• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Here's how wrong you are:

Steve is somewhat likely, I'll give you that.
Ken would be an echo and not take up space
we're not getting a tenth Pokemon character, period. Knowing Nintendo, Pokemon will never hit double digits before Mario does.
Square already has a rep, Geno is super unlikely, and FF won't get a second full fighter before Sonic or Mega Man does.

The game was not his last chance. So many slots were taken up for returning vets and fighters that otherwise would have been removed, that just about every other request was squeezed into AT hell, save very few. So far they have hit every one of the top fighters except for BWD and Magolor, who were the fourth and seventh most requested fighters in Japan, respectively.

The hate that came from the GameXplain video was toward them, not against Dee. GameXplain had several factual errors and in the end made an uneducated jurisdiction, not to mention the entire thing was scripted and decided on and not a real debate. Sakurai has paid attention to Dee, tweeting an image of the "four main characters" of Kirby. Dee has been used in promotional merchandise and has major appearances in almost every Kirby game in the last decade, including being playable thrice. Not having Dee in would be like straight up removing Luigi for not being Mario.

Sakurai has stated that there is no bias for Kirby. It's more than that, he's biased against it, like you said He's too afraid to add another Kirby fighter after the minor episode some people had when their highest requests didn't get in, and they blamed Dedede and Meta Knight, calling it Sakurai Bias. In Smash 4 he was too afraid, which led to major backlash. Considering Dee and Magolor both placing in Japan's top 10 requests, it should be likely that he changed his mind and saw the logical answer. Besides, see Corrin and Bayo. Everyone can agree Dee would have been better as a "realizable character."

And besides, HAL would never approach Sakurai with a request. Intelligent begged him to add more FE fighters after Ike's 2 games failed utterly so they could make FE more popular. Again, see the amount of backlash toward FE these days, for having almost as many fighters as Mario, equal to Pokemon for crying out loud, and more fighters than both Zelda and Kirby. That's unacceptable for a second, almost third tier seller. HAL would never do such a thing.
I was mainly referring to Vergeben and how it's unlikely there'll be room for anyone else, considering how there are VERY few newcomers left. I was also referring to Ultimate in particular. While he could get into the next game, but we don't know if there WILL be one, and I don't want to count on it. That and that game would be 5 years away at the very least.
While I know about the flack Gamexplain got (which they probably reveled in, considering the comment they made during Ridley's video), almost everywhere except for this thread HATES him, and I just observed that that hate started around the time GX posted the video, so as (I think) I said before, my theory is that the source of the Bandana Dee hate is from Gamexplain whose opinion just spread.
IMO, being biased against Kirby as a whole doesn't help either, since that means less representation for Modern Kirby (for which I was talking about major representation, like characters and stages).

Not having Dee in would be like straight up removing Luigi for not being Mario.
You got that right. We need to find a way to make everyone outside of this thread see that, especially considering how Sakurai's probably planning DLC now, since the game's complete or very close to it. Any ideas?

Last edited:

gspindles

Smash Rookie
Chandeelure Chandeelure Please add me to the supporter list as well.

Now that Metroid is at 4, I'm hoping we get Dixie as DK rep #4, and similarly, Bandana Dee (or Marx) as the 4th Kirby rep.

Last edited:

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
Add me as a supporter! Bandana dee is soo cute and will probably be my second main if he ever gets in the game. ^^

Waddle_dude

Smash Cadet
I was mainly referring to Vergeben and how it's unlikely there'll be room for anyone else, considering how there are VERY few newcomers left. I was also referring to Ultimate in particular. While he could get into the next game, but we don't know if there WILL be one, and I don't want to count on it. That and that game would be 5 years away at the very least.
While I know about the flack Gamexplain got (which they probably reveled in, considering the comment they made during Ridley's video), almost everywhere except for this thread HATES him, and I just observed that that hate started around the time GX posted the video, so as (I think) I said before, my theory is that the source of the Bandana Dee hate is from Gamexplain whose opinion just spread.
IMO, being biased against Kirby as a whole doesn't help either, since that means less representation for Modern Kirby (for which I was talking about major representation, like characters and stages).

You got that right. We need to find a way to make everyone outside of this thread see that, especially considering how Sakurai's probably planning DLC now, since the game's complete or very close to it. Any ideas?
While I get and understand a lot of what your saying. One point where I will disagree with is when you said people out side of the thread hate him. That’s just not true while everyone here might be in love with the bandana boi he is a lot more popular than you think. Being number one requested in Japan he usually places within the top ten in other regions as well. Even in more recent polls he places in top 5 world wide. He is very popular more than you think :)

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
While I get and understand a lot of what your saying. One point where I will disagree with is when you said people out side of the thread hate him. That’s just not true while everyone here might be in love with the bandana boi he is a lot more popular than you think. Being number one requested in Japan he usually places within the top ten in other regions as well. Even in more recent polls he places in top 5 world wide. He is very popular more than you think :)
I'm mostly sure that the people who don't like Bandana Dee haven't played the more recent Kirby games (or only the 3ds main series where he's a support). I mean, I literally have no opinion on a series like Fire Emblem because I still haven't played one. If another one got in, I'd be a little confused on who they are but I'd do research on who they are and why they were significant enough to get in Smash. I think what I'm trying to say is...people like to bag on potential newcomers from series that they haven't played/games where the character is prominent. It may stay that way until the character gets in smash. I mean, look at Isabelle. Literally nobody hated her until she got in, and those haters seemed to have completely disappeared.

NotTabuu

Smash Rookie
Personally I am fine with almost every possible pick (save for Incineroar and his weird design even if I am getting used to it) and I can easily see the Star Allies moveset being "ported". Now the issue would be the Final Smash. It can either be:
1. Megaton Punch (worst possible choice in my opinion)
2. Brawl Dedede's Final Smash
3. A mixup of both

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

Veregeban may have gotten some things right but now he's just basking in glory. He can say anything and it's treated as fact. His leaks now are incredibly unlikely.

