• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Maikou

Smash Ace
It's not that I hate characters from games I've played, because I don't hate Sonic or Mega Man in the slightest. I need to ask you, what makes you think I'm hating on characters from games I've played? admittedly, I've never played any game that has Pac-Man in it. Mario Kart doesn't count because I don't play at Arcades. I've only ever seen videos and watched others play, and like I said, I've only seen the 8-Bit eater and the robot-reliant versions, neither of which really have a confirmed personality. What I mean by "Creepy murderer version" is that the Pac-Man in Street Fighter X Tekken gives off a creepy vibe with his eternal smile and the motions he makes, especially in his Rivalry cutscene with Bad Box Art Mega Man. Most people refer to it as a "Murderer/thing-I-won't-speak-of" expression, in other words, Villager 0.5 (Though I don't see Villager as creepy. Seriously people, Y SO MANY CREEPYPASTAS?!).

Thing with Dark Pit is that he has a personality directly contrasting to Pit and considering the different Kid Icarus: Uprising weapons, I feel they could make a moveset for him off of that. plus we'd get another Kid Icarus representative, which would be nice, especially considering the revival of the series. Though I will admit, Dark Pit is most likely either going to be an AT or a Stage Boss in the end. Anthony Higgs is just a character I think would be unique and as a Metroid representative who isn't Ridley, I rather like him.

I'm also speaking about my opinion, I know a lot more characters than the ones I think should get in deserve to get in. Honestly there are some characters I don't really feel anything towards, like Game&Watch and Olimar. I've never played the Game & Watches or the Pikmin games either, therefore having no real background or any feelings, positive or negative, towards either of them.

I know they're working with Namco, but it just annoys me to no end when people treat certain characters one way and won't even give others a second glance before saying, "This character sucks, the other is better." which is similar to what GameXplain did when they brought up Bandana Dee. I'm still annoyed at that.

Besides all that, and if we can at least try to forgive and forgot my earlier response, you never know with me: I might warm up to Pac-Man eventually. I warmed up to Bandana Dee eventually after initially not caring for him much, not that I hated the little guy at first, and there are other characters I've learned to like after not caring about or even hating them at first: in Brawl I was ticked that Snake was in, and I still am a little, but eventually I just warmed up to the character and enjoyed what little about him I found enjoyable. Seriously though, I swear someone at Nintendo secretly loves Yoshi abuse. "Why don't I capture one so we can see what they taste like?" Ugh.....just.....why....

I have a tendancy to "adapt". in fact, I adapt far to quickly to things. I can get used to a new game's playstyle (given that it's not extremely complex -.-) in mere seconds, and life-changing occurances like moving blow over like another day of doing absolutely nothing. In other words, I might get used to Pac-Man and get over my innitial reaction, and I might not, either way I admit I overreacted, and I won't act this way again. I might get angry if certain characters are put in over certain others, but I won't straight up rage about it.

.......I watch WAY too much Power Rangers and Pokemon, don't I? Then again, maybe it's a good thing I do so....

More onto Bandana Dee before we get off-topic too much, (Even we want to continue this, we can do it in a private conversation; that's one of the reasons they exist, right?) after trying a Waddle-Pacifistic route in Kirby Triple Deluxe, I began to notice something: This game just seems to HATE the poor things. seriously, Three Little Pigs reference with three waddle Dees that can't be skipped, and there are multiple times where you NEED to kill the poor things just to get to the end! heck, even if you ignore the Sun Stones, you still HAVE to suck up an innocent Waddle Dee just to get to the end! What's with the cruelty to the poor things? they never even attack! Besides Touch Damage, but that's just an annoying Gameplay Mechanic! (Seriously, who came up with that?! It's so annoying, especially when you use a Melee power like Hammer, Sword, or Parasol and don't have invincibility frames and get hurt during the attack and then die because you tried your Dash Attack only to touch the thing and lose a life! WHAT IS THE POINT OF ITS ATTACKS WHEN YOU DIE FROM TOUCHING IT?!)

