• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
That's obviously fake.

Mr. L makes zero sense as an unique character, a Luigi Echo or even as a pallete swap of Luigi.

Mario & Luigi Paper Jam already confirmed Mario and Paper Mario are different universes.
The only way Mr. L can happen is if Paper Luigi is playable, and that's obviously not going to happen.

Also, Marx, I'm sorry, but if a Kirby character that's not Bandana Dee gets in, it's going to be Magolor or maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Adeleine.
And that's extremely unlikely, Marx bandwagon started too late.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I keep having dreams that we get the bandana announcement trailer and then I wake and get sad lol
I had a similar thing with the pokemon where I had a dream that was definitely a Pokémon reveal trailer, but I woke up before I saw which one.

Anop

Smash Apprentice
That's obviously fake.

Mr. L makes zero sense as an unique character, a Luigi Echo or even as a pallete swap of Luigi.

Mario & Luigi Paper Jam already confirmed Mario and Paper Mario are different universes.
The only way Mr. L can happen is if Paper Luigi is playable, and that's obviously not going to happen.

Also, Marx, I'm sorry, but if a Kirby character that's not Bandana Dee gets in, it's going to be Magolor or maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Adeleine.
I know this is fake, I just posted it because of how hilarious his reasons are to reveal the characters to us

I know that it’s really unlikely to get both BWD and Marx but one can dream right?

Last edited:

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
Hey guys, sorry for being lazy, but what does the “Star Ally Deserves his Prize” reference? I keep seeing this line. Thanks in advance!

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
Magolor would be the most likely character after BD, yes.

HAL's been advertising his character for quite some time, and he's returned far more times than Marx. Marx is my 3rd most wanted Kirby rep at the moment, but BD and Magolor I can tell are league's above him in terms of probability.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Here is a moveset someone on twitter made of bandana waddle dee!

https://twitter.com/rariatoo/status/1034818926763433985
Love the artwork and the Spear-Parasol blend. The only thing I'll say is, I think it would be sort of a misstep to have Dee's Up-B be a rising parasol attack the way they propose, instead of using his signature Waddle Copter. It would be a bit too similar to Peach's Up-B when a better option exists imo.

Oh, and just wanted to say, I recently beheld the majesty that is Bandana Dee's Victory Dance in Rainbow Curse, and oh my goooooooood it's SO PRECIOUS.
(I have the video set to play when the victory dance starts)
When he does that little up-and-down dance move with his hands, my heart just melts (And now I reeeeeaally want it as one of his victory animations in Smash...). I just love this little guy so much.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Howdy! Add me as a supporter, please!

I'm a huge fan of Kirby, and while my favorite Kirby character is Marx, I understand that Bandanna Dee should take priority. Here's to seeing the fourth musketeer make his debut in Smash!

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
Love the artwork and the Spear-Parasol blend. The only thing I'll say is, I think it would be sort of a misstep to have Dee's Up-B be a rising parasol attack the way they propose, instead of using his signature Waddle Copter. It would be a bit too similar to Peach's Up-B when a better option exists imo.

Oh, and just wanted to say, I recently beheld the majesty that is Bandana Dee's Victory Dance in Rainbow Curse, and oh my goooooooood it's SO PRECIOUS.
(I have the video set to play when the victory dance starts)
When he does that little up-and-down dance move with his hands, my heart just melts (And now I reeeeeaally want it as one of his victory animations in Smash...). I just love this little guy so much.
How the heck can one boi be this pure

On a similar note, I personally just love the two little steps he makes near the end of his Star Allies victory dance. It's just so simple but christ.
I love it.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
On the subject of victory dances, I do hope that the next Kirby game has some new dance moves. Since Triple Deluxe, the dance moves in the main series has only been:
  • The Moonwalk
  • Jumping from side to side
  • The hand shimmy/the Wave
  • The cartwheels
And then the ending pose. I'll always love the Victory dance no matter what, but adding some new dance moves would be greatly appreciated. For Star Allies I can understand it given how many different characters there are, but a little variety would be nice. Well, at least Dedede has some dance moves of his own I suppose.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i wonder what stage would be his background on the website?

seeing as the apple juice song seems to be his unofficial theme tune to the fans an apple scramble stage would have been ideal, suppose itd be dream land 64 or fountain of dreams

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
i wonder what stage would be his background on the website?

seeing as the apple juice song seems to be his unofficial theme tune to the fans an apple scramble stage would have been ideal, suppose itd be dream land 64 or fountain of dreams
Hmmm...
Kirby, Meta Knight, and Dedede already have Green Greens, the Halberd, and the Great Cave Offensive respectively.

