• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Otoad64

Smash Lord
After Sephiroth's reveal, Bandana Dee's hate has been the worst it's ever been. It's become the cool thing to say. And with big youtubers like Alpharad and Introspektive adding fuel to the fire, it's impossible for Bandana Dee to get in with a hatedom that makes Jar Jar Binks look like King K. Rool. I've seen people call him lame, a hat goomba, "not hype enough", boring, not iconic enough, just Kirby with a spear, and the like. And they've said it so loud, so many times while undermining the few who will stand up for themselves, that I'm almost convinced it's true. It's so bad, we managed to take back our "most hated in the fandom" title back from Spring Man! It makes me not want to be a Bandana Dee fan anymore. I'm tired of having my favorites hated on and being shafted by both Sakurai and the fandom. I'm on the verge of asking that my name be removed from the support list because of it.
honestly i'm not sure what you're talking about, I haven't seen much bandana dee hate at all, (now geno hate on the other hand)people have been saying they don't want bandana dee, but that's perfectly fine for me, maybe i'm just not looking in the same places you are, is there any place in particular where bandana dee is being especially hated on?

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
honestly i'm not sure what you're talking about, I haven't seen much bandana dee hate at all, (now geno hate on the other hand)people have been saying they don't want bandana dee, but that's perfectly fine for me, maybe i'm just not looking in the same places you are, is there any place in particular where bandana dee is being especially hated on?
Actually, quite a few places, especially Twitter. For whatever reason, BWD is being used as a scapegoat for people who are "mad" at Sephiroth's inclusion alongside Geno and others, which is really dumb. I mean, I don't think many people were expecting BWD at TGA anyway? And yet, plenty of people are acting like BWD was the community's biggest choice for some reason.

I'm not bothered by it much. Just usual generic hate banter made by those who don't even care what character truly gets in. People would make similar memes if BWD does get in over another character.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Actually, quite a few places, especially Twitter. For whatever reason, BWD is being used as a scapegoat for people who are "mad" at Sephiroth's inclusion alongside Geno and others, which is really dumb. I mean, I don't think many people were expecting BWD at TGA anyway? And yet, plenty of people are acting like BWD was the community's biggest choice for some reason.

I'm not bothered by it much. Just usual generic hate banter made by those who don't even care what character truly gets in. People would make similar memes if BWD does get in over another character.
oh, that's why, I don't use twitter and this only gives me more reason not to

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
After Sephiroth's reveal, Bandana Dee's hate has been the worst it's ever been. It's become the cool thing to say. And with big youtubers like Alpharad and Introspektive adding fuel to the fire, it's impossible for Bandana Dee to get in with a hatedom that makes Jar Jar Binks look like King K. Rool. I've seen people call him lame, a hat goomba, "not hype enough", boring, not iconic enough, just Kirby with a spear, and the like. And they've said it so loud, so many times while undermining the few who will stand up for themselves, that I'm almost convinced it's true. It's so bad, we managed to take back our "most hated in the fandom" title back from Spring Man! It makes me not want to be a Bandana Dee fan anymore. I'm tired of having my favorites hated on and being shafted by both Sakurai and the fandom. I'm on the verge of asking that my name be removed from the support list because of it.
Thing is, those SmashTubers ain't the ones deciding who get's in, Sakurai does.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, at this point, whatever YouTubers say is irrelevant, because the fighters have already been chosen.
Well, they didn't have any influence on the decision making of the characters in the first place and the Fighter's Pass 2 characters were set in stone the moment it was announced.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Well, they didn't have any influence on the decision making of the characters in the first place and the Fighter's Pass 2 characters were set in stone the moment it was announced.
Right, so getting riled up over it won't do much for anybody. Nintendo / Sora LTD. / Bamco couldn't care less, about those types of comments. One weird thing I did see about BWD online is how quick people are to jump and say "Oh, [x] Kirby character deserves it more!" or "Why would they put BWD over [y]?"

Like, I really didn't realize that BWD's chances were being factored by other possible candidates...existing. Y'know, the argument that can be used for literally any potential newcomer ever without fail, unless they are a special case like G&W. Or those who think people want BWD because he's "cool". Why else would you want a character in smash besides having a cool moveset? Only valid argument I've ever seen is the possibility that FP2 is trying to get bigwigs, and that's debatable for BWD.

