• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I'd have to think about it and see how they play. When Mega Man was revealed, I was dead set on maining him, I LOVE him and his entire series. Come demo though I play him and....I hate how he plays. So I really need to see his playstyle before deciding.

Makaronileo

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if i will abandon kirby...
I will at least defently Second Main him!

Edit. Sorry accsedantly quoted someone.

Last edited:

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Man it feels like it been forever since I've been in this thread.
Though I'm glad too see how his mis appearance has not decrease his support but have also strengthen it too.
Glad to see the dee still kicking

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
You know, I just acquired Kirby's Dream Collection, and I noticed something that pretty much shoots down any concept of Dee "Not being an important Kirby character." He's prominently placed all over that milestone game alongside Dedede and Meta-Knight as a main character.

Title Screen? Yeah. Personal background action in credits? Of course. One of only three characters to be rendered and not just a sprite on the disk art? You better believe it.

Neo Zero

I had a question btw. Do we know how popular BD is in Japan anyway? I'm not asking for any guesstimates, but are there any polls or surveys or w/e that show this?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I had a question btw. Do we know how popular BD is in Japan anyway? I'm not asking for any guesstimates, but are there any polls or surveys or w/e that show this?
From Chronobound's findings
http://smashboards.com/threads/obse...es-desires-for-smash-4-by-chronobound.338160/

S:
Mewtwo
Roy

A:
Mega Man
Palutena
Shulk
K. Rool

B:
Dixie Kong
Chrom
Zoroark
Waddle Dee

"Only Kirby characters that come up are Waddle Dee and Gooey. Waddle Dee gets far more requests than any other Kirby character."
"Also, I think its important to note that Skyward Sword was the lowest selling 3D Zelda in Japan. Kirby's Return to Dream Land sold much more than it even"

He's decently popular, it seems.

Neo Zero

From Chronobound's findings
http://smashboards.com/threads/obse...es-desires-for-smash-4-by-chronobound.338160/

S:
Mewtwo
Roy

A:
Mega Man
Palutena
Shulk
K. Rool

B:
Dixie Kong
Chrom
Zoroark
Waddle Dee

"Only Kirby characters that come up are Waddle Dee and Gooey. Waddle Dee gets far more requests than any other Kirby character."
"Also, I think its important to note that Skyward Sword was the lowest selling 3D Zelda in Japan. Kirby's Return to Dream Land sold much more than it even"

He's decently popular, it seems.
That was actually really fast, thanks Fal

Yo we B tier? That's pretty darn good....granted it doesn't specify Bandana, but Bandana only recently got a name, and as we all know, he's the most important Dee. That's very reassuring, especially with another B tier in Chrom (apparently) being playable.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Warning: Wall of text.

If you look at my signature, you'll see Bandana Dee has a lot of competition to go up against.
Melee took me few hundred hours to decide between Marth, Link, and Fox. Then after I booted Fox out, it took me over a couple thousand hours to choose between Link (powerful hits + projectiles) and Marth, with Marth ending up being my Main in Melee because his gameplay feels perfect in Melee along with his safe longrange, quick, and powerful melee attacks. Sadly in Brawl I don't like his (and Samus's) gameplay, and I don't know why.

Brawl I'm still deciding because it added a lot of characters that were my favorites for Nintendo characters. Meta Knight, Lucario, Charizard, and Wolf. WIth R.O.B. being there for being a shining example of Nostalgia over things that are useless (and I like his awkward moveset). I never had a chance to play Kid Icarus before so I couldn't enjoy the original, but Brawl made me love Pit, spammable arrows, quick melee attacks, and can flap around a bit, so he's become a contender for one of my mains. Link remained one of my favorites, and is my favorite character to watch in Brawl.
I haven't had much time to decide between characters on Brawl so far.

In SSB4 they are making quite a few changes. Some of the slower characters seem sped up, so King Dedede and Ike have a shot at being mains, because they are just so darn fun to use, but they are way too slow. Speaking of which Sonic is getting changed around, so maybe he'll get some better KO options, so I don't have to feel like such a jerk when putting people to high %s (even if it suits Sonic.....). I've never tried the newcomers, so I could like any of them, but Mii Fighters look the most fun to play currently.