That leaves us with Dreamland 64, Fountain of Dreams, and Dreamland 3DS/GB as possibilities, assuming we don't get any new Kirby stages.
Honestly, it's tough to say. King Dedede for example didn't have too much to do with the GCO himself, so I feel like any of the three is possible.

HOWEVER, it should be mentioned that Donkey Kong and King K. Rool share the same stage on their character pages. So I personally feel like Great Cave Offensive has the greatest shot since Dee debuted in Super Star.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hmmm...
Kirby, Meta Knight, and Dedede already have Green Greens, the Halberd, and the Great Cave Offensive respectively.

That leaves us with Dreamland 64, Fountain of Dreams, and Dreamland 3DS/GB as possibilities, assuming we don't get any new Kirby stages.
Honestly, it's tough to say. King Dedede for example didn't have too much to do with the GCO himself, so I feel like any of the three is possible.

HOWEVER, it should be mentioned that Donkey Kong and King K. Rool share the same stage on their character pages. So I personally feel like Great Cave Offensive has the greatest shot since Dee debuted in Super Star.
yeah that seems about right

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
I recently filled out an old sketchbook, so I started up a new one. And I figured that there's no better way to start off a new sketchbook than filling up the first page with a bunch of good bois.
IMG_20180830_173715.jpg

I may have spent way too much time drawing this when I shoulda been doin homework. But when I finished one bandana boi, I just had to draw more.
Man, I never realized how fun it is to draw Bandana Dee! Hope these doodles tickle the fancies of ya'll!

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I recently filled out an old sketchbook, so I started up a new one. And I figured that there's no better way to start off a new sketchbook than filling up the first page with a bunch of good bois.
View attachment 160741
I may have spent way too much time drawing this when I shoulda been doin homework. But when I finished one bandana boi, I just had to draw more.
Man, I never realized how fun it is to draw Bandana Dee! Hope these doodles tickle the fancies of ya'll!
Cool! You're rather talented. And pretty quick, too. It took me days to produce just the one Bdee picture I drew, lol. Yours are all great, and there are tons!

How long did it take you, out of curiosity?

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Cool! You're rather talented. And pretty quick, too. It took me days to produce just the one Bdee picture I drew, lol. Yours are all great, and there are tons!

How long did it take you, out of curiosity?
Thank you very much!
Uh, lessee... I'd say I probably put at least an hour into this little collage, counting the time I spent coming up with ideas for different poses and such. I started last night, and I got a little finicky with some minor details before I posted it, so I'm not 100% sure. It could have been two hours for all I know, I have a pretty bad internal clock, haha. I originally intended to just draw one Bandana Dee, then one led to another, and then I had a whole page full of em, and I totally lost track of time, haha.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Thank you very much!
Uh, lessee... I'd say I probably put at least an hour into this little collage, counting the time I spent coming up with ideas for different poses and such. I started last night, and I got a little finicky with some minor details before I posted it, so I'm not 100% sure. It could have been two hours for all I know, I have a pretty bad internal clock, haha. I originally intended to just draw one Bandana Dee, then one led to another, and then I had a whole page full of em, and I totally lost track of time, haha.
Whoa...even at three or four hours, that's really fast! Especially including planning. From what I understand, that's the kind of speed real artists have.

Me, I'm just a hobbyist--I spend far too much time on one picture, refining the details. But I enjoy creating, and seeing the finished product.:)

Anyway, I guess I'm getting a bit off topic, lol. Love the drawings, and love the Dee!

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
View attachment 160741
Those are awesome, can I post them in the Bandana Brigade Twitter?

It's this one by the way: https://twitter.com/BandanaDeeSm4sh

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Whoa...even at three or four hours, that's really fast! Especially including planning. From what I understand, that's the kind of speed real artists have.

Me, I'm just a hobbyist--I spend far too much time on one picture, refining the details. But I enjoy creating, and seeing the finished product.:)

Anyway, I guess I'm getting a bit off topic, lol. Love the drawings, and love the Dee!
Haha, believe me I can relate. When I work on something kinda big, I tend to spend a bunch of time going back and adding/cleaning up a bunch of details. It's really satisfying when you create a picture that you think turned out really well, isn't it?
Thank you again for your kind words!

Those are awesome, can I post them in the Bandana Brigade Twitter?

It's this one by the way: https://twitter.com/BandanaDeeSm4sh
Thanks! And sure thing, feel free to post it.