As for raising awareness, I'd say mention Dee u=in as many posts as you can and create conversations about him whenever possible, especially outside of Smashboards.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I still don't get why people believe Vergeben, it isn't like the characters he has gotten right already weren't predicted by most.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I still don't get why people believe Vergeben, it isn't like the characters he has gotten right already weren't predicted by most.
Ehh... you can say that with Ridley and to a lesser extent Isabelle, but Simon was completely off of people's radars until Vergeben brought him up, since most people's first pick for a 2nd Konami Rep was Bomberman. Even Isabelle was somewhat off of people's radars until he brought her up.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Ehh... you can say that with Ridley and to a lesser extent Isabelle, but Simon was completely off of people's radars until Vergeben brought him up, since most people's first pick for a 2nd Konami Rep was Bomberman. Even Isabelle was somewhat off of people's radars until he brought her up.
Even before Vergeben, I and many others expected Isabelle. You have a point that Bomberman was more requested but I still saw quite the support for Simon and even after everyone started talking about him many saw how much he was likely and made sense, honestly it was a solid prediction.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
So Vergeben's the topic now, huh? Well, I do believe he's someone to keep an eye on, I will admit some of his predictions could be seen as safe bets. Another note, while he did get Simon when really no one else was thinking of 'em, Richter didn't seem to be apart of said prediction. Even Isabelle, his sources weren't sure if she was unique or an echo. A leaker is only as credible as their sources, and it really comes down to if the sources stating these characters are correct, as I recall a point where one of his sources even said there wouldn't be any new DK reps. I guess that's fair though, I mean, it's not like we actually got any more DK characters...
:ultkrool::ultkrool::ultkrool:

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
My personal stance of Verge is the following:

He's got some credible sources, but his information is incomplete if various characters from the 8/8 smash direct and "everyone is here" are any indication (No cuts does not imply Pichu, Young Link, etc. after all.). And a possibility of a Gematsu repeat should NOT be ignored (where alot of the information is correct, but outdated).

Recently, for example, a Castlevania bundle was revealed. And, correct me if I'm wrong on this, Vergeben said it would come out on Switch prior to the reveal, but it's coming out on PS4 instead.

Even the most credible leakers and sources aren't immune to mistakes. That's why I only consider leaks like his possibilities and not the absolute truth until they're confirmed.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I added some supporters to the list and I noticed that now almost all pics are broken in the OP for some reason.
Someone here told me how to fix that problem, but I don't remember how...

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Simon was an obvious Mega Man like pick in Smash due to Simon's history with Nintendo and Castlevania being Konami's second biggest franchise. Having Snake revealed and Bomberman as an assist made him almost a lock to be in.

I'd say Ridley was a bigger shock because Sakurai has stated that he didn't make him playable in Brawl and 4 due to his size

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Simon was an obvious Mega Man like pick in Smash due to Simon's history with Nintendo and Castlevania being Konami's second biggest franchise. Having Snake revealed and Bomberman as an assist made him almost a lock to be in.

I'd say Ridley was a bigger shock because Sakurai has stated that he didn't make him playable in Brawl and 4 due to his size
to be fair mega man had a high level of fan demand as well that simon didnt have

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Just wanted show my appreciation for Waddle Dees here with this post. BTW, the following is from a Tumblr post and it is not mine. I just really wanted to post this here.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/ae1a69dad36670a7520e4d9f44cc402c/tumblr_pfwhqbmW3s1xh1gkho1_1280.png

Directions for Rating Cuteness

1. Add up all the cuteness points.

2. Divide the total by 2.

3. Multiply by 5.

4. Take the derivative.

5. Add back the initial sum of cuteness points.

6. Add one more point.

7. Add however many points you feel like giving.

8. Adopt a Waddle Dee from a Waddle Dee Vending machine.

9. Feed them cake.

10. Kiss their cheeks.

11. Play peek-a-boo with them.

12. Compliment them everyday.

13. Cuddle them for 6 hours.

14. HHHhHHHHHHhhHhHhhHhh

15. Make sure they are loved and happy.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
So, considering the fact that Dedede and Meta Knight have been possessed in multiple battles with Kirby, as recent as Star Allies even, would anyone here be opposed to a fight with a possessed Bandana Dee?

I could see it starting with him acting like the arena Waddle Dee, as he did in Super Star Ultra, but once a fourth of his health or so is gone, the force possessing him gets serious as he pulls out his spear for a much tougher battle. Of course, after defeating him and removing the negative influence, he apologizes in some way or even joins Kirby in his victory dance. Thoughts on this idea?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I have mixed feelings on Vergeben’s credibility.

On one hand, he did get a few things right and he hasn’t really been wrong per say about anything, on the other hand they’re relatively safe picks, there were a few things that went under his radar, and I’m not gonna go into detail about his little episode from Gamefaqs that happened the other day that made me question is professionability, and general inconsistent behavior overall.

I have very mixed emotions regarding him atm, I can’t flat out say “Oh yeah Vergeben’s a liar everyone he’s water under the bridge” but I really can’t say he’s completely professional either. I just don’t know either way.

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
I have mixed feelings on Vergeben’s credibility.

On one hand, he did get a few things right and he hasn’t really been wrong per say about anything, on the other hand they’re relatively safe picks, there were a few things that went under his radar, and I’m not gonna go into detail about his little episode from Gamefaqs that happened the other day that made me question is professionability, and general inconsistent behavior overall.

I have very mixed emotions regarding him atm, I can’t flat out say “Oh yeah Vergeben’s a liar everyone he’s water under the bridge” but I really can’t say he’s completely professional either. I just don’t know either way.
I don't follow Vergeben, what happened with him the other day?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I don't follow Vergeben, what happened with him the other day?
I’m not gonna say cause I don’t want to bring drama into this thread and he said some pretty severe things but let’s just say that it ended in flames and I’m beginning to question his professionalism.