Edit: It's arguable whether ARMS is a bigwig, but I mean, look at Ultimate's newcomer speculation before DLC. Spring Man appeared on many prediction lists before his assist reveal.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

wait they hate bandana because theyre mad sephiroth got in?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
You are all so soft BWD Fans i think i need to fight for you Politly

First i dont hate Etika (he was probably a nice Person [definitly more Sympathetic than me] but this doesnt mean i agree with this)

then we also have this

These Videos prove that 99% of people who hate the Charachter are either (Too lazy to Reseach, dont like Kirby, dont know Kirby, are misinformed or are just really mean to a Nice Fanbase) the other 1% are Kirby fans that think someone else is more Interesting (while i would prefer Dark Matter i still Love Banda Waddle Dee)

Please at least try to understand that Kirby is a Good Franchise with more Games and Sales as Metroid, Dk and Fire Emblem actually if we think about it asking for just Bandana dee is very Nice and cosidate regarding THIS:

but if youre feeling hurt because what i said there is a way to deal with it
1st. Try to understand Kirby and then you can Disscuss again
2nd. Not try and blindly follow haters
3rd. Not hate on BWD Supporters (im by far one of the most aggresive [the others are so nice])

you dont need to want Bandana Dee in Smash but please accept That he is
1st. not a bad Character (i know theyre more interesting Kirby Character but i mean this is not Saying much)
2nd. That Kirby should get (like Zelda And Sonic) a new Rep after 2 Games!

if you do this than Congratulations i dont dislike you(in this Regard) anymore and we can Start Accepting that we have diffrent Opinions!

was that to mean if so than sorry!

Otoad64

Smash Lord

First i dont hate Etika (he was probably a nice Person [definitly more Sympathetic than me] but this doesnt mean i agree with this)

then we also have this

These Videos prove that 99% of people who hate the Charachter are either (Too lazy to Reseach, dont like Kirby, dont know Kirby, are misinformed or are just really mean to a Nice Fanbase) the other 1% are Kirby fans that think someone else is more Interesting (while i would prefer Dark Matter i still Love Banda Waddle Dee)

Please at least try to understand that Kirby is a Good Franchise with more Games and Sales as Metroid, Dk and Fire Emblem actually if we think about it asking for just Bandana dee is very Nice and cosidate regarding THIS:

3rd. Not hate on BWD Supporters (im by far one of the most aggresive [the others are so nice])

1st. not a bad Character (i know theyre more interesting Kirby Character but i mean this is not Saying much)

if you do this than Congratulations i dont dislike you(in this Regard) anymore and we can Start Accepting that we have diffrent Opinions!

this is really good and I agree with this, but bandana dee supporters are the last people who need to hear this

Right, so getting riled up over it won't do much for anybody. Nintendo / Sora LTD. / Bamco couldn't care less, about those types of comments. One weird thing I did see about BWD online is how quick people are to jump and say "Oh, [x] Kirby character deserves it more!" or "Why would they put BWD over [y]?"

Like, I really didn't realize that BWD's chances were being factored by other possible candidates...existing. Y'know, the argument that can be used for literally any potential newcomer ever without fail, unless they are a special case like G&W. Or those who think people want BWD because he's "cool". Why else would you want a character in smash besides having a cool moveset? Only valid argument I've ever seen is the possibility that FP2 is trying to get bigwigs, and that's debatable for BWD.

Edit: It's arguable whether ARMS is a bigwig, but I mean, look at Ultimate's newcomer speculation before DLC. Spring Man appeared on many prediction lists before his assist reveal.
Wait, people think there is a kirby character more deserving than bandana dee? the only ones I can even remotely see making a similiar amount of sense would be galacta knight and maybe magalor. beyond that is just oneoffs, characters that haven't had a major role since the dark matter trilogy,(not counting being playable in an update of star allies as a minor character) or generic enemies

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
this is really good and I agree with this, but bandana dee supporters are the last people who need to hear this
yeah do you know a good Place to copy It?

when i think of us as a Army i would be the Edgy Anti Hero Mercenary hired for Money (of course in Reality i get no Money)

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I dunno just anyplace where bandana dee is frequently hated on
Hm maybe a Marx Thread or Geno maybe General?
if someone has a idea than please tell me!

the cool thing is i can be your Weapon Otoad64 because if get angry im technicly not a BWD Supporter so i can fight for you (as nice as Possible) and you stay Nice and peaceful i mean the reason why is because im pretty Happy with my Mains (i would maybe [depends on Moveset] Main Dark Matter) but i would play BWD and have him used as
1st. Me (Kirby) and Cpu(BWD) against enemys or
2nd. He represents a bunch of Normal Enemys Multi Man Style
i mean he is really versetile even if you dont Main Him 😉 !