Last edited:

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 160741
Oh goodness
I freaking love it!

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Big rant ahead scroll with caution

I recently looked around social media and came across a detractor who ask "what makes him more special than Dark matter, or Adeline?". That does raise a good question as to his merits. My thoughts on that though; is he's a turning point for the Kirby franchise. Besides Kirby he is Modern Kirby's mascot. If it's not clear enough Nintendo them selves have made him a main stay unlike Dark Matter. The MAIN Kirby villain who has appeared as the main antagonist 3 (4?) times. Otherwise they could have just replaced him. But ultimately what I think happend is the Kirby fans. I think we loved him so much so that he became a main stay. I think more so the newer/younger fans really got attached to him. He became more of the little sibling character. He Became the perfect enigma for little brother who wanted to hang out with his older siblings. Bandana Dee fit too much in to that roll and I think that's why that's not going to change any time soon

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
How the heck can one boi be this pure

On a similar note, I personally just love the two little steps he makes near the end of his Star Allies victory dance. It's just so simple but christ.
I love it.
Meta Knight doing the moon walk? Never before did I want something so much in my life without knowing it until I actually got it.

StormC

Smash Hero
I didn't see this post before haha.

That guy also made a moveset for Crash and Porky.
Here is the amount of likes they have at the moment:

Crash: 361
Porky: 126
Bandana Dee: 1978

The Dee is popular in Japan!
The fact that Sakurai specified Dark Samus being popular overseas and Chrom being popular in Japan gives me hope he will add Bandana Dee with his overwhelming Japanese popularity.

Also: had another Dee dream, this time he was deconfirmed... by being part of New Donk City like Toad.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
I want Bandana Dee so badly ever since I've played Return to Dreamland. You can add me to the supporter's list. Hopefully he makes it in this time, he's just way too cute to be left out another time. We seem to be in a good position though because Sakurai focuses on fan favorites this time and Dee is amongst the most wanted luckily.

Maikou

Smash Ace
What's depressing is the fact that that was not the case for FE characters. They added them anyway and didn't give a rat's rear end about what we thought.
Actually, Roy returned in Smash 4 because of his popularity, and Sakurai was pretty hesitant to add Corrin before he was assured that Corrin would be a pretty unique fighter. Even then, he was still pretty hesitant.
That's actually pretty similar to an idea for a trailer I have, and the animation is pretty great for something fan-made. A bit of refinement and I could see that as part of BD's actual trailer.

Speaking of, I've got ideas, and I NEED to write them out. Maybe this'll help me get back into general writing, too.

In a forest clearing, a powerful hit is heard as Kirby is knocked away from the screen into DK's arms, with Meta Knight standing nearby. Diddy Kong gets launched towards Meta Knight, but Meta Knight casually teleports around the monkey only to get smacked by K.Rool. Suddenly, we cut to the thick of the woods as Koopas and Kremlings are knocked away, and we briefly glimpse a clump of golden hair with a small star in the background. Back at the clearing, as the primates and puffballs fight K.Rool, the big croc suddenly defeats DK with a decisive punch, knocking the big ape into a tree. Diddy rushes to check on him as Kirby and Meta Knight stand up to K.Rool, but a terrifying screech is heard as Ridley ambushes the puffballs. Meta Knight barely evades, but Kirby is caught in Ridley's claws as K.Rool rushes at the Kongs. Meta Knight's Dimensional Cape brings him up to Ridley, but the space pirate anticipates his move and tail-smacks the knight away.

As K.Rool approaches the Kongs, he is suddenly smacked away by a blonde ponytail. Ridley prepares to scrape Kirby across the ground, but before he can, a powerful punch lands on his back, flattening him across the ground and freeing Kirby from his grasp. K.Rool recovers and looks up to see Dixie Kong spinning in place for a moment. The monkey girl stops, and flips her hair out of her face as she stands between K.Rool and the other Kongs.

Dixie Kong Quests Smash!

The other newcomer lands as Ridley stirs. Bandana Dee twirls his spear and enters a fighting stance, standing protectively in front of Kirby.

Bandana Dee Waddles In!

The screen splits, Bandana Dee and Dixie stare down the reptillian rogues with determination.

(cue gameplay montage)

(after gameplay montage)

With K.Rool and Ridley defeated, it is time for a classic victory dance. DK prepares his Bongos as Diddy and Dixie ready their guitars. The Kongs play a victorious fanfare as Kirby, Meta Knight, and Bandana Dee dance their own ways, ending with a group pose in front of the Kongs. As the scene fades, the two newcomers cheerfully wave to the camera.