11th

Smash Apprentice
FancySmash FancySmash : I have thought about it before, actually.

Bandana Dee's most notable trait (in my mind) is his loyalty, so I was thinking that it would be fitting if he snapped out of it for a few seconds at the end of each phase to throw an item to help the player. Dedede and Meta Knight both have traits that make it difficult for them to resist such influences (Dedede has his rivalry with Kirby, and MK can't resist a good fight to test/improve his abilities.), but BanDee is usually just following orders or helping people. He has no reason to want to hurt his friends.

---

Shiny Porygon Shiny Porygon : I assume NintenZ is referring to his response after the Pokémon music was posted. People started messaging him and calling him out on his Pokémon rep info even though there's no proof that the "music theory" was right, and he snapped. Even if I don't agree with what he does, it's hard to completely fault him for that. It's not easy to be at the center of speculation for one of the biggest games of the year and have hundreds of people waiting for you to slip up.

Of course, I haven't been on top of things for a few days, so it's possible that I've missed something else.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Shiny Porygon Shiny Porygon Shiny Porygon Shiny Porygon : I assume NintenZ is referring to his response after the Pokémon music was posted. People started messaging him and calling him out on his Pokémon rep info even though there's no proof that the "music theory" was right, and he snapped. Even if I don't agree with what he does, it's hard to completely fault him for that. It's not easy to be at the center of speculation for one of the biggest games of the year and have hundreds of people waiting for you to slip up.
I mean in all honesty he took things waaaaay too far with some of the things that he said and I was legitimately offended, I understand that he was under a lot of pressure but that’s not an excuse for some of the things that he said. People involved with the industry shouldn’t do things like that.

11th

Smash Apprentice
NintenZ NintenZ : I didn't read most of it myself, so I don't know exactly what happened or how bad it may have gotten. I'm not agreeing with what he did or excusing it, just saying that I understand why it happened. Also, I wouldn't consider him "involved with the industry" in any official sense. (And even if he was, being a part of it doesn't mean you're representing the entire industry, just yourself and maybe your employer.)

Here's a scribble to make up for the slight derail.
BanDee Scrib 10-2-18.png

Edit: Added a link. Smashboards is not liking images right now.
Edit 2: Uploads are finally working. Fixed.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So, considering the fact that Dedede and Meta Knight have been possessed in multiple battles with Kirby, as recent as Star Allies even, would anyone here be opposed to a fight with a possessed Bandana Dee?

I could see it starting with him acting like the arena Waddle Dee, as he did in Super Star Ultra, but once a fourth of his health or so is gone, the force possessing him gets serious as he pulls out his spear for a much tougher battle. Of course, after defeating him and removing the negative influence, he apologizes in some way or even joins Kirby in his victory dance. Thoughts on this idea?
Personally, I'm STILL a tad miffed that this DIDN'T happen in Star Allies, but I guess when you consider how the little guy is supposedly supposed to be the Luigi/Tails to Kirby's Mario/Sonic in this day and age, I guess it sort of makes sense just why HAL wouldn't seem to have any intentions of doing something like that... right now, at least...

I'll say this much though... If it did/ever does happen? I would want B.W.D. to legit be the most difficult possessed boss ever in the history of Kirby.

Like you suggested, maybe the battle with the possessed B.W.D. would (at first) look to be a repeat of their first (and only) fight against each other in Revenge of the King, but once he has 1/4 of his health remaining, he suddenly begins to go on the offensive, using crazy OP variations of all of his Spear attacks to end Kirby (ex. Spear Barrage has WAY longer reach, Spear Toss has him releasing 10 spears rather than 3, Spear-Copter generates a tornado around his body which would leave Kirby unable to even touch him for a time, etc.) and he'd even use an OP version of Megaton Punch that covers a MASSIVE radius when he punches the ground, leaving VERY little room for Kirby to escape the attack (BTW, if you choose to inhale the little guy, you'd automatically take out 3/4 of his health, immediately getting to the hard part of the fight).

BTW, guys. I edited my post from before about Waddle Dees being really cute, so now you can click the link that takes you to the image that seems to be broken.

Maikou

Smash Ace

Personally, I'm STILL a tad miffed that this DIDN'T happen in Star Allies, but I guess when you consider how the little guy is supposedly supposed to be the Luigi/Tails to Kirby's Mario/Sonic in this day and age, I guess it sort of makes sense just why HAL wouldn't seem to have any intentions of doing something like that... right now, at least...

I'll say this much though... If it did/ever does happen? I would want B.W.D. to legit be the most difficult possessed boss ever in the history of Kirby.
I actually kind of like how he starts out as the only Dream Friend you can have join you in Star Allies due to not getting possessed. Shows that his friendship with Kirby is strong and true. But I'll admit, the idea of a battle with Bandana Dee possessed could certainly be fun if they took it seriously.

Like you suggested, maybe the battle with the possessed B.W.D. would (at first) look to be a repeat of their first (and only) fight against each other in Revenge of the King, but once he has 1/4 of his health remaining, he suddenly begins to go on the offensive, using crazy OP variations of all of his Spear attacks to end Kirby (ex. Spear Barrage has WAY longer reach, Spear Toss has him releasing 10 spears rather than 3, Spear-Copter generates a tornado around his body which would leave Kirby unable to even touch him for a time, etc.) and he'd even use an OP version of Megaton Punch that covers a MASSIVE radius when he punches the ground, leaving VERY little room for Kirby to escape the attack (BTW, if you choose to inhale the little guy, you'd automatically take out 3/4 of his health, immediately getting to the hard part of the fight).

