• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

LF2K

Floor Diver
I'm hoping if Waddle Dee makes it into Smash, they'll expand on a few things. Personality, motives, etc...

The only one thing we know about him is he's loyal, especially to Dedede.

D

Deleted member

It was a bit tricky to make a moveset for Bandana Dee; I honestly had an easier time with Shulk. Regardless, I have made a specials moveset. It's definitely not perfect, but I would love to hear some feedback.
Bandana Dee's uniqueness lies within his spear. Without it, he is basically nothing. The spear must be used at a range as the most powerful part of it is at the tip. The tip of the spear will cause maximum damage and knockback, so getting close and personal with your opponent isn't very wise. While his entire moveset revolves around spear attacks, only two of his specials involve the spear.
Neutral Special: Spear Throw

Bandana Dee simply throws his spear at an opponent. Think of the Javelin Throw at the Olympics; the spear will definitely gain a ton of distance, but it may arc over the opponent. It is especially useful for gimping against characters like Luigi and Ness. Before you release the special button, you can angle the spear's arc and direction like Yoshi's Egg Throw. This move can easily be reflected from other reflectors, like Fox's Reflector. Bandana Dee will bring out a new spear when he throws his current one away.

Side Special: Rolling Box

(if it has an official name, I dunno what it is…)
I was conflicted on this one. I wanted to make it something else as I doubt Sakurai will reference Kirby 64 in Bandana Dee's moveset. The alternative was Bandana Dee spinning his spear around and make it act like Pit's old side special, the Angel Ring. But, I decided against it.
Have you played Project M? If so, think of Wario's Shoulder Bash. This attack will send Bandana Dee moving for almost half the distance of Final Destination if you keep tapping the special button. On the ground, you can even jump. If this move connects with someone, they will be overcome by a powerful attack and get fairly launched. Bandana Dee can move even faster with this move if he is on a slope! However, don't use this move to recover. If you do, you will just be sent down like Yoshi's Egg Roll. Colliding with a wall will put Bandana Dee in a helpless state.

Down Special: Megaton Punch

How could I not reference the game where Bandana Dee made his debut?
Bandana Dee will pound the ground with a devastating blow! This blow can easily cause a ton of knockback that will send foes flying! You can mash the special move button for as long as you like, but the attack will reach its maximum after 1 second. The minimum will cover 2 inches past Bandana Dee and have the opponent be slightly launched; this might be ideal if you want to set up a combo. When you reach its maximum, the coverage it has is a quarter of Final Destination and tons of knockback is caused; it's useful in free-for-alls, but risky in 1 vs. 1 battles. You can't use this move in the air.

Up Special: Spear Copter

Yeah, you saw this coming.
On the ground, you can charge it, but it will reach it's maximum in half a second. In the air, it's the same case. Since Bandana Dee cannot puff in the air like Kirby and King Dedede and doesn't have wings like Meta Knight, Bandana Dee has only one double jump. How does he compensate that? With an amazing recovery.
Bandana Dee can easily recover and make it back onto the stage like it's no problem! It's like Pit's Wings of Icarus, except Bandana Dee has protection and coverage thanks to his spear. When using it on the ground, you can move around as you please in the air. Just be careful that Bandana Dee doesn't get hit. He doesn't have any sort of invincibility frames during this move, so edge guarders may be a problem to Bandana Dee; a Fireball from Mario is sure to mess him up.

Final Smash: Spear Barrage

This is the best image I could think of how this Final Smash could work; Pit's Bow Special Attack from KI:U. I bet with Sakurai having KI:U on the mind, he may think of something similar.
Bandana Dee summons numerous spears to come raining down. The spears cause minimum knockback, but so much damage is in the mix. There is the occasional Gordo that comes down from the sky to send opponents to launch into the sky.

So, what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

LF2K

Floor Diver
Pretty interesting ideas! Perhaps other characters could pick up the crate and toss it?