In a familiar old arena, Little Mac greets the crowd as he prepares for his first round in Megaton Punch. As he notices his oddly undersized opponent waving to the audience, he becomes confident in his victory. After the two competitors took their places and were given the sign to begin, Mac hits the ground with a punch that breaks apart his platform and cracks the earth beneath him a good few feet. But as his tiny opponent slams his fist into the target, Mac suddenly blasts straight up into the air as we zoom out to see Popstar crack straight through the middle from one end to the other. Zooming back in, we see a small letter flutter gently down to the one who sent Little Mac sky high. as the remains of the smaller one's platform continues to rain down.

Meanwhile, in the Boxing Ring....

Kirby and Dedede were having another dramatic showdown. As they exchange blows, Dedede eventually knocks Kirby away, dazing the pink puffball. As the king rushes in to finish him, a spear suddenly lands in front of him, as if attempting to defend Kirby. Then, the spear's wielder lands in the ring, retrieving his weapon and twirling it as he takes a fighting stance.

Bandana Waddle Dee Spears In!

(cue gameplay montage)

(after gameplay montage)

As Dedede lays dededefeated in the ring, Kirby and Bandana Dee share their classic victory dance. Suddenly, a scream is heard as Little Mac crashes into the ring, landing on Dedede. Kirby stares in confusion, glancing between Mac and Bandana Dee, the latter sheepishly rubbing his head.

Statistics:

Jumps: Two
Jump Height: First jump, same as Kirby, second jump, same as Mario.
Fall Speed: Same as Mario.
Weight: Same as Meta Knight.
Walk Speed: Same as Kirby.
Dash Speed: Slightly faster than Kirby.

Ground Attacks:

Neutral: Rapid spear jab. Like Meta Knight, Bandana Dee doesn't do "standard attacks". Rapid hits: 1% per hit. Finisher: 3%
Side Tilt: A quick spear thrust forward. 7%
Up Tilt: A quick spear thrust upward. 7%
Down Tilt: The classic Kirby slide kick. 5%
Dash Attack: a trip-tackle like Dedede's. 6%

Smash Attacks:

Forward: Bandana Dee twirls his spear before unleashing a powerful thrust. Can be tilted. Uncharged, 15%. Charged, 19%
Down: Bandana Dee thrusts forward and then backward with his spear, tilted downward. Uncharged, 12%. Charged, 16%
Up: Bandana Dee twirls his spear before unleashing a powerful upward thrust. Uncharged, 13%. Charged, 17%

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral: Somersaults with his spear outstretched. Body/handle, 3%. Tip, 7%
Forward: A quick forward thrust. 14%
Down: Bandana Dee puts his spear under him, then drops quickly. 11%
Up: A quick upward thrust. 12%
Back: A quick reverse thrust. 12%

Grab attacks:

Pummel: Quick headbutts. 2%
Forward Throw: Spins foe on his parasol, then flings them forward. 6%
Back Throw: Spins foe on his parasol, then flings them backward. 6%
Up Throw: Spins foe on his parasol, then flings them straight up. 7%
Down Throw: Slams foe on ground before hopping while spinning his parasol below him, launching them when Bandana Dee lands again. 8%

Special Attacks:

Neutral: Spear Throw. Bandana Dee tosses one spear. Charge the move to throw three at once. 8% per spear. Middle/single spear can pin foes

Side: Parasol Drill. Bandana Dee rushes forward a short distance with his parasol. Can be held for Parasol Shield, blocking most projectiles. Individual hits, 2%. Finisher hit, 5%. Parasol Shield: 2% per hit, no finisher. If held in midair, can slow your descent and protect you slightly from attacks above, but doing this prevent you from using Spearcopter.

Down: Two-ton Punch. When used on the ground, hold button to charge up. When used in the air, the distance you fall determines its power. Can Meteor Smash if you land directly on foes from midair, which will cancel the move, but if you miss, you can't cancel. Bandana Dee punches the ground with great force, causing stars to appear on either side of him with a small shockwave that extends slightly further than the stars. Uncharged/low to ground, 3%, no stars (but can trip). half charged/further from the ground, 10% per star, 6% from shockwave. Fully charged/very high, 16% per star, 12% from shockwave.

Up: Spearcopter. A chargeable recovery move like Diddy's Rocketbarrel Jetpack, Bandana Dee spins his spear above his head very quickly. A fully-controllable recovery like Villager's balloons. When your time runs out, Bandana Dee will twirl slower and begin falling, not as fast as normal, but not as slow as Peach with her own parasol. Deals 1.5% damage per hit.