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
It's not that I hate characters from games I've played, because I don't hate Sonic or Mega Man in the slightest. I need to ask you, what makes you think I'm hating on characters from games I've played? admittedly, I've never played any game that has Pac-Man in it. Mario Kart doesn't count because I don't play at Arcades. I've only ever seen videos and watched others play, and like I said, I've only seen the 8-Bit eater and the robot-reliant versions, neither of which really have a confirmed personality. What I mean by "Creepy murderer version" is that the Pac-Man in Street Fighter X Tekken gives off a creepy vibe with his eternal smile and the motions he makes, especially in his Rivalry cutscene with Bad Box Art Mega Man. Most people refer to it as a "Murderer/thing-I-won't-speak-of" expression, in other words, Villager 0.5 (Though I don't see Villager as creepy. Seriously people, Y SO MANY CREEPYPASTAS?!).

Thing with Dark Pit is that he has a personality directly contrasting to Pit and considering the different Kid Icarus: Uprising weapons, I feel they could make a moveset for him off of that. plus we'd get another Kid Icarus representative, which would be nice, especially considering the revival of the series. Though I will admit, Dark Pit is most likely either going to be an AT or a Stage Boss in the end. Anthony Higgs is just a character I think would be unique and as a Metroid representative who isn't Ridley, I rather like him.

I'm also speaking about my opinion, I know a lot more characters than the ones I think should get in deserve to get in. Honestly there are some characters I don't really feel anything towards, like Game&Watch and Olimar. I've never played the Game & Watches or the Pikmin games either, therefore having no real background or any feelings, positive or negative, towards either of them.

I know they're working with Namco, but it just annoys me to no end when people treat certain characters one way and won't even give others a second glance before saying, "This character sucks, the other is better." which is similar to what GameXplain did when they brought up Bandana Dee. I'm still annoyed at that.

Besides all that, and if we can at least try to forgive and forgot my earlier response, you never know with me: I might warm up to Pac-Man eventually. I warmed up to Bandana Dee eventually after initially not caring for him much, not that I hated the little guy at first, and there are other characters I've learned to like after not caring about or even hating them at first: in Brawl I was ticked that Snake was in, and I still am a little, but eventually I just warmed up to the character and enjoyed what little about him I found enjoyable. Seriously though, I swear someone at Nintendo secretly loves Yoshi abuse. "Why don't I capture one so we can see what they taste like?" Ugh.....just.....why....

I have a tendancy to "adapt". in fact, I adapt far to quickly to things. I can get used to a new game's playstyle (given that it's not extremely complex -.-) in mere seconds, and life-changing occurances like moving blow over like another day of doing absolutely nothing. In other words, I might get used to Pac-Man and get over my innitial reaction, and I might not, either way I admit I overreacted, and I won't act this way again. I might get angry if certain characters are put in over certain others, but I won't straight up rage about it.

.......I watch WAY too much Power Rangers and Pokemon, don't I? Then again, maybe it's a good thing I do so....

More onto Bandana Dee before we get off-topic too much, (Even we want to continue this, we can do it in a private conversation; that's one of the reasons they exist, right?) after trying a Waddle-Pacifistic route in Kirby Triple Deluxe, I began to notice something: This game just seems to HATE the poor things. seriously, Three Little Pigs reference with three waddle Dees that can't be skipped, and there are multiple times where you NEED to kill the poor things just to get to the end! heck, even if you ignore the Sun Stones, you still HAVE to suck up an innocent Waddle Dee just to get to the end! What's with the cruelty to the poor things? they never even attack! Besides Touch Damage, but that's just an annoying Gameplay Mechanic! (Seriously, who came up with that?! It's so annoying, especially when you use a Melee power like Hammer, Sword, or Parasol and don't have invincibility frames and get hurt during the attack and then die because you tried your Dash Attack only to touch the thing and lose a life! WHAT IS THE POINT OF ITS ATTACKS WHEN YOU DIE FROM TOUCHING IT?!)
Man, you sure do talk a lot. So you don't like Pac-Man, not for any real reason, and that is okay. Just don't try and say that your hatred is justified.

Dark2020

Smash Apprentice
---

Dark Pit is probably going to be an alt costume (like in brawl; like you said?) otherwise people will be like "CLONE/SEMICLONE/WASTE OF SLOT"

So... you never played GW and Olimar and you don't have any feelings eh? How come you went ape-**** when Pacman was revealed despite not playing any games that has Pacman in it; therefore, you shouldn't have any feelings about this particular character and you 'technically' didn't play any Pacman series game.

