• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
Do any of you think there is a chance we could acually get both Steve and Banjo at the same time as DLC?

Do any of you think there is a chance we could acually get both Steve and Banjo at the same time as DLC?
I don’t see any reason it can’t happen. It would be the perfect E3 reveal with how close Nintendo and Microsoft are becoming and since PlayStation won’t be there

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I think the main difference is that Mario Kart, Party, Sports etc are just "Spinoffs" and don't interfere with the "Mainline" games.

Nuts & Bolts got a lot of backlash because fans waited 8 years for the long anticipated follow up to Banjo-Tooie and were expecting them to build off of it and be the ultimate Banjo-Kazooie 3D platformer experience, It also wasn't a spinoff it was the next installment and follow up to Banjo-Tooie, If Nuts & Bolts was a spinoff and was released along side "Banjo-Threeie" it would have been better recieved, But considering the circumstances it is largely been viewed as a big disappointment.

If Microsoft and Rare were going to plan on revisiting an IP that hasn't been used in 8 years then they better return to the roots of what made the franchise so great in the first place.

Doesn't help that the teaser trailer for Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts baited fans into thinking that this was actually going to be Banjo-Threeie.
I get this and you're right, ideally Microsoft should have went back to the roots of the franchise if they were going to revive it after a while. It only makes sense that way.

But as I explained in my previous post, Conker Live and Reloaded should have been an indication that Rare plans from before the Microsoft buyout were going to change. If Conker's Other Bad Day turned into Live and Reloaded upon Microsoft's request, then why didn't fans expect something similar to happen with Banjo? In Live and Reloaded, Conker looks pretty similar to his N64 counterpart because it's a remake of that game. Banjo and Kazooie had drastically different designs, so that should have been another indication right there that it was going to be something different.

Like I said I completely understand where you guys are coming from because of Microsoft's initial trailer for Nuts & Bolts, but once again, fans were under false assumptions and expectations. Everyone saw that trailer and immediately jumped to the conclusion of "OMG BANJO THREEIE" without thinking about the implications of their new designs, and without thinking about how Microsoft can alter initial plans (which they did with Conker Live and Reloaded, released in 2005 before Nuts & Bolts).

Like I said, I think Microsoft/Rare are justifiably at fault here. But fans can also be at fault (to a lesser degree) because there were already signs that things would be different (Live and Reloaded/New Banjo designs) and as much as the trailer looked like the classic Banjo games (which is Microsoft's fault), nothing outright confirmed that.

Last edited:

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
I mean, that's sort of like saying Mario spinoffs are terrible Mario games because they don't replicate that platformer elements of the originals. If people think it's a good game, and it belongs to the Banjo-Kazooie franchise, then it can be considered a good Banjo game.

If people don't like the game, so be it. But you can't compare Nuts & Bolts to Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie when it isn't even trying to be like those games. I feel like the main reason a lot of people hate Nuts & Bolts is because it isn't Banjo Threeie, and that isn't fair because, like I said, the game never marketed itself to be that way. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.
But see, Mario spinoffs are fine because Mario does that sort of thing. Banjo-Kazooie literally promised Banjo-Threeie at the end of Tooie, and then gave us Nuts & Bolts.

But see, Mario spinoffs are fine because Mario does that sort of thing. Banjo-Kazooie literally promised Banjo-Threeie at the end of Tooie, and then gave us Nuts & Bolts.
It didn’t “promise” us Banjo-Threeie, it was just a cheeky little throwback joke referencing the “Banjo Tooie” joke at the end of the original game.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Yes, that was a fault on my part. If you haven't already, please read my other posts. Banjo-Threeie may have been promised at the end of Tooie, but there were already indications that Rare's initial plans were not going to be the same, and instead of analyzing those indications, people continued to expect.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
W weallfloatdownhere7 You don't promise a "3rd game" at the end of your second game just like you did with the 1st game B/C most of your adience are kids who are going to beleve it (plus they were working on a 3rd banjo game for gamecube)

Also

Kazooie: Can i have my old abilities back? If this game isn't successful. We might need them for the next one.

L.O.G.: Good point. Although you may never get another game.