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
wait they hate bandana because theyre mad sephiroth got in?
Well, they seem to hate any popular characters at the moment. I saw a few posts that were "happy" Crash "lost" his chance to get in smash, even though...he didn't. People can be really odd sometimes.

Wait, people think there is a kirby character more deserving than bandana dee? the only ones I can even remotely see making a similiar amount of sense would be galacta knight and maybe magalor. beyond that is just oneoffs, characters that haven't had a major role since the dark matter trilogy,(not counting being playable in an update of star allies as a minor character) or generic enemies
Yeah, they do. I saw someone argue that any of the DLC Dream Friends from Star Allies would be a better choice than BWD because they "deserve it". It doesn't even make sense! How do they deserve it for being comeback characters, when BWD has had perfect attendance since Return to Dreamland / Kirby Wii???

Otoad64

Smash Lord
made a challenger pack for bandana dee, tell me what you think!
someone made one for bandana dee but I don't really care

Fighter: Bandana Waddle Dee

Alts:
his 3 alternates from star allies
one based on kirby
one based on meta knight
one based on dedede
one based on magalor

Stage: Dangerous Dinner

Music:
Title Theme - Kirby's Return to Dreamland (REMIX)
Rocky Area - Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Boss Battle - Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Desert Area - Kirby's Return to Dream Land
Dangerous Dinner - Kirby's Return to Dream Land (REMIX)
Waddle Dee Tank - Kirby's Return to Dream Land
Hypernova Inhale - Kirby Triple Deluxe (REMIX)
Dark Clouds - Kirby Triple Deluxe
Bouncing Boss Battle - Kirby Triple Deluxe (REMIX)
Toy Rhythm - Kirby Triple Deluxe
Reflected Laughter - Kirby Triple Deluxe
Title Theme - Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (REMIX)
Kirby Fighters - Kirby Triple Deluxe
P-R-O-G-R-A-M Title Screen - Kirby: Planet Robobot (REMIX)
Mechanical Invaders - Kirby: Planet Robobot
Lively Street - Kirby: Planet Robobot
Spinning Roulette - Kirby: Planet Robobot
Apple Scramble - Kirby Battle Royale (REMIX)
King Dedede Appears - Kirby Battle Royale
Honey Hills - Kirby Star Allies (REMIX)
Sacred Square - Kirby Star Allies
Friend Star - Kirby Star Allies
Meta Knight Battle - Kirby Star Allies
Eastern Wall - Kirby Star Allies (REMIX)
Prayer Song to God - Kirby Star Allies
Super Slam Heroes (Nebula Belt) - Kirby Star Allies
Hyness (Unhooded) Battle - Kirby Star Allies (REMIX)
Void Termina Battle (Flying Phase)
The Final Push - Kirby Star Allies
Morpho Knight Battle - Kirby Star Allies (REMIX)
Astral Birth Void - Kirby Star Allies

Spirits:

Adeline - Novice
Ribbon - Novice
Taranza - Novice
Sir Kibble - Novice
UFO - Advanced
Acro - Advanced
Lololo and Lalala - Advanced
Dark Meta Knight - Ace
Hyness - Ace
Morpho Knight - Legend

Mii Costumes:

Adeline - Swordfighter
Susie - Gunner
Daroach - Brawler
Jobski (Part Time UFO) - Hat
Lloyd (Tales of Symphonia) - Swordfighter (Returning)
Shovel Knight - DX Swordfighter - Music: Strike the Earth! Plains of Passage (REMIX)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, they seem to hate any popular characters at the moment. I saw a few posts that were "happy" Crash "lost" his chance to get in smash, even though...he didn't. People can be really odd sometimes.
they certainly can. they also cant seem to grasp that sakurai cant just do what ever he wants

Yeah, they do. I saw someone argue that any of the DLC Dream Friends from Star Allies would be a better choice than BWD because they "deserve it". It doesn't even make sense! How do they deserve it for being comeback characters, when BWD has had perfect attendance since Return to Dreamland / Kirby Wii???
im so tired of the deserving argument. i do wish people would drop it cause its just not how things work