Other Attacks:

Getting up: Jabs his spear forward, then kicks backward. First hit, 5%, second hit, 3%

Ledge attack: A quick spear poke. 3%.

Final Smash: Megaton Punch.

Bandana Dee charges forward a set distance, capturing all foes he hits in a cinematic attack. Re-enacting the Megaton Punch minigame, foes are forced to stand right next to Bandana Dee's platform as he performs flawlessly in the minigame, cracking Popstar and sending all foes flying. (FS Meter version could have Bandana Dee re-enact his performance in the actual games as a visual illustration of the FS Meter resulting in weaker Final Smashes).

Note: I went with this version of the Final Smash because there's not much else that fits Bandana Dee's character, and concerning how it actually works, while I want to have it be an actual gameplay re-enactment of Megaton Punch, where YOU have to press the button with the right timing, I'm not sure how well that works in practice given Ultimate's "streamlined" Final Smashes, and without making it encompass the entire stage in a one-hit KO, I'm not sure how it could work any other way on stages like Palutena's Temple or New Pork City.

Idle Animations:

1: Stretches tiredly

2: Examines spear in awe.

Taunts:

Up: An extremely shortened version of the "moonwalk" dance victory animation.
Side: Twirls spear before holding it over his head intimidatingly.
Down: Tightens his bandana.

Victory Animations:

1: Signature Kirby dance.

2: Hovers with his spear for second, before dropping and striking a pose.

3: Tries a spear-vault kick, but falls on his rear. Inspired a little bit by one of Toon Link's win poses.

Including Dixie in my first trailer idea was mostly an on-the-spot thing I just made up to make things a bit more unique and interesting. After all, we've never had a single trailer reveal multiple newcomers from different franchises, and with the villainous theme going on, I kinda wanted more of a heroic feeling to add some more light back to Smash Ultimate. And while I'm not active on her support thread, I do kinda want Dixie in, if only to throw DKC fans another bone.

Second one's been floating in my mind for a while, I just never got around to writing it. hopefully this'll help me with writing more actual stories too. And I chose the moves I did for Bandana Dee to ensure he was close to canon as possible while still having a full, fun moveset. I think that having three throws start with the same animation would be amazing for mindgames, because you can only tell it's not down throw, and it's how the Circus Throw worked in Super Star. I kinda wanted to give BDee the same Up and Down throws as Kirby and Meta Knight because, well, those two both have them, but I think the parasol-based throws make more sense, canon-wise, and it makes him more unique. A lot of the basic attacks are what you expect, but, I mean, everyone here's movesets basically amount to just tweaking the same basic moveset from Return to Dreamland onwards to fit into Smash.

Anop

Smash Apprentice
Someone told me that Sakurai tweeted back in 2015 about how Waddle Dee is just as important or even more important than Meta Knight and King Dedede in recent titles, THAT GIVES ME A LOT OF HOPE! (Hope they weren't lying to me tho lol)

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Someone told me that Sakurai tweeted back in 2015 about how Waddle Dee is just as important or even more important than Meta Knight and King Dedede in recent titles, THAT GIVES ME A LOT OF HOPE! (Hope they weren't lying to me tho lol)
I would like to have a source for that haha.

Maybe he was referring to the time Sakurai retweeted fanart of Kirby, Meta Knight, Dedede and Bandana Dee for the 20th Anniversary.
I saw it with my own eyes years ago, but I think that he deleted it or something because it's not there anymore.

He also retweeted this:

You can see Bandana Dee in there.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Considering how each fighter has their own specific matchups for Classic mode, who could you see Bandana Dee face or be included in the Classic modes for existing fighters?

One idea I had is for for him to team up with Kirby against a giant enemy or in a 2v2, possibly with the tag line “Helping a Friend” or “Help from a Friend”, depending on whether you’re playing as Bandana Dee or Kirby, respectively.

(Also, add me to the supporter list, please)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Support.

May as well complete the Main 4. That and Bandana Dee would be unique in the fact he's the first "common enemy" character in the roster.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Support.

May as well complete the Main 4. That and Bandana Dee would be unique in the fact he's the first "common enemy" character in the roster.
While he is the only character to be based on an enemy, most people use the “common enemy” part as the main argument against him, pretty much completely ignoring any merits he has, like being a main character of Kirby or being the only spear user.

Last edited:
Top Bottom