Bandana Dee's most notable trait (in my mind) is his loyalty, so I was thinking that it would be fitting if he snapped out of it for a few seconds at the end of each phase to throw an item to help the player. Dedede and Meta Knight both have traits that make it difficult for them to resist such influences (Dedede has his rivalry with Kirby, and MK can't resist a good fight to test/improve his abilities.), but BanDee is usually just following orders or helping people. He has no reason to want to hurt his friends.
These are both good ideas, if a bit contradictory in terms of the length of the fight, and smashkirby seems to have misread Fancy Smash's idea about BD's HP. How about something of a compromise or combination?

For example, Fancy Smash brought up Dee changing phases after losing the first quarter of his HP-- he'll still have 3/4 though. So right off, Bandana Dee has the unique trait of changing phases every time you knock off a quarter of his max health, with him tossing you a recovery item between each phase shift. Or perhaps we could combine the Kirby 64 and modern RtDL onwards methods, and give him two full health bars, changing phase after the first quarter of his first bar, then after the first bar, and the halfway mark of the second. I also think Bandana Dee should toss three items to Kirby over the course of the fight;

First, a reserve Maxim Tomato. Being the first phase shift, Bandana Dee would have enough control to toss Kirby the most useful item he can think of.
Secondly, a 1-Up. It's the halfway mark, so it'd be a kinda jerkish fake-out to make you think you won (also because it'd be the next item Bandana Dee wanted to give Kirby anyway)
And finally, a basic recovery tomato. Being the mark of the last phase, Dee wouldn't have as much control over what he tosses to Kirby, and giving you another really good item would make the last part of the fight too easy.

Anyway, first phase would probably be a recreation of the first/only canon fight, with a twist. Bandana Dee takes a lot less damage from Copy Ability attacks than most bosses, but he can be grabbed and thrown by any Ability with such a move and he does flinch, just like that fight. Those who played SSU might think to just eat him again....but that's a really bad idea. I was initially thinking Kirby could simply refuse to inhale BD, but then going that route would really hurt the player if they're actually just trying to get their power back from a careless mistake. Instead, Kirby if Kirby inhales BD, it instantly ends the first phase, but he struggles fiercely, causing Kirby's body to cartoonishly bump around before Bandana Dee escapes, causing Kirby to fall on his face with BD lacking his bandana as he flies to the edge of the screen. Once Kirby recovers, he coughs out the bandana, which flutters over by Bandana Dee, and the player loses half HP from Kirby's guilt as things progress straight to the second phase of the fight with no recovery items, though since this would destroy Kirby's ability, BD could toss a spear to him instead like Meta Knight does, or simply drop one that Kirby automatically inhales. Ending the first phase with an attack causes him to fly into the edge of the screen, knocking his bandana off, but when he recovers, Bandana Dee shakes his head and throws Kirby the reserve Maxim Tomato, but then holds his head as the possession takes over again.

To start phase 2, BD puts his bandana back on, draws his spear, and proceeds to fight just as he does in RtDL, Rainbow Curse, and Star Allies, using the normal Spear moveset to fight you, and sometimes blocking your attacks. I'd say the only real difference between his playable moves and the boss would be a kicking attack when he uses Spearcopter to keep you off him, and maybe a charged Spear Toss throwing 5 spears instead of 3. Otherwise, identical to his playable attacks. Also, from here on, he can no longer be inhaled, though the repercussions of inhaling him don't end yet. If you inhaled him in phase 1, you get a regular tomato instead of a 1-Up for defeating phase 2. Worth noting that Bandana Dee can still be grabbed and thrown by attacks which normally don't affect bosses, like Ninja Kirby's Sky Drop or Parasol's Circus Throw, and he can be interrupted from charging Spearcopter and Spear Toss.

Phase 3 introduces elemental additions to certain attacks, such as Spearcopter being surrounded by a tornado as Bandana Dee flies to the top of the screen, Bandana Dee now has the ability to perform dodges, and his charged attacks cannot be interrupted. He no longer flinches from regular attacks, but he's still vulnerable to grabs, even when dodging. Also, Spear Toss charged releases 7 spears instead of 3 or 5. Worth noting he can still be damaged when charging attacks, he just can't be interrupted or grabbed. If you inhaled Bandana Dee in the first phase, you don't get anything from beating this phase.

Phase 4, the dramatic finish. Bandana Dee is no longer affected by grabs/throws, does not flinch, and pulls out even more power in a Megaton Punch that acts like another charged attack like Spear Toss and Spearcopter, but Dee puts his spear on his back and takes the Megaton Punch stance. After a few seconds, he'll unleash it, sending powerful shockwaves along the ground. Touching one sends Kirby flying off the top of the screen for a while and deals a lot of damage, though Bandana Dee wouldn't use the move often, and a charged Spear Toss flings 10 spears at you. Spear Barrage would get used a lot more often in this phase, with spears thrown at you a lot quicker than before. Dodging and blocking would be absolutely essential in this fight, mostly dodging since I don't think the thrown spears' hitboxes would last long once they land.

What do you think?

Hey. This is cool and all, and I don’t have anything against the character, but I’m not sure if you can use the “generic” argument.

I mean, yeah, Yoshi is just a Yoshi, but Yoshi has something that Waddle Dee doesn’t have; Games. Yoshi cookie, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island, Yoshi Story, that one game that came out for the original DS, Yarn Yoshi. He’s had games coming out for s cool minute, some before y’all were born lol. Not to mention he’s just loved phenomenally amongst people who recognize Nintendo characters.

While Yoshi can be generic in nature, I wouldn’t expect every Yoshi to function the same, same as I wouldn’t expect every Waddle Dee to function the same. But conversely to my argument, some Yoshi’s have wings and can fly, and Bandana Waddle Dee uses a spear. But with that argument, should Winged Yoshi be added to the game on that premise?

