• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Bandanna Dee is just adorable in general. I love how cute he is. *huggles* I love Kirby too though, very cute too. Kirby has a lot of adorable characters when I think about it.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't be surprised. Kirby is pretty interesting in general. The gameplay is fun, the music is good, the story is interesting, and just all in all I rarely have any faults. If I do, it's usually something like 'Bring back Mirror' or some such.

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
Ah, yes... the work of Dynamo Koi-Koi, formally Dedede-Daimyo. The "God of Art" of Kirby's Rainbow Resort.

One of the best Kirby artists out their, and one of the series' best fans, period. One does not make 100 inch long pictures, or over a hundred sculptures, without true dedication to a fandom.

*Sigh* Am I the only one who knows about KRR? It's sad to see such a fan site go...

By the way, yes, Whip Dedede is a reference to an officially licensed Kirby Magna. I'm searching for the panels as you read...
i used to be a member of Kirby Rainbow resort.

Thing is now we hide in the stars

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I was part of Rainbow Resort as well. Not very active on there back then though sadly.

Maikou

Smash Ace
I wouldn't be surprised. Kirby is pretty interesting in general. The gameplay is fun, the music is good, the story is interesting, and just all in all I rarely have any faults. If I do, it's usually something like 'Bring back Mirror' or some such.
Yeah. My only complaint about Kirby these days is the lack of certain abilities or moves/attacks certain abilities had. I miss when Cutter could actually be useful and not just be a boomerang attack that fails against even a mid-boss.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Cutter was really useful in Superstar I found. If you don't catch the cutter it's possible to make it fly across the screen, which meant that it can hit anything on the screen. Because bosses are so much bigger, it hits them most of the time, while making it so you're far away from enemy hits. It also allows you to avoid the startup some if you do it while jumping, meaning you can get three cutters out there, all of them likely to hit most enemies. Pain to do it with Marx though, teleports too much.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Cutter was really useful in Superstar I found. If you don't catch the cutter it's possible to make it fly across the screen, which meant that it can hit anything on the screen. Because bosses are so much bigger, it hits them most of the time, while making it so you're far away from enemy hits. It also allows you to avoid the startup some if you do it while jumping, meaning you can get three cutters out there, all of them likely to hit most enemies. Pain to do it with Marx though, teleports too much.
...That's the problem. Super, Ultra, and Return to Dreamland are the ONLY games where Cutter has more uses than being a boomerang and I honestly don't like staying far away from a boss and just spamming inf. range moves. Kirby games can be as tough as you want them to be, I feel, and I like a challenging Kirby fight with a simple and fun power. I don't spam Spark like most noobs though. in fact I kinda hate Spark for it's lack of moves. same applies to Plasma. You think Marx spams teleports? look at Dark Mind. Great Arceus that guy's a pain.

besides that I wish they'd bring back Yo-yo.it was such a fun and cool power! not to mention how awesome it is to kill stuff with a child's plaything XD, plus the nod to Earthbound/Mother is a nice touch (at first glance it kinda looks like Kirby's wearing the cap sideways like Ness, and the Yo-yo looks like the Friend's Yo-yo, AKA Ness' Yo-yo). I wonder if they'd make a Baseball power. Kirby batters the enemy with a Baseball bat and wear's Ness' sideways baseball cap! that'd be awesome XD

I wonder if the Wheelie Bike will ever return as a helper. it's fun to zip across the screen running things over without needing the wheel power.

Speaking of range moves, is anyone else excited for the Archer power Kirby's getting? I certainly am.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I didn't have a Helper Arena in The Amazing Mirror, so I didn't try Cutter out on Dark Mind. :p And Cutter... well, is a ranged move. As a general rule, it's other abilities are pretty risky to use on bosses, so you don't want to be up there smacking the enemy. The damage tradeoff doesn't seem worth it. And there getting better with Cutter, but it's one of those abilities that is really popular, but back from when they typically were one ability per power, so all Cutter had to do was throw boomerangs. Doesn't help Ninja can do that somewhat, and has a ton of other neat things. I'm not really sure what would help differentiate Cutter more.