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
It was a bit tricky to make a moveset for Bandana Dee; I honestly had an easier time with Shulk. Regardless, I have made a specials moveset. It's definitely not perfect, but I would love to hear some feedback.
Bandana Dee's uniqueness lies within his spear. Without it, he is basically nothing. The spear must be used at a range as the most powerful part of it is at the tip. The tip of the spear will cause maximum damage and knockback, so getting close and personal with your opponent isn't very wise. While his entire moveset revolves around spear attacks, only two of them involve the spear.

Bandana Dee simply throws his spear at an opponent. Think of the Javelin Throw at the Olympics; the spear will definitely gain a ton of distance, but it may arc over the opponent. It is especially useful for gimping against characters like Luigi and Ness. Before you release the special button, you can angle the spear's arc and direction like Yoshi's Egg Throw. Bandana Dee will bring out a new spear when he throws his current one away.

I was conflicted on this one. I wanted to make it something else as I doubt Sakurai will reference Kirby 64 in Bandana Dee's moveset. The alternative was Bandana Dee spinning his spear around and make it act like Pit's old side special, the Angel Ring. But, I decided against it.
Have you played Project M? If so, think of Wario's Shoulder Bash. This attack will send Bandana Dee moving for almost half the distance of Final Destination if you keep tapping the special button. On the ground, you can even jump. If this move connects with someone, they will be overcome by a powerful attack and get fairly launched. Bandana Dee can move even faster with this move if he is on a slope! However, don't use this move to recover. If you do, you will just be sent down like Yoshi's Egg Roll. Colliding with a wall will put Bandana Dee in a helpless state.

Bandana Dee will pound the ground with a devastating blow! This blow can easily cause a ton of knockback that will send foes flying! You can mash the special move button for as long as you like, but the attack will reach its maximum after 1 second. The minimum will cover 2 inches past Bandana Dee and have the opponent be slightly launched; this might be ideal if you want to set up a combo. When you reach its maximum, the coverage it has is a quarter of Final Destination and tons of knockback is caused; it's useful in free-for-alls, but risky in 1 vs. 1 battles. You can't use this move in the air.

On the ground, you can charge it, but it will reach it's maximum in half a second. In the air, it's the same case. Since Bandana Dee cannot puff in the air like Kirby and King Dedede and doesn't have wings like Meta Knight, Bandana Dee has only one double jump. How does he compensate that? With an amazing recovery.
Bandana Dee can easily recover and make it back onto the stage like it's no problem! It's like Pit's Wings of Icarus, except Bandana Dee has protection and coverage thanks to his spear. When using it on the ground, you can move around as you please in the air. Just be careful that Bandana Dee doesn't get hit. He doesn't have any sort of invincibility frames during this move, so edge guarders may be a problem to Bandana Dee; a Fireball from Mario is sure to mess him up.

This is the best image I could think of how this Final Smash could work; Pit's Bow Special Attack from KI:U. I bet with Sakurai having KI:U on the mind, he may think of something similar.
Bandana Dee summons numerous spears to come raining down. The spears cause minimum knockback, but so much damage is in the mix. There is the occasional Gordo that comes down from the sky to send opponents to launch into the sky.

So, what do you think?
Pretty creative! :D

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Bandana Brigade, I need your help.
What's your favorite? XD , I need to choose one for the "Thank you Sakurai thread", but I can't decide!

Quick pixel art I made for my sig I'm working on
Cool! :)
It looks like the Super Smash Flash sprite.
Do you want this in the OP? I can add it, if you want.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I vote the same as thm. I think we have a definite winner. The Yoshi vs. Bandana Dee is a close second for me tho.

Xarreno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xarreno
3DS FC
1590-4746-0106
Bandana Dee's uniqueness lies within his spear. Without it, he is basically nothing. The spear must be used at a range as the most powerful part of it is at the tip. The tip of the spear will cause maximum damage and knockback, so getting close and personal with your opponent isn't very wise. While his entire moveset revolves around spear attacks, only two of his specials involve the spear.