GOD I HATE NUTS AND BOLTS ENDING ! (plus it implies that if nuts & bolts fails they would get an old style banjo kazooie game, witch Nuts & Bolts did fail SURPRISE ! B/C it didn't play like the 1st 2 games IRONIC & they never even tryed to do a 4th game in the old style like kazooie said. I still don't know why M$ buys rare ?) I still blame nintendo tho they could of bought rare or kept the banjo kazooie IP

Did you guys see the @papagenos video ? it shows that Lucina Peach Issable & Inkling showed up on the xbox one mixer tab for womans day all using the smash ultimate renders !

My best case final 4 characters:

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Tails
3. Rayman
4. Bomberman

Also Geno and Knuckles Mii costumes return
Nice list, personally I'd swap Tails, for Dr. Robotnik, just cos I love Eggman.

Maybe Crash/Dixie Kong for Bomberman too.

This thread treads a lot around Minecraft, and I'm not going to lie, it gets a little repetitive. It's the simple "I don't want Steve to get into Smash over Banjo" sentiment (which I find to be completely understandable) hiding behind/turning into a "Steve doesn't deserve to be a fighter"/"Steve would be better as an AT or Mii costume" mentality, at which point a moderator comes in to keep people's anti-Steve fervor in check. I have to say, it gets kind of old.
To be fair there is only so much you can talk about that is BK related so there is going to repetition and lulls in relevant information to discuss. So at times things may slightly go off topic. Referring to just the pleasant and valid discussion, it happens everywhere, K.Rool/Dixie, Square "reps",etc,etc.

Last edited:
W weallfloatdownhere7 You don't promise a "3rd game" at the end of your second game just like you did with the 1st game B/C most of your adience are kids who are going to beleve it (plus they were working on a 3rd banjo game for gamecube)

Also

Kazooie: Can i have my old abilities back? If this game isn't successful. We might need them for the next one.

GOD I HATE NUTS AND BOLTS ENDING ! (plus it implies that if nuts & bolts fails they would get an old style banjo kazooie game, witch Nuts & Bolts did fail SURPRISE ! B/C it didn't play like the 1st 2 games IRONIC & they never even tryed to do a 4th game in the old style like kazooie said. I still don't know why M$ buys rare ?) I still blame nintendo tho they could of bought rare or kept the banjo kazooie IP
Rare are known for their sense of humor. I’m sure they would’ve loved to make a Banjo-Threeie if they would’ve stayed with Nintendo, but there’s no reason to interpret a silly joke as a promise of anything. The Banjo-Tooie joke from the first game was surely also just a joke, but we were fortunate enough to actually get the game

JonSmash

Smash Ace
W weallfloatdownhere7 NOPE they were making banjo-tooie right after banjo kazooie & advertised it at the end of kazooie so it was planed & altho rare clame threeiee was just a joke they were clearly working on it right after tooie for game cube along with conker & DK racing

JonSmash

Smash Ace
it was in an interview (might of been on rare replay ?) but its also been brought up on here a few times B4 look for it your self tho I'm too lazy & sleepy I'm sure you'll find it

SKX31

Smash Master
I do know there's this, but I think it's just a tech demo and not actually Banjo Threeie. I'm not too sure can someone confirm this for me? For some reason it has Conker footage at the beginning:

If it has anything to do with Threeie, it's probably a tech demo / very light story concept for it - thoe models are at least based on Tooie's (Tooie came out three months after Spaceworld in NA). I'm leaning towards something else: the Conker scene leads me to believe that that video's stealth marketing for both Bad Fur Day and Tooie. Or simply, Rareware's upcoming games at the time.

Either way, that's very early in development, if development started. Wouldn't put too much into it really.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._appear_in_mixer_banner_on_xbox_one_dashboard

This is a mystery wrapped in an enigma. I get that you want to celebrate the International Women's Day, but doing it with Nintendo gals is conspicuously odd.
Especially since that includes Peach. You know, the video game Damsel-in-Distress (someone even Average Joes are aware of). If Nintendo are okay with her on the Xbox, who knows? Could raise Master Chief's chances significantly for all we know. EDIT: Or we could be completely jumping the gun, that's a possibility. That said, 4 female Nintendo characters on there seems odd still.