Yo-Yo would be fun, but the biggest loss for me was Mirror. It has so much potential, a ridiculous amount of potential, but it's only appeared in one game. I like that they combined Spark/Plasma as an unrelated subject. They have a ton of abilities, but I think them combining stuff and making more robust abilities is good.

And Archer is nice, though I miss Cupid. I liked being able to kind of hover/gently fall. It was really unique, no other ability had it. I wouldn't mind if they gave that kind of trick to Wing though, make it more useful.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
There's a lot of abilities that werent in multiple games that I like.
Though, trying to do all abilities during the Arena in Kirby Superstar, I found Cutter to be the hardest of them all (especially on the cannon boss to my surprise. That hand gets rediculously fast near the end). This is because of he's absolutely horrible in dealing damage, allowing for you to make more time to make mistakes, because it almost takes twice as long to kill bosses with cutter.
Only ability that was harder was Suplex on Meta Knight. Since I didn't have the patience to memorize what all his attacks look like (and even then I'm not sure I have less than a half second reaction time to react to his movements), meaning I wouldn't be able to grab anything, so I had to pinpoint kick him. Problem is, he jumps into you really fast if you try to do that. Every other boss was basicly a faceroll with Suplex because you can just kill everything in a couple hits because his grabs are nuts. Any boss you couldn't grab (like Heavy Lobster) are pretty easy to pinpoint kick anyways.

I will say though, Cutter was my go-to ability when I played Kirby's Adventure as a kid (sometimes swapping to laser if I wanted something more awesome, does the same thing but with longer range, but required better timing since you cant have 3 of them protecting you).

Mirror was basicly easy mode in Superstar. That nearly invincible reflective block (computer virus boss is a joke with mirror), with very safe ranged attack options. On top of that it looked like a cool ability, so I kinda used it when I wanted to just derp around on superstar.

I am surprised Yo-yo didn't make a return considering it's usually a lot of people's favorite ability. I kinda like Ball to return as well. It's like a higher risk, higher reward form of High Jump, and they could do some other things with it (maybe immitate Samus's boost ball for a horizontal attack perhaps?). Call me biased, but I'd like to see the Smash ability to return as well. Perhaps a nerfed version or it though, unless it's going to be a rare ability like hammer. Laser would be awesome, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was removed and only brought back as a part of some other ability. All the new abilities in Return to Dreamland were awesome too and I hope they all stay.
Wing, Jet, Ninja, Fighter, and Parasol are all abilities I'd like to see in the future games as well since they can take a while to get used to.
With that said I think some of the easymode abilities should stay, like Plasma, Hammer, Tornado, Hi-Jump, Mirror, just so people can feel awesome, or beat the game if they weren't able to do so with other abilities.

I'd like for a return of Cupid, but for some reason it was one of the hardest abilities for me to use in Amazing Mirror. Of course maybe that's because I never got much of a chance to get used to using it. Also with the fact that you kinda need abilities to happen instantly in that game because it has some cheap placements. *checks a wiki*. apparently triple deluxe has an ability called archer, I'd like to see that in action, I might be okay with that one, even if it can't fly.

I'll be incredibly surprised if they don't bring spear back.... because... well... you know. :bubblebobble:

Maikou

Smash Ace
There's a lot of abilities that werent in multiple games that I like.
Though, trying to do all abilities during the Arena in Kirby Superstar, I found Cutter to be the hardest of them all (especially on the cannon boss to my surprise. That hand gets rediculously fast near the end). This is because of he's absolutely horrible in dealing damage, allowing for you to make more time to make mistakes, because it almost takes twice as long to kill bosses with cutter.
Only ability that was harder was Suplex on Meta Knight. Since I didn't have the patience to memorize what all his attacks look like (and even then I'm not sure I have less than a half second reaction time to react to his movements), meaning I wouldn't be able to grab anything, so I had to pinpoint kick him. Problem is, he jumps into you really fast if you try to do that. Every other boss was basicly a faceroll with Suplex because you can just kill everything in a couple hits because his grabs are nuts. Any boss you couldn't grab (like Heavy Lobster) are pretty easy to pinpoint kick anyways.