---

Ironically, you implied that Snake would ruin smash if he joined again in a previous post.

---
Read Green.

Yes I understand this is your opinion but overreacting to a character reveal to a point where you bashed on Third Party characters pretty much made you look like a fool. This shall be my last comment with you unless you bring in more stuff.

Last edited:

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman
Jigglypuff isn't going to be cut, he's the original 12..
i wouldnt have thought so but theres a lot of pokemon already =o thats my only reason of thinking it maybe
What's going on with this Pac-Man hate and Bandana Dee pessimism? ._.
STAPH! XD
idk why ;w; sorry boss, i dont even hate pac man, i like that they're being retro with him and not "LOOK ITS THE NEW ONE" but last night i felt kinda meh.

I guess i kinda did hope to see bandana cause i expected the reveal after the tournament and was a bit meh as i didnt get him after all x3, after sleeping i feel fine again now though and not as worried, theres still a chance theres more so im not give up hope

Last edited:

Dark2020

Smash Apprentice
i wouldnt have thought so but theres a lot of pokemon already =o thats my only reason of thinking it maybe

idk why ;w; sorry boss, i dont even hate pac man, i like that they're being retro with him and not "LOOK ITS THE NEW ONE" but last night i felt kinda meh.

I guess i kinda did hope to see bandana cause i expected the reveal after the tournament and was a bit meh as i didnt get him after all x3, after sleeping i feel fine again now though and not as worried, theres still a chance theres more so im not give up hope
4 Pokemon isn't a lot.... They had 6 in Brawl lul

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I forgot to say...cogratulations @ Pacack Pacack ! :D

Don't worry :)

Keeshu

Smash Ace
3rd party character stuffs. You could make a huge debate on another topic with something like that.
Not gonna debate it out, but these are just me feeling on it, then I'll go back to Bandana Dee.
Snake - Rediculously fun character to play as. However, he's the only 3rd Party character added so far that hasn't helped the gaming industry as a whole. Though my knowledge on Playstation is limited. I know Metal Gear is one of the more popular games for Playstation. To me, Spyro and Crash Bandicoot are the largest Playstation icons (and a few from Playstation all stars are rather iconic. However, some all stars characters aren't all that iconic sadly.)....... I want to play Spyro so badly, I just haven't had the chance to play it.
Sonic - He is basicly a representation of Sega, and how Sega used to be Nintendo's main comptetitor for a very long time before Xbox+ Playstation came around, but now they aren't competiting so much anymore and now Sega sometimes makes Nintendo games. So I think he's incredibly important.
Megaman - Some of the best games on the NES, and is one of the more iconic + Nostalgic characters in video games. He makes sense to add as well as Nintendo loves Iconic+Nostalgic characters..... Hoping Nintendo will get the rights from Capcom to make Megaman games though. That's another topic for yet another thread though.
Pacman - Regaurdless of any system you have, Pacman was/is one of the largest icons for games in general. Combine this with the company helping make Smash, it makes perfect sense to add Pacman. Though I sort of have a gut feeling that the company will add a random character that doesn't have the star power that the other.

Now back to topic on the characters revealed so far.
Palutena was expected for a very very long time. In SSB5 they'll probably add one of the villains as well. Palutena getting in wasn't going to effect Bandana Dee, as she was probably a higher priority than Bandana Dee in the first place because she's with you for a good majority of the game.
Miis - Once I heard customization, the Miis were the first thing I thought of and figured they were practicly confirmed since that's pretty much their whole thing. Controversial character because they are essentially self insert characters, but I like that they are included. Miis might just become one of my mains, since they are such blank slate characters, smash can make their movesets tailored specificly for Smash moreso than any other character. Miis were so huge that they needed to be added, even if the "hardcore" crowd doesn't want them in.
Pacman - If a company that's somewhat large is going to help make Smash Bros, you can't possibly assume they will not add Pacman since Smash is based around Nostalgia. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the company had an influence to add another 3rd party character that probably won't have the star power of Pac Man though because that new character will be awesome. IMO 3rd party characters don't effect Bandana Dee's chances at all.

So my stance on Bandana Dee is the same as before. No worries. While I do find Bandana Dee likely, I always thought he'll probably get into SSB5 first, but I'm just hoping for SSB4. :bubblebobble:

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman
Each character has three variations of each special attack x3
well bandana brigade? if you could modify the movesets we got posted how would you do it?

A superfast but low damage spearcopter would be amusing to me x3 imagine that with superspicy curry

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
You can also see 2 other different colored bandana dees. I'm pretty sure there will be 4 player coop and everyone else besides Kirby will be bandana dees.

This his biggest role yet. His chances sky rocketed from 50% to like 65%!

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
You can also see 2 other different colored bandana dees. I'm pretty sure there will be 4 player coop and everyone else besides Kirby will be bandana dees.

This his biggest role yet. His chances sky rocketed from 50% to like 65%!
More Bandana Dees?, like the colored Kirbys in the multiplayer Kirby games? :0

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman
If Bandana Dee is not in Smash 4 (Impossible :awesome:), he is practically confirmed for Smash 5.
I was thinking this too, this pretty much confirms bandana is 100% a main character now and isnt just a character who will stick around for a bit after return to dreamland and then drop away. all of my yes x3

edit: also those different dee's just make it easier for him for smash too, he basically has his colour swaps already picked for him now!

Last edited:

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
So, this wasn't DeE3 as most of us hoped. However, maybe at a future DEErect (that is something to cherish and it took me a second to realize what I had done) we'll see the Dee.

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
I've realized every joke/pun I'll ever make about Bandana Dee will relate to male genitalia whether it's intentional or not. I think that really says something.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

Here is a clearer Picture. Yep, there are 4 different Bandana Dees. Normal, Aqua and White, Yellow and Red, and Lime and Green.

There is a 5 player mode that involves the other Bandana Dees, or maybe your supposed to save them in story mode.

Either way this is awesome for us Bandana Dee fans and increases his chances to be in the game!

Last edited:

edsett

Smash Apprentice
Rainbow Curse is listed as 1 Player only though. I don't think there's co-op. I hope this isn't (as much as I hate to say this) a Toad situation with one character being interchangeable. I'm hoping for this has something to do with the story of the game. On the other hand, these are literal alternate color palettes for Smash.

And the original Canvas Curse game had unlockable characters right? I wouldn't be surprised if you can play as Bandana Dee during the main game. And this game as a whole looks very cute and fun.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Rainbow Curse is listed as 1 Player only though. I don't think there's co-op. I hope this isn't (as much as I hate to say this) a Toad situation with one character being interchangeable. I'm hoping for this has something to do with the story of the game. On the other hand, these are literal alternate color palettes for Smash.

And the original Canvas Curse game had unlockable characters right? I wouldn't be surprised if you can play as Bandana Dee during the main game. And this game as a whole looks very cute and fun.
Maybe there is a mode where you have to control 5 different balls? The other 4 being Bandana Dee? Anyway I think that this should be added to the OP, this increases his chances quite a bit.

Also just as a rebuttal of "They decided all of the characters already, so this doesn't mean anything." I say no, because if Sakurai is adding him in Smash, he might want to let people know who he and see him into more games.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Good news my friends, I've been looking at the character select screen to try and figure out the roster and I have come to the following conclusions.

Fox will start the third row, Pikachu will end it.
All Rpg characters will most likely be on this row so that means 13 characters each row

There is room for a forth Kirby character

This is what I got basically

Congrats, Bandana dee is pretty likely now.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Good news my friends, I've been looking at the character select screen to try and figure out the roster and I have come to the following conclusions.

All Rpg characters will most likely be on this row so that means 13 characters each row

I find the positioning odd, that Kirby goes from right to left. Same thing with Pokemon and Kid Icarus. I would also replace the Metroid 3 with the Star Fox 3.

However the roster itself is the one I would want.

Also if the "There will be 4 cuts" thing is true, then I think it would be Lucas, Snake, Squirtle, and Ivysaur.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I find the positioning odd, that Kirby goes from right to left. Same thing with Pokemon and Kid Icarus. I would also replace the Metroid 3 with the Star Fox 3.

However the roster itself is the one I would want.