What doesn’t hurt the characters chances of being a fighter shy of the presence of the character in a series that is lesser known to those who don’t pay attention to Nintendo, is the characters Marketability. Smash’s muscle to bring prestige to its represented franchises is unprecedented in its success and execution, by having characters who are not only unique and dynamic on the character select screen, but also have strong franchise presence. A Waddle Dee with a bandana does very little to entice the core audience of gamers who are unable to differentiate the character from Kirby or Jigglypuff, which is really important when you understand the psychology behind why we make choices. Breakfast cereals with mascots are typically placed on lower shelves so that kids will pic them out and entice parents to buy them, and candy is placed near the front of the store because shoppers are more likely to make worse purchasing decisions when they are mentally fatigued. This works in the same way that character composition, color schemes, attitudes, etc. make a character stand out. Furthermore when they are part of a franchise that has growth. Ultimately, you can compare Dee with Kirby and Jigglypuff, but Kirby’s the star of the show, and Pokémon is a nation wide phenomenon with Jigglypuff standing out as her own character in the anime helps as well, especially considering that she has Sing as one of her moves like in the anime.

With all this said, I could be wrong. Crazier things have happened. People didn’t react to Isabelle, an incredibly popular character, very well due to her marketability as a character (at least I believe that). Most people were far more excited for Chrom just because he’s a cool ass dude with a sword. I think having a character with a spear is cool, but when the largest component of the initial post is dedicated to why he is relevant to a franchise to a forum full of gamers, doesn’t bode well with the possibility of public perception.

Personally speaking, if there were a spear using character, I would want Ephraim from Fire Emblem Sacred Stones.

FancySmash

Smash Lord

No reason to hurt his friends... unless of course, he were to join the fray in Smash. Then it'd all be in good fun I'd imagine. :laugh:
But yeah, I imagine Bandana Dee would be the easiest to return to normal. Aside from Kirby of course, who, for obvious reasons, will never get possessed.

BTW, guys. I edited my post from before about Waddle Dees being really cute, so now you can click the link that takes you to the image that seems to be broken.
I could see that 10 spear toss be like a spear rain, he tosses them all up, jumps into the background, and lets them all fall while Kirby avoids them, since the 3D Kirby games really seem to be pushing the background in the fights more often. Inhaling him... I think for the sake of his expanded roll, the inhaling him thing would probably be removed, as at this point, he's a major character, and most games won't let you inhale major bosses. (For example, Kirby could inhale all three of his friends in RtDL, but that wouldn't happen in boss fights). But I could also see it happening for Easter Egg purposes.

I actually kind of like how he starts out as the only Dream Friend you can have join you in Star Allies due to not getting possessed. Shows that his friendship with Kirby is strong and true. But I'll admit, the idea of a battle with Bandana Dee possessed could certainly be fun if they took it seriously.

These are both good ideas, if a bit contradictory in terms of the length of the fight, and smashkirby seems to have misread Fancy Smash's idea about BD's HP. How about something of a compromise or combination?

For example, Fancy Smash brought up Dee changing phases after losing the first quarter of his HP-- he'll still have 3/4 though. So right off, Bandana Dee has the unique trait of changing phases every time you knock off a quarter of his max health, with him tossing you a recovery item between each phase shift. Or perhaps we could combine the Kirby 64 and modern RtDL onwards methods, and give him two full health bars, changing phase after the first quarter of his first bar, then after the first bar, and the halfway mark of the second. I also think Bandana Dee should toss three items to Kirby over the course of the fight;

First, a reserve Maxim Tomato. Being the first phase shift, Bandana Dee would have enough control to toss Kirby the most useful item he can think of.
Secondly, a 1-Up. It's the halfway mark, so it'd be a kinda jerkish fake-out to make you think you won (also because it'd be the next item Bandana Dee wanted to give Kirby anyway)
And finally, a basic recovery tomato. Being the mark of the last phase, Dee wouldn't have as much control over what he tosses to Kirby, and giving you another really good item would make the last part of the fight too easy.

Anyway, first phase would probably be a recreation of the first/only canon fight, with a twist. Bandana Dee takes a lot less damage from Copy Ability attacks than most bosses, but he can be grabbed and thrown by any Ability with such a move and he does flinch, just like that fight. Those who played SSU might think to just eat him again....but that's a really bad idea. I was initially thinking Kirby could simply refuse to inhale BD, but then going that route would really hurt the player if they're actually just trying to get their power back from a careless mistake. Instead, Kirby if Kirby inhales BD, it instantly ends the first phase, but he struggles fiercely, causing Kirby's body to cartoonishly bump around before Bandana Dee escapes, causing Kirby to fall on his face with BD lacking his bandana as he flies to the edge of the screen. Once Kirby recovers, he coughs out the bandana, which flutters over by Bandana Dee, and the player loses half HP from Kirby's guilt as things progress straight to the second phase of the fight with no recovery items, though since this would destroy Kirby's ability, BD could toss a spear to him instead like Meta Knight does, or simply drop one that Kirby automatically inhales. Ending the first phase with an attack causes him to fly into the edge of the screen, knocking his bandana off, but when he recovers, Bandana Dee shakes his head and throws Kirby the reserve Maxim Tomato, but then holds his head as the possession takes over again.

To start phase 2, BD puts his bandana back on, draws his spear, and proceeds to fight just as he does in RtDL, Rainbow Curse, and Star Allies, using the normal Spear moveset to fight you, and sometimes blocking your attacks. I'd say the only real difference between his playable moves and the boss would be a kicking attack when he uses Spearcopter to keep you off him, and maybe a charged Spear Toss throwing 5 spears instead of 3. Otherwise, identical to his playable attacks. Also, from here on, he can no longer be inhaled, though the repercussions of inhaling him don't end yet. If you inhaled him in phase 1, you get a regular tomato instead of a 1-Up for defeating phase 2. Worth noting that Bandana Dee can still be grabbed and thrown by attacks which normally don't affect bosses, like Ninja Kirby's Sky Drop or Parasol's Circus Throw, and he can be interrupted from charging Spearcopter and Spear Toss.