I will say though, Cutter was my go-to ability when I played Kirby's Adventure as a kid (sometimes swapping to laser if I wanted something more awesome, does the same thing but with longer range, but required better timing since you cant have 3 of them protecting you).

Mirror was basicly easy mode in Superstar. That nearly invincible reflective block (computer virus boss is a joke with mirror), with very safe ranged attack options. On top of that it looked like a cool ability, so I kinda used it when I wanted to just derp around on superstar.

I am surprised Yo-yo didn't make a return considering it's usually a lot of people's favorite ability. I kinda like Ball to return as well. It's like a higher risk, higher reward form of High Jump, and they could do some other things with it (maybe immitate Samus's boost ball for a horizontal attack perhaps?). Call me biased, but I'd like to see the Smash ability to return as well. Perhaps a nerfed version or it though, unless it's going to be a rare ability like hammer. Laser would be awesome, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was removed and only brought back as a part of some other ability. All the new abilities in Return to Dreamland were awesome too and I hope they all stay.
Wing, Jet, Ninja, Fighter, and Parasol are all abilities I'd like to see in the future games as well since they can take a while to get used to.
With that said I think some of the easymode abilities should stay, like Plasma, Hammer, Tornado, Hi-Jump, Mirror, just so people can feel awesome, or beat the game if they weren't able to do so with other abilities.

I'd like for a return of Cupid, but for some reason it was one of the hardest abilities for me to use in Amazing Mirror. Of course maybe that's because I never got much of a chance to get used to using it. Also with the fact that you kinda need abilities to happen instantly in that game because it has some cheap placements. *checks a wiki*. apparently triple deluxe has an ability called archer, I'd like to see that in action, I might be okay with that one, even if it can't fly.

I'll be incredibly surprised if they don't bring spear back.... because... well... you know. :bubblebobble:
How is Hi-Jump an easy mode ability? I haven't played Return to Dreamland but I sure as heck know that in Nightmare in Dreamland Hi-Jump SUCKS. Smash is already a rare ability. the only ways I've found to get it in Amazing Mirror is to purposely wander around lost trying to find a Master/Crazy Hand Boss fight or unlock the copy powers room.

Cupid is pretty cool. flight is highly maneuverable and fully chargin' your arrows gives you three shots instead of one, giving you three times the damage used on a close or large foe.

I'd love a Boost Ball strike for Ball form.

Archer might end up one of my favorite abilities. it actually has a close range attack where you attack with an arrow at close range! at first glance it looks like Kirby bashes them iwth his bow, but I noticed an arrow out, so I figure that's what's being used to attack. oh, and Kirby can do a Legalos and shoot three arrows at the same time at an angle. Totally boss :D

Spear is awesome from what I can tell. I hope the moveset for it hasn't changed much between RTD and Triple Deluxe.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
How is Hi-Jump an easy mode ability? I haven't played Return to Dreamland but I sure as heck know that in Nightmare in Dreamland Hi-Jump SUCKS. Smash is already a rare ability. the only ways I've found to get it in Amazing Mirror is to purposely wander around lost trying to find a Master/Crazy Hand Boss fight or unlock the copy powers room.

Cupid is pretty cool. flight is highly maneuverable and fully chargin' your arrows gives you three shots instead of one, giving you three times the damage used on a close or large foe.

I'd love a Boost Ball strike for Ball form.

Archer might end up one of my favorite abilities. it actually has a close range attack where you attack with an arrow at close range! at first glance it looks like Kirby bashes them iwth his bow, but I noticed an arrow out, so I figure that's what's being used to attack. oh, and Kirby can do a Legalos and shoot three arrows at the same time at an angle. Totally boss :D

Spear is awesome from what I can tell. I hope the moveset for it hasn't changed much between RTD and Triple Deluxe.
Archers that hit things with their bow when the occasion occurs earns brownie points in my book.