Bandana Dee simply throws his spear at an opponent. Think of the Javelin Throw at the Olympics; the spear will definitely gain a ton of distance, but it may arc over the opponent. It is especially useful for gimping against characters like Luigi and Ness. Before you release the special button, you can angle the spear's arc and direction like Yoshi's Egg Throw. This move can easily be reflected from other reflectors, like Fox's Reflector. Bandana Dee will bring out a new spear when he throws his current one away.

So, what do you think?
It's actually not bad, when coming up with specials for Bandana Dee there isn't much to go on... except for his other spear attacks. Up and neutral Specials are the choice picks and I think the side special is a really tubular in fact, but allocating Megaton Punch to his down special may be a bit left field (considering he is all spear).

Although, I don't know what to replace it with... Maybe he could through spears like a chainsaw? Spinning across the ground in front of him. It would go farther if charged longer and maybe could go in reverse if a direction was held, idk. In the air... he could through spears straight down as a different option to his D-air (which would be diving downwards with a spear).

ClubbyBear

Smash Journeyman
Bandana Brigade, I need your help.
What's your favorite? XD , I need to choose one for the "Thank you Sakurai thread", but I can't decide!

Cool! :)
It looks like the Super Smash Flash sprite.
Do you want this in the OP? I can add it, if you want.
The pallette is from SSF2, but the rest is edited off of his KSSU sprites; If you do add it, can you add it when it's done? It's still a W.I.P

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I found this information about Triple Deluxe:

Cameos aside, this game's game system feels like it has borrowed a few things from the Super Smash Bros. series:
- Kirby can now dodge roll, air dodge and dodge on the spot. The inputs of these are the same as Smash Bros.
- Abilities get very slight changes to make them more balanced. Sword, Stone and Needle got extra properties, while Beam, Ice, Fire, Spark and Ninja lose certain moves. Spear both lost and gained powers in different parts.
- The collectibles, the key holders, work like trophies. They're seen everywhere, are divided in classes or rarity, and can be bought (with Play Coins in this case).

Well Triple Deluxe is like a Kirby Smash Bros and Bandana Dee appears in it... BANDANA DEE CONFIRMED.
XD

No, but seriously, the Spear gained some "powers", that means more moveset options!

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
I found this information about Triple Deluxe:

Cameos aside, this game's game system feels like it has borrowed a few things from the Super Smash Bros. series:
- Kirby can now dodge roll, air dodge and dodge on the spot. The inputs of these are the same as Smash Bros.
- Abilities get very slight changes to make them more balanced. Sword, Stone and Needle got extra properties, while Beam, Ice, Fire, Spark and Ninja lose certain moves. Spear both lost and gained powers in different parts.
- The collectibles, the key holders, work like trophies. They're seen everywhere, are divided in classes or rarity, and can be bought (with Play Coins in this case).

Well Triple Deluxe is like a Kirby Smash Bros and Bandana Dee appears in it... BANDANA DEE CONFIRMED.
XD

No, but seriously, the Spear gained some "powers", that means more moveset options!
I think KTD is too recent to any of these new moves get implement is Bandana Waddle Dee's moveset.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I think KTD is too recent to any of these new moves get implement is Bandana Waddle Dee's moveset.
Meta Knight never had the shuttle Loop glide before Brawl, and then he had it in Return to Dreamland.... And Return to Dreamland was 3 years later (but in development hell for much much longer). You never know. Besides, Kirby and smash are Sakurai's projects.

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
dunno about that man,

ac new leaf and sonic lost world are both very recent games aswell, yet have their stages and/or representatives.

they might break that pattern this town around, since the game is still in development and games like for example super mario 3d world and kirby triple deluxe were already in development when smash was announced

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Tomorrow is my first college day, so I will not be able to visit Smashboards or support Bandana Dee so frequently :c

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
We got your back! :grin:

By the way, rumors are floating around a Direct might be coming Thursday. The Year of Luigi is winding down, and there's some Nintendo Network maintenance planned this week.