As for Bandana Dee himself, I like long weapons. One of my favorite Melee weapons is a Scythe (others being swords, and claws). Though they are rather rare unless you're going into anime-ish type games. Spear is somewhat similar, just less slashy (usually), and more pokey. I loved marth for his safe long-range, quick attacks. I feel Bandana Dee will be a lighter, stab oriented, multi-jump version of Marth, but with projectiles (saying that VERY vaguely of course). I feel Bandana Dee would be right up my alley in terms of gameplay. While Bandana isn't my favorite character (Meta Knight holds that honor), he has a good chance at being a main.
Never really thought too much about his gameplay before, I was basically supporting him because he deserves to be in. :bubblebobble:

Edit: Slight edit. Apparently I had another part of a post I was going to make from earlier in there. I just cut it out. Sorry about the confusion for the out of context stuff.

Why did you tell me to look at your signature in a post without a signature?

LF2K

Floor Diver
It would have been cool of they cave BD a retro NES sprite for Dream Collection's title screen. But then again, he never did show up for the really old games. :p

LF2K

Floor Diver
Those look good. Did you make them?

Speaking of NES games, here's something I found.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Those look good. Did you make them?

Speaking of NES games, here's something I found.
Yeah, I made them with Illustrator XD
Do you guys think they are good enough to be in the OP?

Awesome video, I will add it to the music section.
Other than Ridley, this is the character I want to see. He could be a lighter, quicker yet weaker version of Ike, having great range!
Thanks for your support! :D

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I already posted this before, but I made a KSSU version of Bandana Dee and posted it on Spriters Resource. Game-boy09 was my old name, and because I thought it sounded kiddy I changed it to GamerGuy09. Notice the "09".

Maikou

Smash Ace
I already posted this before, but I made a KSSU version of Bandana Dee and posted it on Spriters Resource. Game-boy09 was my old name, and because I thought it sounded kiddy I changed it to GamerGuy09. Notice the "09".

Somebody REALLY needs to hack Bandana into KSSU over Parasol Dee using this spritesheet.
Or at the least make a Kirby fangame where Bandana's playable.

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Somebody REALLY needs to hack Bandana into KSSU over Parasol Dee using this spritesheet.
Playable? Hell, they should make him the star.

A fanmade Gaiden-game that details the adventures of Bandana Dee as the events of Super Star occur would be pretty nice.

With a final boss of Fighter Kirby in the Arena, of course.

Neo Zero

I swear we had this conversation before

Not that it matters, its still 100% true, someone make this hack happen.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Why did you tell me to look at your signature in a post without a signature?
The signature always shows in the first reply someone has made on a thread's page. You can always go to a profile page and click information too if you don't want to look at the first post on that page for whatever reason. :bubblebobble:
Yeah, I made them with Illustrator XD
Do you guys think they are good enough to be in the OP?

Awesome video, I will add it to the music section.

Thanks for your support! :D
They look good. Though personally I don't like all the things going on with the Bandana. Too many things going on, kinda strays a little from his simple design. That's just apples to oranges with preferences though. :bubblebobble:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

Some bosses will appear in Smash Run like Bulborb and Kraid, the Kirby boss is Bonkers.
I think it's pretty weird, he is not even a boss in the Kirby games, is just a mini-boss, why not Kracko? Marx? Heavy Lobster? Dynablade? Galacta Knight? Magolor? or something better than Bonkers?... And why is he so big? He has the size of 3 King Dededes XD
It's not even a Super Bonkers XD

What do you think?

Dr. Canadian Bacon

Smash Cadet

Some bosses will appear in Smash Run like Bulborb and Kraid, the Kirby boss is Bonkers.
I think it's pretty weird, he is not even a boss in the Kirby games, is just a mini-boss, why not Kracko? Marx? Heavy Lobster? Dynablade? Galacta Knight? Magolor? or something better than Bonkers?... And why is he so big? He has the size of 3 King Dededes XD

What do you think?
Bonkers is a mini boss that's been in almost every Kirby game, unlike many other bosses. It's nice to see Bonkers get some good representation, he seems to fit. The reason he's big? I can't answer, but I like it. I'm wondering what Kraid will be like, he's bigger than Ridley! ;)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think it means that named bosses won't be Smash run. It's generic mook-fest.

Bulborb is a common Pikmin enemy, by the way.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Bonkers is a mini boss that's been in almost every Kirby game, unlike many other bosses. It's nice to see Bonkers get some good representation, he seems to fit. The reason he's big? I can't answer, but I like it. I'm wondering what Kraid will be like, he's bigger than Ridley! ;)
Yeah, well, that's right, at least he is iconic.
I think it means that named bosses won't be Smash run. It's generic mook-fest.