Phase 3 introduces elemental additions to certain attacks, such as Spearcopter being surrounded by a tornado as Bandana Dee flies to the top of the screen, Bandana Dee now has the ability to perform dodges, and his charged attacks cannot be interrupted. He no longer flinches from regular attacks, but he's still vulnerable to grabs, even when dodging. Also, Spear Toss charged releases 7 spears instead of 3 or 5. Worth noting he can still be damaged when charging attacks, he just can't be interrupted or grabbed. If you inhaled Bandana Dee in the first phase, you don't get anything from beating this phase.

Phase 4, the dramatic finish. Bandana Dee is no longer affected by grabs/throws, does not flinch, and pulls out even more power in a Megaton Punch that acts like another charged attack like Spear Toss and Spearcopter, but Dee puts his spear on his back and takes the Megaton Punch stance. After a few seconds, he'll unleash it, sending powerful shockwaves along the ground. Touching one sends Kirby flying off the top of the screen for a while and deals a lot of damage, though Bandana Dee wouldn't use the move often, and a charged Spear Toss flings 10 spears at you. Spear Barrage would get used a lot more often in this phase, with spears thrown at you a lot quicker than before. Dodging and blocking would be absolutely essential in this fight, mostly dodging since I don't think the thrown spears' hitboxes would last long once they land.

What do you think?
I like the idea of him progressively trying to break free of what's possessing him as the course of the battle goes on, though in the end not being able too. Shows he's a closer friend of sorts than Dedede and Meta Knight. I think this could also work if they ever do Dededetour Returns, as it'd be hard for Bandana Dee to fight the king who's also his friend. As mentioned previously, inhaling him is a weird topic for sure. I could kinda see a small cutscene where Kirby inhales him, but it does no damage. Instead, Kirby bounces around for a few seconds, as Bandana Dee struggles to escape. Eventually doing so, he straightens his Bandana and turns to Kirby giving him a small glare, translating to something along the lines of "did you seriously think that'd work?"

I like all these ideas, they fit his character well. Plus, I think having a more serious boss fight, while calling back to his joke fight for at least part of the battle, could open people to the idea that he's no common mook.

EDIT
Hey. This is cool and all, and I don’t have anything against the character, but I’m not sure if you can use the “generic” argument.

I mean, yeah, Yoshi is just a Yoshi, but Yoshi has something that Waddle Dee doesn’t have; Games. Yoshi cookie, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island, Yoshi Story, that one game that came out for the original DS, Yarn Yoshi. He’s had games coming out for s cool minute, some before y’all were born lol. Not to mention he’s just loved phenomenally amongst people who recognize Nintendo characters.

While Yoshi can be generic in nature, I wouldn’t expect every Yoshi to function the same, same as I wouldn’t expect every Waddle Dee to function the same. But conversely to my argument, some Yoshi’s have wings and can fly, and Bandana Waddle Dee uses a spear. But with that argument, should Winged Yoshi be added to the game on that premise?

What doesn’t hurt the characters chances of being a fighter shy of the presence of the character in a series that is lesser known to those who don’t pay attention to Nintendo, is the characters Marketability. Smash’s muscle to bring prestige to its represented franchises is unprecedented in its success and execution, by having characters who are not only unique and dynamic on the character select screen, but also have strong franchise presence. A Waddle Dee with a bandana does very little to entice the core audience of gamers who are unable to differentiate the character from Kirby or Jigglypuff, which is really important when you understand the psychology behind why we make choices. Breakfast cereals with mascots are typically placed on lower shelves so that kids will pic them out and entice parents to buy them, and candy is placed near the front of the store because shoppers are more likely to make worse purchasing decisions when they are mentally fatigued. This works in the same way that character composition, color schemes, attitudes, etc. make a character stand out. Furthermore when they are part of a franchise that has growth. Ultimately, you can compare Dee with Kirby and Jigglypuff, but Kirby’s the star of the show, and Pokémon is a nation wide phenomenon with Jigglypuff standing out as her own character in the anime helps as well, especially considering that she has Sing as one of her moves like in the anime.

With all this said, I could be wrong. Crazier things have happened. People didn’t react to Isabelle, an incredibly popular character, very well due to her marketability as a character (at least I believe that). Most people were far more excited for Chrom just because he’s a cool *** dude with a sword. I think having a character with a spear is cool, but when the largest component of the initial post is dedicated to why he is relevant to a franchise to a forum full of gamers, doesn’t bode well with the possibility of public perception.

Personally speaking, if there were a spear using character, I would want Ephraim from Fire Emblem Sacred Stones.
Sorry, I'm... not sure who you're responding to, if you are that is. Err, anyways, I assume this is the "at face value, he's just a generic Waddle Dee" argument. Now, it doesn't seem that you actually believe that yourself, as you stated you have nothing against the character, you're more referring to how the Smash fan base would take him. To be fair on Yoshi's case, yes Yoshi has had his own games, but technically speaking, the Yoshi in those games... aren't the Yoshi known from the Mario series. At the end of Yoshi's Island DS, we get this adorable little guy here:
He's largely hinted at being the Yoshi we'll come to know and love later on, so that already begs the question of who the Yoshi in Smash really is. Is it the one Mario has befriended at present, or the one who helped him as a baby? It's not clear.
As for marketability... I think you make a valid point. However, the Kirby series heavily markets not just Bandanna Dee, but the entire Waddle Dee species, mostly due to just how cute it is. And hey, cute definitely sells, that's Kirby's bread and butter. Now, how that translates to Smash? Well... as you said, Isabelle did it, and I think the difference there is that Isabelle heavily needed some character contradiction to make her work. The only real fighting in Animal Crossing is hitting the villagers you don't like with your net. It's the fact of that, and that she's so heavily inspired from Villager without being an echo I think that rubbed people the wrong way.
As for using a Fire Emblem character instead... I can't really fight that. I have so little knowledge of the Fire Emblem series. Sure, it personally bothered me that it got so much attention, but to someone like you who's a fan of the series, who am I to say they shouldn't add more? That said, I can say that I personally think Fire Emblem has the same issue as Pokémon. Many of the characters in both series are important one day and replaced the next. It makes it hard to choose characters to properly represent the series. I mean, just look at the Pokémon that you brought up, Jigglypuff. You can't honestly tell me that she's got as much relevance today as she did in previous years. And this is coming from someone who's mained Jigglypuff... as well as it being their favorite Pokémon. As much as I like her, I cannot deny that she's not as big as she once was.