As for High-Jump. Do you have problems with tornado too? Also, Remember if you fall from a high enough height you will hurt enemies beneath you. Slide kick is incredibly useful if you feel lazy and/or don't feel confident in your timing. High-jump's absurd amount of invincibility frames, and quick trigger are what make it easy. High-jump is a more defensive ability imo, especially since it doesn't do as much damage as some other abilities. I'm tempted to whip out nightmare in dreamland, and compare it to Kirby's adventure, because some abilities were changed more than others. I think Hi-Jump was easier than the Kirby's Adventure's counterpart (the one I grew up with), so going to nightmare in dreamland's version was a breeze.
.... Makes me want to start taking notes on how much damage and all that for changes between kirby games. I think Tornado got a big fat nerf if I remember right. Lower damage, and it doesn't have frames showing you that you are coming out of the tornado, and it stops abruptly so you have to really memorize the timing.

I haven't played it yet, but from the many playthroughs of people doing the arena and such, High Jump is one of those easy mode abilities. However, in Return to Dreamland you can Hi-Jump back downwards, removing one of it's main weaknesses of not being able to get back to the ground in time. I've only seen people do better with Plasma+Tornado. Plasma because they just stay in the corner and shoot (many bosses do not have many corner attacks in RtD it seems). Tornado because of the absurd amount of invincibility frames, and being able to end it early (I've even seen terrible players do well with tornado in the arena, it's funny, especially if the "good" players start doing worse).

Maikou

Smash Ace
Archers that hit things with their bow when the occasion occurs earns brownie points in my book.

As for High-Jump. Do you have problems with tornado too? Also, Remember if you fall from a high enough height you will hurt enemies beneath you. Slide kick is incredibly useful if you feel lazy and/or don't feel confident in your timing. High-jump's absurd amount of invincibility frames, and quick trigger are what make it easy. High-jump is a more defensive ability imo, especially since it doesn't do as much damage as some other abilities. I'm tempted to whip out nightmare in dreamland, and compare it to Kirby's adventure, because some abilities were changed more than others. I think Hi-Jump was easier than the Kirby's Adventure's counterpart (the one I grew up with), so going to nightmare in dreamland's version was a breeze.
.... Makes me want to start taking notes on how much damage and all that for changes between kirby games. I think Tornado got a big fat nerf if I remember right. Lower damage, and it doesn't have frames showing you that you are coming out of the tornado, and it stops abruptly so you have to really memorize the timing.

I haven't played it yet, but from the many playthroughs of people doing the arena and such, High Jump is one of those easy mode abilities. However, in Return to Dreamland you can Hi-Jump back downwards, removing one of it's main weaknesses of not being able to get back to the ground in time. I've only seen people do better with Plasma+Tornado. Plasma because they just stay in the corner and shoot (many bosses do not have many corner attacks in RtD it seems). Tornado because of the absurd amount of invincibility frames, and being able to end it early (I've even seen terrible players do well with tornado in the arena, it's funny, especially if the "good" players start doing worse).
any Archer who is willing to run up to something and kill it with their bow or just their arrow without being shot is a boss in my book. and Legalos effing stabs an Orukai (I think that's how it's spelled....maybe...) with an arrow when it gets too close and then just carries on shooting XD

I don't like Tornado because I don't like how I can't destroy the environment with it. while invincibility frames are nice, I prefer Wheel cuz it's faster, I can jump, and I blast through things and can only get hurt when I turn around abrubtly, stop spinnin', or hit a wall and stop spinnin'. thing with me is that I need offense with my powers. and looking cool. sadly the Hi-Jump power doesn't fit that first criteria. Ninja and Suplex are my favorites in Super Star Ultra. Suplex lets me toss stuff around and jump on enemies, and Ninja lets me be a Ninja, which is AWESOME!

Plasma, in my opinion, is for cheaters. I'll take Yo-Yo, or even Super Star's Fighter Kirby (which in my opinon sucks) over Plasma/Spark.

I know about Kirby's Epic Dive attack. it's not that hard to do honestly. jump from two feet in the air, release, and fall until you hit the enemy. I prefer face-kicking better though. (it's more effective than Palutena gives it credit for)

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Not being able to destroy the blocks around places is a small price to pay, especially when you have the slide kick for destroying them on the ground pretty fast.
Wheel is a strange beast. It either kills everything in it's path, or you'll be wishing you had another ability because the area doesn't have enough space for you to use it.