D

Deleted member

Don't worry Chandelure! We'll keep things afloat while you are inactive!
Also, I'm in college as well; I am currently in my second year. College can be rather hard and pressuring, so be prepared for it.

By the way, rumors are floating around a Direct might be coming Thursday. The Year of Luigi is winding down, and there's some Nintendo Network maintenance planned this week.
I wouldn't bet on it. If anything, it would be a regional Nintendo Direct rather than a worldwide Direct.
Even if we do get a Direct, I doubt we would get Bandana Dee; we need Meta Knight before him. If anything, we might get a veteran (like Meta Knight, Yoshi, Wario, …Snake, etc) or a different newcomer (Shulk if there is any X footage or maybe Palutena; timing for her would be good thanks to KI:U getting released this month years ago).

LF2K

Floor Diver
Here's something really cool. What if King Dedede, Meta Knight, and Waddle Dee were like the animal friends? How would they influence Kirby's abilities?

This image is huge, though!

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
Here's something really cool. What if King Dedede, Meta Knight, and Waddle Dee were like the animal friends? How would they influence Kirby's abilities?

that's amazing

i would really love it if they ever did something like that. wouldn't mind seeing the animal buddies back too.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I'm curious to see who drew that. It maybe simple, but it probably took quite a while to draw all that. a few of those are just jokes/references to some things though.
I'd be okay with that idea. King Dedede doing that would be fine, and could be considered a half-callback to Kirby 64. Bandana Dee probably wouldn't be too bad. Meta Knight it's rather awkward though. Though Kirby riding meta knight and vice versa didn't bother me when watching Return to Dreamland videos, but maybe that's because his kirbified design threw me off whenever I'd think about his character.
Personally I'd rather have the animals come back since it's their thing..... Just hopefully not as unbalanced as they were (one of my problems with shinichi shimomura's games in general.). Kirby powers are unbalanced in general, but holy crud having abilities range from being nearly useless, to almost having god mode is too much of a difference imo.

Though, in a perfect world. We'd have both the animals, and allowing MK, DDD, and BD to use abilities to alter their movesets.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
hey mates, been awhile since the last time I've been here,
what I miss?
Tomorrow is my first college day, so I will not be able to visit Smashboards or support Bandana Dee so frequently :c
i'll be joining you to the grave den soon too, (but In a different college, time zone, and country)
but don't worry, as the bandana brigade ranked member number 3, i'll keep this place in good shape

D

Deleted member

what I miss?
Nothing too major.
There haven't been any major developments in Bandana Dee's case; today's Pic of the Day hasn't affected Bandana Dee like it did to Takamaru, Lip, and CR.
With a potential Nintendo Direct next month, things could be interesting for sure if Kirby Triple Deluxe is mentioned.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
what I miss?

i'll be joining you to the grave den soon too, (but In a different college, time zone, and country)
but don't worry, as the bandana brigade ranked member number 3, i'll keep this place in good shape
Don't worry Chan, me and the other Bandana Dee suporters will keep this thread alive.:)
Thanks guys! :D

Sid-cada

Smash Lord

Ah, yes... the work of Dynamo Koi-Koi, formally Dedede-Daimyo. The "God of Art" of Kirby's Rainbow Resort.

One of the best Kirby artists out their, and one of the series' best fans, period. One does not make 100 inch long pictures, or over a hundred sculptures, without true dedication to a fandom.

*Sigh* Am I the only one who knows about KRR? It's sad to see such a fan site go...

By the way, yes, Whip Dedede is a reference to an officially licensed Kirby Magna. I'm searching for the panels as you read...

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Oh my gosh, I love Bandanna Dee in that list. I wouldn't use anyone else. He's better in almost every version of the abilities. Though poor Bandanna Dee dealing with Kirby in Water Kirby, that's so cruel. He certainly takes the brunt of the abuse.

Top Bottom