All in all, maybe I'm not sure what I'm trying to say. Sure, marketing Bandanna Dee can be hard, but that's true for any character. I'm sure when Nintendo first made Mario, they weren't sure how to market the now most popular video game character. I do concede to you that it won't be easy, but this is Smash, and Smash prides itself on making the best out of it's cast! All I can say to you is: Yes, Bandanna Dee has hurdles, but hurdles are made for jumping!

So, thanks for taking the time friend to listen to this long winded response. :)

Last edited:

Waddle_dude

Smash Cadet
I agree! Yoshi may not be the best example but lots of Pokémon, such as lucario, Greninja, jigglypuff and as much as it pains me to say bc I Main him, pichu are just generic. I agree these pokemon were chosen bc they were once popular or relevant Pokémon. I think mewtwo, pikachu and the Pokémon trainer alhave more iconic Pokémon. While the rest are just generic that average people probs won’t know the name of. So while waddle dees are generic bandana Waddle Dee has a lot more uniqueness to him than the other generic dees. He’s even a different color for crying out loud lol Kirby fans or people who have played more recent Kirby games will know who BWD is. It’s the same thing that goes to fire emblem characters before smash I had no idea who robin, Lucian Ike and Corrin were bc I don’t play those games. But they have fans and people were excited for these characters. I don’t understand why people who don’t want bandana dee in smash think that Kirby fans wouldn’t be excited for him the same way fire emblem fans get excited when they get another character that people don’t know. Idk maybe I’m jus rambling now too.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman

With all this said, I could be wrong. Crazier things have happened. People didn’t react to Isabelle, an incredibly popular character, very well due to her marketability as a character (at least I believe that). Most people were far more excited for Chrom just because he’s a cool *** dude with a sword. I think having a character with a spear is cool, but when the largest component of the initial post is dedicated to why he is relevant to a franchise to a forum full of gamers, doesn’t bode well with the possibility of public perception.

I think it's less the case that they're part of common species, and moreso that they're part of common species alongside having something to have them stand out. Yoshi has had his games, Bandana Dee has had his role within modern Kirby games and design, alongside being the signature user of the spear ability like Dedede is for hammer, Pikachu's the mascot of Pokémon, etc.

And besides, when it comes to marketability, just look at Japan where Kirby and Waddle Dee merch sell like hotcakes. And that massive popularity being mostly in Japan shouldn't pose much of a problem. We've had characters such as Marth, Roy, and Lucas whose games were only out in Japan when they made their smash debut. And even then, Kirby Star Allies so far has sold 1.5 million copies, with Europe and North America taking up about 60% of that. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse sold 580k copies, yet only 130k of those came from Japan (according to VGChartz). Bandana Dee has had prominent roles in both of these games, so I think it's safe to say that there'll be plenty of people who'll recognize him, eastern or not. And while you admittedly brought up marketability for the core gamer audience, while smash definitely helps for promotional material, I don't think it's all that important. Palutena was added in smash 4, after all, and I have my doubts that people decided to play Kid Icarus Uprising because of her. I very much think a decent portion got it because Pit was featured in Brawl beforehand (when Uprising wasn't even in anyone's mind yet). So I doubt marketability is really taken into many of the character choices. And even if it is, I think Dee's got enough going for him to be considered marketable, even if it's not as much as Simon and Richter.

I personally would prefer Dee over Ephraim, but I don't think they'd fight similar at all. Ephraim would probably be a more traditional spear fighter while Dee could use stuff like his helicopter move, split spear throw, as well as his parasol, items and transformations from Return to Dreamland and Rainbow Curse respectively, etc., giving him some unique twists

But in the end, that's just my take on it. I personally think that prior smash character inclusions alongside his roles and abilities have made it clear that Dee would make a lot of sense as a playable character.

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace

Okay, I'll give you the point that Yoshi has his own games, but in every single game where Yoshi appears, just about every single Yoshi functions exactly the same as the other Yoshis in the setting. In Yoshi's Island, each Yoshi takes one level to themselves, but all of them play identically and even have the same voice, the only difference being color. No random Yoshis have had natural wings, the only time Yoshi gets wings are when they eat Blue Koopa Shells in Super Mario World, and Yoshi can get wings in Super Mario 64 DS' multiplayer mode with a feather power up. The only time any Yoshi has functioned any differently for their color is in Yoshi's story, where the black and white Yoshis can eat spicy peppers and certain enemies without taking damage like other Yoshis, but that's it. And as Fancy Smash said, it's not really clear which Yoshi is the one in Smash-- it could be the one who escorted babies, it could be the Yoshi we saw hatch at the end of DS, heck, for all we know, Smash's Yoshi is as random as they come. We can't really tell, because Yoshi has no dialogue and there's absolutely no visual distinction between the main Yoshi and generic green Yoshis.