I was going to do some nearly perfect runs (but not TAS) with most of the abilities in Kirby games. I like to see people do Kirby games well, but seeing someone do a TAS bugs me sometimes. I only got around to doing a couple practice runs with wheel in Kirby's Adventure, so here's 2 runs I did. I picked wheel first because I figured that Wheel is mostly memorization, since Boss fights are generally easy. Except for the 5th boss, which is a nightmare to fight with wheel, because once you touch the ground with wheel, you're playing a game of chance, with a very high risk of being unable to transform back into normal kirby. Also, if you want to hit the boss without risking going behind him, you'll have to untransform which requires you to untransform when you hit him, which is like 3 frames, so you have to time it almost exactly the right time. Fighting the 5th boss with Wheel is probably the hardest thing to do in a Kirby game, at least from what I've tried. I haven't tried using stone kirby on him yet though, but I feel it'll be easier since you can probably untransform easily, or at least do it while he moves right enough for you to untransform. Stone also does crazy damage, whereas wheel does the least amount of damage of any ability.
Kirby's Adventure wheel is more fun than Nightmare in Dreamland's wheel because you can't gain height by hitting the wall and using wheel again, so you don't have to break the flow all the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSFxQnG6o6M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVN-fDLRENY
I had these under private because I wanted to redo it at somepoint but never got around to it.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hey, Waddle Dee fans! I'm working on a project that you might have heard of called Project: Thank You Sakurai! (If you haven't heard of it, you should check it out.) and I'm currently doing a poll to determine which characters should be on the virtual card that we're making for him. I would appreciate it if you guys would check it out here and vote for who you like. There's a whole Kirby series section (which includes Bandana Dee) that needs some more votes. I'd really really be grateful to see you guys voting on that at the very least. Thanks ahead of time :D

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Voted, though I kind of wish I could have given more comments.
Head over to the thread if you want to discuss more about it! (If there was a character that you feel should have been included, I can set up another poll for it. If it's something you need to talk to me specifically about, then send me a conversation.)

Maikou

Smash Ace
Not being able to destroy the blocks around places is a small price to pay, especially when you have the slide kick for destroying them on the ground pretty fast.
Wheel is a strange beast. It either kills everything in it's path, or you'll be wishing you had another ability because the area doesn't have enough space for you to use it.

I was going to do some nearly perfect runs (but not TAS) with most of the abilities in Kirby games. I like to see people do Kirby games well, but seeing someone do a TAS bugs me sometimes. I only got around to doing a couple practice runs with wheel in Kirby's Adventure, so here's 2 runs I did. I picked wheel first because I figured that Wheel is mostly memorization, since Boss fights are generally easy. Except for the 5th boss, which is a nightmare to fight with wheel, because once you touch the ground with wheel, you're playing a game of chance, with a very high risk of being unable to transform back into normal kirby. Also, if you want to hit the boss without risking going behind him, you'll have to untransform which requires you to untransform when you hit him, which is like 3 frames, so you have to time it almost exactly the right time. Fighting the 5th boss with Wheel is probably the hardest thing to do in a Kirby game, at least from what I've tried. I haven't tried using stone kirby on him yet though, but I feel it'll be easier since you can probably untransform easily, or at least do it while he moves right enough for you to untransform. Stone also does crazy damage, whereas wheel does the least amount of damage of any ability.
Kirby's Adventure wheel is more fun than Nightmare in Dreamland's wheel because you can't gain height by hitting the wall and using wheel again, so you don't have to break the flow all the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSFxQnG6o6M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVN-fDLRENY
I had these under private because I wanted to redo it at somepoint but never got around to it.
Stone is the weakest ability to me. I mean sure, it's nice being invincible and all, but I hardly find the time to float over the guy and drop on him like a Meteor. Wheel OHKOs most weak foes, and you can't do that with most powers. Sword only chops off a little HP, and Fighter needs you to get close. Tornado just doesn't feel strong to me. I can't feel like I'm damaging the foe. plus in order to fly upwards I have to constantly tap left-right-left-right over and over while pressing B. I prefer Wheel because I can use it strategically. all it needs is timing: zip to one side, turn when near it, zip back around, turn when near wall, rinse and repeat. it's easy once you get used to timing it.

