• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

LF2K

Floor Diver
BD would probably weight slightly (and I do mean slightly) more than Kirby. That spear probably weighs a modest amount. The cloth of his bandana probably weighs almost nothing, though. :p

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
What do you mean not really? Yeah it's not by much of a difference, but it's still more of a difference than Meta Knight and Kirby.
I don't know, you said Squirtle and G&W are heavier than Kirby, but they are lighter.
Maybe I didn't understand something ._. , English is not my first language, sorry.

Maikou

Smash Ace
What if his customization was some moves using his spear, and his others using the parasol!
!
That.....actually makes sense! Guys, we need to take into account the custom move options! Bandana's alternate specials could involve Parasol and Beam ability moves!
New moveset idea! Here:
This only includes my ideas for Bandana's alternate specials. Other moves remain the same from my previous moveset idea.

Alternate N-Special 1: Parasol attack/Shield. Bandana takes the Parasol off of his back and attacks just like the basic attack from Return to Dreamland/Triple Deluxe. some water sprays out to extend the range. Body of Parasol causes 5%, Star tip causes 9%, water spray causes 3%

Alternate N-Special 2: Beam Whip/Wave Beam. Pressing the special button causes Bandana to equip the Beam Scepter and emit the Beam attack the way a normal Waddle Doo enemy uses it/ the way Beam Kirby does the basic attack. Holding the special button down causes Bandana to charge the scepter and unleash the spherical attack upon release. Basic Beam Whip causes 5% damage, charged Wave Beam causes 10% damage with slight knockback.

Alternate Side-Special 1: Parasol Drill. Bandana takes the Parasol off his back and rushes forward with it, stars flying out on either vertical side of the Parasol to spin with it. Each hit before the final one causes 3% damage, the final hit causing 6% damage and knockback if hit by the body. If hit by the star tip, the drilling hits cause 6% damage and on the final hit, 12% with decent knockback. The stars cause 2% damage and flinching.

Alternate Side-Special 2: Beam Cycle. The exact same move from KSSU, KRtDL, and KTD. Bandana waves the Beam Scepter around in front of himself in small circles, causing the beam to do the same. Holding the button causes this to last until the plaer releases the button. The move acts like the old Infinite Jab combos in that it hits the enemy multiple times and forces them back with each hurt until they're out of the move's range.

Alternate Up-Special 1: Parasol Drift. Bandana pulls out the Parasol from his back and launches directly upward slightly, then opens the parasol and floats down as if using the Parasol item. (the animation is the same as the actual move from RtDL and TD) the opening attack causes 4% damage and with very small knockback. Anything that touches the parasol during the drift will take 3% damage and slight knockback. The move can be cancelled into a fastfall by pressing downward. Upon pressing down, Bandana will close the parasol and go into the classic Kirby diving animation. When he lands or if he touches someone from above, he will bounce and take his normal falling animation. The person hit by the falling Dee will take 1% damage and flinch. Hitting a foe with the tip will cause 10% damage in the jump, and 6% damage during the drift.

Alternate Up-Special 2: Beam Tether. An original move based on the Capture Beam, Bandana will reach out above himself with the beam to catch a ledge and tether to it. Basically a copy of ZSS' original up-special. (Sucks, I know, but it's hard to work with Beam on a recovery move)

Alternate Down-Special 1: Parasol Twirl/Dive. Exactly like in-game, Bandana will take out the Parasol and twirl it below himself. When used in the air, he will cancel his upward momentum and move downwards spinning the umbrella below himself as two stars spin around the Parasol. the body of the Parasol causes 3% damage with each hit, the tip causes 6%, and the stars on either side cause 4% damage. On the ground, the stars will not appear and Bandana will perform a very small hop so the move lasts for 2 seconds. (I'm still unsure of how exact "frames" are)

Alternate Down-Special 2: Beam Blast. Bandana will perform a short hop (both midair and on ground) and fire the beam in a straight diagonal line downwards in front of him. Can hit multiple times, causes 4% damage with each hit and flinching.

So, what does everyone think? If everyone would like, I can edit this to include my full moveset as well.

