• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Yes I support! And since Kirby is mega underrepresented, why don't they pull a rep from each of the dream friends updates? Marx, Magolor, and Adeline & Ribbon anyone?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yes I support! And since Kirby is mega underrepresented, why don't they pull a rep from each of the dream friends updates? Marx, Magolor, and Adeline & Ribbon anyone?
Maybe we should just focus on getting Bandanna Dee in the game first haha. If we got that many Kirby newcomers in a single game, people would complain about Kirby being over-represented as much as they do for Fire Emblem.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Maybe we should just focus on getting Bandanna Dee in the game first haha. If we got that many Kirby newcomers in a single game, people would complain about Kirby being over-represented as much as they do for Fire Emblem.
I understand, but Kirby wouldn't be the only series getting newcomers. Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon would also get newcomers. But Kirby is a big Nintendo franchise, and certainly bigger than FE (If anything they should remove some FE fighters).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I understand, but Kirby wouldn't be the only series getting newcomers. Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon would also get newcomers. But Kirby is a big Nintendo franchise, and certainly bigger than FE (If anything they should remove some FE fighters).
they really should, give roy robin and corrin the boot

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
Well regardless of how many characters each series has, I do feel like it's about time Kirby got some of that spotlight again due to how active the series has been since Return to Dreamland came out.
Also while I'm not a big fan of the series I wouldn't mind a new Zelda character, too. Hadn't had a unique newcomer since Melee, whew.

give kerbe his best friendo

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Seems fair. Though I remember the last time Kirby was getting the "bias" card was in Brawl. :p

Besides, I don't think Rick, Adeline and co. will get much traction until Smash 6, but that'll be sometime in the next decade.

give kerbe his best friendo
Yes.

smash_ballots___kirby_by_dragonith-d8okq44.png

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
All throughout Rainbow Curse and Battle Royale Bandana Dee definitely had a voice. It was pretty similar to the Inkling noises too. Every Smash character has a voice, or at least sound effects that they make. If it ends up being the former, then I think Kirby could get a voice for him? But I doubt it, that lady is probably under an NDA like the others said. So who knows.

Well, there was that JP accolades trailer for Kirby Battle Royale that he (and Susie) hosted, and unless I'm wrong, that was the first time he's ever talked in audio (where we could hear him ACTUALLY talk in full sentences).

Still, I don't think anyone was ever able to confirm whether or not that was Makiko voicing him.
Yeah, is that video still up? It's probably the clearest instance of his voice that's not in-game.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I know one thing once Bandana Dee becomes playable I'm pre-ordering that amiibo asap and I might throw away/sell my standard Waddle Dee amiibo. I would have no use for it anymore. I was always a little salty they chose to give basic Waddle Dee an amiibo instead of Bandana Dee in the Kirby line..

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
I know one thing once Bandana Dee becomes playable I'm pre-ordering that amiibo asap and I might throw away/sell my standard Waddle Dee amiibo. I would have no use for it anymore. I was always a little salty they chose to give basic Waddle Dee an amiibo instead of Bandana Dee in the Kirby line..
Or you could keep the Waddle Dee amiibo and make some display where Bandana Dee lords over it

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
None of the Kirby characters have the traditional Kirby crouch slide, do they?

I think that would be a great tool for Dee. Imagine just sliding under stuff like Bayonetta, Megaman, and Corrin's giant smash attacks or Samus's full charge shot. Sounds very stylish.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424

I think that would be a great tool for Dee. Imagine just sliding under stuff like Bayonetta, Megaman, and Corrin's giant smash attacks or Samus's full charge shot. Sounds very stylish.
Yeah for some reason not even Kirby has the slide. Guess it'd be weird to change it now.

Anop

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry guys even if he doesn't make it to the base roster he will DEFINITELY make it on DLC. They just cannot ignore how popular he is..

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Don't worry guys even if he doesn't make it to the base roster he will DEFINITELY make it on DLC. They just cannot ignore how popular he is..
What's depressing is the fact that that was not the case for FE characters. They added them anyway and didn't give a rat's rear end about what we thought.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
you think some time next month we are getting something kirby related. I sure hope so. we've been waiting forever

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
you think some time next month we are getting something kirby related. I sure hope so. we've been waiting forever
I’m pretty Fountain of Dreams and Chef Kawasaki assist count (if you’re talking smash). If not, then you’re right.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
They will probably announce the third wave of Dream Friends in a month.
Maybe earlier.

I want my playable Space Egg.
and I want my eyeball abomination that totally didn't possess the Space Egg with some Crown thingy. Anyway, I think they're definitely going to announce it soon, the Switch Online thing's going live in September, there's no way we're not getting a direct to cover that, and that'd be the perfect timing to talk about Wave 3.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
If Sakurai actually makes Bandana Dee playable, I will never say the words "Sakurai bias" ever again, even if he adds more Green Greens remixes and a Kirby Air Ride stage.

and I want my eyeball abomination that totally didn't possess the Space Egg with some Crown thingy. Anyway, I think they're definitely going to announce it soon, the Switch Online thing's going live in September, there's no way we're not getting a direct to cover that, and that'd be the perfect timing to talk about Wave 3.
I hope we get more information in September, because I'm starving for news.

Last edited:

Nintykid

Smash Apprentice
Yes, but Sakurai can still go "b-but he's not a Kirby creation of mine, I have no right to touch him". It's one of these times you wish Kumazaki was directing instead.
Technically, he's been here since Super Star. So Bandana Dee is a Sakurai made character

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
It'd be a cool birthday gift for something Kirby related to be announced today, but that won't happen...