personally, I prefer the Slide Kick when I can't find a power. Normal Kirby is the weakest ability. Slide Kick doesn't even make a boss twitch. period. Unless you're in Sword or Fighter form in which case it does some slight damage. I don't do speedruns, mostly cuz I suck at them.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Sword is a funny thing. In Kirby's Adventure it was one of the hardest/useless abilities due to it's ridiculously short range in midair, and slow attacks on the ground (Nightmare in Dreamland made the midair attack a bit better though). Superstar it's just a decent ability, hard to rack up damage, but it was a rather safe move as it has nice range and knocks you back when you are in the air, allowing for massive burst damage (like 32 damage in the air if I remember right) . Return to Dreamland it seems to be one of the better abilities.

Stone is a situational ability. Massive damage, and absurdly safe. Just takes a while for a bunch of bosses. With the exclusion of a few where it absolutely destroys them. In Kirby's adventure however It's easy to kill enemies fast since they get out of the way, I think Nightmare in Dreamland it would be a little harder since bosses and Kirby are much larger. Stone is basicly an ability for cheesing enemy bosses by rewarding those who are patient (though if you know the game in and out, Stone can kill bosses ridiculously fast).
When it comes to tornado. It's more about abusing the invincibility frames than killing. If you're dieing with Tornado or Stone, there's something wrong.

Fighter requires you to get close? What are you talking about? Just use the heavy/kick punch from afar, It does nice burst damage, making it safe and reliable for attacking. Even when fighting normal enemies, just doing the dash attack will never be a dangerous move to attack with, and if you don't want to do a dash attack, just jump in the air for a second. Fighter is a more reliable projectile ability than Cutter (only thing cutter excedes in is making a barrier of cutters to stop multiple weak attacks in Superstar)
Fighter in RtD is able to abuse invincibility frames from using the uppercut + down kick. I've seen plenty of bad players do well by doing that.
Unless you're talking about the Amazing Mirror version, and I remember that one not being all that great compared to it's other versions. I would have to play it again.

Slide kick is not meant for bosses. It's just meant for hitting small enemies on the ground when you are too lazy/bad at timing the high jump. Bosses, aerial enemies can easily be killed by Hi-Jump.

I don't really do speedruns.... At least for now. When I'm not distracted by playing Firefall, or Mechwarrior Online, or Smash, I'll probably get back to the Kirby series again. Forcing yourself to use only one ability, instead of swapping to whatever ability on the fly makes you view the abilities differently. Wheel is just about always placed in an area with a long runway, or for some place to unlock something. Trying to use wheel in areas that are not designed for wheel can be a pain. Of course it depends on what game you are playing, as level design is a big thing. If I remember right, Amazing Mirror almost doesn't have any places for Wheel to go without crashing into a wall after a second of using it.

I really want to get Return to Dreamland. I really want to try out the Spear ability, I haven't seen a good player use him yet. I'm curious about it because it doesn't have many attacks with invincibility frames like hammer or sword as well.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
What would your reaction be if Bandana Dee got into smash, but did not use his spear? Instead he used the parasol? Do you think it's something Sakurai would do?
not really, sakurai never goes far from a characters traits, it'll be odd, even for him to do something like that, he prefers to keep the characters as close as they can be in their original game/games,

Keeshu

Smash Ace
not really, sakurai never goes far from a characters traits, it'll be odd, even for him to do something like that, he prefers to keep the characters as close as they can be in their original game/games,
Waddle Dee without his spear would be like Marth without Falchion!
But here's the thing. What if Sakurai views that Waddle Dee that tends to do special stuff before we got Bandana Dee to be the same? Then just wanted to use the parasol to reference Bandana Dee v0.5?

D

Deleted member

What would your reaction be if Bandana Dee got into smash, but did not use his spear? Instead he used the parasol? Do you think it's something Sakurai would do?
I don't think Sakurai would do that, especially when Bandana Dee is most prominent with the spear. At most, the umbrella would be a special.

As for my reaction… hmm… I dunno. Maybe disappointed, but at least excited since he got in.