Bulborb is a common Pikmin enemy, by the way.
Oh...crap XD I know nothing about Pikmin, sorry, but still Kraid is a boss and a big one (in every sense of the word XD), is just that I think Kirby has a lot of cool, iconic and popular options for bosses and Bonkers is just...meh, in my opinion.

IronFish

Smash Ace
Yeah, well, that's right, at least he is iconic.

Oh...crap XD I know nothing about Pikmin, sorry, but still Kraid is a boss and a big one (in every sense of the word XD), is just that I think Kirby has a lot of cool, iconic and popular options for bosses and Bonkers is just...meh, in my opinion.
Probably saving them for a Kirby stage. I want the heavy lobster to appear on the Halberd now

smashkirby

Smash Hero

What do you think?

WHERE ON POPSTAR DID YOU FIND THAT SCREENSHOT?! PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS A VIDEO OF THIS SMASH RUN PLAYHROUGH! BTW, that is Mega Man I'm looking at, and (sadly) not Bandana Waddle Dee, right?

Freduardo

Smash Champion

What do you think?
Play as Dedede in a Kirby game where you can play as Dedede, fight Bonkers. He's a little larger for this, but not an insane amount.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

WHERE ON POPSTAR DID YOU FIND THAT SCREENSHOT?! PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS A VIDEO OF THIS SMASH RUN PLAYHROUGH! BTW, that is Mega Man I'm looking at, and (sadly) not Bandana Waddle Dee, right?
I found that image in another thread (K.Rool or Ridley, I don't remember) , and yes, it's Mega Man :c XD
But here is a new GameXplainvideo with more gameplay (Fights and Smash Run).
Play as Dedede in a Kirby game where you can play as Dedede, fight Bonkers. He's a little larger for this, but not an insane amount.
Yeah I know :B, but still, that Bonkers is enormous XD

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I found that image in another thread (K.Rool or Ridley, I don't remember) , and yes, it's Mega Man :c XD
But here is a new GameXplainvideo with more gameplay (Fights and Smash Run).

Yeah I know :B, but still, that Bonkers is enormous XD
Well, do you think you can direct to me to where you found the pic? (You know, just keep back-tracking until I find the source.)

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕

What do you think?
Bonkers is an common and well known sight in Kirby games, he's pretty iconic to them, since he's usually the only way to get the Hammer ability and has a quite sizeable appearances. Usually always in mini bosses. So its quite understandable (and fits pretty well) why he'll be a boss in smash run.
Still I agree he should be a mook not a boss, kracko would of been the best choice in my opinion (or maybe zero 2 but seems over kill for something like this)

Last edited:

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
If you're worried about Bandana Waddle Dee being a Stage Hazard or Assist Trophy, here's the thing -

Why he WON'T be an Assist Trophy
Throughout the entire Invitational and recordings of Smash-Fest, and everything at E3.. I have seen no footage of him showing up as an Assist Trophy. I'm sure all of the Assist Trophies have been finished this far into development. Also, Knuckle Joe remains an Assist Trophy likewise from Brawl. Need I say more? Lol. Anyways, it's pretty obvious he won't be one.

Why his chances of being a Stage Hazard are slim
As I'm sure many of you noted - There are FAR more deserving characters in the Kirby series who should be one. (Kracko, Magolor, Queen Sectonia, etc.)
HOWEVER, that isn't it. Depending on the type of Kirby stage that we get could also very well alter his chances. It only feels right for a stage like Cookie Country to have him be there, or maybe Dedede's Castle. But I'm sure we're more likely to see something like Another Dimension or Queen Sectonia's Castle - Both of which have liable stage hazard fitting characters + Bandana Waddle Dee wouldn't feel right to appear in that area. And those are more interesting than a generic grassland IMO.

And I think somewhere along the lines someone mentioned him as an enemy/boss in Smash Run..that's even more less likely. Regular Waddle Dee along with Parasol ones are already in, and having him as a boss wouldn't seem appropriate considering you rarely ever having to fight him in the main games aside from special occasions, and he's a pretty small character. Most of the bosses in Smash Run are large.

So having him as a character is virtually the only choice I can see happening to him at this point. Having him as a regular collectible Trophy is unacceptable because he has too big of a role. But these are just my thoughts on it.

I'll have to ask for a source.
Here you go! http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/2/5863707/nintendo-direct-youkai-watch-2-july-4

I don't see them making any new announcements related to Smash, though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom