• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

CombatScouter

Smash Apprentice
If I'm going to be completely honest with you guys, I don't think Bandana Dee is likely. I mean, he's the most likely of other potential Kirby newcomers sure, but even then I don't see him pop up much on other forums. Hell, when he does I see people laugh and say he's just a generic enemy; they're wrong of course, but that just shows that there are many people who don't think much of him as a character yet.

There's also the fact that many view the three Kirby characters we have now as a complete set, so some believe the series doesn't need or even deserve more reps. Yes there was Rosalina, but she comes from the Mario universe, so I imagine more people would be receptive and understanding of her inclusion over Bandana Dee's. Ultimately it comes down to Sakurai and the development team of course, which could be seen as either good or bad depending on your view of Mr. Sakurai.

Anyway, sorry to be a downer. I still support Bandana Dee, and will most likely continue to do so even in the event that he is excluded this time around. I'll also try to help others understand the character whenever he comes up.

I guess I'll post a funny picture too since Chandelure seems to be finding some good ones:

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
I think the Waddle Dee naysayers fail to see he's become an important character in the games. I mean, to be a playable character alongside the three main characters is a huge deal. To appear with them celebrating the 20th anniversary, that's quite something. And he started out as an extra. HAL chose him to become Dedede's #2!

I think Dee has a solid chance of making it. He's pretty much the most requested Kirby character. And if the Wii Fit Trainer can be playable, just about anyone can!

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
If I'm going to be completely honest with you guys, I don't think Bandana Dee is likely. I mean, he's the most likely of other potential Kirby newcomers sure, but even then I don't see him pop up much on other forums. Hell, when he does I see people laugh and say he's just a generic enemy; they're wrong of course, but that just shows that there are many people who don't think much of him as a character yet.

There's also the fact that many view the three Kirby characters we have now as a complete set, so some believe the series doesn't need or even deserve more reps. Yes there was Rosalina, but she comes from the Mario universe, so I imagine more people would be receptive and understanding of her inclusion over Bandana Dee's. Ultimately it comes down to Sakurai and the development team of course, which could be seen as either good or bad depending on your view of Mr. Sakurai.

Anyway, sorry to be a downer. I still support Bandana Dee, and will most likely continue to do so even in the event that he is excluded this time around. I'll also try to help others understand the character whenever he comes up.

I guess I'll post a funny picture too since Chandelure seems to be finding some good ones:
Don't worry, not all the supporters need to think he is likely.
I want to know the opinions of all the supporters.
And I don't know, all that things you said are true, but something that makes me more confident about Bandana Dee's chances is that the roster was probably finalized during the same time Kirby's Return to Dreamland was recent and popular.
And also, Why Bandana Dee was chosen? Why not just the 4 Kirbys instead of 4 different characters, or just 3 characters? or a classic character like Gooey or Adeleine?, Bandana Dee was chosen for a reason, and I'm pretty sure Sakurai knows the reason and he thought he was a good addition, and I know he is not the developer of the Kirby games now, but he is the original creator, so I think that, at least, he is aware of the decisions and everything about the Kirby franchise.
And well, there is also the fact that Bandana Dee is a pretty popular character in Japan.

I just can't think he is unlikely, maybe is because he is my most wanted newcomer.

Oh, and I can't see the picture XD

Last edited:

CombatScouter

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry, not all the supporters need to think he is likely.
I want to know the opinions of all the supporters.
And I don't know, all that things you said are true, but something that makes me more confident about Bandana Dee's chances is that the roster was probably finalized during the same time Kirby's Return to Dreamland was recent and popular.
And also, Why Bandana Dee was chosen? Why not just the 4 Kirbys instead of 4 different characters, or just 3 characters? or a classic character like Gooey or Adeleine?, Bandana Dee was chosen for a reason, and I'm pretty sure Sakurai knows the reason and he thought he was a good addition, and I know he is not the developer of the Kirby games now, but he is the original creator, so I think that, at least, he is aware of the decisions and everything about the Kirby franchise.
And well, there is also the fact that Bandana Dee is a pretty popular character in Japan.

I just can't think he is unlikely, maybe is because he is my most wanted newcomer.
Haha, I can respect that. I'm sure Sakurai does keep a close eye on the Kirby series even today, as it is his baby after all. Maybe he'll see something special in Bandana Dee and make him really shine.

I'll have to take your word on the popularity in Japan thing, as I don't know much about that.
Oh, and I can't see the picture XD
But that only happens to other people, not me! Hope it works now. >.<

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Haha, I can respect that. I'm sure Sakurai does keep a close eye on the Kirby series even today, as it is his baby after all. Maybe he'll see something special in Bandana Dee and make him really shine.

I'll have to take your word on the popularity in Japan thing, as I don't know much about that.