SmashBoar

Smash Ace
NNID
GuardianOfZone3
I'd be fine with it, he's my most wanted newcomer by far, even if his moveset doesn't comprise of his spear-wielding skills, I'll still be incredibly happy if he got in

Maikou

Smash Ace
Sword is a funny thing. In Kirby's Adventure it was one of the hardest/useless abilities due to it's ridiculously short range in midair, and slow attacks on the ground (Nightmare in Dreamland made the midair attack a bit better though). Superstar it's just a decent ability, hard to rack up damage, but it was a rather safe move as it has nice range and knocks you back when you are in the air, allowing for massive burst damage (like 32 damage in the air if I remember right) . Return to Dreamland it seems to be one of the better abilities.

Stone is a situational ability. Massive damage, and absurdly safe. Just takes a while for a bunch of bosses. With the exclusion of a few where it absolutely destroys them. In Kirby's adventure however It's easy to kill enemies fast since they get out of the way, I think Nightmare in Dreamland it would be a little harder since bosses and Kirby are much larger. Stone is basicly an ability for cheesing enemy bosses by rewarding those who are patient (though if you know the game in and out, Stone can kill bosses ridiculously fast).
When it comes to tornado. It's more about abusing the invincibility frames than killing. If you're dieing with Tornado or Stone, there's something wrong.

Fighter requires you to get close? What are you talking about? Just use the heavy/kick punch from afar, It does nice burst damage, making it safe and reliable for attacking. Even when fighting normal enemies, just doing the dash attack will never be a dangerous move to attack with, and if you don't want to do a dash attack, just jump in the air for a second. Fighter is a more reliable projectile ability than Cutter (only thing cutter excedes in is making a barrier of cutters to stop multiple weak attacks in Superstar)
Fighter in RtD is able to abuse invincibility frames from using the uppercut + down kick. I've seen plenty of bad players do well by doing that.
Unless you're talking about the Amazing Mirror version, and I remember that one not being all that great compared to it's other versions. I would have to play it again.

Slide kick is not meant for bosses. It's just meant for hitting small enemies on the ground when you are too lazy/bad at timing the high jump. Bosses, aerial enemies can easily be killed by Hi-Jump.

I don't really do speedruns.... At least for now. When I'm not distracted by playing Firefall, or Mechwarrior Online, or Smash, I'll probably get back to the Kirby series again. Forcing yourself to use only one ability, instead of swapping to whatever ability on the fly makes you view the abilities differently. Wheel is just about always placed in an area with a long runway, or for some place to unlock something. Trying to use wheel in areas that are not designed for wheel can be a pain. Of course it depends on what game you are playing, as level design is a big thing. If I remember right, Amazing Mirror almost doesn't have any places for Wheel to go without crashing into a wall after a second of using it.

I really want to get Return to Dreamland. I really want to try out the Spear ability, I haven't seen a good player use him yet. I'm curious about it because it doesn't have many attacks with invincibility frames like hammer or sword as well.
I'm mostly refering to Amazing Mirror. when I think "Fighter" , with "red headband" I tend to think of close combat situations. you know, punching and kicking? I've played Super Star Ultra, but I don't like Fighter there. I prefer the Amazing Mirror/Squeak Squad one because it feels more natural to me. plus, who doesn't love Kamehameha-ing stuff in Kirby? (or Houduken, whichever you prefer) and I prefer to be able to charge my attack rather than needing to press the button for an extra milisecond. it feels slower and less exciting/powerful to me.

Stone is good for invincibility, but that's honestly about it that comes to mind when I think about the stone power. it's less, "I die" with Stone/Tornado, and more, "I can't fight with them", if that makes sense.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I will admit I'm a little surprised Meta Knight hasn't been announced yet. I wonder if they are giving him a rework to his moveset. If that's the case, do you think it hurts Dee's chances? Do you think they might just do a double kirby character reveal near the release?

Is there anything Chandelure won't give a like to in this thread? :p

CUTENESS FOREVER!
(No stereotyping please)
*Judging*
...... There seems to be a lack of saying "char" in your messages. :bubblebobble:

Maikou

Smash Ace
I will admit I'm a little surprised Meta Knight hasn't been announced yet. I wonder if they are giving him a rework to his moveset. If that's the case, do you think it hurts Dee's chances? Do you think they might just do a double kirby character reveal near the release?