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
¿Español es la idioma de Dream Land? ¿Dónde es mi pañuelo azul y lanza?

Did I say that right? My Spanish skills are extremely rusty. :p

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace
!
That.....actually makes sense! Guys, we need to take into account the custom move options! Bandana's alternate specials could involve Parasol and Beam ability moves!
New moveset idea! Here:
This only includes my ideas for Bandana's alternate specials. Other moves remain the same from my previous moveset idea.

Alternate N-Special 1: Parasol attack/Shield. Bandana takes the Parasol off of his back and attacks just like the basic attack from Return to Dreamland/Triple Deluxe. some water sprays out to extend the range. Body of Parasol causes 5%, Star tip causes 9%, water spray causes 3%

Alternate N-Special 2: Beam Whip/Wave Beam. Pressing the special button causes Bandana to equip the Beam Scepter and emit the Beam attack the way a normal Waddle Doo enemy uses it/ the way Beam Kirby does the basic attack. Holding the special button down causes Bandana to charge the scepter and unleash the spherical attack upon release. Basic Beam Whip causes 5% damage, charged Wave Beam causes 10% damage with slight knockback.

Alternate Side-Special 1: Parasol Drill. Bandana takes the Parasol off his back and rushes forward with it, stars flying out on either vertical side of the Parasol to spin with it. Each hit before the final one causes 3% damage, the final hit causing 6% damage and knockback if hit by the body. If hit by the star tip, the drilling hits cause 6% damage and on the final hit, 12% with decent knockback. The stars cause 2% damage and flinching.

Alternate Side-Special 2: Beam Cycle. The exact same move from KSSU, KRtDL, and KTD. Bandana waves the Beam Scepter around in front of himself in small circles, causing the beam to do the same. Holding the button causes this to last until the plaer releases the button. The move acts like the old Infinite Jab combos in that it hits the enemy multiple times and forces them back with each hurt until they're out of the move's range.

Alternate Up-Special 1: Parasol Drift. Bandana pulls out the Parasol from his back and launches directly upward slightly, then opens the parasol and floats down as if using the Parasol item. (the animation is the same as the actual move from RtDL and TD) the opening attack causes 4% damage and with very small knockback. Anything that touches the parasol during the drift will take 3% damage and slight knockback. The move can be cancelled into a fastfall by pressing downward. Upon pressing down, Bandana will close the parasol and go into the classic Kirby diving animation. When he lands or if he touches someone from above, he will bounce and take his normal falling animation. The person hit by the falling Dee will take 1% damage and flinch. Hitting a foe with the tip will cause 10% damage in the jump, and 6% damage during the drift.

Alternate Up-Special 2: Beam Tether. An original move based on the Capture Beam, Bandana will reach out above himself with the beam to catch a ledge and tether to it. Basically a copy of ZSS' original up-special. (Sucks, I know, but it's hard to work with Beam on a recovery move)

Alternate Down-Special 1: Parasol Twirl/Dive. Exactly like in-game, Bandana will take out the Parasol and twirl it below himself. When used in the air, he will cancel his upward momentum and move downwards spinning the umbrella below himself as two stars spin around the Parasol. the body of the Parasol causes 3% damage with each hit, the tip causes 6%, and the stars on either side cause 4% damage. On the ground, the stars will not appear and Bandana will perform a very small hop so the move lasts for 2 seconds. (I'm still unsure of how exact "frames" are)

Alternate Down-Special 2: Beam Blast. Bandana will perform a short hop (both midair and on ground) and fire the beam in a straight diagonal line downwards in front of him. Can hit multiple times, causes 4% damage with each hit and flinching.

So, what does everyone think? If everyone would like, I can edit this to include my full moveset as well.
Needs a Spear Copter

Maikou

Smash Ace
Needs a Spear Copter
As I mentioned at the top, Bandana's full moveset from the last time I posted a moveset (recently updated said moveset to include numbers and slightly more detail; check page 91) is still the exact same; I was just posting the two alternate Specials Bandana could have. Sakurai has confirmed that each character has three Specials to choose from for each direction. in other words, Three N-Specials, Three Side-Specials, Three Up-Specials, and Three Down-Specials. I already put the normal moveset up, this one just gives the alternate moves.

