• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
There's a good amount of people that feel he's too close to a lowly minion than a full-fledged character for smash.
Obviously if you played the games he's in, he feels like an ally, so usually it's people who haven't played those games.
No, the real problem with Bandana Dee is the threat he poses to the Smash cast. He’d be super op as according to the weapons triangle, Spears beat swords, so all the Fire Emblem characters would be demolished by him, so to keep the game balanced the fans have decided to rally against him.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I'll do you one better: This one guy I work with, who also follows Smash, seriously thought Bdee would simply be an echo of Kirby. And he said it so casually, like he didn't even consider how Bdee could be unique. Granted, he's more of a fairweather fan, and never played Kirby before, but that just goes to show what casual opinions of the Dee are like.

Of course, I set him straight, lol. Suggested he watch some gameplay videos of the Dee in action, to see just why an Echo isn't possible. Because all you have to do is watch one minute of Bdee attacking to see he's nothing like Kirby OR Meta Knight.
Yep, an echo of Kirby... using copy ability... without a visible mouth.

I swear, those kinds of opinions born in disinterest/ignorance/irrational hate are really dangerous. It happens with just about any potential newcomer, and new fans looking to enter the speculation scene will start to think those opinions are fact if they look in the wrong places.

They'll start to think that Dee just harmlessly hangs onto a spear for show like he's Falcondorf, Isaac is a generic swordsman, Geno is a Mii Gunner clone, Banjo
& Kazooie are just a Duck Hunt clone, and Skull Kid can't do anything but scream and bring down the moon.

No, the real problem with Bandana Dee is the threat he poses to the Smash cast. He’d be super op as according to the weapons triangle, Spears beat swords, so all the Fire Emblem characters would be demolished by him, so to keep the game balanced the fans have decided to rally against him.
"Q-quick! Add Edelgard and Hector to bring balance back into the world!"

D

Deleted member

Not so much during ballot time, but I recall people saying he had a pretty large Brawl following (correct me if I'm wrong). The fact that Sakurai had to include a disclaimer for his Miiverse AT reveal that Skull Kid wasn't playable got me thinking that he knew there was a fanbase for the character.

That's something that might have stuck to him even beyond what ballot results said. After all, I don't see anyone believing Simon was in the top 10.

I do keep forgetting about Paper Mario and Shantae, though. I just wonder if Paper Mario's true ballot support was hurt with the recent state of the franchise and if Shantae really had more support than Shovel Knight. The vocal outcry for SK was pretty intense during ballot time, but it still only got him an AT.
I honestly wondered why Sakurai went out of his way to mention that Skull Kid was an Assist Trophy. I knew he was popular amongst Zelda fans, but I guess I underestimated his popularity... and I love Majora's Mask myself, but I didn't consider him a potential fighter.

As for Simon, he most likely was a Sakurai choice. I don't have the source for this, but I've heard that Sakurai is a fan of Castlevania, which most likely influenced Simon's addition to the roster. It's possible that Simon probably did well on the ballot with a silent and dedicated following, but this was around the time when people wanted Snake back and there being a lot of controversy surrounding Konami... hmm...

All we can do is speculate on the ballot results. Since it was the ballot that influenced King K. Rool to return and be added to the roster, I do believe that Bandana Dee's chances have increased. As many others have said before here, a lot of people underestimate his popularity.

"Q-quick! Add Edelgard and Hector to bring balance back into the world!"
Oho!

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I honestly wondered why Sakurai went out of his way to mention that Skull Kid was an Assist Trophy. I knew he was popular amongst Zelda fans, but I guess I underestimated his popularity... and I love Majora's Mask myself, but I didn't consider him a potential fighter.

As for Simon, he most likely was a Sakurai choice. I don't have the source for this, but I've heard that Sakurai is a fan of Castlevania, which most likely influenced Simon's addition to the roster. It's possible that Simon probably did well on the ballot with a silent and dedicated following, but this was around the time when people wanted Snake back and there being a lot of controversy surrounding Konami... hmm...

All we can do is speculate on the ballot results. Since it was the ballot that influenced King K. Rool to return and be added to the roster, I do believe that Bandana Dee's chances have increased. As many others have said before here, a lot of people underestimate his popularity.
NES games like Zelda and Castlevania had a big impact on him, yes. Though I've also heard that Simon may have had a vocal crowd dating back to Brawl thanks to Snake being there. Since Sakurai has answered for a lot of Brawl-era requests thus far, it may have been that combined with decent ballot results and potential negotiating terms with Konami for Snake. I think Brawl popularity, especially if we see Geno and Isaac join, may be what also gets Skull Kid in since it's often forgotten about. It's really a theme with this game so far and it may continue to be.

Bandana Dee's a newer face on the scene but has already gained enough notoriety to fit in as a newcomer alongside these older requests. I'm pretty confident that he's playable.

"Now I'll show you what Hector of Ostia is all about!"

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
Megaton Punch is one of those no-brainer Final Smashes like Blast-O-Matic, I feel like it's gotta be it. I wanna see him finally crack Popstar.
Personally I'd rather see Megaton Punch in some of his other moves (Down Special, Down Throw, Down Smash) and his final smash being a waddle dee stampede similar to Falcons FS. The spiritual successor to the big gay dance/Dedede's old FS.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Personally I'd rather see Megaton Punch in some of his other moves (Down Special, Down Throw, Down Smash) and his final smash being a waddle dee stampede similar to Falcons FS. The spiritual successor to the big gay dance/Dedede's old FS.
Why not go full hog and have him run on top of a giant ball made out of Waddle Dees, like the ones in Star Allies?

NES games like Zelda and Castlevania had a big impact on him, yes. Though I've also heard that Simon may have had a vocal crowd dating back to Brawl thanks to Snake being there. Since Sakurai has answered for a lot of Brawl-era requests thus far, it may have been that combined with decent ballot results and potential negotiating terms with Konami for Snake. I think Brawl popularity, especially if we see Geno and Isaac join, may be what also gets Skull Kid in since it's often forgotten about. It's really a theme with this game so far and it may continue to be.
Knock on wood there, I wonder if people have been asking for Goemon since then, as well.

Last edited:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
A bit late, but Bandana Waddle Dee needs a unique moveset. He doesn't play anything like any other Super Smash Bros. character, since he uses a spear. I still think he's one of the likelier characters, since he's had a lot of prominence in advertising for the Kirby series the past few years, and he's popular among the Japanese fanbase and Kirby fans, but he can't be an echo, even a semi-echo like Dixie Kong.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I forget, what were the enemies that gave Kirby the spear ability that Bandana Dee also uses again?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
A bit late, but Bandana Waddle Dee needs a unique moveset. He doesn't play anything like any other Super Smash Bros. character, since he uses a spear. I still think he's one of the likelier characters, since he's had a lot of prominence in advertising for the Kirby series the past few years, and he's popular among the Japanese fanbase and Kirby fans, but he can't be an echo, even a semi-echo like Dixie Kong.
I wonder if Sakurai would be willing to ask Kumazaki for some creative advice, regarding him, since BWD is partly their creation, in a sense.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
If she's under a NDA, Makiko's treading on very thin ice, especially since she voices one of the mainstays.

Still though, that is promising to see.
I honestly find it doubtful she'd know anything.

If Bandana Dee got in, I'd kinda expect him to completely mute. And I'd doubt Kirby would make any noises for his hat as well.

Interestingly, Kirby has so far only used voice clips for Smash Wii U, so maybe she isn't even part of the game, or they're just adding new clips on top of that. I guess we'll see.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
well both meta knight and king ddd have a voice so why leave the little guy out?
This is a point I've always thought had merit. Every Kirby character in Smash has gotten SOME kind of voice. And Bdee has talked in several games (albeit in text, but you get the point.) I can totally see him mute, but in some ways a voice makes sense.

It's possible he could simply go the Olimar route, with sounds for all his movement. The funny thing is, Olimar actually has a voice, which I still don't get why they don't use it. Then there's DK, Bowser and so on with the animal noises when they have VAs...

Honestly, Bandana Dee could be voiced by Robert Downey Jr., knowing Sakurai's weirdness...

Calane

Smash Ace
Same. I mean, he never uses a voice in the Kirby series itself.
Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't he make noises in Kirby Battle Royale when he got hit and stuff? I'm almost certain he did, but I haven't played that game in a while. You know what, I'm going to go check and update this comment if he did.

Edit: Unless my ears are deceiving me, I believe he does. From what I can tell, he makes some weird Inkling-esque gargling sounds.

Edit Again: Oh, looks like I didn't have to go though the trouble of checking in the first place.

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't he make noises in Kirby Battle Royale when he got hit and stuff? I'm almost certain he did, but I haven't played that game in a while. You know what, I'm going to go check and update this comment if he did.
he did he sounds like an inkling

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
It's possible he could simply go the Olimar route, with sounds for all his movement. The funny thing is, Olimar actually has a voice, which I still don't get why they don't use it. Then there's DK, Bowser and so on with the animal noises when they have VAs...
This is what I expect. It's easy to see Dee using goofy/cutesy waddling noises for his movements and separate sound effects for his spear and parasol.

Honestly, Bandana Dee could be voiced by Robert Downey Jr., knowing Sakurai's weirdness...
I would then fully expect Dedede to be voiced by Danny DeVito and Meta Knight to be voiced by Antonio Banderas. That would only be natural.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
Knowing how Makiko Ohmoto discretely foreshadows Kirby games by retweeting Nintendo Directs and giving these interesting comments about what goes on, this quote almost made me had a heart attack. HAL is more than well aware of the Dee's popularity. The whole world should know about how well he's received in Japan, and it's no surprise that Makiko should know. But she ended with "Well, what will happen?"

I'm setting myself up for disappointment. I know I am. It's beyond dangerous to assume Bandana Dee is already in the game, and I apologize for assuming so early.... but he's in.

Bandana Dee is in Smash Ultimate. There's too much going for him, and more evidence points to it literally every DAY.

Bandana Dee is in.
Bandana Dee is in.
I'm playing a very dangerous game.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
Knowing how Makiko Ohmoto discretely foreshadows Kirby games by retweeting Nintendo Directs and giving these interesting comments about what goes on
Whoa whoa whoa hold up? She actually MEANS it when she gets sneaky sneaky winky winky like this? When has she done it before? You're gonna spread that heart attack to me, brother!!!

StormC

Smash Hero
There was a good point made in the Reddit thread that it's very possible she has no idea; for all we know, Kirby's copied BDee move has no voice clip.

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
Whoa whoa whoa hold up? She actually MEANS it when she gets sneaky sneaky winky winky like this? When has she done it before? You're gonna spread that heart attack to me, brother!!!
She's retweeted Nintendo Directs in the past, but only if they're going to announce Kirby news. I believe she's also stated a few comments foreshadowing some games. She's veerrryyyy good at keeping her words vague, but leaves enough for her followers to speculate.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So... anyone else here think that it might be possible that the Dee will get ACTUAL voice clips in Ultimate? Like, ACTUALLY talking and all (and if so, how do you picture him sounding)?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So... anyone else here think that it might be possible that the Dee will get ACTUAL voice clips in Ultimate? Like, ACTUALLY talking and all (and if so, how do you picture him sounding)?
Probably will just sound like a cute lil munchkin ;p

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Probably will just sound like a cute lil munchkin ;p
Well, that's (hopefully) kind of a given, now isn't it?;)

Still, I wonder if the little guy will get an English VA...

I mean, I don't want to jinx things here, but I feel as if Nintendo's recently been having quite the good track record in regards to finding GOOD English VAs for their characters (if Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, WarioWare, and TLoZ: Breath of the Wild are of any indication).

Last edited:

Jakisthe

Smash Cadet
Ah, see, I always imagined him as someone who could represent a large part of the Kirby enemy set, making his moveset more based around setting up mixups between a crew of enemies people might otherwise consider to be individually weak:

• B: Calls in a Waddle Doo, which attempts to waddle over to nearest enemy and slash it's laser in an arc before disappearing, then a Poppy Bros Jr, who tosses 2 bombs at the nearest enemy in range before disappearing, then a Scarfy, who hovers around BD for a moment before transforming into a Mutant Scarfy and launching straight at the nearest enemy. Cycle loops; can have up to 2 at once. BD can of course act while his friends go to town.
  • Side B: Throw a spear on an arc; mash to throw up to three.
  • Up B: Spins spear over head, boosting him up and putting him into a glide state. Has an upward wind effect on any enemies above him, but only does damage within very close range on the sides of the spin.
  • Down B: Calls in a Parasol Dee, who falls from the sky and pulls out a parasol a few characters heights before hitting the ground. Once on the ground, runs off to nearest edge and jumps off again. Has a 50% chance of dropping parasol on landing.

Last edited:

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
Knowing how Makiko Ohmoto discretely foreshadows Kirby games by retweeting Nintendo Directs and giving these interesting comments about what goes on, this quote almost made me had a heart attack. HAL is more than well aware of the Dee's popularity. The whole world should know about how well he's received in Japan, and it's no surprise that Makiko should know. But she ended with "Well, what will happen?"

I'm setting myself up for disappointment. I know I am. It's beyond dangerous to assume Bandana Dee is already in the game, and I apologize for assuming so early.... but he's in.

Bandana Dee is in Smash Ultimate. There's too much going for him, and more evidence points to it literally every DAY.

Bandana Dee is in.
Bandana Dee is in.
I'm playing a very dangerous game.
WELCOME TO THE GOING ALL-IN CLUB. EITHER WE MAKE IT OUT ALIVE OR WE’RE COMPLETELY ****ED.

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
I support Bandana Dee.
Cute and a spear based fighter, both of these factors give more diversity to smash. Kirby needs an extra character after so many games releasing these past couple of years.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
hang on what did the va say? cant seem to find it through the link
The put it simply, a fan basically said "I want BDee in Smash" and she replied with "Well well, what will happen?" with a smiling/blushing emoji next to it.

It may mean nothing at all, but the bias in me would like to believe that she's hinting at Dee's inclusion.

D

Deleted member

She most likely doesn't know if Bandana Dee is in the game or not. From what it sounds like here, she likes to be vague to make the fans speculate what is going on. If that's the case, I will take this as nothing worth noting.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The put it simply, a fan basically said "I want BDee in Smash" and she replied with "Well well, what will happen?" with a smiling/blushing emoji next to it.

It may mean nothing at all, but the bias in me would like to believe that she's hinting at Dee's inclusion.
we really do have supporters everywhere

Top Bottom