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
they certainly can. they also cant seem to grasp that sakurai cant just do what ever he wants

im so tired of the deserving argument. i do wish people would drop it cause its just not how things work
Heavy agree. Sakurai and the smash devs literally do not care about the "deserve" factor. It doesn't even make sense. By the logic of deserving characters, smash would be filled to the brim with any and all popular franchises because fans think they "deserve" representation. :mybodyisreggie:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I saw a few posts that were "happy" Crash "lost" his chance to get in smash, even though...he didn't.
To me, he kind of did because Sephiroth is, once again, not a simple character, and Ultimate's dev cycles tend to only drop two "hype bombs". We've just passed our second.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
To me, he kind of did because Sephiroth is, once again, not a simple character, and Ultimate's dev cycles tend to only drop two "hype bombs". We've just passed our second.
That's sort of debatable though. Crash is a popular choice, sure, but there are plenty of people in the community that would go "who?" during his reveal. I mean, compare threads of other characters to this one. Not to downplay Crash at all, cuz I really want him, but he's definitely in a weird in-between of real popular and potentially obscure to casual audiences.

Paraster

Smash Lord
so how likely on a scale from 1-10 do you honestly think bandana dee is? i'm thinking like a 6 or a 7
I don't have a scale ranking, but I do think that Bandana Dee is, alongside Porky, one of the most likely first party characters.
The only question here is how likely first parties in general are for the last three.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
So, with all the negativity here, I figured I'd weigh in. I'll preface this with this: In terms of Smash Ultimate, I don't think Bandana Waddle Dee is happening. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I have a couple of thoughts, some already touched upon.

I think you have touched on some important things, but I don't quite agree with everything. Personally, I don't think BWD's "hate" is any worse or any better than it's ever been. I don't recall Alpharad or Introspektive being openly hateful to Bandana Dee, heck, I for some reason remember Alpharad playing Kirby Fighters 2 and making a note of Bandana Dee since player two was using him, saying nothing negative or positive about him in general. However, I think you're hitting the nail right on the head with the "hype" argument. And... yeah, that I will agree with. Plenty of characters get this, whether it's Dixie Kong, Captain Toad, Pokemon characters, Porky, etc. The thing in common here? They're all first party. We're in an era where requesting a first party is seen as lame because, well, I can only assume people want to go big with characters they'd never thought they'd see in Smash. From what I can tell, Bandana Dee is one of, if not, the most popular first party request. There are a few who rival him, like Waluigi. Unfortunately for the man in purple, it would seem Nintendo can't tell if support for him is in earnest, or if it's just a meme. Bandana Dee is thus usually the highest first party choice I see on most charts, and it's for that reason he seems to get the most hate. As he's that high up on peoples requests, he's often seen as a threat, and I think a lot of others here before me have already touched on that. Characters that high on lists tend to get targeted, it's normal.

then we also have this

Well, for GameXplain, they've addressed this since. I don't remember what video it was, but I remembered them going over possible characters to see in Smash, and one of them was Bandana Dee, and I don't recall Captain Toad being addressed at all. I think when the video was made, they didn't know quite how popular he was, it was a matter of ignorance. As for Etika, well, I don't know if his opinion changed, and at this point, it's impossible as he's no longer with us (rest in peace good sir). I think here though is a good place to address why I don't think we'll be seeing another first party character: hype. In my opinion, hype is one of the biggest double edged swords to grace the Smash fanbase. Most people only see third party characters as hype, with a select few like K. Rool and Ridley being added in the base game. I honestly do think people like first party characters, but they prefer to see them for base game. I mean, look at Ultimate's character additions. K. Rool, Ridley, Incineroar, and Isabelle were all added in base game, with only a few base characters being third party (the Belmonts and Ken, two here are echoes). As for DLC, most characters are third party, and each time a first party character has been added, they usually haven't met the same praise as the third parties they release with. True, Byleth has Fire Emblem fatigue as one of the adversities they have to fight, but Minmin was a welcomed character, and even she can't compete with Steve and Sephiroth. These DLC characters really are going for hype factor, which first party characters just lack for whatever reason. Maybe it's because people believe Nintendo can add these characters any time, unlike third parties, and that's why the third party push is so strong. Even then, first parties can't necesarilly be added whenever. Rex is probably one of the biggest factors of this, missing the boat for base game and most likely being outdated by the time another Xenoblade comes around. I suspect his popularity comes from Sakurai mentioning him by name personally. Any time Sakurai personally mentions a character, the community sees that as a good omen. But considering recent events with Geno... yeah, that doesn't mean everything.