.....Unless you meant something else by that?

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
When I think Of bandana Dee moveset, I use some Kirby Moves like is Kirby 64 version Dash Attack to Bandana Dee because Waddle dee use that move he do in brawl(He does nothing for sure) and is be cool is that move would hit very hard, he really suit him for Bandana Dee and any other Waddle Dee.
Is megaton Punch neeed to be like a Stun move is your are close enough.
Well mostly Waddle dee need to feel a little bit heavier than Kirby (because of spear) and would be a MID-Long Range Fighter.
I need to take time to think more of a potential moveset.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I don't know, you said Squirtle and G&W are heavier than Kirby, but they are lighter.
Maybe I didn't understand something ._. , English is not my first language, sorry.
Woops my bad, I did say heavier. I thought I sad lighter. I guess I was really tired when I was making that post. :bubblebobble:
Also nice job on speaking more than one language. I'm only able to speak English, one of these days I'll learn another language too.

Burigu

Smash Ace
!
New moveset idea! Here:

Aren't specials just effect variants of the default special ones? Like Mario still using the Fire Ball for all his normal specials, and the same Jump Punch for his Up special I agree yours are interesting ideas, but if you have made specials using the Spear, his others would be similar in nature. So theorically speaking that BD is a character, I don't think he would replace his spear for the parasol, unless his UP SPECIAL is the recovery with the parasol. What I try to say is that he would always use the spear regardless of the moves you choose, every special would be only a variant and not something totally different. Only Palutena and the Mii fighters have that feature until now.

By the way I am not critizising your idea is pretty original only pointing out in case you forgot that detail

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I changed my avatar, what do you think? Do you prefer this one or the older one?
What? They have Bandana Dee in them, this is not off-topic :awesome:

Also nice job on speaking more than one language. I'm only able to speak English, one of these days I'll learn another language too.
Cool! :D

Burigu

Smash Ace
Woops my bad, I did say heavier. I thought I sad lighter. I guess I was really tired when I was making that post. :bubblebobble:
Esa es una de las ventajas que tenemos los que no somos nativos con el idioma inglés.
That is one of the advantages that we non native english speakers have, but I suggest you to study another language, is a really cool experience and the best brain exercise, acording to my japanise teacher

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
Aren't specials just effect variants of the default special ones? Like Mario still using the Fire Ball for all his normal specials, and the same Jump Punch for his Up special I agree yours are interesting ideas, but if you have made specials using the Spear, his others would be similar in nature. So theorically speaking that BD is a character, I don't think he would replace his spear for the parasol, unless his UP SPECIAL is the recovery with the parasol. What I try to say is that he would always use the spear regardless of the moves you choose, every special would be only a variant and not something totally different. Only Palutena and the Mii fighters have that feature until now.

By the way I am not critizising your idea is pretty original only pointing out in case you forgot that detail
I didn't forget. The thing is, Palutena and the Miis both have differing specials as every option. Basically, what are the chances of only two characters (I'm counting the miis as one character because the only real difference is class) in an ENTIRE roster of awesome characters will have the ability to COMPLETELY change their special moves? Besides, Kirby's inhale was able to be changed to ice breath. I'd say Bandana's alternate specials changing to Parasol and Beam wouldn't be TOO drastic. I can try to make alternate specials based upon the original moveset though, if you'd prefer.

Burigu

Smash Ace
I didn't forget. The thing is, Palutena and the Miis both have differing specials as every option. Basically, what are the chances of only two characters (I'm counting the miis as one character because the only real difference is class) in an ENTIRE roster of awesome characters will have the ability to COMPLETELY change their special moves? Besides, Kirby's inhale was able to be changed to ice breath. I'd say Bandana's alternate specials changing to Parasol and Beam wouldn't be TOO drastic. I can try to make alternate specials based upon the original moveset though, if you'd prefer.
Well in Kirby's case he does the same animation and no visible weapon is shown, but for your idea Bandana Dee's specials would look a bit to different in the animation department there is always the posibility I agree, but first Bandana needs to be confirmed and then confirmed to have said variations, I am ok with your idea as I said is pretty original, I only said that because characters with completely new specials are the exception and not the rule, so it's safer to asume that is most likely that an hipotetical character as BD would get the normal threatment and not the special, you can do the specials based on his original moveset if you want, I don't mind your current idea, I was just curious if you take that into account, do it if you really want to