Broke: Microsoft character in Smash

Woke: Smash Ultimate is coming to Xbox One
Bespoke: WoL as a Game of Thrones-esque Netflix series, co-produced by Microsoft and Amazon, written by Sakurai and directed by Steven Spielberg.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._appear_in_mixer_banner_on_xbox_one_dashboard

This is a mystery wrapped in an enigma. I get that you want to celebrate the International Women's Day, but doing it with Nintendo gals is conspicuously odd.
I really don't think this'll amount to anything. From what I hear this is a streaming service that works with PS4 games as well. This kind of thing is not really surpriseing. Then again I don't have an xbox. I doubt the Microsoft X Nintendo partnership will be shown before the official anouncement of Xbox live/ Game Pass on switch.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I dont know. Maybe you can get away with Marina's hair barely visible in a corner, but to have Peach, Lucina and Inkling front and center, 100% visible on Xbox, seems fishy to me. Considering that Nintendo is the king of having a stick up their ass, I don't think this would fly for long unless it was Nintendo approved.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It’s just a sad state that Banjo & Kazooie aren’t as relevant as they were because of the way their property was mishandled due to Nintendo and Microsoft’s actions.
Yeah, the buyout really did screw over Rare because they would have a bigger legacy outside of the DKC franchise and their N64 masterpieces right now had Nintendo decided to buy Rare.

They should be as big of names as Mario, Sonic, and Mega Man are these days and still be part of the video game landscape.
Banjo & Kazooie would never have been as big Mario and Sonic in a alternate universe where Nintendo buys Rare. But Banjo & Kazooie would have probably been as big of a name as Megaman, Samus, and Simon though in that alternate reality.

They deserve to be in the spotlight and having the chance to evolve as platformers as much as Mario.
I agree.

I hope things change for them because being compared to the likes of Croc, Gex, and Ty the Tasmanian Tiger (who I actually would like to see more of too, honestly) breaks my heart.
Actually, I think more people compare them to the likes of Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon more so than the likes of Croc, Gex, and Ty Tasmanian Tiger.

They’re literally my favorite video game characters and deserve new games and a place amongst the Smash roster!
I 100% percent agree on that.

I've been researching a lot about Banjo and Conker and I've found some recent, conflicting information from Rare and I'm not sure if this has been discussed here yet. This is everything I found:

Returning to old franchises would be

"The worst thing Rare could do. I don't think it's OK to just make the same game that people love before but with up-to-date graphics, audio and all those things. Just making them again with whatever technologies available today - that's not Rare. I think that what Rare is, is doing the kind of games that only Rare would do.

Like, no one else would go make Sea of Thieves in the way we're making Sea of Thieves, and I think unless you've got an absolutely killer, amazing idea for how you would bring maybe an existing IP or maybe one of those franchises and do something new with it from a gameplay paradigm or scenario or something that could actually be genuinely different and innovative, I don't think you just re-do them. I hink that would be the worst thing for Rare to do, honestly.

If I went and said to Rare, 'hey, go remake all the stuff that was kind of successful at the time but make it up-to-date,' I don't think it would be good and I don't think it would be relevant, and I don't think people would really want it. I think they might think they do, but I don't think they would." - Craig Duncan, Sept. 2017

However, in March 2018, Craig Duncan had something different to say, including finding "the right team" and "right creativity" for reviving old IPs.

"Rare has this 32-year back catalog of heritage and IP, and while I wouldn't say we were Disney or even Nintendo or SEGA or any of the other kind of long-term IP stalwarts in our business, people ask us to use stuff. It's absolutely not out of the realm of possibility, but not only does the 'why' have to be right, but the team, and the people, and 'who' have to be right. Rare is the guardian of Rare's IP. Who knows what the future holds?" - Craig Duncan, March 2018

So it seems like if we want new Banjo and Conker games, not only do we have to make Rare more aware of it, but a different company needs to have a good idea for it. Last we heard, Craig Duncan, the head of Rare, said that he thinks we want a new game but we don't actually. We have to change that mindset because I don't think that's necessarily true. But even if we do garner enough support for new games, Rare still might not do anything because they haven't had any good ideas for the franchises, so it all relies on another company having a new and innovative vision for the projects. So we need:
  1. More support
  2. A dedicated 3rd party outside of Rare
I agree with Duncan though on the right team and people working on old Rare IPs, but I don't agree with him on saying people don't want it, but think they do. Of course people want old Rare IPs to be used.