So what was I trying to say in this ramble of an essay? Never to hope for first party DLC characters? Hype is detrimental to some characters? Or that all characters experience some degree of hate? I guess in the end, even I'm not quite sure. :laugh:
Again, I don't expect Bandana Dee at this point, but boy would I like to be wrong. I do think he has the support, I mean, even back in the day, K. Rool was deemed irrelevant by the majority of the fan base, and Ridley was ousted for being "too big." While I think our support is good, I don't think it's quite on par with these two characters. So don't stop supporting Bandana Dee, or Dixie Kong, or Waluigi, or whatever first party character you want. The two behemoth first parties of this game prove anything is possible, but it can take time. If we ever want to see our spear waddler, we have to continue to be vocal. Maybe Ultimate isn't our time (or who knows, maybe it is, I'm not omnipotent), but if support endures like it did for the croc and pterosaur, he'll eventually find his way.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so how likely on a scale from 1-10 do you honestly think bandana dee is? i'm thinking like a 6 or a 7

I don't have a scale ranking, but I do think that Bandana Dee is, alongside Porky, one of the most likely first party characters.
The only question here is how likely first parties in general are for the last three.
why porky?

Oracle Link

Smash Master

why porky?
1st. yeah sadly bandana dee will probably not happen Smash Ultimate my ass!

2. Its because he is a important Mother/earthbound Character Well Known Unique and
he himself is not in Smash not as a Boss not as a Assist Trophy or Costume and most importantly not even a Spirit!
(which means theyre just Statues of him in weird!)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
1st. yeah sadly bandana dee will probably not happen Smash Ultimate my ass!

2. Its because he is a important Mother/earthbound Character Well Known Unique and
he himself is not in Smash not as a Boss not as a Assist Trophy or Costume and most importantly not even a Spirit!
(which means theyre just Statues of him in weird!)
1 what?

2 the logic of him being mia could only really work if the 2nd pass had been planned from the start which we know it wasnt.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
1 what?

2 the logic of him being mia could only really work if the 2nd pass had been planned from the start which we know it wasnt.
1st Smas ultimate my Ass means i really prefer the orignal Name Super Smash bros Special

2nd. i know but im talking more about fp 1 i just wanted to explain to you why people want porky

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It's hard to rank everyone, given how many unknown variables are behind the scenes that we don't know about. Though, if I had to guess, I'd say around the 5-6 range.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
1st Smas ultimate my Ass means i really prefer the orignal Name Super Smash bros Special

2nd. i know but im talking more about fp 1 i just wanted to explain to you why people want porky
seems petty

i wasnt asking why people wanted porky i was asking why they thought porky was likely

Porky still could happen even if he wasn't planned all the way back during base game.
but then youve got to ask yourself, would nintendo suggest another character from a series that ended 16 years ago over all their big switch titles?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
but then youve got to ask yourself, would nintendo suggest another character from a series that ended 16 years ago over all their big switch titles?
Sakurai though wouldn't give a **** and add who he wants or thinks is fun. Though they would have to get the thumbs up from Nintendo.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
seems petty

i wasnt asking why people wanted porky i was asking why they thought porky was likely

I mean ultimate is a bad name there is always room for improvement actually a lot of times the japanes names are better (in Japanese Games of course) i mean Galeem an Dharkhon are called Kyra and Dhars in Japanese and German
why tf are there themes still labeld vs Galeem/Dharkhon this is just confusing!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai though wouldn't give a **** and add who he wants or thinks is fun. Though they would have to get the thumbs up from Nintendo.
but nintendo is the one picking characters atm. sakurai is either agreeing or disagreeing

I mean ultimate is a bad name there is always room for improvement actually a lot of times the japanes names are better (in Japanese Games of course) i mean Galeem an Dharkhon are called Kyra and Dhars in Japanese and German
why tf are there themes still labeld vs Galeem/Dharkhon this is just confusing!
so because you dont like the names youre gonna instead refer to it by an insult? and the vs galeem/darkhon theme is when you fight the two of them at the same time, how is that confusing?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
but nintendo is the one picking characters atm. sakurai is either agreeing or disagreeing

so because you dont like the names youre gonna instead refer to it by an insult? and the vs galeem/darkhon theme is when you fight the two of them at the same time, how is that confusing?
i mean ultimates name is bad and leads to people saying its the last smash (no because Money)
i mean if Kyra/Dars is their original and German Name it should be used in the german Audiothek (Sound test)
and its far worse with Locations

this is the reason why i would use German Names in my OST (if i ever finish making my Game) though i would probably but a description in the non german version in ()

Top Bottom