.

https://www.gameinformer.com/video-...show-jump-force-links-awakening-groundhog-day The discussion about this starts around the 58:00 mark.
What else could it possibly be besides Super Lucky Tale or Rare games. I really doubt Forza or Gears of War is coming.

Last edited:
What else could it possibly be besides Super Lucky Tale or Rare games. I really doubt Forza or Gears of War is coming.
Yeah I definitely feel like they’re gonna port over a lot of their games that the Nintendo audience is likely to enjoy but they’re gonna keep the Halo/Forza/Gears type of games exclusive. They still need to give people a reason to want an Xbox, after all

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
At this point, there is no reason not to include western 3rd party characters in Smash. Almost all the big Japanese names are in Smash, and almost anybody left that isn't in yet that's on their level is western:

Banjo & Kazooie
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Rayman
Master Chief
Steve
Lora Croft (Even though she is owned by Square-Enix, she is a western character in origin just like :ultdiddy:, :ultkrool:, and :ultdarksamus:.)
Kratos
Ezio Auditore

Hmm... who else am I missing?

I would love to get Goemon, Banjo & Kazooie, Dixie Kong, and Porky in the Season Pass. But if we just get Banjo, I'm calling it a day because I already got :ultkrool: and :ultridley: so just one more of my wants, notably Goemon or Banjo & Kazooie would satisfied me completely for the roster for this game.
I really wish I was someone who wanted those two like so many others. Must be really nice to get people you're excited for lol

D

Deleted member

I don’t see how this hurts banjos chances

You don’t need a new game if you want to be in smash look at k rool

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Rare being mentioned a lot lately does seem kinda suspicious considering how all they want to do is work on their pirate game and ignore their past. But lets see how it goes.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Hey I know I'm always coming here with my Conker nonsense, but I just wanted to ask you guys this. If Banjo gets in, would anyone be willing to support him? Banjo and Conker are both stagnant franchises and their futures are uncertain, I think it's best we stick together. I mean the franchises themselves are even sticking together now-a-days:

volbound1700

Smash Master

I made a point earlier that MS could make more money off a Banjo game on Switch compared to Xbox one.

I am really getting tired of waiting on Nintendo. They have done a poorer job on Ultimate compared to other games with leading us on and not announcing content early. They should have announced another character in the last direct.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Hey I know I'm always coming here with my Conker nonsense, but I just wanted to ask you guys this. If Banjo gets in, would anyone be willing to support him? Banjo and Conker are both stagnant franchises and their futures are uncertain, I think it's best we stick together. I mean the franchises themselves are even sticking together now-a-days:

He isn't really my top contender but he would super nice as a 2nd Microsoft rep.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
The staff at Rare have been at peak Miyamoto level ideologies for a long time now. It's good to have passion in what you make, but if your consumers tell you they want something, and been telling you this for years- then you do it!!! This is why people love Smash Ultimate. These guys have joined the battle :ultkrool::ultridley: and were waiting for another certain duo that would be right at home in this game. Sea of Thieves' moderate success isn't going to give this company goodwill forever.

D

Deleted member

If I’m not mistaken polarpandas source said that there might be 3 Nintendo picks and 2 fan favs in the fighters pass and joker was a Nintendo pick so we have a chance

Last edited by a moderator:

I’d love to see Conker but I just can’t picture them wanting to put him in. It’s one thing for Snake and Bayonetta to have guns and stuff, but I doubt they’d want a drunken pissing pooping swearing character running around. Definitely could see him make it as a Mii costume though

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wonder which one Joker falls into.
Nintendo, since Joker was never around for the ballot.

If I’m not mistaken polarpandas source said that there might be 3 Nintendo picks and 2 fan favs in the fighters pass and joker was a Nintendo pick so we have a chance
Just to make sure, how recent is that statement?

Top Bottom