I see a lot of people complain about the usual fan request characters that became Assist Trophies or Spirits, But their exclusions don't even compare to Bomberman getting the biggest "Screw you" out of all of them considering the franchise's legacy and is already 35 years old, and is probably the last of the big early 80's gaming icons/mascots (Mario, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man and Mega Man) left to make it into Smash.
Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden, Arthur from Ghost & Goblins, and Bill Rizer and Lance Bean from Contra are also big 80's gaming icons missing from the roster as well.

It's a slim chance, but It's possible. But honestly, I think Master Chief should be the next Microsoft rep to get in after Banjo & Kazooie.

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
WOW so weird to see Nintendo characters on an xbox system (Also no kazooie for International Womans day ?)

Sure I'll look into trying out KI at some point but I am juggling a HUGE backlog of games right now tho

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
WOW so weird to see Nintendo characters on an xbox system (Also no kazooie for International Womans day ?)

Sure I'll look into trying out KI at some point but I am juggling a HUGE backlog of games right now tho
I'm surprised we didn't see Corrin too, since they like to promote the character's female form way more. And yeah, true. Though maybe it was a specific Nintendo-owned characters, but other systems decided it'd be a good idea to help advertise them. Considering Nintendo's characters are often known worldwide, while Microsoft's characters can often have less presence in Japan, they solely stuck with that. Another guess is that Kazooie is tied to Banjo by the backpack enough that they don't want to promote her separately at this point. The fact the B-K series is inactive could play a role too(though it does get a small bit of promotion... so it's partially surprising. But see what I said about the "tied to the backpack" thing).

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I saw t

Also

Did you guys see the @papagenos video ? it shows that Lucina Peach Issable & Inkling showed up on the xbox one mixer tab for womans day all using the smash ultimate renders !
I saw that too! I thought I was the only one

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I think the mixer tab might be randomized depending on what stream is currently popular? If smash is popular on mixer a bot might pull some smash images for the mixer tab. But it being international women's day with all the characters shown being women is interesting.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I really hope there is a huge payoff for the fans with this whole Microsoft x Nintendo thing going on… I can't stop having impossible dreams that i want to come true while at the same time feeling like this won't go as far and cool as we expect ugh…

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I get this and you're right, ideally Microsoft should have went back to the roots of the franchise if they were going to revive it after a while. It only makes sense that way.

But as I explained in my previous post, Conker Live and Reloaded should have been an indication that Rare plans from before the Microsoft buyout were going to change. If Conker's Other Bad Day turned into Live and Reloaded upon Microsoft's request, then why didn't fans expect something similar to happen with Banjo? In Live and Reloaded, Conker looks pretty similar to his N64 counterpart because it's a remake of that game. Banjo and Kazooie had drastically different designs, so that should have been another indication right there that it was going to be something different.

Like I said I completely understand where you guys are coming from because of Microsoft's initial trailer for Nuts & Bolts, but once again, fans were under false assumptions and expectations. Everyone saw that trailer and immediately jumped to the conclusion of "OMG BANJO THREEIE" without thinking about the implications of their new designs, and without thinking about how Microsoft can alter initial plans (which they did with Conker Live and Reloaded, released in 2005 before Nuts & Bolts).

Like I said, I think Microsoft/Rare are justifiably at fault here. But fans can also be at fault (to a lesser degree) because there were already signs that things would be different (Live and Reloaded/New Banjo designs) and as much as the trailer looked like the classic Banjo games (which is Microsoft's fault), nothing outright confirmed that.
To be fair I think since Conker's Bad Fur Day didn't perform very well sales wise they probably decided it was a better to reintroduce/reestablish the 1st game with an updated multiplayer to the then "New" Xbox audience and see how it does sales wise and then plan a sequel later on instead of relying on a sequel on a new platform that had a new audience outside of Nintendo.