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Esa es una de las ventajas que tenemos los que no somos nativos con el idioma inglés.
That is one of the advantages that we non native english speakers have, but I suggest you to study another language, is a really cool experience and the best brain exercise, acording to my japanise teacher
I want to learn Japanese because Japan has a major influence upon video games. Spanish just because it's basicly the second language in the U.S.A.
Maybe someday I'll be ambitious (and nerdy) enough to learn some video game languages for fun if they expanded on them enough to actually have a language. I'll probably starting with the dovah language in skyrim if they expanded that enough, they probably didn't though. I'm just a sucker for things relating to dragons, and funnily enough the highlight of Skyrim for me was just listening to the dragons talk. I'm usually the type of person that doesn't even care about storyline and such and just wants gameplay (I guess Skyrim just does that sort of thing well).

I think it's safe to say it's easy to learn Bandana Dee's language. No words. :bubblebobble:

@the topic
Think it'd be possible for Waddle Dee to have the properties of his weapon be slightly changed, instead of replacing his specials? Could possibly lower the time to make Dee and gives him customizability.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Perhaps the alternate specials would change the length of his spear? For example, he could toss a longer spear that does more damage. But to balance it out, he could toss them extremely slowly. There's also rapid fire short spears.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
And the swap color palettes to be the same from Kirby Rainbow course, They don't need to do much with him changing the color.

^Chandelure Nice avatar 10/10 make my day.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I hadn't noticed the Ridley head in Chandelure's Avatar. :laugh:

Killer Bandana Dee would be Villager's successor. :lick:

Maikou

Smash Ace
Can we PLEASE stop the "murdrerer Villager" meme already? it's more cliche, overused, and annoying already than "Over 9000" and "THis is Sparta" PLUS "Its No Use" AND many others COMBINED. I seriously don't get the murder vibe you people seem to love so much.
That picture describes in essence a small amount of the Waddle Dee abuse we see happen to most of them. We need less critter abuse and more just happy "daw" pics. In general, I mean.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Can we PLEASE stop the "murdrerer Villager" meme already? it's more cliche, overused, and annoying already than "Over 9000" and "THis is Sparta" PLUS "Its No Use" AND many others COMBINED. I seriously don't get the murder vibe you people seem to love so much.

That picture describes in essence a small amount of the Waddle Dee abuse we see happen to most of them. We need less critter abuse and more just happy "daw" pics. In general, I mean.
Relax man. You're going to have a rough life if you always get annoyed by such small things as those "jokes". They are mainly just "ha, you made a reference" and then just move on with whatever else is goin on. Not everything is supposed to be taken seriously, especially many things that are on the internet. Either try to enjoy the jokes, or just ignore them. Ignoring things is pretty easy to do.

Personally I like pretending the villager is all evil and stuff, he just has the perfect face for it (Though I never mention it, because people tend to get angry too easily). Maybe it's just because I've watched a bazillion "horror" movies in my teenage years. It just makes villager more interesting than a few other character like Mario, Donkey Kong, Jigglypuff, etc, even though it's obvious that's not true about him.

To bring it back to topic. Does Bandana Dee have any meme worthy material yet? Sometimes memes can go a great way to improve the popularity of something. Even if the meme itself isn't great, it will at least make people know about whatever the meme is about.

LF2K

Floor Diver
There was a meme were the Waddle Dee in Super Star's Arena was treated like a God of Destruction, despite being a joke boss. But it really wasn't anything like the Villager's psychopath meme.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I unfortunately doubt that Bandanna Dee is on the main roster at this point, but on the bright side I would say that he is a top DLC contender.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
What makes you say that?
While I believe Sal Romano, I don't think the Gematsu 3 are the only other newcomers we are getting.
I think we'll also get Mewtwo and Ridley. We might get a third newcomer after that, which I think would be K. Rool, a retro character, or bandanna Dee. I'd say he has a significant shot for the main roster, but not a good one.