It also seems like you've completely missed our point about Bandana Dee being the fourth main character of Kirby's franchise these days. Bandana Dee appears on the box art of Return to Dream Land, in every cutscene in Return to Dream Land, and is a playable character. Bandana Dee also appears on the box art of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, appears in cutscenes, and is the only character besides Kirby who is playable in Rainbow Curse, et cetera. There's also the fact that besides his bandana and spear, Bandana Dee is a different color to most Waddle Dees. He's been such since at least Return to Dream Land, and has been depicted as this color in every artwork besides Star Allies since at least RtDL, and that plus his blue bandana make him easily recognizable compared to generic Waddle Dees. It's also worth noting that cute things tend to be highly marketable, especially cute things that can kill gods.

Bandana Dee has at least as much character as Yoshi and Jigglypuff, if not more than Jigglypuff, and a more unique appearance than Yoshi or any of the Pokémon characters when compared to the rest of their species. It's also worth noting that Bandana Dee has always been tougher than normal Waddle Dees-- the one time Kirby has ever fought him, his HP was insane. Most Dees die from a single hit from just about any of Kirby's attacks, Bandana Dee survives a brutal beatdown-- assuming you don't just inhale him, which he still somehow survives.

Also, people aren't as excited for Isabelle because it means they'll have to fight her at some point. Nobody wants to hurt the cute puppy. Chrom, on the other hand, was treated as a joke for years and finally got his chance to truly make a mark on Smash. People still have issues with him because he's yet another swordsman and people are getting sick of swordsmen, but he's still well-liked for his personality and he was always a sword-wielding warrior, whereas Isabelle is a pacifist who isn't even really trying to attack for the most part.

And to top it all off, it's not as if Bandana Dee and Ephraim are somehow mutually exclusive characters. Sure, two spear wielders aren't as unique as one, but considering there are two hammer-wielders so far and zero lancers period in Smash, getting two spear-users is a pretty great increase. I don't think many people would consider it a bad thing, especially with all the complaints about swordsmen. If anything, it'd be great for them both to get in, as Bandana Dee's style is heavily cartoonish, whereas Ephraim's style would obviously be more realistic.

No reason to hurt his friends... unless of course, he were to join the fray in Smash. Then it'd all be in good fun I'd imagine. :laugh:
But yeah, I imagine Bandana Dee would be the easiest to return to normal. Aside from Kirby of course, who, for obvious reasons, will never get possessed.

I could see that 10 spear toss be like a spear rain, he tosses them all up, jumps into the background, and lets them all fall while Kirby avoids them, since the 3D Kirby games really seem to be pushing the background in the fights more often. Inhaling him... I think for the sake of his expanded roll, the inhaling him thing would probably be removed, as at this point, he's a major character, and most games won't let you inhale major bosses. (For example, Kirby could inhale all three of his friends in RtDL, but that wouldn't happen in boss fights). But I could also see it happening for Easter Egg purposes.

I like the idea of him progressively trying to break free of what's possessing him as the course of the battle goes on, though in the end not being able too. Shows he's a closer friend of sorts than Dedede and Meta Knight. I think this could also work if they ever do Dededetour Returns, as it'd be hard for Bandana Dee to fight the king who's also his friend. As mentioned previously, inhaling him is a weird topic for sure. I could kinda see a small cutscene where Kirby inhales him, but it does no damage. Instead, Kirby bounces around for a few seconds, as Bandana Dee struggles to escape. Eventually doing so, he straightens his Bandana and turns to Kirby giving him a small glare, translating to something along the lines of "did you seriously think that'd work?"

I like all these ideas, they fit his character well. Plus, I think having a more serious boss fight, while calling back to his joke fight for at least part of the battle, could open people to the idea that he's no common mook.
I keep imagining the 10 Spears attack having BD jump in the background too. Maybe for a normal Triple Spear Throw, BD stays on the stage and you can interrupt his charge, but the 5/7/10 Spears would have him jump into the background and throw them into the foreground. But before we get Dededetour Returns, we need to get Dededetour Ultra! It's the naming theme, you see. Also, BD didn't have a problem siding against Dedede in Battle Royale, though I suppose that was a choice between Kirby and Dedede, while this would be BD forced to fight for evil and Dedede's still not exactly a villain, so it still works. And I did explicitly state that from Phase 2 onwards, Bandana Dee would be impossible to inhale.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Am I the only one who would like to see a Possessed Gooey fight?

11th

Smash Apprentice
I was initially thinking Kirby could simply refuse to inhale BD, but then going that route would really hurt the player if they're actually just trying to get their power back from a careless mistake.
He could just plant his spear to stop it from pulling him. Inhaling causing minor changes to the fight might be an interesting detail, but I'm not sure if it fits the playstyle that Kirby usually goes for. (i.e. Keep it simple and beginner friendly, but not too simple.)

I mean inherently, of course. It's one thing for friends to fight in a "safe" setting, like a challenge or mini-game, but it's another for them to go out of their way to start things during the main game.

Not to mention, Smash isn't exactly canon to every series featured. :b You aren't usually going to see the likes of Mario going toe-to-toe with Luigi or Peach, or Villager/Isabelle fighting anyone, and most Pokémon would never attack humans unless trained to. That's just the nature of Smash: You can make anyone fight anyone for any reason you want, regardless of how much sense it makes in canon.

ETA:
Also, BD didn't have a problem siding against Dedede in Battle Royale, though I suppose that was a choice between Kirby and Dedede, while this would be BD forced to fight for evil and Dedede's still not exactly a villain, so it still works.
It's worth noting that Battle Royale isn't canon. (And thankfully so, because there are a lot of things that contradict the main series.)

Though, since it has been brought up: It would be really interesting to see BanDee stuck between his loyalty to Dedede and friendship with Kirby at some point, even if I know it would probably never happen with HAL's current method of handling characters. In KSSU he had the excuse of not really knowing Kirby, but after teaming up with him in RtDL/Wii he probably realized that he wasn't all bad, and they've been shown as friends since.

Last edited:
Top Bottom