Banjo-Kazooie was in the early stages of getting Banjo-Threeie and can probably get away with a sequel on the then new original Xbox since it was Rare's biggest and most successful original IP ,But even Rare juggled with concept of giving the franchise the "Live & Reloaded" treatment of remastering the 1st game with some added changes such as a termite queen appearing outside of the termite hill in Mumbo's Mountain and having Conga throw oranges at her or Grunty following the duo around seeing if she can outperform them at their own game, All of these ideas were under the title of "Banjo X" and were thinking of reintroducing the franchise to the mostly new Xbox audience as well, But apparently they felt that redoing the assets for another game was a waste and decided to just make a new one while they were at it.

I doubt their new designs meant they were set on changing the direction of the franchise, Remember that this was the franchise's Xbox and HD debut so they were probably aiming for a certain look/style, I also remember reading or hearing that the blocky artstyle of "Nuts & Bolts" was kind of an homage to the Kazooie, Tooie and the N64 era since graphics were kind of blocky during that time as well and vehicle's were implemented into the game because they felt the world's were to big to traverse through feet and platformers were getting stale so decided to mix it up and reach a new demographic.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Hey guys, there's another Unofficial Fighter Ballot, this time asking people who they'd want as DLC Fighters.

Here's the tweet with details:
https://twitter.com/SSBUNews/status/1102303354582126592

Obviously, I voted for Banjo-Kazooie, but it'll be interesting to see who wins this time.
We have to hold on to our title, We won the previous one also from SSBUN and We won the big reddit poll back in the summer.

Let's show everyone who's boss again !!!

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
There's no real reason to take part in this. They don't allow AT characters which makes up a good sum of the most popular characters left that people want so it makes the results pretty pointless.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
There's no real reason to take part in this. They don't allow AT characters which makes up a good sum of the most popular characters left that people want so it makes the results pretty pointless.
It does if your Banjo-Kazooie fan and we need to show our dominance and theirs still some big names out there such as Crash Bandicoot or Rayman, But it only makes sense and realisitic that they would exclude AT's since it's practically a death sentence, Not impossible, but highly unlikey that any of them make it as DLC.

Spirits are a lesser extent, But I think that depends on the significance/status of the actual character.

Last edited:

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
I feel like the results of this would be almost the exact same except with no ATs, Erdrick, Steve, and maybe Masterchief

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It does if your Banjo-Kazooie fan and theirs still some big names out there such as Crash Bandicoot or Rayman, But it only makes sense and realisitic that they would exclude AT's since it's practically a death sentence, Not impossible, but highly unlikey that any of them make it as DLC.

Spirits are a lesser extent, But I think that depends on the significance/status of the actual character.
My most wanted isn't even among Smash in general.

Reality is, people want characters that don't happen to be AT's currently or playable yet. If anything, this also gives a chance for fans of characters like Captain Toad, Tingle, and Pauline as well. I like this one. I feel like I took place in a very similar one too...

And if not made clear, I agree with you entirely. This is still worth filling out on its own. :)

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
It does if your Banjo-Kazooie fan and we need to show our dominance and theirs still some big names out there such as Crash Bandicoot or Rayman, But it only makes sense and realisitic that they would exclude AT's since it's practically a death sentence, Not impossible, but highly unlikey that any of them make it as DLC.

It doesn't really make sense to exclude ATs as this is a poll for who people want and winning this when the biggest competition is locked away is pointless. It won't show who is the most popular.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
But even Rare juggled with concept of giving the franchise the "Live & Reloaded" treatment of remastering the 1st game with some added changes such as a termite queen appearing outside of the termite hill in Mumbo's Mountain and having Conga throw oranges at her or Grunty following the duo around seeing if she can outperform them at their own game, All of these ideas were under the title of "Banjo X" and were thinking of reintroducing the franchise to the mostly new Xbox audience as well, But apparently they felt that redoing the assets for another game was a waste and decided to just make a new one while they were at it.
I remember a friend of mine telling me that Rare was planning to remaster the first Banjo-Kazooie on the original Xbox, but didn't do to Live & Reloaded not doing as well in sells as Microsoft wanted it too. Don't say I said that if it's wrong, a friend of mine said it.

Also, the idea of Gruntilda trying to best Banjo & Kazooie throughout the whole game sounds amazing to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom