• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
While he is the only character to be based on an enemy, most people use the “common enemy” part as the main argument against him, pretty much completely ignoring any merits he has, like being a main character of Kirby rom being the only spear user.
Which I think is pretty dumb. Him being an "common enemy" in the roster as said is what would make him unique.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I would like to have a source for that haha.

Maybe he was referring to the time Sakurai retweeted fanart of Kirby, Meta Knight, Dedede and Bandana Dee for the 20th Anniversary.
I saw it with my own eyes years ago, but I think that he deleted it or something because it's not there anymore.

He also retweeted this:

You can see Bandana Dee in there.
look at kirby in that hat, aww

Gigi14

Smash Rookie
Hey it's Gigi from the Discord. I made an account here just to post in this thread and support the Bandana Boy.

To be honest, I didn't vote for him back in the Smash Ballot, because I thought it wasn't the time for him yet. But now I think his chances are pretty high, and he REALLY deserves to be playable.

I remember when I first played Return to Dream Land in 2011 I wonder who was that random Waddle Dee that was made playable (of course, later I realized it was the same one from Revenge of the King). I never imagined he would grow so much in the years after that. I'm so proud of him! If Kirby gets a new rep in Ultimate, it has to be him, there's just no way.

I am being hopeful but not too hopeful, but I really think HAL has been hinting on his inclusion. The roster was finished in 2015. Let's see the Kirby games with BWD after that...

- In 2016, Planet Robobot was released, and when tapping the Waddle Dee amiibo Kirby would get a custom Parasol Abiliity. Sure, Spear wasn't in the game, but they could have had it to keep consistency... Yet they decided not to, and even made an unique design for the Parasol, they could've gone with just a recolor or something.

- In 2017, Team Kirby Clash Deluxe was released, and Bandana Waddle Dee was given the most dialogue. Also, he mentions for the first time "It would be great if I could get a prize too...".

- In 2017 Battle Royale was also released, and BWD was Kirby's partner. Interestingly enough, he uses Parasol, even though Spear is in the game, and it's the same custom Parasol from Robobot.

- In 2018, Star Allies was released. He's the first Dream Friend to be available, and was there from the start along with King Dedede and Meta Knight. Also, the pause screen descriptions about him, that again mention he deserves a prize. Later I think I'll post here again to analize them more, because the way they worded them is very interesting (although I guess it's just a translation, actually I'd love to know how it's worded in the original Japanese).

Anyway this is only about the Kirby games, there are the things outside of them too. In fact, he most likely got many votes in the Ballot, mainly from Japan, so he has lots of things in his favor.

In short, I hope he's in, and I think he has a good chance this time around. I don't think he's a lock, but at the same time I'll be really surprised if he's not playable in the end.

Oh, and please put me in the supporters list! I support this fellow Dee a lot.

11th

Smash Apprentice
Before anyone gets too excited over that: It's fake. The lighting on Dee doesn't match what we've seen on Battlefield. (Specifically, the rim lighting is completely missing.) I'd look for the source for the background, but there's too much footage from the demos to comb through.

For Reference.

Maikou

Smash Ace
And this is part of why I'm not fond of leaks and try to ignore them. More often than not they're fake, and it hurts to get your hopes up over nothing. I generally try to be an optimist, but "leaks" are the one thing I'm okay being cynical of.

It would be adorable if Bandana Dee is in and that's one of his taunts, but apparently that picture is fake. Even if it isn't, Sakurai has stated we'll be learning the full roster before launch, so leaks are pointless.

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
When do you guys think he's gonna reveal the last characters? I mean when will we know the final roster?
Most likely before the end of October. It would seem like too much of a time crunch to reveal the entire roster in November, but I could be wrong.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
When do you guys think he's gonna reveal the last characters? I mean when will we know the final roster?
Guessing mid-late november myself. Reveal one or two last hype characters (guessing Isaac, maybe Geno) in a shorter smash direct to get everyone really excited for release, which would be only a few weeks from release. (Since I believe in a general september direct before the 21st and a robin-esque reveal trailer in October)
With how the majority of Ultimate's news is being revealed in less than half a year time, I can see this happening.

Waddle_dude

Smash Cadet
I’ve brought this point up before but I can see him revealing some fighters in the smash blog instead of fullblow trailers for less hype characters. I would prefer bandana dee get the star treatment with his own trailer in a direct but I wouldn’t be mad if we just got him revealed on the website with his gameplay video.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
I’ve brought this point up before but I can see him revealing some fighters in the smash blog instead of fullblow trailers for less hype characters. I would prefer bandana dee get the star treatment with his own trailer in a direct but I wouldn’t be mad if we just got him revealed on the website with his gameplay video.
thats a bit of a low blow. hes just as important as any other character and giving him the shot end of the stick is no way to treat him. Japan is super crazy about kirby and i can bet my bottom dollar He WILL get a trailer, don't throw that hope away just because people from the west are indifferent to kirby content.

Anop

Smash Apprentice
I don't think he's gonna do that. At most, he would do that with some echoes but I still doubt it

Waddle_dude

Smash Cadet
thats a bit of a low blow. hes just as important as any other character and giving him the shot end of the stick is no way to treat him. Japan is super crazy about kirby and i can bet my bottom dollar He WILL get a trailer, don't throw that hope away just because people from the west are indifferent to kirby content.
No I agree he deserves his full blown trailer and all the respect. But all I’m saying is at this point I just want him in the game and I don’t care how he gets announced. I do think he has enough fans to be the character that opens a direct with for sure.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
So now that Ridley and K. Rool are both here, are Bandana Dee and Geno the duo that take their place as most wanted?

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
I'd say that the frontrunners are, in no particular order:
  1. Banjo-Kazooie
  2. Geno
  3. Bandana Dee
  4. Isaac
And then a few others like Dixie and Skull Kid who have pretty large fanbases themselves. Especially in the case of the former since many K. Rool fans are becoming more vocal in their support for Dixie now that we've got our croc.

I get the feeling that we're going to get at least one "sleeper pick" of sorts though. Y'know, like the kind that don't show up super often in Smash speculation, but are respectably popular in the fanbase and would make sense? I'd consider characters like Rayman, Elma, or a Rhythm Heaven character to be like that, since they come up from time to time but aren't talked about quite as much as the above mentioned.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'd say that the frontrunners are, in no particular order:
  1. Banjo-Kazooie
  2. Geno
  3. Bandana Dee
  4. Isaac
And then a few others like Dixie and Skull Kid who have pretty large fanbases themselves. Especially in the case of the former since many K. Rool fans are becoming more vocal in their support for Dixie now that we've got our croc.

I get the feeling that we're going to get at least one "sleeper pick" of sorts though. Y'know, like the kind that don't show up super often in Smash speculation, but are respectably popular in the fanbase and would make sense? I'd consider characters like Rayman, Elma, or a Rhythm Heaven character to be like that, since they come up from time to time but aren't talked about quite as much as the above mentioned.
I agree! My personal guess for the sleeper character is Shantae and or Lip myself. I still think we'll get 8 more newcomers; with reckless naivety.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Bandana Dee and Skull Kid are all I need, and I high hopes for both. (probably not wise, but oh well)

Waddle_dude

Smash Cadet
So the guy who creates the image leak came and said he faked them, I had a hunch they weren’t real to begin with but they were also very believable. I have to say I’m glad it turned out to be fake bc BWD wasn’t one of the leaks lol.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Personally, Bandana Dee is the one character that I really want to make the Smash Ultimate roster feel complete. If you look at all the main series represented in Smash, they mostly feel pretty well represented to me.

-Mario isn't really missing anyone especially important. Waluigi would be cool, but he's arguably a pretty minor character. Same with Geno. Both would be awesome, but I'd argue that Mario has all the representation it needs to feel 'complete' and more characters would simply be icing on the cake.
-Zelda, while it definitely would appreciate more characters, really doesn't need more than the three triforce holders to represent the series as a whole. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely want characters like Skull Kid in (probably my second most wanted newcomer, behind Bandana Dee), but Skull Kid isn't significant enough to the Zelda series as a whole for the Smash roster to feel lacking without it.
-Metroid, while definitely lacking in previous games, feels very well represented in this one, considering it's gotten two newcomers
-Pokemon has so many characters at this point, and its not lacking any especially important Pokemon, so while I definitely want more Pokemon reps (RIP Mimikyu), it's completely fine without them
-Donkey Kong feels a little incomplete without Dixie, but its hard to complain considering we just got K Rool, which filled a big gap.
-Fire Emblem doesn't really have all the diverse weapon types of its games, but it has so many characters at this point that it's fine without any more newcomers.
-Earthbound could definitely use a new character like Porky or Ninten, but Lucas and Ness seem fine to represent the series (though I must admit I don't know that much about Earthbound, so I could be wrong).
-Star Fox and F-Zero both seem fine with the representation they have (though again, I'm not super familiar with these series)
-And the rest of the more minor series all seem fine

In my opinion, Bandana Dee seems to be the one glaring omission. While Kirby was fine with only three characters at the time of Brawl and maybe Smash 4, at this point Bandana Dee is such a major character that I think it's needed to complete the Kirby representation. This is all just my opinion, and I could be wrong about the representation of these series, but from my point of view, it seems like Bandana Dee is the last major character we need.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I hope we get a Direct this month for the Switch online service and all that.

A Direct with Smash news and playable Bandana Dee :yeahboi:

xNaz

Smash Cadet
Something interesting to point out is that not a single leak has made mention of this character being in or not. Not that I take any leaks seriously but it's just something I noticed.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Personally, Bandana Dee is the one character that I really want to make the Smash Ultimate roster feel complete. If you look at all the main series represented in Smash, they mostly feel pretty well represented to me.

-Mario isn't really missing anyone especially important. Waluigi would be cool, but he's arguably a pretty minor character. Same with Geno. Both would be awesome, but I'd argue that Mario has all the representation it needs to feel 'complete' and more characters would simply be icing on the cake.
ill have you know one of the most important mario characters is missing in smash

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
The Great King Dedede is the character of the day!

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
I had a dream last night about a Smash trailer.. The title of it was "Mook, Mook, Mook." It started off on a giant plateau island in the middle of the ocean, with Kirby, King Dedede, and Meta Knight reaching the top of a hill. The camera was facing their faces, and panned to what they what they were looking at. In front of them it was a massive construction site-like area above the ocean with giant beams everywhere. The camera flew through the maze of the beams, with different characters atop of them. Some were Octoroks, Goombas, and even regular Waddle Dees.

Eventually the camera focused on one specific beam, which appeared to have something hiding behind it. You could see fragments of a bandana, and even the orange skin/pale face. The dream ended there, but I assume what happened next was the figure hops out from behind revealing itself to be BD, having his intro card, and then going to gameplay.

Really weird dream. I guess it was based off of the generic enemy argument, but it wasn't mean-spirited in any way.

GoombaSSB

Smash Rookie
I guess it was based off of the generic enemy argument.
I really hate that argument. It's not even a valid argument. I thought that dream was sick. And even though he is based off a generic game enemy we don't really have anything quite like that in the game! I support BD more than ever just because of the argument (Petty I know). He's adorable anyway. Clear the way for best boi Sakurai. :laugh:

smashkirby

Smash Hero

I don't know what it is, but something about Sakurai once again reminding us all just WHY King Dedede flies today is giving me a warm feeling of *Melee-nostalgia* right now.

Like, I know it's really weird, but it just gives me neat memories of reading up on his Melee trophy, anxiously awaiting his confirmation for Brawl (and let me tell you all, I was a HARDCORE Dedede supporter pre-Brawl).

*BTW, I think Triple D's Melee trophy was the first time we got a clear explanation as to why King Dedede suddenly began to fly around like Kirby during the fight in Kirby's Adventure.

Last edited:

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
Oh ya bros I had a thought today that might also point to Dee's chances that I haven't seen mentioned. Krystal being an assist trophy. Sakurai has basically thrown the relevancy point out the window in Ultimate with the inclusion of King K and the Belmonts. That means Krystal could have definitely had a chance. Before her assist trophy reveal she had pretty good popularity and on top of that she had unique moveset potential being an ice staff/spear user. So if Sakurai wanted she could have definitely been added but yet she wasn't.

What I'm getting at is Krystal was probably one of the biggest competitors Dee had in terms of potential spear users for Smash as she herself uses a very similar weapon to Dee. It also seems highly unlikly Sakurai is gonna be adding any spear using Fire Emblem characters going into this game and the next FE game won't even be a factor until it's released. Dee is currently the best choice for a potential spear user to enter Smash as all his potential competition seems to be gone or have very little presence. Sakurai's biggest priority with characters is whether or not they could bring a unique moveset to the Smash roster, being able to do something no other character in the roster can do. And Dee definitely has that since he could potentially be the first spear user in Smash and no other spear characters really can compare to him currently.

Last edited:

Vingag

Smash Apprentice

-Zelda, while it definitely would appreciate more characters, really doesn't need more than the three triforce holders to represent the series as a whole. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely want characters like Skull Kid in (probably my second most wanted newcomer, behind Bandana Dee), but Skull Kid isn't significant enough to the Zelda series as a whole for the Smash roster to feel lacking without it.
-Metroid, while definitely lacking in previous games, feels very well represented in this one, considering it's gotten two newcomers
-Pokemon has so many characters at this point, and its not lacking any especially important Pokemon, so while I definitely want more Pokemon reps (RIP Mimikyu), it's completely fine without them
-Donkey Kong feels a little incomplete without Dixie, but its hard to complain considering we just got K Rool, which filled a big gap.
-Fire Emblem doesn't really have all the diverse weapon types of its games, but it has so many characters at this point that it's fine without any more newcomers.
-Earthbound could definitely use a new character like Porky or Ninten, but Lucas and Ness seem fine to represent the series (though I must admit I don't know that much about Earthbound, so I could be wrong).
-Star Fox and F-Zero both seem fine with the representation they have (though again, I'm not super familiar with these series)
-And the rest of the more minor series all seem fine

In my opinion, Bandana Dee seems to be the one glaring omission. While Kirby was fine with only three characters at the time of Brawl and maybe Smash 4, at this point Bandana Dee is such a major character that I think it's needed to complete the Kirby representation. This is all just my opinion, and I could be wrong about the representation of these series, but from my point of view, it seems like Bandana Dee is the last major character we need.
I agree that Bandana Dee is the major missing character from Kirby (I have plenty of Kirby wants, but before we can get someone like Dark Matter or Animal Friends we need Bandana Dee).
Mario is missing both Toad/Captain Toad, but also Paper Mario. Despite being another version of Mario, he'd have a completely different moveset and would represent the RPG-based Mario games in a great way.
-Zelda: One of my arguments for having a third Mario is the fact that there are THREE LINKS. More so: Right now we don't have any indication that these three Links are that different from one another. For this alone, I don't think we're getting another Zelda rep. If we did, my vote would be with Tetra/Toon Zelda or Impa.
-Metroid: Agree. I'm also wracking my brain trying to figure out who else we could get as a Metroid rep. Plenty of Boss options, not a lot of playable options.
-Pokemon: Agree. I think once we get more information about Gen 8, or once the two new Pokemon movies come out (Detective Pikachu staring Ryan Reynolds, and the other one) we'll probably get a Pokemon DLC. But I'm not sure if we'll get a new one for the base roster (RIP Eevee).
Donkey Kong: Agree.
-Fire Emblem: Agree. There are a lot of other characters in FE than sword fighters, but I don't think we'll get them.
-Earthbound: Earthbound/Mother is missing a few major characters, both of whom you named. Ninten is the protagonist of the first game and would complete the Mother Protagonist Trifecta. Porky can be considered the primary antagonist of the series, as he's one of the few recurring characters and plays a big part in both Mother 3 and Earthbound (Though Giygas is the true Big Bad of the mother series, Porky would serve as a good third rep).
- Star Fox is fine. F-Zero is another series that I think could use more fighters, however I think the fact that the F-Zero series has sort of died is what's keeping more characters from entering.
-There's plenty more retro and historical representatives that could and probably should show up.

But, your point is the importance of Bandana Dee and the fact that the roster feels incomplete without him. I agree. 100%. It also seems strange as even back with Kirby 64 (and I believe even before that) Bandana Dee/Waddle Dee was getting a protagonist treatment, so it's not even that BD represents modern Kirby. It's that BD is the fourth protagonist and if we want full Kirby representation, we need Bandana Dee.

Okay, enough from me now.

puppylover416

Smash Cadet

I'm a Dedede main, so this makes me happy!

D

Deleted member

Ever since Star Allies started introducing Dream Friends I've been seeing a handful of people take a left turn on Bandanna Dee support. Mainly because they think characters like Marx would be so much cooler that they start to disregard all of Bandanna Dee's merits in favor of who they personally want. Even though both the return of such characters, and the desire to see them in Smash, came out of nowhere at a time when the final roster was more than decided upon.

Personally the whole Mirror abilities thing has made me interested in Dark Meta Knight, but I still think Bandanna Dee is the most likely new Kirby character and one that I am in support of.

Top Bottom