Is there anything Chandelure won't give a like to in this thread? :p

*Judging*
...... There seems to be a lack of saying "char" in your messages. :bubblebobble:
I don't think there's anything except extreme naysaying about Bandana Dee's chances will ever not get liked by Chandelure, Char. also, fixed char! :p

D

Deleted member

There hasn't really been a good time to announce Meta Knight. Maybe he could get revealed in May for Kirby Triple Deluxe.
Even though he isn't even in that game.

As for a double Kirby reveal… I doubt it. They didn't do that with Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong, so I don't see why they would reveal both Meta Knight and Bandana Dee.

I don't think that Meta Knight not getting revealed yet hurts Bandana Dee's chances. I think that he will take a major blow if he is a part of King Dedede's Waddle Dee Toss.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I think Meta Knight will remain as a secret fighter.
Also, how can I put stuff inside a "spoiler" box.
I don't think Meta Knight will be hidden. That doesn't make sense to me.
To answer your question.
[ collapse ] Spoiler [/ collapse ]
Remove spaces.
Spoiler

Keeshu

Smash Ace
When I saw Meta Knight as a starter in Brawl I thought it was incredibly strange that he was a starter, since he's usually the 6th boss (aka near the end of the game). While being an unlockable character in all Kirby games he was playable in before Brawl. I blame subspace emissary because if people saw his ship, then the surprise would already be lost so they made him a starter.

Do you think Bandana Dee will be unlockable? He seems to have less reason to be unlockable than Meta Knight IMO since he's only been playable in Return to Dreamland so far.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I think it'd be sensible to make Kirby and Dedede available from the start, and have Meta Knight and Waddle Dee as unlockable. It always felt odd to me that all of the Kirby characters were available from the start in Brawl, and like you said, Keeshu, I think it had a lot to do with MK's massive role in the SSE. Now that the SSE is confirmed to not be receiving a sequel, I think it'd be appropriate to relegate MK to unlockable status. After all, it's happened in the past. Captain Falcon and Ness were starters in Melee but had to be unlocked in Brawl.

I think Waddle Dee would be best suited to an unlockable character simply because Meta Knight is a more overall important character to the series, and if he's unlockable, then Waddle Dee should be as well. Additionally, I like the balanced idea of having two Kirby characters as starters and two as hidden characters.

Maikou

Smash Ace
I think it'd be sensible to make Kirby and Dedede available from the start, and have Meta Knight and Waddle Dee as unlockable. It always felt odd to me that all of the Kirby characters were available from the start in Brawl, and like you said, Keeshu, I think it had a lot to do with MK's massive role in the SSE. Now that the SSE is confirmed to not be receiving a sequel, I think it'd be appropriate to relegate MK to unlockable status. After all, it's happened in the past. Captain Falcon and Ness were starters in Melee but had to be unlocked in Brawl.

I think Waddle Dee would be best suited to an unlockable character simply because Meta Knight is a more overall important character to the series, and if he's unlockable, then Waddle Dee should be as well. Additionally, I like the balanced idea of having two Kirby characters as starters and two as hidden characters.
Don't remind me of the damn "no story trollololololo" thing Sakurai's got going on, Char, I'm annoyed with it enough as is. (Subspace Emissary was an awesome story, why the #@%$ not make a sequel?! it could easily NOT be a rehash of a Brawl and/or Melee if it had a story to differentiate itself! it could easily be each character participating in a tournament as Brawl makes it out to be with no evil or anything! ugh! or Kid Icarus Uprising style where everyone tells the story through dialogue while the silent heroes stay silent and stuff! with so few cutscenes! UGH!)

other than that, I agree. it'd make sense for two Kirby characters to be unlockables and for two to be available from the start. Meta Knight could be unlocked by fighting 60 matches as Kirby, and Bandana Dee could be unlocked through an event match, easy and simple! or should Meta Knight be unlocked after 600 matches with Kirby? I think 60 works, but I might be wrong, Char.

Top Bottom