Maikou

Smash Ace
I don't trust leaks. I just.....don't trust them. Some of them are too good to be true, others are just.......So....So stupid. Some make logical sense, but still have that one fatal flaw that makes it untrustworthy. I just kind of try to avoid them, too. I don't like spoilers. Personally I'd rather just let the actual evidence and hints we find in Sakurai's official posts be what we go off of.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
While I believe Sal Romano, I don't think the Gematsu 3 are the only other newcomers we are getting.
I think we'll also get Mewtwo and Ridley. We might get a third newcomer after that, which I think would be K. Rool, a retro character, or bandanna Dee. I'd say he has a significant shot for the main roster, but not a good one.
You're thoughts line up with mine. Here's my roster (it has changed a bit)

Now potentially, You could remove Bandanna Dee, The Unknown Character (Question Mark), and maybe Mewtwo, and replace the DK, Star Fox, and Unknown reps in my DLC section with them.

Also, I see this discussion of movesets. What's the chances of Bandanna Dee representing all Dee's with a Spear move, a Beam move, and a parasol move all in his default moveset? I see that more likely than an entirely different moveset depending on customization. I feel like "crazy customization" is reserved for Mii and Palutena. With Dee using all those powers in his default set, they could make variants similar to what we've seen with Mario. With the Scalding FLUDD and such.

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace
You're thoughts line up with mine. Here's my roster (it has changed a bit)

Now potentially, You could remove Bandanna Dee, The Unknown Character (Question Mark), and maybe Mewtwo, and replace the DK, Star Fox, and Unknown reps in my DLC section with them.

Also, I see this discussion of movesets. What's the chances of Bandanna Dee representing all Dee's with a Spear move, a Beam move, and a parasol move all in his default moveset? I see that more likely than an entirely different moveset depending on customization. I feel like "crazy customization" is reserved for Mii and Palutena. With Dee using all those powers in his default set, they could make variants similar to what we've seen with Mario. With the Scalding FLUDD and such.
I think you should replace Mewtwo with the DK or Star fox character, and have ? be Takamaru.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I think you should replace Mewtwo with the DK or Star fox character, and have ? be Takamaru.
I don't see another DK Rep in the roster at this point due to it not being announced already. That's not the only factor, but it's a factor nonetheless. Star Fox is in DLC for a character to be released to promote Star Fox U in 2014. DK Rep is my first expendable choice on this list over anything else if I'm real. I'd love K Rool in as DLC. But I don't see a character like that, that would cause a
lot of hype, being DLC. Characters like him are used to sell the title at launch. Which is why Ridley is either in at the start or not at all (he's gonna be in).

Takamaru is a different case. I would have had him on my roster at the beginning of this year. But he still hasn't been announced yet. If they were really rebooting Takamaru, I think he'd be announced by now along with his new title. The only thing that is evidence for him is him being kind of in Nintendo Land. Which still isn't that big of a deal. Maybe a new Takamaru title is announced after launch and he is included as DLC? I'm not sure.

Mewtwo just makes sense. Him, Palutena, and Ridley were teased the most in the direct. I see it happening.

I wrote this them realized I'm in the Dee thread. This is off topic. My apologies.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Forgive me if I missed the memo, but is DLC gaurunteed somewhere?
I just ask this because Nintendo usually never does DLC. I don't see them ever changing their ways and start to do it now.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Forgive me if I missed the memo, but is DLC gaurunteed somewhere?
I just ask this because Nintendo usually never does DLC. I don't see them ever changing their ways and start to do it now.
Gematsu.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Oh god... WHERE IS THE KIRBY STAGE?!

I can't wait XD
There Halberd but...

There still not a Brand-New Kirby stage.... I WISH there a return to dream land or triple deluxe. THEN Bandana Dee appears and say "Bandana Dee Bring swordsmen to shame!" and kick-butt everyone, then meta knight appears in the end. Random but awesome.

Top Bottom