Also if the "There will be 4 cuts" thing is true, then I think it would be Lucas, Snake, Squirtle, and Ivysaur.
Actually, while Kirby and Kid Icaurus were just guesses on my part, Pokemon will definitly being going right to left becasue Greninja comes before Pikachu on the roster, the layout is based on the demo screen and how Brawl arranged itself as you got characters.

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle

Here is a clearer Picture. Yep, there are 4 different Bandana Dees. Normal, Aqua and White, Yellow and Red, and Lime and Green.

There is a 5 player mode that involves the other Bandana Dees, or maybe your supposed to save them in story mode.

Either way this is awesome for us Bandana Dee fans and increases his chances to be in the game!
AHHH Bandana Dee is so cute! >_< And the others look like they could be good palette swaps for bandana dee. :colorful:

TP8bitPyro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TPPyro
I've played as him in return to dream land I loved him in super star ultra. one thing that bugs me though- and this is just my opinion, is he will have a good move set and not just a simple spear pokes and slashes. and what I mean buy that is if he will be fun to play as?

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I've played as him in return to dream land I loved him in super star ultra. one thing that bugs me though- and this is just my opinion, is he will have a good move set and not just a simple spear pokes and slashes. and what I mean buy that is if he will be fun to play as?
There are movesets in the OP. One of them made by me.

TP8bitPyro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TPPyro
There are movesets in the OP. One of them made by me.
I saw them but still they still feel a bit dull to me no offence but if sakurai is working on it he blew away my expectations for move sets right out of the water. so I trust him

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
From the looks of everything on this page, Bandana Dee seems pretty damn likely now. They could have easily used Meta Knight or different colored Kirby's. But they used Bandana Dee. I think we have a new main cast member of Kirby here.

TP8bitPyro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TPPyro
we got like 4 months ya? so I guess he may come up as either an announcement or hidden or what chadelure said smash bros 5 xD which is wayyyyyyyy too early to be talked about.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration

I didn't even notice the alternate color Dee's. Maybe Bandana Dee found the Four Spear.

On an unrelated note, the demo roster really bugs me. Mostly because of how Greninja is before Pikachu.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
How would you guys feel if Bandana Dee was released as DLC in the summer of 2015?

I would be bummed to have to wait that long, but at least we will get to play as him.

Maikou

Smash Ace

Guys, if all these characters truly end up in the real, final roster (Though I won't be taking a liking to the "chorus men", however I will not rage if they are in as well as all the others on this roster), We shall delete our mini-discussion relating to my dislike for Pac-Man and celebrate ourselves to a grand victory and FINALLY BE DONE WITH RIDLEY AND K.ROOL DISCUSSIONS! Seriously, if this ends up the real roster I'll take back every single negative word I've said about certain characters. Like, seriously, this is THE ideal roster; heck, I won't care about Anthony Higgs or the other characters, they can wait for SSB5! I might be a little annoyed with K.Rool and the annoying Ridley fans getting their way, but just so long as this is the real roster, I'll just be happy.

PLEASE LET THIS BE WHAT THE REAL ROSTER ENDS UP!
(Just so everyone knows, I'm talking only about the characters and not the way they are aligned or anything else: Honestly, as long as we get the most ideal characters, what does it matter how they're arranged?)

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Guys, if all these characters truly end up in the real, final roster (Though I won't be taking a liking to the "chorus men", however I will not rage if they are in as well as all the others on this roster), We shall delete our mini-discussion relating to my dislike for Pac-Man and celebrate ourselves to a grand victory and FINALLY BE DONE WITH RIDLEY AND K.ROOL DISCUSSIONS! Seriously, if this ends up the real roster I'll take back every single negative word I've said about certain characters. Like, seriously, this is THE ideal roster; heck, I won't care about Anthony Higgs or the other characters, they can wait for SSB5! I might be a little annoyed with K.Rool and the annoying Ridley fans getting their way, but just so long as this is the real roster, I'll just be happy.

PLEASE LET THIS BE WHAT THE REAL ROSTER ENDS UP!
(Just so everyone knows, I'm talking only about the characters and not the way they are aligned or anything else: Honestly, as long as we get the most ideal characters, what does it matter how they're arranged?)
No one cares bro. If you stop talking about it, we won't talk about it.

I'm just very interested in Bandana Dee's roll (heh) in Kirby's Rainbow Curse.

Top Bottom