But that only happens to other people, not me! Hope it works now. >.<
I found a thread about the popularity in Japan.
Here is the link: http://smashboards.com/threads/obse...es-desires-for-smash-4-by-chronobound.338160/
And well, in Japan the Kirby's popularity in general is huge, just look at the Japanese Miiverse, it is like 60% Kirby, 20% FE, 15% Mother and 5% others XD

And yeah, I can see the picture now XDD

Last edited:

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
What I do know is that he continues to be used, even when he doesn't have an actual 4th player spot to be needed for. We saw him yet again in Triple Deluxe during the Direct. That little guy is still very much in the gaming eye.

CombatScouter

Smash Apprentice
I found a thread about the popularity in Japan.
Here is the link: http://smashboards.com/threads/obse...es-desires-for-smash-4-by-chronobound.338160/
And well, in Japan the Kirby's popularity in general is huge, just look at the Japanese Miiverse, it is like 60% Kirby, 20% FE, 15% Mother and 5% others XD

And yeah, I can see the picture now XDD
Well what do ya know. Pretty sweet.

I've been on the Japanese Miiverse and yeah there was quite a lot of Kirby stuff. I wish some of that Kirby love would spread around a bit more though.

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice

It even has a little "spear" :3
XD
i have this plush too! been thinking about giving him a blue bandana for a while now.

i fully support this character. i don't give a single thing about people saying ''kirby doesn't need a fourth character'' or even worse ''deserve a fourth character''. infact he may not need a fourth character, but he certainly deserves one!

i mean back in the day of smash 64, dedede would have been playable, and meta knight should have been added during melee. and kirby has been trough a lot of **** since melee with kirby GCN being delayed and canceled over and over again. then came kirby canvas curse, which really was one of the most early outstanding ds games, and might have saved the system from a slow start. with kirby super star ultra, a kirby official universe began to grow and almost every game that followed took this direction. with an exception of kirby's epic yarn of course; but it's because of kirby this game made of yarn was released in the first place. kirby saved the project. and a year later, finally kirby gcn now known as return to dreamland followed. both yarn en return to dreamland were well received and sold well.

kirby has grown so much over the years, you might say he's almost as big as the likes of animal crossing and the spin off mario series like yoshi and sports. he's bigger than metroid for sure now.

and that's why kirby does deserve a fourth character and it should be bandana waddle dee, as he's a great representation of what the kirby franchise has accomplished over the years. and even besides that, he brings something new to the table, and his move set in return to dreamland seems like it was made for smash bros. and let's face it; after kirby, king dedede and meta knight, this special waddle dee is the most important and recognizable character in the kirby universe.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
i have this plush too! been thinking about giving him a blue bandana for a while now.

i fully support this character. i don't give a single thing about people saying ''kirby doesn't need a fourth character'' or even worse ''deserve a fourth character''. infact he may not need a fourth character, but he certainly deserves one!

i mean back in the day of smash 64, dedede would have been playable, and meta knight should have been added during melee. and kirby has been trough a lot of **** since melee with kirby GCN being delayed and canceled over and over again. then came kirby canvas curse, which really was one of the most early outstanding ds games, and might have saved the system from a slow start. with kirby super star ultra, a kirby official universe began to grow and almost every game that followed took this direction. with an exception of kirby's epic yarn of course; but it's because of kirby this game made of yarn was released in the first place. kirby saved the project. and a year later, finally kirby gcn now known as return to dreamland followed. both yarn en return to dreamland were well received and sold well.

kirby has grown so much over the years, you might say he's almost as big as the likes of animal crossing and the spin off mario series like yoshi and sports. he's bigger than metroid for sure now.

and that's why kirby does deserve a fourth character and it should be bandana waddle dee, as he's a great representation of what the kirby franchise has accomplished over the years. and even besides that, he brings something new to the table, and his move set in return to dreamland seems like it was made for smash bros. and let's face it; after kirby, king dedede and meta knight, this special waddle dee is the most important and recognizable character in the kirby universe.
Thanks for your support!
And don't worry, all of us think Kirby deserves another character and it obviously needs to be Bandana Dee :)

LF2K

Floor Diver
Some people against him are saying if Waddle Dee is playable, then a Goomba should be playable too. But the Waddle Dee we support is just more than your common enemy. He directly serves the King!

I've also realized there is an important Goomba. Ironically, he also wears blue on his head.

(But it's Paper Mario, so it's non-canon to the main Mario games! :smirk:)

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Some people against him are saying if Waddle Dee is playable, then a Goomba should be playable too. But the Waddle Dee we support is just more than your common enemy. He directly serves the King!

I've also realized there is an important Goomba. Ironically, he also wears blue on his head.