Waddle_dude

Smash Cadet
I keep having dreams that we get the bandana announcement trailer and then I wake and get sad lol

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
I keep having dreams that we get the bandana announcement trailer and then I wake and get sad lol
I remember having dreams like that as well, a little after Smash Ultimate's E3 segment. One of the dreams had the entirety of the Super Smash Flash 2 cast.
When I woke up after a dream like that I just checked the SSBU site only to be, expectedly, let out a sigh of "god dangit" (except for the one time with the SSF2 cast, then it was part a sigh of relief. I'd just feel very conflicted if that were to happen.)

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Not in Smash, but EVERY playable character in the Kirby series can use it. That said, I'd love for Bandana Waddle Dee to use the Slide Kick as his down tilt. He'd probably even get SO much mileage out of it since his crouch would most likely be identical to Kirby's.

All throughout Rainbow Curse and Battle Royale Bandana Dee definitely had a voice. It was pretty similar to the Inkling noises too. Every Smash character has a voice, or at least sound effects that they make. If it ends up being the former, then I think Kirby could get a voice for him? But I doubt it, that lady is probably under an NDA like the others said. So who knows.
Oh, yeah! That reminds me! I wanted to let everyone here know that we might FINALLY have a name to place with Bandana Waddle Dee's voice. Apparently, the vocalist of 'The Apple Juice Song' (i.e. Bandana Waddle Dee's image song) also voiced in him in that JP accolades trailer for Kirby Battle Royale and her name is... Miho Tsujibayashi.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I mentioned before but didn't get a response, how would you feel if Bandana Dee got some items from Return to Dreamland to help flesh out his moveset. I think they'd be a great way to differentiate his Smash attacks and tilts.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
I mentioned before but didn't get a response, how would you feel if Bandana Dee got some items from Return to Dreamland to help flesh out his moveset. I think they'd be a great way to differentiate his Smash attacks and tilts.
Hmm, could see it work. But for the cannon I'd like to see Bandana Dee's hatcannon from Rainbow curse over the actual cannon (EDIT: though they'd function identically). The boot could be fun to use, as well.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I had a dream about Bandana Dee's trailer lol.
I don't remember much, except this song was used in it:

I was so happy.
I hope Bandana Dee in Smash becomes a reality soon.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
If Bandana Dee is actually playable, I will never say the words "Sakurai bias" ever again, even if he adds more Green Greens remixes and a Kirby Air Ride stage.
Watch as he adds a stage named "Sakurai Bias" forcing you to say it's name. Stage features heavy amounts of Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus content along with his face in the background laughing as he buffs and nerfs characters at random.
I think that'd be pretty great, it's a good idea.
Hmm, could see it work. But for the cannon I'd like to see Bandana Dee's hatcannon from Rainbow curse over the actual cannon (EDIT: though they'd function identically). The boot could be fun to use, as well.
Imagine if his final smash was just a really big hat cannon that shot a laser like Ridley or K. Rool's lol.

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
I believe that BWD has a fairly solid shot of making it in, so I'd love to be excited for him, but having never really played any Kirby games, he just looks like a duckhead with a cap to me. Can any of you try and sell me on this character? He just doesn't really seem interesting to me.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
I'll legitimately shed tears if he's announced.
Yes. I said it.
Same here. And you can bet I’ll be playing... something on loop. Something of relief.
Like the ending to The Revenge of Meta Knight or something like that.

I believe that BWD has a fairly solid shot of making it in, so I'd love to be excited for him, but having never really played any Kirby games, he just looks like a duckhead with a cap to me. Can any of you try and sell me on this character? He just doesn't really seem interesting to me.
Bandana Dee’s pretty much a Blue Toad that has grown quickly into the Luigi to Kirby’s Mario. Appearing in nearly every Kirby game since Return to Dreamland. He’s helped out with items in Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot, and is the signature user of the Spear ability like Dedede is to hammer. (Note, Dee was still playable in Star Allies since launch despite spear not being available in that game.)
He’s get plenty of moves to pull from his spear alone (I mean he ****in’ helicopters with it that’s adorable), but he’s also known to have skills with the parasol (implied in robobot, confirmed in battle royale), which isn’t utilized outside of Peach and Daisy’s up-b’s.
If Rainbow Curse and Battle Royale are any indication, he’s Kirby’s closest ally. (Hell, neither Dedede nor Meta Knight appeared in the former outside of figurines) and has outside of his notable appearances, also been commonly depicted alongside Dedede and Meta Knight on the Stone Ability and promotional material, amongst other things. He even got his own image song with “The Apple Juice Song”. So he’s pretty much become the 4th main character of the Kirby Series at this point, despite his “dog named dog” name.

But back to moveset potential, and he’s got it in spades. I already mentioned his spear and parasol which are more than enough to build a simple moveset around, but if taking some creative liberties like SSF2 did, he could take some moves from Waddle Doos and use electric beams as well. Items from Return to Dreamland? Sure, why not? Transformations from Rainbow Curse? Throw em in too. I personally imagine Dee being a simple, but versatile fighter with plenty of tools at his disposal. Think King K. Rool but small and cute, as well as some extra utility through stuff like slowering his descend when his parasol is out, or long range disjoints that can either draw in opponents or knock them far back depending on from how far the spears go through em. Final Smash? He’s got options, but arguably the most popular option goes all the way back to his very first appearance in Kirby Super Star’s Megaton Punch, where he literally cracks miles into the ****ing planet.

To summarize, he has quickly become a main character and Kirby’s best friend, and has a deceptive amount of moveset potential despite his simple (and adorable) appearance.

Top Bottom