And he appeared in one game only, is not popular and doesn't have moveset potential :smirk:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Could I be added as a supporter for little Bandana Dee, please? I just love the little guy! He's come off as cute and charming to me, and he seems like the most likely 4th Kirby rep. (Until now, I would probably say someone like, Knuckle Joe, or something like that, but I'm starting to have my doubts that anyone other than him will be playable.) Bandana Dee or bust for me!

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Could I be added as a supporter for little Bandana Dee, please? I just love the little guy! He's come off as cute and charming to me, and he seems like the most likely 4th Kirby rep. (Until now, I would probably say someone like, Knuckle Joe, or something like that, but I'm starting to have my doubts that anyone other than him will be playable.) Bandana Dee or bust for me!
Welcome to Smashboards!
I'm the owner of the Bandana Dee thread.
If you want to appear a a supporter of Bandana Dee, you have to vote "YES" in the poll.
If you want to know who are the other supporters, click the number of votes.
Thanks for your support!

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

Maybe the "main" Super Mario games are non-canon to the Paper Mario games!

CONSPIRACY TIME!!!

And he appeared in one game only, is not popular and doesn't have moveset potential :smirk:
If you believe in yourself, and have a little pinch of magic, anyone can have a moveset!
Even the computer/other electronic device right in front of you! It can have it's very own moveset if you believe!

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
If you believe in yourself, and have a little pinch of magic, anyone can have a moveset!
Even the computer/other electronic device right in front of you! It can have it's very own moveset if you believe!
I know, if just that some characters have more moveset potential than others.

D

Deleted member

Here's a quick question.
If Bandana Dee was playable in SSB4, would you main him?

EDIT: I might. Depends on his play style. I don't want to main too many characters. I'm already gonna main Luigi since he is my favorite character.

Last edited by a moderator:

LF2K

Floor Diver
I'm not certain at this point. We've got Little Mac, Villager, and Mega Man. So many awesome additions, it might be hard to pick just one.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
It depends on how he plays. I already know that I will be playing Bowser and Mega Man, but I don't know who I will main. He will definitely be a secondary if he isn't a main.

D

Deleted member

I just checked the Japanese side of Miiverse and I consistently found fan art for Kirby (other misc. drawings I found were of Mother/EarthBound characters, Pokemon, and fan art of Little Mac). The Kirby series is definitely more popular over in Japan than it is in America, which would probably explain why Bandana Dee is such a popular request over there while he is dismissed here.

EDIT: I also received a comment from a Japanese user when I posted in the Japanese Miiverse Smash community. Bandana Dee sure does have his share of supporters there.
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAABnUYnk3Lw6jA
I'm rather surprised to not find any pictures of Shulk, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, and Black Shadow. I've seen Palutena a couple of times; Pit came up often.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Here's a quick question.
If Bandana Dee was playable in SSB4, would you main him?

EDIT: I might. Depends on his play style. I don't want to main too many characters. I'm already gonna main Luigi since he is my favorite character.

Depends on how he's added in the game. I usually have a main in any game based off the following:
#1 Gameplay
#2 Visuals and/or personality
#3 How memetic/taunt spammy/etc for those times for talking about it and waiting for action to happen. (not too much/too little. I like to press the taunt button/whatever too much when I'm waiting)

I may have to change my brawl main icon soon since I've had a chance to play brawl for a couple weeks. Meta Knight has a lot slower airspeed and more boring attacks than I thought he would. I can see why people are so aggressive with Meta Knight though and it's kinda fun to have offstage battles too. It's possible that Bandana Dee could replace Meta Knight as my main if I don't find any special fun way to play Meta Knight and Meta Knight doesn't get changed up at all.

We'll have to see what Bandana Dee is like if he's added. He may play and/or act completely different from the games (which has happened to other characters before in smash).

Though if Bandana Dee wants to win my love for being a main, he has to get past Linkoln, Martha, Big Mac, Luke Ario, Sanic, Giga Man, Sam, Foxy, Pitfall, Keeby, Pillager, Emperor Triple D, Troll Fighter Trainer.
And if they are added, Mewthree, Ridory, Metal Night, Robert, Snake Eater, Wolf McDonald, Mike, Charred Lizard.
Oh how I love all the wonderful characters we have in Supper Mashing Sisters. :bubblebobble:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
image.jpg

It's Bandana Doof!!!
This is just to show that I wholeheartedly love Bandana Dee for Smash.

You can thank @lonekonwolf for making this masterpiece.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Most likely Kirby addition? Lolo had his own game series before he became a Kirby enemy.

Yeah, Bandanna Dee is still more likely. I'm down, I want to use a spear in smash and they won't give me a fire emblem guy to do it with.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Someone beat you to it.

Logically, it has more Moveset possibilities than Bandana Waddle Dee.
It has everything Waddle Dee can do, plus the eye-beam.

Though Bandana Doo does have the "doesn't exist" factor going against, but that is a very small and insignificant detail.

Top Bottom